Homemade Pizza

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2212
2005/09/27 16:50:50 (permalink)

Homemade Pizza

I've been wondering how many of you make you own pizza from scratch. It's a once a week thing (at least) at our house and, in the past year or so, the family agrees that I've gotten pretty darned good at making it. Easy dough recipe done in a bread machine, simple sauce recipe from "The Soprano's Cookbook", Polly-O mozz, and baked on a stone in a 500° oven for about 15 minutes. A 15" pie costs around $3 and it's WAY better than anything the chains put out. Does anyone else make their own on a regular basis? If you don't, is it because you consider it too much trouble or is it because you have excellent pizza conveniently available? pb

33 Replies Related Threads

Sandy Eggo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/27 17:26:23 (permalink)
    With that much love going into it, it must be good. You’re family is lucky of your talent and effort.

We make pizza about once a week using Boboli. I am a good cook, but not good with dough and baking and don’t have a bread maker. Are those messy and a hassle to clean up? Anyway, we don’t like the chains like Pizxa Hut or Dominoes, and the good local place is about $15 or more for a pie. San Diego is not a pizza haven..

I get the thin crust Boboli and use their sauce (comes with it sometimes) or Prego and then make different types of pizza depending on what’s in the fridge. Sometimes it’s just cheeses, other times it’s ham, onions and peppers, greek cheeses.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/27 17:28:07 (permalink)
    I do make pizza at home, just because I like to do it. It turns out pretty good, but it's hard to justify when I have the below just 8 blocks from my house. I took this the other night as the camera was sitting on the table, and it's perfectly normal to decide to take a photo of your pizza,,,just keep telling myself that..
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/27 18:34:03 (permalink)
    Theedge- It is dinner time in West TN and we don't have a pizza within a hundred miles that looks like that. That picture is torture!
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/27 18:48:59 (permalink)
    Where exactly is that pizza from, Mister Edge sir?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18258
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/27 19:15:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sandy Eggo

With that much love going into it, it must be good. You’re family is lucky of your talent and effort.

We make pizza about once a week using Boboli. I am a good cook, but not good with dough and baking and don’t have a bread maker. Are those messy and a hassle to clean up? Anyway, we don’t like the chains like Pizxa Hut or Dominoes, and the good local place is about $15 or more for a pie. San Diego is not a pizza haven..

I get the thin crust Boboli and use their sauce (comes with it sometimes) or Prego and then make different types of pizza depending on what’s in the fridge. Sometimes it’s just cheeses, other times it’s ham, onions and peppers, greek cheeses.

While I like Boboli, it's not an apizza. However, when I make a pie using Boboli -- I'm a thin-cruster, too -- I dice a couple of cloves of garlic and let it soak in some good olive oil for an hour or so. Then I'll dump the oil-garlic onto the crust and spread it around. I'll top that with slices of roma tomato or diced roma tomato. Next, I dust the tomato with plenty of freshly grated Parmagiano Reggiano, followed by about seven slices of fresh mozzarella. Then, I sprinkle on some fresh, chopped basil, and finally add some green onion -- both white and green parts. Bake it at 450-degrees for exactly 7 1/2 minutes, then slice into wedges.
    ZekeTheCat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/27 21:01:34 (permalink)
    Here's a real good web site for home made pizza - there's tons of info on pizza making:
    http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/27 22:53:16 (permalink)
    That pizza is from George's Pizza in Austin, Minnesota, where I live. Austin is on I-90 right along the Iowa/Minnesota border. The original owner (George) was from Greece, as well as Dino who worked there for many years. It is on it's second owner, who has never changed a thing. It doesn't matter where people move to, when they come back to visit they always end up at George's.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/28 13:01:36 (permalink)
    It's not hard at all to make your own dough. there are MANY easy dough recipes, you really should consider skipping boboli or other premade crusts.

I make homemade pizza a lot...not as much as I used to, but I still make it. It's easy.

Also, use fresh mozzarella, and mix in some hard cheeses like parmiggiano, romano (I buy in chunks and grate the cheese myself)

At the very least, many grocery stores sell fresh dough. These are cheap and easy to use. I know Trader Joe's sells fresh dough, as does Wegman's.

