Hooters-Whats going on?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
doulasc
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
2011/08/31 21:41:32 (permalink)

Hooters-Whats going on?

Here in Columbus ohio we just lost two Hooters recently,Polaris and E.Main st location.
The Hilliard location will stay open but I think its days will be numbered,This now leaves only 4 Hooters left in the State of Ohio.I read on the internet Hooters is closing restaurants in other states also. It sounds to me the chain is headed for bankruptcy. It seems the bad economy hits the
restaurant indusrty hard. Can anyone fill me in?

41 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6236
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/08/31 21:57:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for keeping me abreast of this breaking news!!!!
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/08/31 22:49:18 (permalink)
    In a note to investors on Jan. 20, Goldman Sachs restaurant analyst Steven Kron said there is such a glut of sit-down restaurants in the United States that up to 12,000 would need to close in order to correct a supply-demand imbalance
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/08/31 22:49:24 (permalink)
    In a note to investors on Jan. 20, Goldman Sachs restaurant analyst Steven Kron said there is such a glut of sit-down restaurants in the United States that up to 12,000 would need to close in order to correct a supply-demand imbalance
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/01 00:51:07 (permalink)
    We have one open air Hooter's that opened up about 6 months ago near us in the front of a distressed mall that is mostly unoccupied. Interestingly, they're always packed in the evening when I drive by and appear to be doing very well. This is pretty unusual considering the night time summer temps rarely dip below 85 F and it must be very uncomofortable even with ceiling fans with our high humidity. They must be doing something right. Even the parking in a co-located garage is very inconvenient and requires taking an elevator down to the first floor. The building has been a turkey for the past 20 years and is supposed to be a text book example of everything done wrong for a retail center. Over the years, both Chili's and TGIF have tried to make in that mall and failed to attract enough customers.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10198
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/01 02:46:50 (permalink)
    Like all the theme restaurants, they run a cycle usually only staying around until the novelty wear off.
    Not sure what Hooters Novelty is but they lasted longer than most.
    Must be their uplifting reputation that sticks out with most diners.
    Now, Hooters can do a TV Reality show to compete with the new Playboy series.
    I predict the next big Theme Restaurant concept---Chippendales Weiners!!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/01 03:49:12 (permalink)
    Lee-LOL!!!!!!!!!!
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/01 09:49:00 (permalink)
    The Hooters here (in a converted Shoney's building from the '60s) has a packed parking lot every time I pass by.  I guess it depends on market conditions at each location. 
    post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/09/03 08:05:29
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4522
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/01 09:59:41 (permalink)
    doulasc

Here in Columbus ohio we just lost two Hooters recently,Polaris and E.Main st location.
    The Hilliard location will stay open but I think its days will be numbered,This now leaves only 4 Hooters left in the State of Ohio.I read on the internet Hooters is closing restaurants in other states also. It sounds to me the chain is headed for bankruptcy. It seems the bad economy hits the
    restaurant indusrty hard. Can anyone fill me in?

I hear it is quite typical to lose them in pairs.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/01 10:16:07 (permalink)
    leethebard

Thanks for keeping me abreast of this breaking news!!!!

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/01 10:20:12 (permalink)
    In Dallas, we have two new Hooter's "wannabe's".
    No joke ~  "Twin Peaks" and, "Burger Girls".
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4056
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/01 10:50:21 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

Twin, you forgot about Bonedaddy's.  http://www.bonedaddys.com/

Not only do they have by far the best food in that "segment", their "wait-costume" is more "thought-provoking"than Hooters' and the others you mentioned.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/01 11:02:13 (permalink)
    We  had two, both closed but "hoo" cares???
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/03 07:52:38 (permalink)
    DawnT

We have one open air Hooter's that opened up about 6 months ago near us in the front of a distressed mall that is mostly unoccupied. Interestingly, they're always packed in the evening when I drive by and appear to be doing very well. This is pretty unusual considering the night time summer temps rarely dip below 85 F and it must be very uncomofortable even with ceiling fans with our high humidity. They must be doing something right. Even the parking in a co-located garage is very inconvenient and requires taking an elevator down to the first floor. The building has been a turkey for the past 20 years and is supposed to be a text book example of everything done wrong for a retail center. Over the years, both Chili's and TGIF have tried to make in that mall and failed to attract enough customers.

