Home projects

Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8085
2011/10/28 16:20:33 (permalink)

Home projects

What would you do around your home if you could?  Not talking about things like new carpet or painting.

I'd love those pull-out shelves for my pantry and for under my stove where I keep the pots and pans.  Bending over hurts!

I'd also like double paned windows. 

I'm a dreamer.

3 Replies Related Threads

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    Re:Home projects 2011/10/28 19:01:03 (permalink)
    I have triple pane windows.

I do have a couple of masonry projects I would like to do to essentially complete my house. One is doable if I can only find the time from being on the road. That would be an outdoor wood-fired brick oven for pizza and bread. Inside the house I never built a fireplace. I have the spot in the center of the house and it would be three stories tall. Don't know if I will ever get around to that.

Four years ago we gutted our kitchen and installed a totally new one. Three years ago my wife and I laid 750 sf of 12" square porcelain tiles over our entire main floor. I built our house 28 years ago. It is a mortise and tenon wood pegged joined heavy timber structure. I hand cut every timber joint.

I have a continuing battle of clearing our woods of non-native invasive weeds like garlic mustard plants, thistle and buckthorn.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    Re:Home projects 2011/10/28 23:50:56 (permalink)
    Last Summer , after our Hog Hunting Expedition,  we bought the materials to build a smokehouse. It will be 4'x4'x'6' when finished and have the appearance of an old wooden outhouse. The firebox will be a few feet away with insulated stovepiping bringing the heat and smoke into the vertical smoking chamber. We were lucky enough to have a relative donate Red Oak Planking for the siding, fresh cut at his sawmill on the farm. It has aged for 3 months, so far, and will make a fine exterior finish.  We have all the internal shelving (Stainless Steel) and brick lining for the first two feet from the entrance point.

Now we have to find the weekend time to do the actual construction. This will require some coordination of work time with my neighbor and an in-law who have the assembly skills that I lack.  Hopefully we can get it together in time to smoke several Thanksgiving Turkeys for the families involved.
    Updates and photos when the project is done.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8085
    Re:Home projects 2011/10/29 01:51:05 (permalink)
    Now that's cool!

Progress photos are a must!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1