Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
sodawater43
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/04/16 15:13:31 (permalink)
Just received a note from my friends in Wheeling WV about Hocutt's move. Will be in that area in July and look forward to another visit
with Travis and his family. Thay have truly great food.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10496
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/04/21 09:08:43 (permalink)
I did make it down to Hocutt's for dinner last week. I had no trouble finding the new building as it sits right next to the road on a busy highway in Bridgeport, OH. The building itself used to be a Ponderosa.

As soon as you walk in, this menu board is the first thing you see.

A friendly young lady took my order and then showed me to a seat. Hocutt's is now offering a buffet, which they hadn't before. Despite my sobriquet, I am not generally a buffet guy. But, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try several different items I haven't tried before, so that is what I ordered. Everything was good, especially the chicken wings, which I will get again in the future. And most importantly, the amazing hushpuppies, which automatically come with every meal, were just as delicious!

I did get several orders to go, including a Southern dog which I ate on the drive home.

I spoke to Travis, who seemed really pleased with the new place and the public's response so far. I have no doubt that Hocutt's will quickly become the most popular restaurant in town!
GeoNit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/04/21 12:20:02 (permalink)
Here's a map link for Hocutt's new location, replacing a Ponderosa:

http://foodpage.us/418958?showmap=1&toz=
Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/04/21 20:06:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by GeoNit

Here's a map link for Hocutt's new location, replacing a Ponderosa:

http://foodpage.us/418958?showmap=1&toz=

Well, this might be the first time that something good came out of the Ponderosa.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/04/21 20:18:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr
quote:
Well, this might be the first time that something good came out of the Ponderosa.

GeoNit,
Wait a minute!!! You're forgetting The Cartwrights!!!!!
Having A Bonanza, Ort. Carlton in Pine-Studded Athens, Georgia.
P. S. I've got at least one RCA LP of Bonanza-related material, Lorne Greene's solo albums excluded (I own at least one of those, too).
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/04/21 23:40:07 (permalink)
I have to admit, I love the idea of a great Roadfood place taking over where a chain couldn't make it. Here is hoping that this is the start of a trend!
Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/04/22 20:55:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr
quote:

GeoNit,
Wait a minute!!! You're forgetting The Cartwrights!!!!!
Having A Bonanza, Ort. Carlton in Pine-Studded Athens, Georgia.
P. S. I've got at least one RCA LP of Bonanza-related material, Lorne Greene's solo albums excluded (I own at least one of those, too).

Which one had Michael Landon? If the Ponderosa had Landon I would stand corrected as Landon later went on to be an angel, and most angels are good...with the exception of Lucifer, but I digress....
McJeff
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/05/10 01:50:08 (permalink)
I make the trip from Baltimore, Maryland, to Braxton County, West Virginia, a few times a year - less often than I used to because of school. Last year, or maybe it was the year before, by now, I postponed the trip for a week and went 3 hours out of my way to stop at Hocutt's.

Extremely impressed. Next time I go to WV, I'm stopping by Hocutt's again.

I went there with the mom. Got there around 3 pm, in between the lunch and dinner shifts, and so it was just Mr. Hocutt, a couple locals, and two girls who might've been his daughters. I ordered hush puppies, fried green tomatoes. She got the pork with a side of coleslaw, I got the "Swamp Platter" - fried catfish, fried frogs legs and fried alligator, with a side of fries.

First, Mr. Hocutt came out and said the tomatoes had started turning pink. He offered to fix them up for us anyway, and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten. It had all the crunch of green tomatoes, but the juice and flavor of fully ripened ones. The hushpuppies were sweet and crispy and I could've ordered two more buckets of them.

The pork was great - Carolina style sauce, up in very tiny pieces. I didn't get a chance to try the slaw. The frog legs were the one disappointment, greasy and tasteless. They might have been undercooked, but I've had froglegs maybe 4 times in my life, and am no great judge of what makes a good one. The catfish was a bit on the delicate side, but the fry was delicious, and the pepper vinegar that was on all the tables spiced it up. The alligator bits were the high spot, I could've eaten them hand over fist like popcorn. The fries I don't remember well, I want to say they were very good but not spectacular - they certainly didn't compare to some of the other stuff I'd already had.

