Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom

Author
RestaurantBiz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
2012/07/02 12:08:35 (permalink)

Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom

Check out this article (www.industryintel.com/news/read/3362821920/US-breastaurants----or-sports-bars-that-feature-scantily.html) on these "breastaraunts" (i didn't even realize this was a segment of the restaurant industry other than Hooters) - 30% sales growth last year - most restaurants would kill for that kind of growth. I guess the old adage that sex sells is still very much accurate. 

What do you attribute this staggering sales growth to? Why aren't other restaurant segments seeing similar growth?

post edited by RestaurantBiz - 2012/07/02 12:21:33

12 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom 2012/07/02 14:22:44 (permalink)
    From the article, I would guess that it is probably the sex angle that gets the customer in the first time, but it is the menu variety that brings them back again and again.  After all, the article says that Hooter's has been struggling for business with their basic menu, and only now is starting in a few outlets to offer more variety. 

These days, unless you are attracting people with a relatively bargain price (which many chains are doing), or are a well-established Roadfood operation, you need to offer something different in the way of a menu from what everyone else is serving, and continue to evolve with periodic menu changes.  After all, few people eat exactly the same thing day in and day out when they cook and eat at home, so why should a restaurant expect them to patronize a restaurant often that has a very limited menu?
    RestaurantBiz
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re:Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom 2012/07/02 14:36:16 (permalink)
    I've only been to Hooters once or twice. Not a fan of the food which is why I don't have interest in going. Do guys actually like the food there or do they just like ogling the waitresses? That's why I've never really understood Hooter's success. I've always wondered how much of their success is directly linked to their scantly-clad waitresses. 
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 756
    Re:Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom 2012/07/02 18:09:15 (permalink)
    I have no problem with it. Better than being behind the Fat Girl at the salad Bar.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10110
    Re:Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom 2012/07/02 18:34:31 (permalink)
    Life Cycle of Hooters.
    The 70's - novel, sexy, wings a new thing.
    The 80's - less novel, less sexy, OK wings Competitors entry.
    The 90's - Living off expansion and Non-food marketing
    The 00's - Struggling, slowdown in growth. More competition, Quality Dip.
    The present - Looking for new identity, new products, Old Hat
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom 2012/07/02 20:26:10 (permalink)
    jcheese

I have no problem with it. Better than being behind the Fat Girl at the salad Bar.

LMAO now that's funny.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom 2012/07/02 20:36:53 (permalink)
    They're all dipping the cotton candy through the chocolate fountain.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom 2012/07/02 20:43:55 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Life Cycle of Hooters.

In the 70's I used to go to Florida in February every year. My wife was a teacher and got a two week break and I always could get time off my job. We would spend a couple of weeks down there and never stay more than a couple of nights in the same town. We'd just bounce around the state to where ever the weather was good tan on the beach during the day and eat at some great restaurants.

Someone told us about a fairly new place called Hooter's and so we went. The biggest draw besides the girls was wrestling on a bunch of big TVs and the college guys and girls shouting and cheering for their favorites. We both were laughing  our tails off because there was a great atmosphere in the place everyone was just having a great time. They also had an outdoor volleyball court that was always busy. It really wasn't just the girls, the food and beer were really cheap and not bad for what you paid. I liked it then, but we have one in town and I haven't been there in years. I see little prestige in being a local hooters girl now. But the original store we visited in Florida did have some glamor to it. The girls were treated very well and my impression was they were the best of the area. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10110
    Re:Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom 2012/07/02 21:21:45 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

Foodbme

Life Cycle of Hooters.
    The 80's - novel, sexy, wings a new thing.
    The 90's - less novel, less sexy, OK wings Competitors entry.
    The 00's - Living off expansion and Non-food marketing
    The 10's - Struggling, slowdown in growth. More competition, Quality Dip.

In the 70's I used to go to Florida in February every year. My wife was a teacher and got a two week break and I always could get time off my job. We would spend a couple of weeks down there and never stay more than a couple of nights in the same town. We'd just bounce around the state to where ever the weather was good tan on the beach during the day and eat at some great restaurants.

Someone told us about a fairly new place called Hooter's and so we went. The biggest draw besides the girls was wrestling on a bunch of big TVs and the college guys and girls shouting and cheering for their favorites. We both were laughing  our tails off because there was a great atmosphere in the place everyone was just having a great time. They also had an outdoor volleyball court that was always busy. It really wasn't just the girls, the food and beer were really cheap and not bad for what you paid. I liked it then, but we have one in town and I haven't been there in years. I see little prestige in being a local hooters girl now. But the original store we visited in Florida did have some glamor to it. The girls were treated very well and my impression was they were the best of the area. 

I too visited the original location in Clearwater back in the 80's and it did have a great vibe to it.
    Something never done publicly before.
    It was new, fresh & fun! A little Risque at the time but tame by today's standards, IF you can call them Standards! Kinda like the mystique of the Playboy Clubs.
    Now, THERE was a concept!!!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom 2012/07/02 21:46:22 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

Foodbme

Life Cycle of Hooters.

Doc, you decide to go topless and I'm taking your Q off my bucket list.
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 350
    Re:Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom 2012/07/02 21:53:41 (permalink)
    Contrary to a lot of other people I know, I still like their wings best!
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom 2012/07/02 23:03:08 (permalink)
    I've only been there once to the Miami's Bayside location around mid 2000 when my stepson came down from TN to visit and wanted to see what the fuss was all about. At least from his perspective it was a disappointment. I have to admit that for a company that made a big deal about defending their hiring policies to well endowed and very attractive young ladies meanwhile defending their policy to not hire males as servers, this location was hardly representative of the idealized, Miami female form by any stretch. The costs that I recall for a chicken sandwich for my stepson, basket of fries, and three cold drinks was abusrdly high. Whatever it was, it was more then what I carried in cash and put it on a card. I remember that he also wanted a t-shirt from their gift shop for bragging rights back home. That wasn't inexpensive either. The food was terrible. He took only a few bites of the sandwich and our fries were limp.

They've recently opened one up nearby that's open air and is always packed into the late evenings. Often I find myself along side waiting in traffic and the clientelle appears to be mostly families, couples, an groups of gals. I guess the novelty as a guy's oggling joint has worn off and maybe they have something worth eating nowadays to pack such a crowd especially on weekend evening in this heat. 
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom 2012/07/07 12:57:04 (permalink)
    I think the increase has to be the economy loosening up a bit again. My kitchen and granite business is beginning to increase again this year too.

In the 90's I went to a Hooters in Alabama a few times - the girls were very good looking and nice to the customers. When they started to open up in the north they imported girls from down south at first but not the local girls working at hooters in CT are for the most part nothing to stare at. A few have a fun attitude and joke around with you. The attraction is just not the same as it was down south. I think people up north go there for the mystique of it. The food is just typical franchise crap anyway.
    post edited by Chicnscoop - 2012/07/07 12:58:28
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1