Horse Show, Estate Auction, 5K Marathon

Author
brickboo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
2013/04/11 14:15:10 (permalink)

Horse Show, Estate Auction, 5K Marathon

I did a Horse Show for a club last Saturday. It was the best day I've had since I started my business. A friend of mine recommended me to her friend for the Horse Show. I also got an Estate Auction from this too for this Saturday.

Sunday after next is a 5K Marathon for a young child who received a heart transplant last summer and didn't survive. The funds I think will go to the organization who helps children to be able to have this surgery if I'm not mistaken.

They all wanted coffee and donuts for the morning around 8 AM. I brought 4 dozen for the Horse Show, but only sold 2 dozen. I just made a few dollars on coffee. Did pretty good on Dogs and Sausages. I also sold a few chocolate hershey bars, kit kats etc.

Anyone familiar with Estate Auctions? If so please feel free to make suggestions.

Last week a lady stopped at Walgreens and bought a combo for her and her son. She is the person who asked if I'd be interested in doing the Marathon. It will be headquartered at the Little Salt Wash which is where I tried to get the baseball catering position but it was taken. They also have football and soccer that I'm trying to get involved with.

Again anyone with experience and suggestions? I'd appreciate it.
Thanks again,
Boo Hargis

10 Replies Related Threads

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Horse Show, Estate Auction, 5K Marathon 2013/04/11 15:51:35 (permalink)
    Is it an Estate Auction or an Estate sale? I'm not a vendor but a patron of both. An estate sale is just like a garage sale, people in and out all day BUT if it's a really prestigious sale, people will line up at 5-6 am and you may have some good breakfast/coffee sales. An auction is all day long and again coffee breakfast sales for those to come do preview. The auction can go well in to the afternoon but the ones I have been to usually say "lunch counter provided by......" so the auction house has made their own connection.

Just my experience, I hope it helps!
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 761
    Re:Horse Show, Estate Auction, 5K Marathon 2013/04/11 18:49:25 (permalink)
    Hang in there , Boo. This is how it works. One job leads to another. Just keep your quality up. Check  www.auctionzip.com for auctions in your area. Always be selling yourself. Remember, it's easier to sell to old customers than new ones, if you do the job right.
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Horse Show, Estate Auction, 5K Marathon 2013/04/11 19:54:28 (permalink)
    Jack, thanks friend. I get email from Auctionzip. I guess I should email the people doing the auction and let them know of my   catering services.
    Kland01s, it's an Estate Auction. She said she's had 30 to 200 people at her auctions. She has a Jet plane of some sort still in a crate in the garage to auction off. She expects a large turn out at this auction.
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Horse Show, Estate Auction, 5K Marathon 2013/04/11 20:14:02 (permalink)
    Boo, success doesn't come over night. You'll find your niche. You've got the desire and need. When things are slow, play your Sax.
    My daily spot has not totally paid off, but it has so much potential. Awesome pull-in, pull-out feature.  I'm cleaning it up, will be planting flowers soon. Keep meaning to bring my guitar. Thinking a TubeSteak Tuesday jam session. Folks will see the music action, grab some dogs. If they buy few dogs.....what a way to make a livin' !!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Horse Show, Estate Auction, 5K Marathon 2013/04/11 20:15:01 (permalink)
    Well a crated jet plane is sure a a different level!
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Horse Show, Estate Auction, 5K Marathon 2013/04/11 20:48:59 (permalink)
    I'll let you guys know what happens.
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Horse Show, Estate Auction, 5K Marathon 2013/04/13 18:06:20 (permalink)
    FWIW, an Estate Auction does not compare with a Horse Show for profit. I made more at the Estate Auction than I do at Walgreens on any give day, but it did not compare to the horse show.

The lady Auctioneer is a real sweetheart. She says she has a much bigger Estate Auction on the 27th. So I'll see how that goes in the next couple of weeks.

I'm thinking that maybe the 5k Marathon may be the biggest event for me. That will be in a few weeks also. 

The biggest event we have in my town is the "Fall Festival." I was just told today by my friends wife that I can set up on main street in front of their Carquest Auto Parts Store. It's their personal property and I won't even have to pay a fee. The retailers on Main Street have this privilege.

I'm sure someone will not be happy about this, so I'm glad I did some boxing. Gonna get the speed bag and heavy bag dusted off and run a couple miles a day for a month before the big event just in case. I'm also glad my oldest son can squat 800lbs. Lol!
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Horse Show, Estate Auction, 5K Marathon 2013/04/13 21:16:34 (permalink)
    Boo, why the hell do you shrink your  fonts?
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Horse Show, Estate Auction, 5K Marathon 2013/04/14 00:15:37 (permalink)
    Jack after a while I have a problem with this size font. However I can spend more time reading this size and my eyes do not grow dim. So, I'm thinking maybe other members have the same problem so I've been using this size font. If it bugs most members, I'll stop. 
    SDJunkMan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:Horse Show, Estate Auction, 5K Marathon 2013/04/14 13:54:20 (permalink)
    I've been going to estate auctions or over 20 years and working them for a couple of years.  They range from terrible to great.  One of the main problems with auctions, is that the auctuioneer will want you to work all of their sales, and not let you pick and choose.  I have worked several where I lost money or just broke even, and there have been some really good ones.  The ones that seem to be the best are the country farm auctions.  Usually you are the only option for food and drink.  Sales in town are usually worse because there are fast food and convience stores nearby. 

I try to keep my prices reasonable, as auction people are usually looking for a deal.  The vendors that charge high prices (event pricing) usually don't last.   Coffee is big during the cooler months, although I usually have a pot on at every sale (I work out of a trailer, so I have a little extra room over a dog cart).  I also have a pot of hot water and tea bags (not too popular but cheap), Spiced Cider, and  Cocoa packets at the cooler weathern sales.  Doughnuts do OK at sales that start early, and I find that if you individually bag the  leftovers and freeze them, they aren't too bad (for my own use, not to sell).  We lso do breakfast burritos at the really big sales that start early.

Candy bars and chips do OK at some sales, especially ones that people bring their children to.

During hot weather bottled water sells like crazy.

Jeff
    Black Hills of South Dakota
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1