Towards the end, as I was adding hot sauce and pepper vinegar to my fries (I'm a spicy food loving guy), Mr. Hocutt came out with a little plastic cup full of something like I've never seen - it was a pasty sort of thing made out of oil and hot peppers. By accounts, it was spicy enough that I turned so red it showed through my hair. Delicious. He talked to us about how it takes him several hours to make his pork.

On the way out, he was happy to fill our dog's water bowl so he could get a drink.

The only really bad note was that the ice cream cooler was dismantled and obviously out of action. It was a very hot august day and I'd been looking forward to having some.

The worst thing about Hocutt's is that the food really sticks to your ribs, and so you can't keep eating it.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/05/10 04:29:20 (permalink)
McJeff-
I'm so glad you had such a good experience at Hocutt's. Thanks for telling us about it. I personally have never tried the swamp platter, but it always seems to be available.

By the way, I don't think they sell ice cream at all anymore. As a matter of fact, I don't know if they sell any desserts, now.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 634
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/05/17 01:17:58 (permalink)
Well, I finally made it to Hocutts. I had to drop my motorcycle off in Bellaire so I told the wife we were going to stop in Bridgeport no matter what. We both opted for the buffet as it was early and they had only been open for 30 minutes. The hushpuppies were incredible. I cant wait to go back to have them again. I had the pulled pork sandwich (well two of them, one regular pork with hot sauce and the other the western bbq pork)which was really good. Had the beans and weenies which was alright, italian sausage that was fantastic, and the wings which I liked a lot. My second plate had some green beans which were incredible (my wife's favorite thing in the world), some mac-n-cheese that was kind of bland, a few more wings and a small piece of meatloaf that was good. Topped it all off with a piece of very good chocolate cake.

I'm impressed and cant wait to go back. My wife wants to go for dinner one evening so that she can sample the rib plate. I'd also like to order a plate off the menu next time just to sample some things that werent offered at the buffet. I never did shoot the breeze or introduce myself to Travis as he looked to be busy, but i'm sure he'll be seeing me again soon. i have to pick my bike up in just a few more days.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/05/19 11:02:35 (permalink)
tkitna-
I was wondering when you were going to make it to Hocutt's. Glad to hear you liked it as much as you did. Thanks for the tip on the Italian sausage, the green beans and the chocolate cake, none of which I have had before. But, there are already too many things I like to eat here, how am I going to eat everything I want to?
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/05/20 18:52:49 (permalink)
Next time you go down BB, shoot me that email. If I dont have to work, i'll definatly be there. I'm heading over Friday again.
DPK99
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/07/29 18:07:47 (permalink)
I made the trip to Hocutt's this weekend from Pittsburgh, and Hocutt's was not there any more. The building seems to host an indoor yard sale. Anyone know what happened?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/07/29 18:15:20 (permalink)
DPK99-
Unfortunately, it was reported a few weeks ago here on Roadfood that Hocutt's had closed. Here is the link to the other thread.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28841

Very sad!
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2008/07/31 03:55:11 (permalink)
This is sad. My brother and best friend wanted to go down sometime next week. What a bummer.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2009/07/23 10:14:38 (permalink)
Does anybody know what Travis Hocutt is doing now?  I would love to know.  He is way too good of a cook to be making great food somewhere!
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/13 02:13:59 (permalink)
Good news. Hocutts is open again, but this time its located right on main street in Wheeling WV. My wife and I are taking her vehicle down to get tires today and we're going to stop. I'll report back.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/13 02:19:36 (permalink)
Forgot the details in case anybodys planning a trip. Its better to call first.

