Hormel Chili ?

Author
LarryRickenbacker
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
2006/07/28 23:15:02 (permalink)

Hormel Chili ?

Howdy,

I'm going to use Hormel Chili with my cart, due mostly to it's availability. It was between Hormel, Chef-Mate (cheap) and Wolfe.
Hormel is the most readily available so that was a big factor. It's certainly isn't cheap!
How do YOU feel about Hormel? Please weigh in. My wife and I are thrilled about opening our new cart next week. We'll sell Shave-Ice, Earl Campbell Hot-links, all Beef Hot Dogs, Nachos. 'Dogs, et al.
My cart is in Bossier City, La., at the Airline Dr. Home Depot.
Hope any Forum members in the E. Tex/NW La. area find time to visit!
I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

LarryRickenbacker

24 Replies Related Threads

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/07/31 14:37:43 (permalink)
    My boss uses "Homestyle Chili", provided by US Foodservice..
    Not sure of the cost, but it is pretty good for a canned chili.
    Never had a complaint on it. It is the perfect consistancy for dogs, nachos, fries.. etc....
    lunasatic
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/07/31 14:40:05 (permalink)
    Hormel is ok; homemade is better. Wolf is decent enough but can be greasy. Not familiar with #2.
    gostillerz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 220
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/08/19 19:44:52 (permalink)
    Do it homemade if you can. The chili can make your business.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/08/19 20:11:53 (permalink)
    We also use Homestyle Chili from Us Foodservice as Roosy said.Pretty good stuff and we sell alot of it....
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/08/19 20:13:39 (permalink)
    The Hormel thing is not a good idea; as is any prepared chili. Search the web for a good recipe if necessary, but no canned chili for moi.
    Greyghost
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/08/19 20:13:58 (permalink)
    Larry,

I see you are new here but do you think you could keep the same canned chili questions to the Restaurant Professionals Board. The folk there really are some of the best pros in the biz and very willing to help. Doing the same question on every board you find is not all that cool.

Sorry to sound harsh but this site runs on rules and I am glad it does. Take the time to read the rules. That being said, welcome to Roadfood and you really are very welcome here.
    baconman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/08/22 10:25:17 (permalink)
    Hormel Chili is almost as good as Hormel Corned Beef Hash
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/08/22 10:55:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by baconman

Hormel Chili is almost as good as Hormel Corned Beef Hash

I disagree, IMHO it's almost as good as Hormel Spam.
    Starlord
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/08/28 02:19:53 (permalink)
    When my wife and I had our hot dog stand, we decided to go with canned chili for the chili dogs, due to the Health Dept rules on food having to be prepared onsite. We conducted taste tests for about three weeks, offering our dogs and sausages for half price, in return for the feedback on the food choices.

Hormel's chili, no beans was the runaway favorite of all the brands we tested, so we would fill the pan for the chili in our steam table with Hormel's, and our customers were happy. As far as hot dogs go, we ended up using the cheapest hot dogs Safeway carried. We tried Oscar Mayer, Ball Park, even Hebrew National, and the cheapos carried the day, overwhelmingly.

When it came to the smoked sausages, only John Morell would be accepted by a vast majority. Bar S sausages were described as being greasy, and leaving a greasy film on the mouth and tongue for most people. If we were to re-open today, we would have to go to Phoenix to find acceptable smoked sausages, as John Morell changed their packaging, so now, instead of 16 bun-length sausages per package, you get 2 sausages per package, each about half again as long as the bun length ones. Neither the longer sausages nor the packaging in twos would fit in with our menu.

For our brats, there is a small butcher shop in Queen Creek called the Pork Shop, and they make a decent brat at a reasonable price, which bested Johnsonville by a 2 to 1 margin in our tests.

A little tip that we discovered: We found that the little cardboard hot dog boats would cost us a nickel apiece, and we felt this was just not acceptable. Our solution was to use coffee filters. the filters cost us about a quarter cent apiece, depending on where they were purchased, held the hot dog or sausage sandwich nicely, and then could be used as a napkin before being discarded. We kept inexpensive paper napkins available, but had to use very few of them. Many people commented on the ingenuity of using coffee filters for hot dog packaging.
    baconman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/01 19:23:53 (permalink)
    Hormel Chili ranks right up there with Pedigree!
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/01 20:41:18 (permalink)
    Well, you could try Stagg, but wait a minute, that's owned by Hormel as well. The point is that you have very few choices in the commercial world. There are very few brands left in the world that actually compete with one another. Pick one and hold your nose.

I do not see why it is impossible to create your own chili sauce. It is not a complicated affair, plus it is much cheaper. Right here in River City, we have a good example. There is a very traditional dog concern that almost nobody in their right mind would patronize, yet they are millionaires. Why? Because they sell their own dog sauce in all the supermarkets.

