The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC Mon, 05/29/06 5:35 PM (permalink)
I apologize. This is soooo way off topic, but I don't have time to develop a relationship with new people on a home improvement forum somewhere. I would rather ask those I know and trust.

The question is...what the heck is going on with my ceiling???
The paint on my wall and ceiling in the kitchen started to crack and peel awhile ago. My husband had his expert plasterer friend look at it, and he said it is water damaged and we might have a leak.

But as I look at it, it looks more like when you try to paint over glossy (even though I sanded and primered it myself). So I went at it today, and this is what scraped off easily. I am thinking I need to sand down the edges, primer it again, and paint it.

What do you think??

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
    RE: Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC Mon, 05/29/06 6:35 PM (permalink)
    A trip into the attic is called for. The other side needs to be investigated for evidence of water.

EliseT

RE: Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC Mon, 05/29/06 6:56 PM (permalink)
      The attic is completely dry. The other side of that wall is the start of an addition which has no attic.

We had the roof redone when we moved in 3 years ago.

It definitely appears to be water damage?

enginecapt

RE: Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC Mon, 05/29/06 7:01 PM (permalink)
        I'll only go so far as to say it looks that way from the pics. Which means I wouldn't stake my reputation as Roadfood's most well behaved and kindest poster unless I saw it with my own rheumy eyes.

EDIT: And I ain't driving to no L.A.

Gizmolito

• Total Posts: 312
          RE: Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC Mon, 05/29/06 7:51 PM (permalink)
          If it was a water leak, I think you would have seen water dripping into the light fixture, which is pretty closeto the problem area.

If there is insulation in the attic did you look under it?

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
            RE: Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC Mon, 05/29/06 7:54 PM (permalink)
            It's a lot harder to say what caused the damage now than it might have been if we could see the way it looked before you stripped it, but if the plasterer said "water damage" I'd take that very seriously. It sure looks like he could be right to me. You say there's an addition with no attic on the other side of the wall. If the roof line is not continuous and you have the roof of the addition abutting the exterior of the wall where the damage is, I'd wonder about the flashing or other water-proofing at that abutment. I'd also wonder about water coming in the roof above and running down inside the wall--water can travel in odd ways inside walls and ceilings. There exists a "moisture meter" that can detect moisture in plaster or drywall:

You might ask the plasterer if he has one or knows anyone who does and you will have to wait until after a hard, prolonged rain (which in LA may mean next winter), but it might be worth looking very hard for a leak before you fix everything. Otherwise, next winter or spring you may be fixing it again.

For moisture meters, see http://www.moisturemeterstore.com/

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
              RE: Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC Mon, 05/29/06 8:01 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Gizmolito

If it was a water leak, I think you would have seen water dripping into the light fixture, which is pretty closeto the problem area.

That certainly might happen with a big leak, but with a very small leak only an occasional drip comes through--enough to dampen and stain the drywall or plaster, but not enough to drip into the fixture. I don't think the absence of water in the fixture at all rules out a leak. And remember, SOMETHING caused this problem.

NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
                RE: Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC Mon, 05/29/06 8:37 PM (permalink)
                Well Elise my house is 80 years old and I have lived here for over 20 years and have seen some water damage to plaster in my time and I don't think that's your problem based on the pics I see. You say the attic is dry and a new roof 3 years ago to me would make water damage very unlikely unless you have water pipes running thru your attic.

Water damage I have seen that develops slowly usually has some mold to go along with it which I don't see any in the pics.

Maybe a second opinion and a complete inspection of the attic might help. Just my 2 cents w/o being able to see the problem first hand.

EliseT

RE: Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC Tue, 05/30/06 12:15 AM (permalink)
                  Lack of any dampness, discoloration or mold is what made me think at first that it was not water damage. Plus the plaster expert was probably a little stoned when he made that diagnosis. But then I had second thoughts.

We had that spray-insulation put in last winter and the guys said it was dry as a bone, after rain. Hopefully that stuff will not interfere with a current dampness inspection.

I guess it is either lousy primer-ing on my part, or water damage from the roof or abutment, as suggested.

I'll have someone come look at it before I quick-fix it.

Thanks for your sage wisdom! Nice to know I have an extended family.

PS. Engine Cap'n...you know I'm one heck of a cook if you ever do head out West!

enginecapt

RE: Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC Tue, 05/30/06 12:26 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by EliseT

PS. Engine Cap'n...you know I'm one heck of a cook if you ever do head out West!

Better be careful Elise. You might find me on your doorstep with a hungry look on my face. I've been out West since I was born in Inglewood at Daniel Freeman Memorial 50 years ago. Fontana's only 35 minutes SE of Downtown. I'm closer than you think!

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                      RE: Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC Tue, 05/30/06 12:14 PM (permalink)
                      There is really only 2 reaons for paint to blister or peel, poor priming/prep or moisture. Tape a piece of saran or plastic over the areas and check moisture buildup (it may take awhile to show)

Killz has 2 kinds of primer, I don't recall which is which, I'd use the exterior type to prime or a spar varnish

Copperhedzkettle

• Total Posts: 293
                        RE: Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC Tue, 05/30/06 1:05 PM (permalink)

Hey girl,
                        I was thinkin waterbase vs oilbase kindy thingy here. I'm no pro, jess a do-ityerselfer. Not sure why its only (or at least photoed) towards the top, hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm leanin to a tad of moisture and the oil/water factor.

Of course, Iffen you aint usin Kiltz, could be a prob from before the roof was repaired........ and the damage not being adequately taken care of from the get go..

My $.02
                        Good Luck,
                        Copper

PS I love Way off Topic,
                        Cos I'm way out there.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                          RE: Home Improvement WAY OFF TOPIC Tue, 05/30/06 1:16 PM (permalink)
                          Two levels of repair.

Try the solvent based Kilz w/ a good ceiling paint topcoat.

That doesn't work visit a pro paint store and use a two part epoxy primer w/ a good ceiling paint top coat.

Looks like water damage to me.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com