Homemade deep fried taco shells?

Author
lindsey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
2007/02/21 23:06:31 (permalink)

Homemade deep fried taco shells?

25 years ago at a little bar me and my dad used to get these tacos. They were the best! The shells were homemade(NOT a tortila shell, fried) and big, puffy and thick. They were Exactly like the Chulupa shells at Taco Bell. Does anyone have a recipe for these? I have searched online with no luck! Lindsey in da U.P.

5 Replies Related Threads

desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Homemade deep fried taco shells? 2007/02/22 09:57:26 (permalink)

So they were flour or corn ? There are still a few places out there that make Flour taco shells, which I like. I used to make my own taco shells 15-20 years ago, out of necessity (lived in Germany) and they came out great. I would normally make them from Masa Harina and they would turn out thicker than store bought. It is an easy recipe...

1 cup Masa Harina
    1/2 cup + 1 TBS water

Mix the masa harina and water to a soft dough that is not crumbly or sticky (it may be necessary to add 1-2 teaspoons more water). Divide the dough into eight equal pieces and shape each into a ball with wet hands. Cover the balls with a wet dish towel to prevent them from drying out while pressing.

Place a sheet of plastic wrap on the bottom of a tortilla press (I did it on the countertop and used the bottom of a heavy skillet). Put a ball of dough on the wrap and cover with another piece of the wrap. Press down flattening the ball out to desired thickness.

Peel the tortilla from the plastic wrap and cook on a hot ungreased griddle or cast iron skillet until lightly spotted with brown on each side. Knock down bubbles as they occur.

After they are done, you can store them like this or make taco shells. I would put plenty of oil in a pan and after the oil is hot, put the tortillas one at a time in the oil just until they start to get stiff, fold them over and cook just a bit longer, then pull it out onto a plate and transfer to the oven, where I would hang them over the oven grate to keep the folded shape. Be sure to put a pan or aluminum foil below to catch the grease.

Or you could go to a Mexican bakery.
    lindsey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Homemade deep fried taco shells? 2007/02/22 10:01:37 (permalink)
    They were flour, not corn. Thanks for the recipe! I may try them this weekend!! Nothing close to a Mexican bakery around here, I live in the boonies...the upper penninsula of Michigan!! LOL
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Homemade deep fried taco shells? 2007/02/22 10:17:48 (permalink)
    You'll need the small flour tortillas, a taco basket and deep fryer. Flour ones are made the same as the normal taco shells.

Taco Basket for Deep Fryer:

For home use, I'd go with a Carolina fryer (outdoors and away from the house):

dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Homemade deep fried taco shells? 2007/02/22 19:23:41 (permalink)
    I lived and worked with a large group of Mexicans for awhile doing underground fiberoptic cable. I got spoiled big time because a couple of those guys could REALLY cook! A staple was fresh "taco" shells made pretty much like Desert said, usually these where cooked on a flat griddle pan and used more like bread or as a utensil instad of how we usually consider eating them ie "stuffed taco" sometimes the same mix would be deep fried in a cast iron fry pan and the "taco" would puff up then be draped over a drinking glass to cool
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Homemade deep fried taco shells? 2007/02/23 18:51:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lindsey

25 years ago at a little bar me and my dad used to get these tacos. They were the best! The shells were homemade(NOT a tortila shell, fried) and big, puffy and thick. They were Exactly like the Chulupa shells at Taco Bell. Does anyone have a recipe for these? I have searched online with no luck! Lindsey in da U.P.

google "navajo fry bread" and "indian tacos". that's what you're looking for, great stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1