Holding Risotto

Author
Cornbread
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 53
2006/09/27 13:42:28 (permalink)

Holding Risotto

I could really use some tips on holding cooked risotto on a steamtable without overcooking it. I have tried to do it in batches, have tried to undercook (which is not the smartest idea)and have hit a brick wall.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.. Thanks!!!

3 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Holding Risotto 2006/09/27 15:14:36 (permalink)
    We have held risotto with wild mushrooms in a chafing dish with no problem. We thoroughly cooked the risotto then before putting it the chafing dish, added extra chicken stock and heavy cream at the end. It stayed perfect all through service.
    Cornbread
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Holding Risotto 2006/09/28 09:22:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

We have held risotto with wild mushrooms in a chafing dish with no problem. We thoroughly cooked the risotto then before putting it the chafing dish, added extra chicken stock and heavy cream at the end. It stayed perfect all through service.

Thanks for the tip chef.. I will give it another go around and let ya know how it turned out.
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Holding Risotto 2006/09/28 09:34:40 (permalink)
    In my experience, it won't hold though an entire meal service, simply because of the nature of the rice. It will continuue to absorb the liquid no matter what. If you are doing a buffet, try using half pans, rather than full -- bring it to 75% done, and then finish (with extra stock and cream as lleechef said) and plan on refilling the pan often. Also, the added fat from the cream will help slow liquid absorbtion in the chafing dish. Finally, remember real risotto is a lot looser than most people serve it.

Quality risotto can't be held for an entire meal service if you are doing table service -- you've got to finish it individually, or you'll end up with a pan of glue. I also think your customers would be sorely dissapointed to receive an order of long-held risotto...

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1