If you have an italian market in your neighborhood that makes it's own pizza on site, you can usually buy their fresh dough. A 16" pizza dough from one of these places can be use to make 2 midsized (12") pizzas at home.

laststandchili
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/28 13:20:44 (permalink)
    I do frequent pizza nights, but I do it French style. My SO prefers white pizza, while I'm more traditional, so this is a great quick and easy way to satisfy us both. I keep small baggies of homemade tom sauce in the freezer for me and for her I mix some EVOO and fresh chopped herbs, good parm. and garlic into some good ricotta cheese.
    From there I split a loaf of french or italian bread (whatever looks good, and wide enough at the local grocery bakery), brush on more EVOO, and spread mine with tom sauce and hers with the ricotta mixture.
    From there the skys the limit in terms of toppings. Usually consist of whatever leftovers are lying around (this is usually a Friday night, movie at home meal). We generally have scraps of mushrooms, sausage, salami, all kinds of peppers, olives, and marinated artichoke around, but it always varys somewhat based on availability and whim.
    Toss on a cookie sheet and into a preheated 450 oven for about 12 minutes. Quick, easy and way better than Stouffers. She always complains that I'm making too much, but we've never had leftovers.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/28 13:30:40 (permalink)
    As a matter of fact, Saturday night I made a deep-dish pizza for frau und kinder. They're not from the metro NY area, so they think it's legit
    For real pizza, I've made my own dough, but you can get it over the counter at the local C store and the supermarkets. I do still make my own sauce.
    A little mozzrella, a little grilled sausage, a few fresh mushrooms, and you're in business.
    I DO have an oven rack just for pizza, lined with quarry tiles execpt for 3/4" around the back and side edges.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/28 15:39:18 (permalink)
    Pizza stones work too. I usually preheat my stone to ensure a crisp bottom.
    But it's not necessary.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/29 08:59:12 (permalink)
    I do a lot of individual type pizza's using everything from english muffins to tortias and half a pita, jarred sauce and whatever cheese strikes my fancy or is available and topped with everything from crumbled brkfst sausage to minched shrimp and pulled bbq pork. Perfect for when your hungry but don't feel like really cooking
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/29 12:22:22 (permalink)
    It's not a pizza if it's on an english muffin, tortilla or pita.

I'm not saying it's not good food, because certain toppings and sauces on english muffins and the like is good, but it's not "pizza."
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/30 11:23:27 (permalink)
    Probably every other Friday night we have homemade pizza. Start the dough at five, use wifie's red sauce from trom the freezer, a little pepperoni from this year's pig and we're set.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2212
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/09/30 16:01:35 (permalink)
    While there is definitely love in my cooking, my main motivation is making our favorite dishes as good (or better) as what's available locally at a much more reasonable price (e.g. $15 for pizza). My other "specialties" are bbq (got a gas smoker last year), grilling, and most of the common Italian dishes.

Using the bread machine isn't at all messy. We had one sitting on the shelf collecting dust until I realized (duh!) it could be used to just make a dough and, in my opinion, that's the most labor-intensive part of the kind of baking I want to do. I've seen bread machines in thrift shops for $20 or less that would suffice for dough making. Ours is 10 years old. Cleanup is a snap; after the cycle is complete and I dump the dough out, I leave the container sit overnight until the bits of remaining dough have dried and the whole thing rinses out easy as pie.

I used to do the Boboli thing also, as well as English muffins, French bread, and store bought dough. The first three were tasty, but not pizza and the store dough was fine, but cost $1.69 for a 1 pound piece. The machine makes 3 pounds for a LOT less than that.

If you want an easy great tasting sauce, combine 1/4 cup good olive oil, 2 minced cloves garlic, 1 28oz. can of whole Italian tomatoes (I try to use San Marzano) that can be pureed or crushed by hand, and 2 or 3 torn-up leaves of fresh basil. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes until it the right thickness for you.

The dough I use is actually one for pita bread that I tried for pizza. It uses a little more yeast, a Tbsp. of shortening, and a bit of sugar. We liked it so much that it has become "the" pizza dough. Also, the dough "behaves" better if allowed to spend a few hours (overnight is best) in the fridge before using. It should be taken out a couple hours before you want to shape it.

