Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Wingster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2003/12/18 17:38:12 (permalink)
There are 3 Substation IIs here in Hemet, CA, and I agree that they are DELICIOUS! I also like how the daily special is the sub # that coincides with what day of the month it is. I personally have started to memorize them . . .
DanaJ
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2003/12/18 19:23:53 (permalink)
Either way, that's really cool Schbuzz. I was born at that hospital in the summer of '81. It's been long gone though. I remember when it closed down, kinda sad.
I have a lot of memories of that area. I raerly go back anymore though. My paternal grandparents lived in Jeffersonville, which is an area of norristown basically. They've since passed on, and we sold the house. That area is really nice, and if I was older I would have loved to buy the little house:(
My maternal grandparents lived on George St. We've since sold that 3 story twin. The area is so bad now, it was hell to sell.

As a side note to Mike's question- Lou's opened up a "sister" store not too far from me, called "Lou's Too." They have good food and sandwhiches
Acuff-12
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2003/12/31 12:02:03 (permalink)
In Lincroft , NJ. on Neuman Springs RD is "Joyces Subs" Thye are among the best I know of.
Matt
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2003/12/31 12:50:10 (permalink)
Acuff 12: Is your handle in reference to the great Roy Acuff of "Wreck on The Highway" fame?
Acuff-12
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/01/02 15:21:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Acuff 12: Is your handle in reference to the great Roy Acuff of "Wreck on The Highway" fame?

Yes, I was at a loss for what handle to use, so I use the one I use on Ebay< and yes is is for the great country singer.
matt
hoagy junkie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/01/12 17:51:31 (permalink)
I was yakkin' about beef and almost missed this thread. I am a true hoagy/sub/po-boy/hero/zep/dagwood...lover. I guess it's the hodge-podge of all the different flavors going on at once. I DO NOT like subway... way too commercial, not much flavor or fake flavor...blah, but they are everywhere now. Quizno's is good 'cause of the toastie flavor. Blimpie's is better and fresher tasting. However nothing beats the neighborhood ma & pa's for the yum yum yum. I used to live in chicago and now I reside in the south suburbs of Chgo. There was a place called Charlie's on E.79th St. that had excellent heros (not sure if it's still there). Then there is Taurus Flavors (Chicago and Suburban Midlothian) that has the most fabulous hoagys (and steaks) on the planet. Home of the Hoagie on 111th St. is running a real close 2nd but cost a bit more and the wait time is awful. Extremely expensive but really good is Unbeatable Eatables in CountryClubHills. I will never go back to Mr. Submarine or Wilson's (yuk). There are several other good ones but it's been a while since I've been to ant of them.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/01/12 19:21:08 (permalink)
I like to go into Subway when they are baking bread. It smells so good. I once ask them to sell me some of the bread. Would you believe they gave itto me?

Subway, the best of the refrigerator sandwich.

I personally think they are very good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/01/12 21:29:15 (permalink)
I like Longhorn Po Boys in Austin.
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/01/12 22:12:11 (permalink)
jersey mikes has got WAY better subs than subway!! when i first moved out here (indy) in 87 we went to a subway for the first time.. my husband ordered a salami/provalone sub --the lady looked at us like we each had three heads.. she had NO idea what provalone was.. we tried to explain it to her-- that's a tough one... we "settled" for turkey and white cheese (still not sure what kind it was).. and the way they used to cut the bread--what was up with that 'V- Thing"?? they don't do that anymore and their menu has grown-- i think they have a few types of cheese now--but ---- still like jersey mikes ( they also are the only place around here where i can get a roast beef /swiss sub and the roast beef is red not brown!!!)
man-- do i miss the east coast sometimes.... :)
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/01/12 22:18:20 (permalink)
Y'all are making me drool. I truly love sandwichs! Here in the western panhandle of Nebraska in a small town called Ogallala, there is a place called "the Spruce Street Sandwich Shop". They make the BESt homemade sandwichs every. My personal favorite is the reuben. The buns there are all homemade, so picture this. A fresh, homemake rye bun, loaded with swiss cheese, sauerkruat, LOTS of tender roasted, not grilled, corned beef, thinly sliced and piled high, russian dressing on the side! Truly to Die For. Not to mention there many other sandwichs, AND homemade, top to bottom cream pies! Wow

