Hoffman’s BBQ - Gettysburg, PA

Author
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 334
2012/05/09 11:57:28 (permalink)

Hoffman’s BBQ - Gettysburg, PA

Wife and I were coming back towards Gettysburg after a drive up to the Appalachian Trail museum at Pine Grove Furnace State Park (small, but impressive array of stuff) when we spotted this BBQ joint at the side of PA 34.  Actually we spotted their two pink pig statues and picnic tables at the side of the road – the restaurant itself is easy to miss coming from the north.  We had planned on stopping elsewhere for some BBQ, but had stayed longer at the museum than anticipated so we decided to try Hoffman’s.  And we’re glad we did.  Bright, cheerful and spotlessly-clean Mom & Pop (both of whom were working the counter that day) roadfood joint in a re-purposed auto repair building.  We placed our order (pulled pork sandwich [$5.50] & smoked baked potato [$1.59] for her, ½ smoked grilled chicken with cornbread and baked beans [$8.99]) and went out to one of the picnic tables.  Food came out quick and hot.  Wife proclaimed the pulled pork to be “good” (meaning that if we were eating it in NC it would be delicious – but what can I say?  I knew she was a North Carolina BBQ snob when I married her) and the smoked potato very good.  The chicken was a smoky, meaty masterpiece and the sides were fresh and homemade tasting.  Overall a solid choice to add to the list of good roadfood around Gettysburg.  Limited hours: Thursday & Friday 3-7 pm and Saturday 12-7 pm.

http://www.hoffmansbbq.com/
post edited by Treetop Tom - 2012/05/09 12:09:59

11 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Hoffman’s BBQ - Gettysburg, PA 2012/05/09 12:24:58 (permalink)
    Treetop Tom-
    Aren't the unexpected finds the best?  And it sounds like you found a real good one.  Wish I had known about this place when I was in Gettysburg just a few months ago.  Thanks for the tip!
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 522
    Re:Hoffman’s BBQ - Gettysburg, PA 2012/05/09 12:28:08 (permalink)
    "Wife proclaimed the pulled pork to be “good” (meaning that if we were eating it in NC it would be delicious – but what can I say? "

Oh, you have one of those too?? Very difficult to get Mrs. Sippi to love Q anywhere outside the south.

DT
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7838
    Re:Hoffman’s BBQ - Gettysburg, PA 2012/05/09 12:28:56 (permalink)
    Wow

Considering the dearth of  any good places in the Gettysburg area, I'm glad to hear of this new find. I'm hoping to get to Gettysburg somehow or another this summer.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Hoffman’s BBQ - Gettysburg, PA 2012/05/10 07:26:51 (permalink)
    I just was through here last Sunday on the way home from a motorcycle ride to Saint Mary's PA......we hit Clem's Cafe on the way up.....I wish I had known about Hoffman's, we would have definetly stopped.....

Looks and sounds great....PA BBQ, who knew??? Oh, and Clem's Cafe was just as good as the original Clem's...not quite the personality of the original Clem's in Port Matilda...but the food was just as good....
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Hoffman’s BBQ - Gettysburg, PA 2012/05/10 08:47:52 (permalink)
    rebeltruce-
    The word cafe just doesn't seem to go with Clem's, at least from what I remember the original place to be like.  Oh well, as long as the food is still just as good, that it the important thing.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 334
    Re:Hoffman’s BBQ - Gettysburg, PA 2012/05/10 10:39:13 (permalink)
    Davwud

"Wife proclaimed the pulled pork to be “good” (meaning that if we were eating it in NC it would be delicious – but what can I say? "

Oh, you have one of those too?? Very difficult to get Mrs. Sippi to love Q anywhere outside the south.

DT

It’s a weird dynamic that I don’t fully understand, particularly since I have eaten Eastern NC BBQ myself for more than 40 years, even though I grew up in DC.  And as I found out when the local Harris Teeter started selling pretty good (IMHO) NC-produced BBQ in their Deli, it seems to extend beyond where it's made to where it’s purchased and consumed, as well.  Of course, if pressed, I would probably have to admit my own prejudices about other state’s attempts at all things crab (soup, cakes, feasts etc.)
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 828
    Re:Hoffman’s BBQ - Gettysburg, PA 2012/05/10 11:33:03 (permalink)
    Good to know.  This July my brother and I will be judging both KCBS BBQ and ICS Chili in Gettysburg.  If we're not stuffed from judging, we'll stop by.  Maybe Chewey will compete or at least stop by.

http://www.emmitsburg.net...ents/Event%20Flier.pdf
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Hoffman’s BBQ - Gettysburg, PA 2012/05/10 17:33:49 (permalink)
    kozel

Good to know.  This July my brother and I will be judging both KCBS BBQ and ICS Chili in Gettysburg.  If we're not stuffed from judging, we'll stop by.  Maybe Chewey will compete or at least stop by.

That's a fantastic location, beautiful, I'll be there if I'm back from Tucson by then!

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 828
    Re:Hoffman’s BBQ - Gettysburg, PA 2012/05/11 07:56:55 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

kozel

That's a fantastic location, beautiful, I'll be there if I'm back from Tucson by then!

Hope you make it back!
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Hoffman’s BBQ - Gettysburg, PA 2012/05/11 08:32:11 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

rebeltruce-
    The word cafe just doesn't seem to go with Clem's, at least from what I remember the original place to be like.  Oh well, as long as the food is still just as good, that it the important thing.

I have yet to try the Clem's in State College, that is owned by the original Clem.....I think, or I've heard Clem's Cafe is owned by an ex-wife.....The food was indeed as good, but it was a little to clean for my tastes...I mean they had actual indoor plumbing...LOL! 

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10270
    Re:Hoffman’s BBQ - Gettysburg, PA 2012/05/12 04:52:51 (permalink)
    rebeltruce
    buffetbuster
    rebeltruce-

I have yet to try the Clem's in State College, that is owned by the original Clem.....I think, or I've heard Clem's Cafe is owned by an ex-wife.....The food was indeed as good, but it was a little to clean for my tastes...I mean they had actual indoor plumbing...LOL! 

Usually when an old place changes hands, the new owner needs to upgrade to current regs, ie. Indoor plumbing!
    The old outhouse is probably the new smokehouse!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1