I tried using fresh mozz a couple of times, but it's too wet, more expensive, and simply not as good as Polly-O. In fact, that pizzamaking.com site seems to support my findings although some of them use the part-skim variety.
    As far as cooking on the pizza stone, I find it's VERY important too preheat the oven (and stone) and, if you can, wait for another 15 minutes after it's preheated before putting in the pizza. This is what draws the moisture out and gives crispness to the outside of the crust.

Toppings are good; we like mushrooms, onion, green pepper, black olives, sausage, etc., but NOT ALL ON THE SAME PIE. The less toppings the crisper the pie. Also, I find that adding Parmigiano right after taking the pie out of the oven works best since I had problems with it burning if I added it before.

So, that's it. Sounds more difficult than it is. pb
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6321
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/10/24 22:10:33 (permalink)
    Pizza is the only thing I do well at home in cooking other than stews, beer cheese soup, meatloaf and deep fried pork tenderloin sandwiches. I learned in high school working for a small independent pizza shop that made everything from scratch. In high school I always tried to make the hottest pizza I could to see which one of my buddies would wimp out first eating them.

As I got older I got more serious. I generally make all my pizzas from scratch. I mix the dough by hand--no machine--it is not all that hard. I always experiment. If I find a new pizza in a restaurant I tend to try to duplicate it. You name it I've tried it from white pizzas to BBQ pizzas. My personal favorite is a simple marinara sauce, mozerella pizza with onion, mushroom and black olives.

When my oldest daughter was in high school she was a member of the school dance line. Before every contest one of the parents would host the girls for a dinner. When our turn came around I was recruited to make pizzas. In one afternoon I made 20 pizzas. With those girls the simple ones were the ones they liked. Making a simple cheese pizza was what they wanted. Then they didn't eat all that much. I froze the leftovers.

Freezing leftover pizzas was another trick I learned way before there was such a thing circa 1961. Back in high school I would work in a pizza trailer at Indianapolis Raceway Park. On a hot day we did not sell all that many during a race but when the races ended people would stream out wanting instant gratification. So we had to anticipate sales. Some times we would over guess and sometimes we would sell out. On the days we over guessed the boss let me take home the leftovers. That is when I learned frozen pizzas were not all that bad. I don't do that anymore. I have a ravenous appetite for pizza and usually save only enough for a cold breakfast snack the next morning.
    mrherb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/10/25 09:51:34 (permalink)
    Hello All,

I noticed a post while browsing the web concerning pizza; particularly, the herb packet that was included in the Kraft Pizza Mix. Does anyone have any idea what herbs were in this mix or know how to find out? I'm obsessed with thinking that is the herb combo I need to make the perfect pizza.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/10/25 10:29:38 (permalink)
    Fresh ingredients is key.
    Including fresh mozzarella. When using fresh ingredients, it's important to add the toppings at the correct time during the cooking process. Fresh mozzarella can make it wet if you use it too early. Put your cheeses, both soft and hard near the end of cooking. This will allow the cheese to melt, but not release moisture. The taste is fresher. Realize, that this puts the cheese on top of the other ingredients such as pepperoni and not the pepperoni on top.

Riccotta is another cheese that can be used on pizza that gives great flavor. but, you have to be careful with ricotta as it can be very wet and sloppy. But, when done coreectly, it's a great flavor on pizza. My wife loves my ricotta and and spinach pizza.

I'm making another pie this Friday. Can't wait.

dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/10/25 11:29:15 (permalink)
    Great topic. I love making pizza at home, with lots of good, yuppie toppings like artichoke hearts, pesto, kalamata olives. Arugula is good but you just put it on right when it comes out of the oven; otherwise it gets scorched. I have tended to use store-bought dough, but I just bought a kitchenaid mixer so I should get back into making it from scratch. Oh, my favorite cheese: regular mozzarella shredded with goat gouda!

I am not too good at shaping the pies, though, and particularly if the dough is very springy (as Trader Joe's is) , my pizzas come out shaped, well, like feet. Which was fun when I was a tarheel living in NC, but now it just seems unprofessional. Tastes good, though! Anyone have any advice on shaping the pies? Basically I make the pizza on the back of a cookie sheet with cornmeal under it, and slide it onto the pizza stone.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/10/25 13:23:06 (permalink)
    DCtourist,
    when starting to shape the dough, don't use a rolling pin.
    Start with the ball of dough an, and press down with hand, flattening it into a disc shape.
    Flour the disc on all sides. Then using your knuckles or finger tips, start kneeding the dough out in each direction by pressing down and slightly outward.
    you may need to turn the dough as you kneed it into the circular shape.