Nebraska Woman
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/02/12 23:29:33 (permalink)
Wegmans has outstanding subs if you can eat one. They are patterned after the DiBellas submarine chain in Rochester and in the Buffalo suburbs. Here is their website: http://dibellas-subs.com/
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/02/12 23:48:00 (permalink)
I had my first Jersey Mike's just yesterday, in North Carolina. At least they got the Italian sub concept right, compared with Subway, et al. But it's like the pizza thing, and you can't get it away from the East Coast. You just can't get the right Italian bread (and cappacola and pepperoni and provolone) when you're out of the Northeast hoagie/sub/grinder/zep zone.
andypants
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/03/27 20:16:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

I had my first Jersey Mike's just yesterday, in North Carolina. But it's like the pizza thing, and you can't get it away from the East Coast. You just can't get the right Italian bread (and cappacola and pepperoni and provolone) when you're out of the Northeast hoagie/sub/grinder/zep zone.

Is pepperoni really Italian? I always thought it was an American invention. I do like a little pepperoni on an Italian coldcut,
few places include it. That is one thing Subway does right.
Rob9909
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/05/23 18:01:06 (permalink)
I'm from the Norristown area and just happened upon this thread. I think the best place to get Zeps is "Eve's" up on Sandy Hill. Lou's on Main St. is good too but I prefer "Eve's". Try to get a zep at lunchtime without waiting in line. West Conshohocken Bakery rolls, really strong onions and a large portion for your dollar are three of the qualities that make the Eve's Zeps the best for me. There was also a good steak and zep shop out near BlueBell on 202N called "Pudgie's". They were huge sandwiches. I remember getting one for lunch when I worked out that way and eating the other half for dinner. If your in Norristown in the summer don't forget to get a Buddy's Water Ice too. Its located on E. Main St. past Lou's. Don't get side tracked by Marcy's which is a block before Buddy's. I prefer Buddy's over Marcy's or Rita's anyday but I grew up on Buddy's. Its not so syrupy and you can drink it with a straw or eat it with a spoon. Watermelon is their signature flavor.
DanaJ
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/05/24 10:13:44 (permalink)
Pudgie's is definately a winner with my family. My mom was born and raised in Norristown, and my dad moved there after he came home from Vietnam.
mmusgrove
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/08/24 16:25:35 (permalink)
Subway is not good for anything. It's the McDonalds of Subs, if you like that sort of thing.
Jersey Mike's is awesome. Try it if you haven't and you'll never go back to Subway. Quizno's is OK but turns into a mushy mess if you don't eat immediately. JM's rocks.
Kent Daniels
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/08/24 23:11:42 (permalink)
I used to think that Wichita would be consigned to nothing but Subway and Quiznos (which I do eat both occasionally), but we finally got a local franchise of Planet Sub, which started in Lawrence Kansas as Yellow Sub but now is located in Kansas City, Omaha, and maybe another couple cities. They bake fresh wheat bread daily, they have something like 42 different subs (including about a dozen meat-free options). I like the Roast Beef Club, and the Spicy Italian, and the Meatball, and the Sausage, and the Turkey Club, and the Beefeater, and the Dagwood...and well, they're all good, those that I've tried, but I've missed quite a few of them.
They've got a menu out on the web, with locations, if you're interested and in their area.
[url]www.planetsub.com[/url]
jerkynes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/09/18 18:16:40 (permalink)
I was born in Sacred Heart Hospital and lived in Norristown until I was 11 years old. Norristown had the best food. Tomato pie, cheese steaks, soft pretzels, zeps, pizza, water ice. Damn! I miss that place! I now live in West Virginia and the bread here sucks. I've lived here for almost 30 years and I can't understand why the bakers here can't make good bread. It's funny because the people here think that the Italian bakeries make good bread. It's pathetic. I wish I was in Norristown so I could get real bread! You people in Norristown don't know how good you have it. Please don't take your bread for granted.
HALLOHEAD
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/09/30 02:48:04 (permalink)
Duz anyone remember a small sub shop called Quiznos in Columbus, Ohio from the 60's - 70's. Jezz Louiese that was one great college feeding trough. Me and my buds ate there 3 or 4 times a week! And survived!
Woo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/10/28 07:10:42 (permalink)
Hey Route 11 - I grew up in Western Mass, and not only do they have great grinders there, now we finally say the Red Sox are great. too!Yesterday took a trip to Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati, and stopped at a place called "New England Grinders". I was so psyched! What a disappointment - they were definitely NOT New England grinders! I saw many places tooting themselves as East Coast Grinders, N.E. Grinders, but they were not oven baked on the right kind of rolls.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/10/28 18:08:39 (permalink)
To most people here in Knoxville, a "steak" is typically a ribeye eaten at Texas Roadhouse or Outback. And, a sub comes from, of course, Subway. It was so neat for me this week to be in Philly, Wash DC, Baltimore area. Seemed like every corner and hole in the wall joint was advertising steaks, subs, and salad, or pizza, and to know these were cheese steaks, and real subs, etc was so refreshing and a real downer to come home to.