Cocowalk?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4056
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/06 10:58:21 (permalink)
    The only Hooters' I have gone to on a regular basis is their Inner Harbor store in Baltimore.  Their food was always very good.  Now that we live near Dallas I must say that the Hooters' food "down here" is not nearly as good.

Sadly, the same can be said for all the "chains" here in DFW.  Restaurants that were "very good to wonderful" in Metro DC are nasty down here.  In that I include Hooters, Texas Roadhouse, Macaroni Grill, Logan's Roadhouse, Chili's, On the Border, and TGIF's - all of which are noisy salt-fests.  Their cooks seem to have watched a little too much Emeril as they all go "BAM!" way past the standards of their corporate kitchens.

Ang thankfully they do fail.  TGIF had to close two stores (Plano and McKinney) in our ultra-prosperous and growing Collin County due, presumably, to nasty food.  Even the Ruby Tuesday's - so consistently good back East - closed in McKinney due to vile food.   

The only "chains" that seem to keep their national quality standards are Carraba's, Grimaldi's, and Outback.  The same can be said for the local Oceanaire, but they are several cuts above a "chain".
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2011/09/06 11:12:57
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3732
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/06 12:45:31 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Twinwillow

Twin, you forgot about Bonedaddy's.  http://www.bonedaddys.com/

Not only do they have by far the best food in that "segment", their "wait-costume" is more "thought-provoking"than Hooters' and the others you mentioned.

Jim,

I have driven past the location on Spring Valley on numerous occasions.  I always thought the name was cute, but didn't even realize that this was their business....umm...segment?

You said that the food is best in this (again) "segment," but is it worth a stop? Or, are you just saying that it is better than Hooter's?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10177
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/06 13:02:16 (permalink)
    Two other Hooters knock-offs that I have found around the country are Emerson Biggins and Tilted Kilt, which now has a location here in Pittsburgh.  Not that I mind looking at pretty girls, but I would rather go someplace with good food.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/06 13:15:43 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    Two other Hooters knock-offs that I have found around the country are Emerson Biggins and Tilted Kilt, which now has a location here in Pittsburgh.  Not that I mind looking at pretty girls, but I would rather go someplace with good food.

We have Tilted Kilts out here. The one I've been to has pretty good food and was voted "Best Sports Bar" in Phoenix! 
    Their Corporate office is right here in Tempe!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/09/06 13:22:51
    SeamusD
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 999
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/06 14:03:37 (permalink)
    The two Hooters in central NY close a few years ago. My ex-wife and I got severe  food poisoning from bad burger meat at the one that was at Carousel Mall.  We apparently weren't the only ones, as they had a surprise visit from a health inspector not long after that, and they were shut down temporarily. They didn't last much longer after reopening.

I used to frequent the ones in Bellevue, WA, and Lake Union in Seattle, and the food was always very good. Almost every Sunday evening would find me and some friends crushing a mountain of wings and a few pitchers of beer to cap the weekend off.
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1354
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/13 17:17:17 (permalink)
    On Sunday afternoons the one here has a parking lot full of motorcycles, mostly Harleys. It must be a meeting place for bikers. I have not been there, but I hear that they have really good hot wings.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/13 18:44:26 (permalink)
    In my opinion, they have mediocre wings. I have eaten there many times because of the hype of the food( Bob seemed intersted in other things) and found the food sub par. Couldnt care less if they all close.
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/13 21:22:49 (permalink)
    They serve food?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7738
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/14 08:57:50 (permalink)
    Believe it or not I used to go to hooters- for  tuesday night  trivia with the guys and that's it.I haven't been there in over 4 years.  If I was in a drinking mood- I would get Sam Adam's- if I wasn't then all I would have is a diet coke- I refused to eat there. Even when our table won- we would get coupons for free food- that meant nothing to me.
    I've had their wings years ago and they are flat out nasty...

