Home Made Tacos/Banquet

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Home Made Tacos/Banquet 2008/02/13 00:29:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by naxet76

The best tortilla shells are the ones you make at home. Just heat your oil and fry up a corn tortilla in the shape of a shell. My husband can't stand store bought taco shells. Of course, we're of Mexican descent so our grandmas and moms spoiled us. My mom prefers soft, wilted tortillas but I like mine crispy. It takes a while but well worth it!

You're spot on Naxet76! Nothing beats homemade... Worse comes to worse, you haul out that fire hazard thing they call a turkey fryer and do your shells up in it... As long as you dont start a field fire, or burn down the neighbors house, your doing good! (Then there's those safe table top models they sell, but where's the fun in that)?

salindgren
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: Home Made Tacos/Banquet 2008/02/13 05:18:29 (permalink)
Okay guys, I will try out frying the uncooked corn tortillas, I'm sure they will be fine. For breakfast today, I tossed some leftover taco beef into a flour tortilla with cheese and salsa, and zapped it, along with a couple of corn muffins loaded up with serranos, black pepper, ripe olives, green onion, cayenne. I put so much stuff in there, I have to use two eggs, and a little extra 1/2 & 1/2. With a little imagination, you can achieve some real complexity in those $.59 boxes of Jiffy muffins.
-Scott Lindgren
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Home Made Tacos/Banquet 2008/02/13 11:26:07 (permalink)
After reading Trolasater's post I decided to try just boiling the meat, no browning. I tried not to put anymore water than the directions on the taco seasoning said. It worked great except... I did not drain it. I couldn't because I messed up and added the seasoning to start. Then I decided to go ahead and add the onions and bell pepper. There was not to much grease. The meat I use dosen't have much grease Though. This was way easy. Thanks for the info Trolasater.
Joe
salindgren
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: Home Made Tacos/Banquet 2008/02/13 16:15:11 (permalink)
OK, I know some folks are saying they WANT some grease in their tacos, and that's fine. Since I've started work on this item, I've tried NOT to freeze the beef, but... If you don't use it, you lose it, within a few days. It's scary how quickly it will go green. So... Question is: Is it best to (in my method) steam it, then freeze it, then rejuvinate with beef broth and the taco packets? Or what? Ha. I love this, it's really a kind of 1960s type gringo taco we are discussing here.
By the way, I think it's funny how we begin to abbreviate our "user names" here. Now I'm "salin". Which is fine. papajoe8 turns into PJ8, ha. "salindgren" is Scott Arthur Lindgren. FYI. Arthur was my dad's name.
Oh, someone was paying attention when I mentioned "fixing up" the Banquet products. Yes, it's really true, you can turn a junky "mexican" frozen dinner into something OK!
-SL
xo,
-SL
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Home Made Tacos/Banquet 2008/02/13 16:42:43 (permalink)
Sounds good to me Salin!

Freezzin is fine w/ me! I can't member makin tacos w/o
frozen beef.
Joe
essemjay58
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 134
RE: Home Made Tacos/Banquet 2009/07/18 23:50:25 (permalink)
Get yourself some dried chilies, ancho, guajillo, chipotle, etc.  Toast a little bit in a dry pan, clean out the innards and stem, rip up the flesh, toss chunks in the blender with enough very hot water to cover along with some toasted cumin seed, little oregano, couple garlic cloves.  After 10 minutes or so, grind it up 'til almost smooth, pour it over your ground meat, cook it down to the correct consistency.  Add a little salt if you want, some pepper.  Better than any packaged mix.  You will see on them the top 1 or 2 ingredients is salt.  You don't need all that, and a list of ingredients 30 or so items long.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1