Hopkins Boarding House, Pensacola

Author
pcolajeff
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2004/02/25 19:04:13 (permalink)

Hopkins Boarding House, Pensacola

Just a few weeks ago I contacted the Sterns with the great news that Hopkins Boarding House in Pensacola had a website (yours truly being the mostly volunteer webmaster)

But now I must make the sad and shocking announcement that Hopkins House has closed and the owner is looking for a buyer. I haven't even made the change to the website yet. Here's a link to the Pensacola newspaper article:
http://pensacolanewsjournal.com/news/022504/Local/ST002.shtml

I am heartbroken but will keep the group apprised of any news, hopefully good news.

4 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7372
    RE: Hopkins Boarding House, Pensacola 2004/02/25 19:14:32 (permalink)
    Oh my. Too sad! I LOVE the Hopkins Boarding House! I've had many, many excellent meals there. I can understand the owner not wanting to do this kind of work any more.
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Hopkins Boarding House, Pensacola 2004/02/25 19:27:51 (permalink)
    There's no emoticon to match how sad that news makes me.
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Hopkins Boarding House, Pensacola 2004/02/25 19:37:56 (permalink)
    I honestly do not know how they stayed in business this long with the low low prices that they charged. You either have to lower the quality or raise the prices and I think that they did not want to do either. It was just best to close
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Hopkins Boarding House, Pensacola 2004/02/25 20:18:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

There's no emoticon to match how sad that news makes me.

This is truly sad. Sometimes I think that a Roadfood review should also automatically merit some sort of designation by the National Historic Register or the Smithsonian, or the Beard foundation or something ...

Our meal at the Hopkins Boardinghouse was one of two highlights of our drive a few years ago -- the other being lunch at the Walkulla Springs Lodge.

While I am sad, a thanks must also go to Jane and Michael. Without my dogeared Eat your Way Across the USA, I never would have found this wonderful place.

Such a shame that in the age of $2 happy meals, a reasonably priced real food restaurant has to close -- I hope the owner is successful in finding someone who will keep the place up.

The memories of our meal there will last. Here's to other Roadfood restaurants ...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1