1323 Main St, Wheeling, WV, 26003. Phone: (304)230-4288
Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1034
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/13 04:31:17 (permalink)
I, for one, am eagerly awaiting your report.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/13 09:56:05 (permalink)
That makes two of us.  Make sure you get there early.  Travis Hocutt told me that once they run out of 'que, they close and that is happening fairly often.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/14 20:50:49 (permalink)
The wife and I hit Hocutts today. Was suppossed to be yesterday, but our tire appointment got changed. Anyways, its not a sit down restaraunt by any means anymore. You order at the window and they have a tent placed over some picnic windows and thats where you eat. There was one worker there and it wasnt Travis so I didnt get to talk to him. We ordered two pulled pork sandwiches, slaw on the side and an order of hushpuppies. We would have probably ordered something else, but there was gail force winds out today and we figured that would be the easiest to eat. I thought everything was awesome, but I found out that my wife doesnt like vinegar based BBQ (Carolina). Oh well. The Hushpuppies were good with the honey butter. My wife thought they tasted like elephant ears at the fair and I guess they did to a certain extent. The pulled pork and slaw was awesome too in my opinion, but I wished it were nicer out (or we could have parked closer to eat in the car) so we could have ordered maybe the ribs or something else. All in all, the food was good as usual, but i'm afriad the location and setting might hamper the buisness. The wife took a few pictures, but they came out sideways and i'm not sure how to fix that. Heres one of me ordering anyways, but sorry for the mess up.
[img]http://mail.aol.com/32797-111/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=27412441&folder=NewMail&partId=1[/img]

If your around Wheeling, its definately worth the stop, but dont bring the whole family thinking your going to get a good, sit down supper.

tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/14 20:52:35 (permalink)
Sorry, the picture was sent through AOL and didnt come out either. Terrible report, but I tried.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/15 08:26:27 (permalink)
tkitna-
Thanks so much for the report back.  Glad to hear that the food was so good, but sitting outside on a cold/windy day is going to be tough.

I've been there twice so far, both times under unusual circumstances.  The first time, it was Italian Fest in Wheeling.  While Hocutt's was open, they had a different menu than they usually do for the Fest.  The second time, it was a Blues Festival in the nearby park.  Hocutt's (the restaurant) was closed, but was serving out of a trailer in the nearby park.  Cousin Johnny and I still enjoyed excellent ribs and slaw dogs.   The hope here is that next time I go down, the regular building will be open and I can take some photos and write an official Roadfood review.  

In the meantime, here is Travis Hocutt at his smoker:

karldarlaross
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/15 18:32:58 (permalink)
URGENT PLEASE READ
On the local news tonight there is a story regarding Travis from Hocutts...he was beaten and found in the street andi s in the hospital  and no news on his condition. I have tried copy and pasting the story here but can not seem to get it to go through so here is where you can find the story wtrf (dot) com the headline is wheeling business man beaten...I got it to work, I will leave the link for anyone who wants to check it out themself.

WHEELING -- Wheeling Police Chief Robert Matheny said a local businessman is hospitalized after being beaten early Saturday morning. Travis Holcutt, owner of two barbeque restaurants in the Wheeling area was the victim.
Wheeling Police responded to a call of a man injured near River City on the corner of 14th and Main.
Officers spoke to the Holcutt, and he was taken to an area hospital.
Detectives are aggressively investigating the case tonight.
There is no word on his condition at this hour.
 This is absolutly awful...my husband and I have met Travis and spoke with him many times when we would visit his restaruant. He is such a kind, gentle, funny man. I pray that the police catch who did this to him. Please everyone pray for him and his family. Thanks. I will update with information as it becomes available.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/15 22:46:43 (permalink)
Oh my goodness, how awful.  I sure hope Travis is okay.  Please keep us updated when you hear some more news.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/15 22:57:05 (permalink)
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/15 22:58:28 (permalink)
Horrible news. I pray he's alright.
chickletone
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/16 10:42:56 (permalink)
Im sorry to say that its been reported they took Travis off life support yesterday, and he has passed away. He left behind a wife and three children. Please keep them all in your prayers during this hard time. Hopefully the Wheeling PD will catch who ever beat him to death.
karldarlaross
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/16 11:46:31 (permalink)
It is with great sadness that I write this. It has been reported and confirmed that Travis dies Friday (yesterday). You may confirm the story at wtrf (dot) com. I pray for his wife and kids that are left behind. This is truly an injustice. I pray that the Police find who did this to a wonderful man. May Travis rest in peace.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hocutt's/Moundsville, WV 2010/10/16 19:34:41 (permalink)
Unbelievable. I'm just at a loss for words.

God bless his family and i'll keep them in my prayers.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1