Homemade Pizza

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/12/08 06:19:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Boxcar Bill

Canned sauce!!?? You got to make your own sauce for a good pizza. Lets see some recipes.

Okay, let's start with yours?
Boxcar Bill
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/12/08 12:11:29 (permalink)
The best tomatoes are extra ripes from the garden, then home canned, after that the best I've found in a metal can are the plum tomatoes imported from Italy WITHOUT salt. I prefer to avoid calcium chloride added but it really isn't that noticable.
The seeds should be removed but I seldom bother to do it.

In a saucepan add the tomatoes with all the skins and cores (near the stem) removed. Its best not to add much or any extra juice which is usually in the can to keep air out. Over low heat mash the tomatoes with a potato masher to the desired consistancy ( I like them not completely mashed to pulp). Add basil (dried or fresh chopped), minced fresh garlic (not to much), salt. Simmer gently for about 5 to 10 mins only, turn off the heat, then add a good amount of EV olive oil, & sprinkle with dried Italian oregano. (don't use the Mexican oregano it will ruin it).

The pizza ALWAYS gets the cheese put on first, (mozzarella for me). Stir the sauce mixture (the oil won't blend well) before each application, and apply very conservatively. You should have only about 60% of the pizza actually covered thinly with the tomato sauce. If you put too much sauce on, it will make the pie soggy and it won't crisp up properly.
After the pie is ready to go in the oven I like to sprinkle on just a bit more fresh minced garlic.

A pizza stone or quarry tiles just above the bottom element are a must. Heat the oven to the max (at least 500). I like my pizza just slightly burnt on the edges and with a definate crunch to it.

Only rarely do I add any pepperoni or other toppings for the tomato sauce only is hard to beat.
Boxcar Bill
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/12/08 12:21:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Boxcar Bill

(snipped)

...The pizza ALWAYS gets the cheese put on first, (mozzarella for me).....
(snipped)
Boxcar Bill

Why not sauce first? pb
Boxcar Bill
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/12/08 13:19:26 (permalink)
quote:
Why not sauce first? pb

Sauce first tends to keep the dough moist & from cooking quickly and properly. I like a thin crust pizza cooked on a super hot stone in a 500 degree oven (temp at the top of the oven). Its only gonna be in there about 8 to 10 mins. I also hate when all the cheese slides off the top of the slice with one bite.
Also...don't use much cheese. To me a good pizza is about the dough/crust. The toppings are the icing on the cake(crust), they should never overpower it. You should never have difficulty tasting the crust.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1