Homemade BBQ smoker Pit

Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2372
2012/01/23 15:34:56 (permalink)

Homemade BBQ smoker Pit

We are in the beginning process of building a brick BBQ smokerHas anyone used one of these and how good did it work. We raise pigs and I though making this pit large enough to handle a 1/2 pig may work out for us real well. this one looks a bit small for my needs...............Thanks ....Bill
  But this one looks about right..........

post edited by PNWCHEF - 2012/01/23 15:41:15

4 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15233
    Re:Homemade BBQ smoker Pit 2012/01/23 17:11:41 (permalink)
    PNW
    Nice looking cooker. The appearance reminds me more of the West Coast 'Grill-Cooker' more than the traditional Whole Hog Smokers we find "Back East". (Think- Santa Maria Tri-Tip!!)Most of the latter can be fully enclosed to trap the smoke in the cooking area, and bring the heat and smoke to it "indirectly".  The cheapest version of the type I speak of is the offset drum arrangement made by many companies, but Brinkman is probably the 'example' to look at.
    The Brick version you show needs at least another foot of clearance under the 'grill'...that could be adjustable, but most large pits I have seen or used have at least 2 feet between coals and cooking platform, most have much more.
    Another possibility you may want to consider is the wooden BOX COOKER, sometimes called the Cuban or Chinese BBQ Box. While it will only do small to medium hogs..under 100 lb dressed, It works sort of like a dutch oven and does a fine job in a short cooking time. Google the topic to see examples of all of the above.
      We are slowly working on a real 'old-fashioned' Smokehouse. It will look like an Outhouse, wood frame 6 ft tall by 4 ft square sitting on a slab and block foundation.  Heat source will be an external firebox with heat and smoke transfer via tile pipe. We hope to 'Get Her Done' before Derby time this spring.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Homemade BBQ smoker Pit 2012/01/23 17:35:33 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF, is that going to have a front cover?
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:Homemade BBQ smoker Pit 2012/01/23 20:06:25 (permalink)
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2372
    Re:Homemade BBQ smoker Pit 2012/01/23 20:16:19 (permalink)
    mayor al...........Thanks Al, can't wait to see the pictures of your smoke house..........

Chewy, It's going to be able to be inclosed for smoking, I'm thinking about a removable plate for the top so I can also do some open pit roasting.

Chefbuba, thanks for the site, I have see these before, interesting concept...........
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1