The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee

yumbo

• Total Posts: 330
Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Mon, 04/14/03 1:16 PM (permalink)
Hi All -

I just returned from a wonderful trip to Milwaukee. Not having that much time to peruse that great city's offerings, I decided to zero in on Jo's Cafe - home of the Hoffel Poffel.

It was unlike anything I've ever had. Diced potatoes, onion, egg, and salami chunks, sizzled on the griddle and then topped with melted cheese. Heavenly comfort food.

I took a picture of the thing, and will post it here when I download the pics off my camera. The waitress thought I was nuts for taking a picture of my food.

-Yumbo

Michael Stern

RE: Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Mon, 04/14/03 1:30 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yumbo

Hi All -

I took a picture of the thing, and will post it here when I download the pics off my camera. The waitress thought I was nuts for taking a picture of my food.

-Yumbo

Hey, Yumbo: join the crazy-person food-photographers club! My only problem is that way too many of my pictures of delicious things have one or several bites already taken out of them. I guess my priorities usually are to eat first, take pictures later.

I'm really glad to know that Jo's is still thriving and the hoffel poffel is still there. I've seen vaguely similar dishes in Iowa, but usually without the salami. Did you happen to have one of the caramel pecan sticky buns while there?

yumbo

RE: Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Mon, 04/14/03 1:42 PM (permalink)
      I went for the Cinnamon Rolls

BTW, I *knew* I was in Wisconsin when I heard the waitress ask my dining companion if she wanted a "bax" (i.e., box) for her leftover Hoffel. That Wisconsin "O" is pretty unique.

Later another waitress came out and chatted with us about how they've been getting calls from all over since your book came out. She seemed a little bewildered by it all.

jessicazee

• Total Posts: 132
        RE: Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Mon, 04/14/03 7:39 PM (permalink)
        I live in Milwaukee and have never heard of Jo's Cafe. I;ve had hoppel poppel at Benji's Deli - same thing: eggs, potatoes, onions, peppers, cheese & cheese, with or without salami chunks. I always thought it had Jewish roots, since Benji's is a Jewish deli/diner.

And *I* pronounce my O's right! It's the people in Minnesota that have that accent (see: Fargo, the movie) , although it tends to get a little nasal around here :)

yumbo

RE: Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Tue, 04/15/03 12:51 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by jessicazee

I live in Milwaukee and have never heard of Jo's Cafe. I;ve had hoppel poppel at Benji's Deli - same thing: eggs, potatoes, onions, peppers, cheese & cheese, with or without salami chunks. I always thought it had Jewish roots, since Benji's is a Jewish deli/diner.

And *I* pronounce my O's right! It's the people in Minnesota that have that accent (see: Fargo, the movie) , although it tends to get a little nasal around here :)

It's on Silver Spring and 35th. The dining room is kinda small.

yumbo

RE: Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Tue, 04/15/03 12:55 AM (permalink)
            And I'm sorry if I offended you with my comment about the Wisconsin "O".

jessicazee

RE: Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Wed, 04/16/03 12:33 PM (permalink)
              No offense taken. Everyone's got some kind of accent, whether they think so or not.
              I'll have to check the place out. If the taxman hadn't eaten all my dollars, I'd go right now.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Wed, 04/16/03 1:19 PM (permalink)
                quote:

One of my best friends is from "Wiscahnsin". You guys do have that accent. She pronounces "mountain" like mohntain and does say bax instead of box. So do her family and friends. I think it's cute

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Wed, 04/16/03 1:37 PM (permalink)
                  quote:

Oh, one more thing. I never heard of hoppel poppel and I grew up on Long Island which of course has a significant Jewish population. Any chance it could be Dutch or German??

jessicazee

RE: Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Sun, 04/20/03 8:03 PM (permalink)
                    I Googled it and it seems to be of German origin. I finally went to Jo's cafe, and I can vouch for the goodness of the pecan rolls. They were out of the cinnamon!

Born in OKC

• Total Posts: 428
                      RE: Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Mon, 06/27/05 8:20 PM (permalink)
                      The Breakfast Club on Tybee Island outside Savannah has a dish much like "hoffel poffel." The family and CIA trained chef are from Chicago and have a Polish heritage.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
                        RE: Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Tue, 06/28/05 9:48 AM (permalink)
                        The dish is known as "hoppel poppel," not "hoffel poffel." Hoffel poffel is what it's called at Joe's Cafe in Milwaukee. How it got the name hoffel poffel, I don't know. Probably, someone who pronounced their "p's" as "f's." Like the other day, I farked my car in pront of a pire flug to get some hoffel poffel at Jo's and a foliceman gave me a farking ticket. Shouldn't it be a pireman givng farking tickets instead of a focileman?

lizardqueen1

• Total Posts: 34
                          RE: Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Tue, 06/28/05 10:23 AM (permalink)
                          Haaa! Oh my goodness, I just laughed WAY to loud here at work after reading that Chicagostyledog.

Andoo

• Total Posts: 85
                            RE: Hoffel Poffel at Jo's Cafe in Milwaukee Tue, 06/28/05 1:01 PM (permalink)
                            I too, am from good old Wisconsin, and they do have a definite accent that I can spot 2,000 miles away. In addition to elongating their O's they also use alot of D's in place of TH's. When we go visit every year my wife accuse's me of talking like "them", as soon as I step off the plane and I've lived in California for thirty two years. I've never heard of a Hoffel Poffel. I'll have to try it next year. The oddest thing I've had there lately is a gyros omlett.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com