Since I dated a former hooters girl in the past , it took all the fun out of oogling- so even that didn't happen.
    collinf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 163
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/15 20:21:04 (permalink)
    I think the Hooter's restaurants in Ohio are franchised operations.  I know they are in Indiana and some parts of Illinois.  I think the difference is in if they are corporate run or franchised operations.
    senor boogie woogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/27 06:38:45 (permalink)
    I am an American living in China. In my city of Hangzhou, there are several American and western chains of fast food. Subway (which is over $6 USD for a footlong, too expensive), bunches of KFC's and Starbucks, Pizza Hut's (which is a total head scratcher since Pizza Hut is expensive and sucks)  and a few McDonalds.

Saying that, about 5 years ago a Hooter's branch opened. Frankly, I never liked Hooters that much in America. I always thought the concept was a bit degrading for women, and frankly, the menu wasn't anything special. Chicken wings? Even my dumbass knows how to make those. It's not haute cuisine.

But I was interested in what it was like here. It was just about exactly the same, down to the floor plan and the kitchsh. The Chinese girls in those outfits were cute. One minor annoyance was that they were required to do a performance once an hour. Not required in my book, but it creates a "festive" atmosphere. One was required to stand at the door in those shorts when it was winter and cold outside. Places where the staff SHOUTS "Welcome to (Our Company)!!" usually makes me run out the door. Why does management make them do that? They hate to do it, and we the customers hate to hear it.

Didn't have the chicken wings, but I had the hamburger and the steak sandwich, which were both just not good to awful. I chalk that up a lot to hiring local staff, who really do not know how to make the food correctly. That steak sandwich was just a blob of grease, funky meat, a limp bun with some old curly fries next to it. For about 10 USD. Everything in there was expensive, plus a 15% SERVICE FEE.

The branch survived about a year or so, and then went out of business. Hangzhou is near Shanghai, and it does well enough there because of the amount of Westerners to support it. Hangzhou has a smaller expat community, and frankly, the Chinese themselves did not like the food, the prices for mediocre food they were not familiar with, nor the concept. Other places like Subway, KFC, Starbucks have survived and thrived by knowing and catering to the wants and needs of the local customer. Chinese like Subway because of the vegetables, KFC because it is chicken, and also because KFC was very wise to allow different menu items for local tastes (and taking out all the good menu items KFC has), Starbucks for hot drinks (Chinese love tea/coffee houses where they can sit on their butts for hours playing Iphone or reading magazines)  Hooters for some odd reason thought an exact store in a city in China would go over like one in Tennessee. 

Not to mention that a custodian or guard (after hours, and not by the food) died on their property, after hours. That's some bad ju-ju on the place and it shuttered right after that. Hooters said they will return, but they haven't, and probably never will. Good riddance.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/27 14:13:42 (permalink)
    Hooters in China??? Since Asian women tend to be small breasted, did they call it Little Hooters????
    SeamusD
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 999
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/27 15:32:29 (permalink)
    collinf

I think the Hooter's restaurants in Ohio are franchised operations.  I know they are in Indiana and some parts of Illinois.  I think the difference is in if they are corporate run or franchised operations.

I think that makes a big difference. The wide variation in quality between a lot of them is staggering. I've been to some that are clean as a whistle, the food is well prepared and tasty, the staff is friendly, clean, and prompt... and then there are the places like the one that gave me food poisoning.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5018
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/27 15:57:08 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

If I was in a drinking mood- I would get Sam Adam's- if I wasn't then all I would have is a diet coke- I refused to eat there. Even when our table won- we would get coupons for free food- that meant nothing to me.

Maybe they would've tasted better with a Budweiser?

I was really disappointed the first time I tried them.  All the advertising hype had me believing that they were going to be fantastic...and to me they weren't.

Brad
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/27 16:13:37 (permalink)
    Bob just came back from China, dont judge.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7738
    Re:Hooters-Whats going on? 2011/09/27 18:01:45 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

wanderingjew

If I was in a drinking mood- I would get Sam Adam's- if I wasn't then all I would have is a diet coke- I refused to eat there. Even when our table won- we would get coupons for free food- that meant nothing to me.

Maybe they would've tasted better with a Budweiser?

Brad

I  like Sam Adams

Are you inferring that I'm a second class citizen???

That's it I'm done with you too Screaming Brad 

(btw- how many people am I done with already???) 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1