The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hoppel Poppel Mystery Solved (sort of)

Michael Stern

Hoppel Poppel Mystery Solved (sort of) Tue, 05/9/06 7:47 AM (permalink)
Jillian-Beth Stamos-Kaschke of Berlin was reading about our memoir Two for the Road on the NPR web site. In the book, we ponder the name of hoppel poppel and come up blank for an explanation of how it came about. Jillian-Beth offered this explanation:

The name Hoppel Poppel doesn't actually mean anything but is taken from an old children's poem called Pottkieker (literally "The person who peeked into the pot") which goes "Mummy, mummy, what's in the pot?", to which the mother rather impolitely replies "Hoppel, Poppel, Appelreis, mach' dich fort, Naseweis" (hoppel, poppel, apple rice, now get lost, nosy child").

Thank you, Jillian-Beth. And here is a picture of it, as served at Benji's Deli in Milwaukee:

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
    RE: Hoppel Poppel Mystery Solved (sort of) Tue, 05/9/06 8:40 AM (permalink)
    Looks good------a little of this and a little of that and pretty soon comes out
    der Hoppel-Poppel, Yah !!!!!! Actually are their specific ingredients, or is it leftovers plus ??????

Michael Stern

RE: Hoppel Poppel Mystery Solved (sort of) Tue, 05/9/06 9:39 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Looks good------a little of this and a little of that and pretty soon cums out
      der Hoppel-Poppel, Yah !!!!!! Actually are their specific ingredients, or is it leftovers plus ??????

In my experience, every place that serves it is a little bit different. But at Benji's, they're specific. There is regular hoppel poppel, which is eggs, potatoes and salami, and there is super hoppel poppel, which adds onions, cheese and, I believe, peppers.

Tastytoo

• Total Posts: 271
        RE: Hoppel Poppel Mystery Solved (sort of) Tue, 05/9/06 12:32 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Michael Stern

quote:
        Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Looks good------a little of this and a little of that and pretty soon cums out

In my experience, every place that serves it is a little bit different. But at Benji's, they're specific. There is regular hoppel poppel, which is eggs, potatoes and salami, and there is super hoppel poppel, which adds onions, cheese and, I believe, peppers.
        I'll have to try the super at Benji's. Sounds like the one I used to get here in Chicago at the now gone Belden's. Thanks.

jvano

• Total Posts: 1
          RE: Hoppel Poppel Mystery Solved (sort of) Mon, 03/31/08 3:26 PM (permalink)
          I have been cooking and eating hoppel poppel for more than fifty years. In addition to the eggs, potatoes, onions, our version (northwestern Ohio, northeastern Indiana) includes a cured pork meat, usually leftover ham or bacon. My mother's way also includes cubes of sturdy bread, fried up with the potatoes and onions before the meat is added. The eggs are scrambled and add last. The bread is slightly crunchy but also soaks up some of the egg mixture, a bit like french toast. We ALWAYS eat hoppel poppel with a side of buttery stewed tomatoes. The sweetness and acidity of the tomatoes is perfect with the richness of the hoppel poppel.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
            RE: Hoppel Poppel Mystery Solved (sort of) Mon, 03/31/08 9:24 PM (permalink)
            Roadtrip!

MFL, X1, CSD, AnnP, Buddy R, and too many others to count. Is Benji's on the agenda for the next one?

I learned Hoppel Poppel from another dad on a Boy Scout campout. It's an excellent dutch oven breakfast.

JIm

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
              RE: Hoppel Poppel Mystery Solved (sort of) Tue, 04/1/08 11:28 AM (permalink)
              We serve up that kind of concoction for camping breakfast, mainly eggs, potatoes, and sausage, all the time because it can all go in one pot over a fire. Never called it anything. Now I guess I can call it Hoppel Poppel.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                RE: Hoppel Poppel Mystery Solved (sort of) Tue, 04/1/08 3:09 PM (permalink)
                CSD wanted to do a Elkhart Lake/Road America/Sheboygan tour with us meeting at Benji's. I'm not sure if I can commit to the tour but I'd sure try for the hoppel poppel start.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                  RE: Hoppel Poppel Mystery Solved (sort of) Tue, 04/1/08 5:48 PM (permalink)
                  I would definately do the Benjis-went to their Fox Point location yesterday to meet a friend for a light lunch.While the hoppel poppel was definately available at 3pm, I chose an egg salad sandwich on challah bread.They have outstanding egg salad!!!And I took home 3/4 lb of chopped liver and a loag of sliced challah...my cardiologist would kill me but didnt affect my blood sugar at all!! I enjoyed(and am still enjoying)every bit!!

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                    RE: Hoppel Poppel Mystery Solved (sort of) Tue, 04/1/08 8:49 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

CSD wanted to do a Elkhart Lake/Road America/Sheboygan tour with us meeting at Benji's. I'm not sure if I can commit to the tour but I'd sure try for the hoppel poppel start.

Mike,

I spoke with him about that very trip earlier this year. I am in, if it is in the Summer.

I'll try to stretch the trip on up to T'Rivers for sliders and raw fries w/gravy at Phil Rohrer's (4 Ho'made Soups). A meal by Ann there may put her cardiologist in the ground.

Jim

http://www.htrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071213/MAN04/712130523/1398

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                      RE: Hoppel Poppel Mystery Solved (sort of) Wed, 04/2/08 9:08 AM (permalink)
                      Jim-That restaurant looks great!I would have a very hard time choosing my meal from the wide variety of things they offer...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com