carl reitz
RC51Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 446
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/12/06 07:51:29 (permalink)
I finally got up to Eve's Zeps in Norristown. You can't do much better in life than stand in line and order a zep. Cooked salami, cheese, onions, tomatoes, oregeno, oil and vinegar. The roll really makes it though. Italian bread with more of a texture and structural integrity of a sourdough or baguette to sop up the oil without falling apart. I wish they had a hard salami version like Lou's but great eating nonetheless.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/12/06 12:55:51 (permalink)
I just had a sandwich from Sub Station. They are alot better than Subway. They slice their meat fresh and layer it on the bread after you order. I had a roast beef, turkey and ham sub with mayo, mustard,oil, vinegar, oregeno, salt, pepper, lettuce and onions and cheese. It was good, but now I smell like a sub sandwich.
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/12/06 18:22:21 (permalink)
I don't like Subway so much --- it seems like no matter what you order it all tastes the same? I will try this Quinzos place, I think we have one near. I also don't like Blimpie's much. Arby's subs, when they had them, were very good particularly the Italian sub.

Andrea
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/12/06 19:12:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by AndreaB

I don't like Subway so much --- it seems like no matter what you order it all tastes the same? I will try this Quinzos place, I think we have one near. I also don't like Blimpie's much. Arby's subs, when they had them, were very good particularly the Italian sub.

Andrea

do you like any local NON CHAIN mom n pop sub shops????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
AndreaB
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/12/06 19:15:37 (permalink)
We don't have any local mom 'n pop sub shops here that I know of, otherwise I'd be the first to try.

Andrea
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/12/06 19:34:16 (permalink)
quote:

We don't have any local mom 'n pop sub shops here that I know of, otherwise I'd be the first to try.

Andrea

Surely there must be some in Lexington. That's not too far from you.
AndreaB
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/12/06 19:37:49 (permalink)
Not that I know of re mom & pop in Lex. Unless I've not heard of them. We've got Subway, Blimpie's and Quinzos, but not heard of any mom & pop's re subs.

Andrea
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/12/06 19:46:26 (permalink)
quote:

Not that I know of re mom & pop in Lex. Unless I've not heard of them. We've got Subway, Blimpie's and Quinzos, but not heard of any mom & pop's re subs.

Andrea

Where did people go 30 or 40 years ago for subs in Lexington before quizno's, blimpies and subway? Lexington is a decent sized city. I bet some of the local pizza joints have subs on their menu as well. Please don't tell me that there are no mom n pop pizza joints in Lexington That I would not believe.
AndreaB
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. 2004/12/06 19:51:15 (permalink)
Everything in Lex is shopping center after shopping center with all the same chains. It is a disgrace. It has lost its character. There's Mcdonalds, Pizza Hut, Fazolis, Taco Bell etc on every corner but for mom 'n pop sub places I'd like to hear of one. And, I'm not being facetious, just honest. Chains, chains, chains abound.

Andrea
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1