Hoboken, NJ?

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
2011/06/30 09:42:47 (permalink)

Hoboken, NJ?

Well, the girls want me to take them to The Cake Boss' bakery. I'm not against that, I suppose. Is it worth it? Is there anything else we should do in Hoboken? What's it like there?

edit: It's pretty close to NYC; maybe pizza? Grimaldi's?

post edited by Mosca - 2011/06/30 09:45:00

9 Replies Related Threads

Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Hoboken, NJ? 2011/06/30 09:58:23 (permalink)
    My recommendation: Do not...I repeat DO NOT make a special trip to Hoboken to visit the cake boss.  I'm telling you, it will be ZERO fun.  You will wait on line for multiple hours.  You will not meet any of the people on the show.  You will not be on the show.  You will not be treated kindly by the bouncers (yes, bouncers).  You will not be treated kindly by the neigboring store owners.  You will certainly not find parking anywhere near the place.  Most importantly, you will not eat anything remarkable.  You will, however, spend WAY too much money on bad pastries. 

Hoboken itself, is a wonderful, walkable, food-centric little city.  There's a dozen bakeries worth visiting: all better than that silly cake boss place.  Giorgio's is my favorite for sweets, but for bread, Dom's is the place.  It's also a  pizza heaven.  My opinion: Benny's has the best Neopolitan slice, Torna's makes the best Sicilian. 

Hoboken has some of the best views of Manhattan along the waterfront.  The Hudson Riverfront Park is just spectacular. You can visit Frank Sinatra's birthplace; you can climb up to Castle Point on the campus of the Stevens Institute; or just stroll up and down Washington Street.  It's a fun day; and a very, very easy trip from Manhattan by Path or by boat.
    post edited by Pigiron - 2011/06/30 10:00:56
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hoboken, NJ? 2011/06/30 10:13:15 (permalink)
    THANK YOU SO MUCH, Pigiron! I suspected as much, but who knows. What I REALLY wanted to do tomorrow was go to Reading PA, to Fred's Music and BBQ Supply. Fred is known as The Smokin' Guitar Player, and he is hosting the MidEggLantic Fest. I can't make the Fest, I'm working, but I want to go and meet the guy. Blues and BBQ, that is a good combination. Anyone who organizes a life around those poles is worth meeting, I think. Or at least I'll find out.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Hoboken, NJ? 2011/06/30 11:35:47 (permalink)
    Mosca, Pigiron is right! Go to Reading!
    josefinajoisey
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:Hoboken, NJ? 2011/06/30 13:16:52 (permalink)
    I 100% agree about Carlo's Bake Shop.  Run away...run away!!!!  I never thought there was anything special about the place - but it's right across from City Hall, and in NJ, that means alot!
    That being said, Hoboken is a great, great food town.  Try Piccolo's for excellent cheesesteak and turkey sandwiches. (They play Frank Sinatra music and the walls are covered with pictures of winning horses at the local track.  They held out during the gentrification of Hoboken, and the luxury apartment building is built around the place)  La Isla (on Washington St near City hall) has delicious casual Cuban food.  There are lots of places to shop, and the waterfront has been built up and is a great place to walk.
    Go to the campus of Stevens Institute of Technology....you can imagine you are in a scene from "On the Waterfront", which was filmed in Hoboken.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:Hoboken, NJ? 2011/06/30 20:21:51 (permalink)
    I agree with what's been posted here: Dom's bakery is a time warp find, Benny Tudino's makes great (not the best in NJ, but pretty dam good) pizza. The views of Manhattan across the river from the Stevens Campus are great, etc etc. Piccolo's for cheesteaks is another old-school treat. Washington Street is an urban walkers paradise for window shopping and food shopping.

A couple of places not yet mentioned:

Helmer's for decent German food and good  beer in an old time saloon (which had a bad fire several years ago, but was lovingly restored):
    http://www.helmersrestaurant.com/

Leo's Grandeview Tavern: About as old school Italian Hoboken as it gets. Yes, Franke-you-know-who was a regular patron back in the day. The food is not going to knock your socks off but it's decent and a great place to relax and forget about the 20 and 30 somethings prowling Washington street on weekends:
    http://www.leosgrandevous.com/

About parking: Yes, it's not easy at all. In general, the farther north you are on Washington Street and then to the west from there, the better your chances. The whole town is only about 20 short blocks long, north to south, so you still won't be too far from the center of things.

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4567
    Re:Hoboken, NJ? 2011/06/30 20:58:22 (permalink)
    Mosca....Buddy.....I know you are going to find this hard to believe, but I am going to take a contrarian position on this subject.

I was just at the wedding of a very good friends daughter.  She wanted a wedding cake from "The Cake Boss".  4 grand later, we were doing the math(my accountant was at my table).  4 G's divided by 150 guests = $26.60/ slice, or $2.60 per bite, based on 10 bits per slice.  And the cake was nothing to write home about.  But, ya know what, my buddy could afford it, his daughter adored it, and that was all that mattered.

Take your family, load them up in the station wagon, and have a glorious day.  It won't be long before you are excluded from their plans(freakin boyfriends).

Just don't do what my dentist did.  He stood in line, ordered a cannoli, and proceeded to tell anybody who would listen that the worst cannoli in Pittston was better than this one" />
    cmarie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:Hoboken, NJ? 2011/06/30 21:30:28 (permalink)
    Definitely stop in at Fiore's on Adam's Street. Get sandwiches to takeout and eat along the waterfront or at the very least bring some of their delicious fresh mozzarella to bring home.

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hoboken, NJ? 2011/06/30 22:01:58 (permalink)
    Well, they don't want to go to Hoboken, they want to go to Cake Boss. So, I showed them this thread, and now I can go to Fred's Music & BBQ Supply!
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:Hoboken, NJ? 2011/06/30 22:13:55 (permalink)
    <<Definitely stop in at Fiore's on Adam's Street.>>

Oh yeah! I knew there was another place I wanted to mention. Best Roast Beef and Muttz my son and I ever had. Took him and a Stevens friend of his for take out lunch one day. On the other hand, we were not impressed at all with Biggies Clam bar. Small clams, lousy service.

Mosca, you should go to Hoboken at some point anyway. As you can see, there's lots to do and eat.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1