Homemade Pizza Sauce

Author
fantabular
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/03/22 14:56:18 (permalink)

Homemade Pizza Sauce

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I've been through the six pages that are on the subject of Pizza and I haven't seen it so far...

I was wondering if all you folks out there who make your own pizza could share your recipe for homemade pizza sauce.

I'm experimenting with my own recipe, but it's coming out much too spicy for my taste.

Any ideas? Or if it's already been posted, could you please point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!

15 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18483
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/03/22 15:20:30 (permalink)
    Just make a simple tomato sauce. A couple of 28-ounce cans of whole plum tomatoes, a few cloves of garlic, some olive oil, dried oregano, dried basil, some pepper and salt to taste, and some dried chili flakes for any heat. Put the tomatoes through a food mill, Saute the chopped garlic in the oil, dump the milled tomatos into the pan, add the oregano, basil, salt, pepper and chili flakes if using, and simmer for about 40 minutes. Use what you need and freeze the rest in Ziplok bags.
    Theedge
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/03/22 16:07:26 (permalink)
    Don't forget a pinch of sugar!

After packing on 25 lbds over the winter I'm back to having pizza no more than once per week...so very sad.
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/03/22 16:24:33 (permalink)
    Does anyone have a good thin crackery type pizza crust recipe. (Like Monical's in central Illinois)?
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/03/23 16:52:11 (permalink)
    Here's a simple one I make using tomato sauce...

28oz can Tomato Sauce (Dei Fratelli)
    3t Parmesiean Cheese (Grated)
    1/2 t Pepper
    2 T Oregeno
    2 1/2T Sugar (Adjust amount of sugar to the acidity of the tomatoes)
    1 T Fresh Pressed Garlic

Mix, cover and let sit in the fridge for an hour or 2 to meld the flavors.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/03/23 17:31:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Just make a simple tomato sauce. A couple of 28-ounce cans of whole plum tomatoes, a few cloves of garlic, some olive oil, dried oregano, dried basil, some pepper and salt to taste, and some dried chili flakes for any heat. Put the tomatoes through a food mill, Saute the chopped garlic in the oil, dump the milled tomatos into the pan, add the oregano, basil, salt, pepper and chili flakes if using, and simmer for about 40 minutes. Use what you need and freeze the rest in Ziplok bags.

Silly me, BUT I thought you were NOT supposed to cook pizza sauce; as like some pasta sauces.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/03/23 21:36:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Silly me, BUT I thought you were NOT supposed to cook pizza sauce; as like some pasta sauces.

Correct
    readjl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/04/29 01:43:05 (permalink)
    Agreed. Pizza sauce is better kept simple. Crushed tomatoes, salt, and olive oil for viscosity. That's it.

If you use good canned Italian crushed tomatoes (San Marzano), you probably won't need sugar.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/04/29 11:37:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

The last time I looked there was no such law.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/04/29 12:31:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by readjl

Agreed. Pizza sauce is better kept simple. Crushed tomatoes, salt, and olive oil for viscosity. That's it.

If you use good canned Italian crushed tomatoes (San Marzano), you probably won't need sugar.

Absolutely true. You won't need sugar with San Marzano tomatoes, crushed or whole.
    keef richards
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/04/29 21:59:18 (permalink)
    check out pizzamaking.com everything you need to know about making pizza is there. if not keep the sauce simple. your not making gravy for pasta. use good tomatoes, because your not cooking it for a long time. saute garlic if using dry oregano or basil add when the garlic is cooked. it seems to bring out the flavors. add tomatoes salt and pepper. i add a pinch or 2 of sugar it seems to bring out the flavor of the tomatoes. it may cut the acid there is some scientific effect it has but i'm not sure if that is it. simmer for 20 mins this is juct to get the water out, then let it sit overnight if possible
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/04/29 22:10:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by keef richards

check out pizzamaking.com everything you need to know about making pizza is there. if not keep the sauce simple. your not making gravy for pasta. use good tomatoes, because your not cooking it for a long time. saute garlic if using dry oregano or basil add when the garlic is cooked. it seems to bring out the flavors. add tomatoes salt and pepper. i add a pinch or 2 of sugar it seems to bring out the flavor of the tomatoes. it may cut the acid there is some scientific effect it has but i'm not sure if that is it. simmer for 20 mins this is juct to get the water out, then let it sit overnight if possible

You dont want to "sautee" the garlic.. Sweat it (low heat) to bring out the flavor... Sauteing garlic makes it bitter tasting. Same with the fresh herbs. Sugar in the recipe is used to reduce the acidity of the tomatoes.. Be carefull though since you can "sweeten" the sauce doing so...

AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/05/30 07:00:49 (permalink)
    When in a pinch, I make it with one cup of tomato sauce, two tablespoons of tomato paste, dried basil and oregano, minced onions and fresh pressed garlic, and a teaspoon each of salt and pepper and a dash of splenda and sprinkling of parmesean cheese. I sautee the onions in the olive oil and then throw the rest of the ingredients in and simmer it for 10 minutes. But, I always let it cool before putting it on the Boboli crust I use for baking as this keeps the pizza from becoming soggy.

Andrea
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/05/31 08:53:27 (permalink)
    You wont find no Italians putting sugar in their sauces,It must be an American thing.
    jaidesmom
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/07/10 22:02:27 (permalink)
    If you cook the sauce that could be why it's too spicy. Stanislaus "full red" is really a great starter. (just add spices and let sit in fridge for a few hours- no sugar needed).
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Homemade Pizza Sauce 2005/07/11 12:53:10 (permalink)
    of course you cook the tomatoes first. if you're using canned sauce or paste, it's already been cooked. you try cooking a pizza with raw tomatoes; it'll be a soggy mess. if you like a few slices of ripe tomatoes on top of the cheese, that's one thing, but raw canned tomatoes on the dough? no way.

the sugar in the tomato sauce is, as has been noted, unnecessary if you use good tomatoes.

dried oregano is fine. dried basil is useless. fresh basil goes in for the last few moments of cooking.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1