Home made gravlax

Author
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1111
2012/01/27 14:03:12 (permalink)

Home made gravlax

I am tired of paying almost seven bucks for a mediocre bagel two slices of lox, some red onion and three to four capers at Einstien Bros. on 183 and have decided to try making my own. A search of the recipe file has nothing so I resorted to the internet. There are some very accomplished cooks and chefs here and humbly ask for any and all advice.

13 Replies Related Threads

moneypenny27
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:Home made gravlax 2012/01/27 14:20:07 (permalink)
    Research a bunch of internet recipes[duh].  I made gravlax in the fall and modified my family's salt-sugar ratios.  Used more salt to sugar this time b/c in the past I had always found the end product too sweet and this time was too salty.  Also this time around used alcohol in the curing process. I wanted vodka, but had to end up using brandy[mothers *sigh*}.  Which made the end product slightly firmer, and imparted a nice flavor. 

Actually, it ended up being so salty that we washed some of the cure off with brandy before eating.  I guess just really watch your salt.

I had gravlax as an appetizer in a restaurant before christmas that used beets or beet juice as part of the cure.  Best gravlax i've ever had.
    brisketboy
    Re:Home made gravlax 2012/01/27 14:37:59 (permalink)
    Thak you mp27. One of the recipes I scouted did indeed call for a tablespon of vodka so I will part with some of my Grey Goose. And I'm off to Sprout's for some salmon and some dill.
    brisketboy
    Re:Home made gravlax 2012/01/27 14:51:56 (permalink)
    I appear to be just full of questions today. One of the recipes on gravlax recommends freezing the fish for seven days to insure any microorganisms (roundworms) are killed. The remainder do not mention this practise. Is this in fact a good idea?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5080
    Re:Home made gravlax 2012/01/27 20:35:14 (permalink)
    I've made fabulous gravlax at home for many years using the following Scandinavian recipe.

From your fishmonger, have him (or her) cut (w/ skin left on) two nice sized portions of salmon filet cut from matching sides of the salmon. Be sure to have him remove the pin bones.

Rub the salmon flesh generously with Aquavit. Then rub the salmon flesh with a mixture of kosher salt, sugar and, freshly ground white pepper. 

Stuff a very large amount of freshly chopped dill between the flesh of the two sides and wrap the salmon tightly flesh to flesh in plastic wrap and place in a suitable casserole dish (not a flat dish) with at least a few pounds of something heavy on top of the salmon and refrigerate. We use weights or a very heavy pan with a 6.6LB. can of food inside the pan.

Flip the salmon over and drain the accumulated liquid from the dish about every 12 hours for at least three days. No less!

After three or four days, unwrap and dispose of the plastic wrap, drain the accumulated liquid and clean off all the dill, salt, pepper and sugar.

You should now be able to slice (with a long narrow, thin bladed knife) lovely slices off the skin. Place the salmon, side skin down on a carving board to do so.

I guarantee, the best Gravlax you've ever had!

post edited by Twinwillow - 2012/02/28 10:34:11
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Home made gravlax 2012/01/28 11:38:19 (permalink)
    Further to my above comments, if you don't have any Aquavit in the house (and chances are, you don't) Vodka or Gin will work good too. IMHO, I think Gin might even be better than Aquavit because of it's herbaceous flavor. But, Aquavit is perfect for drinking with Gravlax.

If you are a non-drinker, don't worry. The alcohol won't make much of a difference, anyway.

Another thing. You do not need both sides of the salmon to make this Gravlax. After you rub on the salt, sugar and white pepper and lay lot's of fresh chopped dill on top of one piece of salmon, just wrap tightly with the plastic wrap and refrigerate. Then follow the above instructions 
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2012/02/28 10:37:28
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Home made gravlax 2012/01/28 11:50:57 (permalink)
    brisketboy

I appear to be just full of questions today. One of the recipes on gravlax recommends freezing the fish for seven days to insure any microorganisms (roundworms) are killed. The remainder do not mention this practise. Is this in fact a good idea?

brisketboy: I've never heard of having to freeze the salmon prior to the Gravlax prep. When salmon sushi is served in at a sushi bar, it's always fresh and not previously frozen as are other types of fish (tuna). Have you ever eaten at or, shopped for fish at Quality Seafood in Austin?
    Ask them what they think. Btw, their fried whole belly clams served in the restaurant are killer!
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2012/01/28 11:53:08
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:Home made gravlax 2012/01/28 18:02:09 (permalink)
    the only time you might need to do your own freeze-treatment is if you are right at the dock when the ship comes in and they've got locally-caught fish on board.

fish bought at any market HAS been frozen - especially stuff that comes from the other side of the country (or world).  they haul them in and then immediately freeze 'em and they stay frozen during shipment.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Home made gravlax 2012/01/28 20:22:49 (permalink)
    Sorry, I disagree. I have a friend who is a fishmonger in Dallas. He say's, most of his fish is flown in fresh. Not, previously frozen.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1187
    Re:Home made gravlax 2012/01/31 11:58:31 (permalink)
    I have wanted to do this for year. The best recipe -- best meaning easiest, most straightforward, and most authentic -- is in "Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home," based on the TV series of the same name. There is the traditional recipe -- salt, sugar, dill, and cognac, not Vodka or Aquavit -- as well as several quick-cure variations.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Home made gravlax 2012/01/31 12:23:48 (permalink)
    Yes, there's tons of good Gravlax recipes out there. I'd like to try doing one sometime with fennel fronds instead of dill.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Home made gravlax 2012/01/31 15:19:29 (permalink)
    I've always heard that any Salmon is lightly cured before using as Sushi....the salt/cure takes care of any of the nasties......

The cure used to make homemade Gravlax is more then enough to kill off any bad bugs. So no need to freeze..... 
    brisketboy
    Re:Home made gravlax 2012/02/28 09:40:37 (permalink)
    It has been a while but I wanted to come here and thank you all for your kind advice and encouragement. I followed the advice presented here closely and I am pleased to say it was a great success. In fact so much so that one of my co-workers is a Yenta type from New Yawk and she liked it very much so again, much thanks.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Home made gravlax 2012/02/28 10:39:32 (permalink)
    I know for a fact, yentas love gravlax.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1