Make sure your dough (I've used trader joe's too) is room temp. Do not try shaping the dough when its still cool. And use flour during this process. You can use your corn meal if you like once your down.

You can also pick it up and stretch the edges with your fingers or knuckles and rotating the dough, using the wieght of the dough to help you.

see this demo: http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/cvt033.asp
    food10
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/11/02 14:38:37 (permalink)
    How can i tell if the pizza is homemade or commercial type?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18258
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/11/02 16:19:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by food10

Well, most people check to see if they made it themselves at home. If they did, then odds are it's homemade. If, on the other hand, it was purchased and not made at home, it is more than likely not homemade. And, if it is not homemade the possibility is very high that it's a "commercial type."
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7673
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/11/02 17:41:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
    Originally posted by food10

Well, most people check to see if they made it themselves at home. If they did, then odds are it's homemade. If, on the other hand, it was purchased and not made at home, it is more than likely not homemade. And, if it is not homemade the possibility is very high that it's a "commercial type."

jbryan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/11/16 00:40:54 (permalink)
    I make pizza a couple times a month, but I buy crust dough from a local deli, kinka cheating but it is fresh, cheap and way better than a Boboli!
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/11/16 08:05:06 (permalink)
    I have an awsome recipe for Chicgao deep dish, but its an all day affair. I do it once in awhile on a Sunday.

Our homemade pizza standby is a garlic olive pie. I buy dough from my local Tops grocery store. It comes in a frozen ball, and defrosts in the fridge.

I hand stretch it to fit in my pan, which has been dusted with corn meal. Then brush it with a mix of about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with two cloves of crushed garlic, and chopped fresh basil, (This mix should be made before wrestling with the dough, so it marinates for a while). I then sprinkle a small can of chopped black olives, (I would use kalamata, but I have a teenager...)and top with a small brick of grated mozz, some grated parm, and romano, and dried oregano.

Put it in the bottom of a 350 oven and cook until the cheese browns. It takes about a half hour start to finish.

I work down the street from Columbus Bakery in Syracuse, so sometimes I pick up their fresh dough, but I don't notice a heck of a lot of difference from the Tops.
    johns72604
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/11/16 09:28:22 (permalink)
    I made some french bread pizza that was really good last night. I got some good french bread from a local bakery, some fresh mozz, and canned sauce. Then i cooked up a hot italian suasage link, and sliced it thinly and threw it on top. It came out really good.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/11/16 10:33:28 (permalink)
    Cosmos, I'm coming to Syracuse for Thanksgiving. Three things I'm definately doing: 1- Buying and sharing in a Columbus Bakery italian loaf; 2- Buying and sharing in a Columbus Bakery flat loaf; and 3 - Going to a Crunch Game (hey - it's cheap, especially compared to the Capitols.)

I did Dino BBQ, Heid's and other stuff on the last visit. Won't be time on this trip for too many restaurants, if any. And now that Wegman's is down here, I don't have to make my traditional Wegman's run for all my favorites.

God, I hope it won't be too cold for this trip! I hear snow is in the forecast.

AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/11/19 09:54:20 (permalink)
    We usually do the Boboli thing for "homemade" because it's so easy to do after a hectic day. We usually make it with rehydrated dried garlic, green peppers, red onions, and mushrooms and mozzarella from the Kroger's salad bar and whatever else we have around that looks good. I like the veggies to be crunchy and hate a soggy pizza. For the sauce, we usually buy the cheapest we can find and spice it up and simmer it up and let it cool before baking.
    I usually baste the boboli lightly with olive oil, dress the Boboli up, preheat the oven, and put it directly on the oven rack up as high as it will go, and there you have a nice and economical meal and with it just being the Hubs and me we get another meal out of it the next day.

Andrea
    Boxcar Bill
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Homemade Pizza 2005/12/07 21:35:35 (permalink)
    Canned sauce!!?? You got to make your own sauce for a good pizza. Lets see some recipes.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1