Holiday Beers, Ales. etc.

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2008/12/19 13:10:59 (permalink)

Holiday Beers, Ales. etc.

I just got a bottle of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. I noticed that there are lots of different "holiday" special editions.

1. What do you recommend?
2. What makes the "holiday"?

8 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Holiday Beers, Ales. etc. 2008/12/19 13:12:46 (permalink)
    NYNM

I just got a bottle of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. I noticed that there are lots of different "holiday" special editions.

1. What do you recommend?
    2. What makes the "holiday"?

#2: I meant, "What makes the "holiday" flavor....?

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Holiday Beers, Ales. etc. 2008/12/19 14:24:09 (permalink)
    I like nutty beers around the holiday, so nut browns and such. Maybe even some nutmeg thrown in. Some of my office buddies were drinking Mad Elf Ale, made by Troegs Craft Brewery in Harrisburg PA, at our office pot-luck holiday party.  It is made with west coast cherries and wild honey. They felt it was a little foofoo at first, but found, as they were drinking it, it went really well with everything on the table, from the virginia spiral ham to the decadent desserts and everything in between. http://www.troegs.com/beers_elf.htm
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Holiday Beers, Ales. etc. 2008/12/19 16:47:06 (permalink)
    That sounds good, SR. I'll try it. I opened up the Celebration Ale, with the pointsettias and all on the label, and I didn't like it. It tasted way dark and musty. Sort of like a Scrooge version on the holidays 
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Holiday Beers, Ales. etc. 2008/12/19 16:57:42 (permalink)
    at 11% abv, it's very warming!

Each January-February, the same brewery makes this incredibly hoppy beer: Nugget Nectar. The hops are really really intense., but it's still very drinkable.

I like hoppy beers. So, this beer, which I got to know just last year, is high on my list. I'm looking forward to the '09.
    jesskidden
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re:Holiday Beers, Ales. etc. 2008/12/19 18:01:00 (permalink)
    NYNM

NYNM

#2: I meant, "What makes the "holiday" flavor....?

Sierra-Nevada Celebration Ale kinda pre-dates the era of the flavored and spiced beers (altho' Anchor's Our Special Ale was already on the market, it wasn't a "tradition" quite yet for every brewery to release a different beer every season with a different spice or fruit).

As a result, I've read complaints about people not tasting the spices in Celebration - Hey!  It's flavored with HOPS and lots of 'em - the way an India Pale Ale should be.  

I think of it like this - a brewer's Christmas beer or Holiday beer is their "present" to us (even if we have to pay for it).  Sometimes you got a bike, sometimes you got a sled, sometimes you got some itchy sweater ("WTF- 100% polyester?!")- they were ALL Christmas presents.  I say it's a Christmas beer if the brewery says it's a Christmas beer/Holiday beer/Winter Warmer.

On the other hand, SNCA is one of the longest-lived of the craft-brewed IPA's and I've looked forward to it for, well, I guess decades now.
    crew84row
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 174
    Re:Holiday Beers, Ales. etc. 2008/12/22 11:01:45 (permalink)
    I finished off a couple of bottles of Full Sail's Wassill.  Dark with a hint of nutmeg.  Actually liked it a bit better in the end that the SNCA I still have in the frig.  And at least it helped give me a sense of the season sitting around in shorts and t with the patio door open watching all the snowy football games yesterday.

Whatever you're drinking over the holidays, enjoy and drink responsibly, we want you back here on line next year.
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Holiday Beers, Ales. etc. 2008/12/22 11:10:45 (permalink)
    I enjoy the Harpoon Winter Warmer.  The first though I had when I first tried it two winters ago was, "This tastes like holidays."  It is dark, but not bitter.  As you drink it you are thinking, "beer."  But the after taste is "holidays."  I believe it leaves a cinnamon and nutmeg flavor behind.

It is also very good mixed one to one with Harpoon Hard Cider.  It's called, and tastes just like an, Apple Pie.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    Re:Holiday Beers, Ales. etc. 2008/12/22 12:06:12 (permalink)
    I bought Bell's Christmas Ale this year. On the bottle it says...

From our fields to your holiday. A malt driven scotch ale, made with 100% Michigan grown barley and a blend of Pacific Northwest and Michigan hops. A bit of cheer from the north country sure to make any occasion festive.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1