Then again, who wants to be a millionaire? All you will do for the rest of your life is to worry about protecting your money and that is no life at all. Might as well go with the Hormel, I reckon.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/01 21:00:19 (permalink)
    Homemade chili is great if your recipe is truly a cut above. A lot of places go nuts with their "secret" recipes, which aren't worth keeping secret at all, let alone imbibing.

Some of these hot dog/chili purveyors must really laugh when they get together. Truly unique chilis are far and few between. Places try to get that mystical cachet going: "Won't tell you the hot dog brand, and our chili is a secret. Only a $1.75, my friend. It's never old, it's never new. Step right up, my friend. Try the secret recipe."

If it ain't great, use a solid, accepted, canned variety and enough with all the hush-hush nonsense. And tell your customers what it is. Gosh sakes, it's 2006.
    The Bear
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/02 10:57:26 (permalink)
    Just saw a "top it" pouch of chili right next to the dogs at wallyworld. It looked kinda like those tuna pouches. Hmmm, who made that chili? Good marketing idea I thought.
    Joe
    TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/04 22:24:44 (permalink)
    Hormel chili is garbage!
    TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/06 17:50:53 (permalink)
    Last time I got Hormel, the beef was all clumped together in chunks instead of broken down into bits, and you could taste the spices... in a bad way, like they weren't part of the chili or cooked into it... like if you made chili, put it in a bowl, and then mixed chili powder in.

Bush's is okay. Anyone like Bush's?
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/06 18:36:08 (permalink)
    Maybe you got an old can HotPep? Don't get me wrong, Hormel is not my fav chili but it IS the top selling chili in the world.

Larry, how are your Hormel dogs selling? I hope to get to Bossier in a few weeks. I'll look you up.
    Joe
    rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/06 18:53:26 (permalink)
    Larry,
    Chili? Depends on what you use it for, customer preference, etc. From your perspective, as a food provider, you need a reliable supplier. Now, as for your hot link choice, EARL CAMPBELLS is the top dog in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wish you much success!
    Rouxdog,
    Carrizozo, New Mexico
    LarryRickenbacker
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/17 18:43:11 (permalink)
    Howdy,

Overall, business is "up". My 'dogs are selling better. Recently I made a standing offer to the employees: FREE can of Soda with Hot Dog/Hot Link/ Nachos purchase. This has been a "win-win" for both sides! Sno-Cones are doing fair, but won't really click until mid March.
    Everyone (myself included) seems to like Hormel Chili.

LarryRickenbacker
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/18 12:20:52 (permalink)
    Glad things are going well Larry!

How is the response to the Earl Campbell hot links?

Hormel IS the #1 selling chili in the US.
    Joe
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/18 13:39:02 (permalink)
    If I don't make what I call "my own" I'll eat Hormel. ("My own" is almost invariably a slightly modified version of Wick Fowler's 2-alarm mix.) Don't like Bush's, absolutely loathe Wolf's.

I did a[url='http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&as_qdr=all&q=mix+%222-alarm+chili%22+recipe&btnG=Search']search[/url] on Fowler's and found several recipes for imitations. You might try one of them.
    CasperImproved
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/19 18:36:03 (permalink)
    I sometimes use hormel as a base if I am rushed for time, of course adding the normal un-measured ingredients for chili. Hormels, while as a stand-alone product is not that great, is a good starter if you don't have the time to prep the beans (sorry if I affended the TX folks).

As mentioned on another thread, I never measure, or even for that fact include a list of specific ingredients since I tend to add what sounds good at the moment, and never use a recipe... but I do normally include beans.

Casper
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10074
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/19 19:36:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greyghost

Well, you could try Stagg, but wait a minute, that's owned by Hormel as well. The point is that you have very few choices in the commercial world. There are very few brands left in the world that actually compete with one another. Pick one and hold your nose.

I do not see why it is impossible to create your own chili sauce. It is not a complicated affair, plus it is much cheaper. Right here in River City, we have a good example. There is a very traditional dog concern that almost nobody in their right mind would patronize, yet they are millionaires. Why? Because they sell their own dog sauce in all the supermarkets.

Then again, who wants to be a millionaire? All you will do for the rest of your life is to worry about protecting your money and that is no life at all. Might as well go with the Hormel, I reckon.

Stagg Chili would Gag a Maggot! That stuff's TERRIBLE!
    Big Sausage
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/19 20:23:01 (permalink)
    You have a winner with Hormel, it's reasonably priced and can stock up when it goes on sale. When making chili dogs it is my first choice, mine is always the hot and the wife's is the no bean.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Hormel Chili ? 2006/09/25 15:23:36 (permalink)
    right on Casper! I just said basically the same thing in the favorite chili thread. The only ingrediant that doesnt change in my chili is the ground beef, anything else is up for grabs from the pantry. No crushed tomatoes? Canned spagetti sauce with basil and 4 cheeses goes right in, short on ground beef? a package of breakfast sausage or some venison goes on in. Even the mix of hot sauces will vary depending on which I grab from the frig door
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1