Homemade Ice Cream Recipes

Author
eaglerich
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
2005/06/20 05:07:14 (permalink)

Homemade Ice Cream Recipes

Hey all you folks that make your own ice cream-what's your favorite flavor? Please post the recipe.

9 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Homemade Ice Cream Recipes 2005/06/20 09:25:42 (permalink)
    I've yet to try my hand at ice cream. They did do a special on Food 911 last week and made it look easy. Here's a link to that episode, along with the recipes: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_fo/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9964_23827,00.html
    bethgrd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 320
    RE: Homemade Ice Cream Recipes 2005/06/20 11:55:29 (permalink)
    I was suprised to see the frozen custard photo as hard ice cream; I have always seen frozen custard as soft serve in the northeast. beth
    Tiramisu
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Homemade Ice Cream Recipes 2005/06/20 13:01:24 (permalink)
    I take some evaporated milk, some heavy whipping cream, some vanilla, and some raw sugar, and plain yogurt.(make sure it has no glatin).optional...I beat it all together, and pour it into a plain metal tray....stick it into the freezer, and stir it every 45 minutes, until I can't resist any longer, and then, I eat it....and I add stuff, if I so desire. I got the general recipe from the Hare Krishnas in a book they put out called "Higher Taste" It is good ice cream, because it has no evil fillers made from artificial things.
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Homemade Ice Cream Recipes 2005/06/20 13:08:46 (permalink)
    This is my favorite homemade ice cream recipe. It is a little time consuming but worth every minute.

Pistachio Ice Crea

1 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 cup milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
    1/2 tsp almond extract
    4 lrg egg yolks
    1 cup whipping cream
    3/4 cup unsalted shelled pistachios toasted, and

Instructions:
    Finely grind 1 cup pistachios and 1/4 cup sugar in processor. Bring milk and ground pistachio mixture to boil in heavy large saucepan. Remove from heat. Mix in almond extract.

Whisk egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Return custard to saucepan. Cook over low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes (do not boil). Strain into large bowl. Chill until cold, about 2 hours.

Stir 1 cup whipping cream and chopped pistachios into custard. Process mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions. Transfer to container and freeze. (Ice cream can be prepared 3 days ahead.)

This recipe yields about 3 1/2 cups.

Tiramisu
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Homemade Ice Cream Recipes 2005/06/20 13:11:48 (permalink)
    http://www.webcom.com/ara/col/books/VEG/ht/vanillaice.html

This says it better than I can.
    dbouma
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Homemade Ice Cream Recipes 2006/06/05 01:42:03 (permalink)
    Have you tried soft serve depot, their soft serve mix rocks, and the have shake making kits along with home make ice cream maker kits. Many flovors to choose freom and they are paypal ready.

www.softservedepot.com
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Homemade Ice Cream Recipes 2006/06/05 13:08:10 (permalink)
    Chezkatie: I love pistachio ice cream! Thanks for the recipe.

I have a question: If I wanted to add some black cherries to the recipe, would you advise me to compensate among the ingredients in any way? Second, would adding some green color to custard mix be an issue in any way?

Thanks again! - Rusty
    bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Homemade Ice Cream Recipes 2006/06/06 04:31:56 (permalink)
    I like to start with a basic vanilla custard and add whatever sounds good, be daring- think outside the box of the usual additions- let your imagination run wild! Recently I added about 2 teaspoons of freshly ground Indian Telicherry "Extra Bold" peppercorns towards the end of the freezing cycle! No- I'm not joking- it was really good, however- it is not something I'd want every time I ate ice cream. I've heard- I think on Food Network- of adding (to vanilla custard) apples that had been cooked with a little sugar and spices, along with a minced jalapeno or 2! Supposedly it was good- I may try it!
    BunnySlippers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Homemade Ice Cream Recipes 2006/06/06 07:49:04 (permalink)
    My family and friends LOVE homemade ice cream. I received a Cuisinart countertop ice cream maker (no ice or frozen containers!!)for my birthday last summer and have made batch after batch which is promptly eaten up.

Although cooked ice cream bases are quite tasty, we don't seem to have the patience to wait for them to chill, so generally make the uncooked "Philadelphia" type. Here are three great basic recipes. Each makes about 1.5 qt, but can be expanded to fit a larger machine.

Simple Vanilla Ice Cream

Ingredients
    1-1/2 cups whole milk
    1-1/8 cups granulated sugar
    3 cups heavy cream
    1-1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract

Instructions
    1. In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the milk and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes.
    2. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Turn the machine on; pour the mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

Chocolate Ice Cream
    (Contains uncooked eggs, use pasteurized egg product if this is a concern)

2 eggs
    1 ¼ c, sugar
    ½ c. cocoa
    2 t. vanilla
    1 1/2 c half and half
    1 1/2 c cream

Beat eggs until pale and thick. Add sugar, little at a time. Beat well each time. Add cocoa, vanilla and creams.

Freeze

Strawberry Ice Cream
    1 pt. fresh strawberries, pureed
    1 C. sugar
    1 large egg
    1 C. half and half
    1 t. vanilla extract
    3 C. heavy cream

Puree the strawberries in a blender. Pour them into a mixing bowl. Add sugar, egg and half and half to the blend and blend until the sugar is dissolved. Add to the strawberries.

Add the vanilla and heavy cream. Whisk it in and blend well. Freeze.

Enjoy!
    Bunny
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1