Hostess Fruit Pies

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
kevaxe2k2
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2010/10/19 21:53:03 (permalink)
I am in Michigan, we have them here.

Hostess says they are only seasonal, though. I generally only see them in the summer.I have Hostess outlet down the street and they have moved on to Peach.

Blackberry is only available out West, where it is very common.
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 443
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2010/11/21 20:13:15 (permalink)
FOUND!  I finally got a Hostess peach at a truck stop in Franklin, Kentucky.

There's a rumor going around that some Flying J stores in that state offer Ale-8-1 in the fountain.  That turned out not to be true at this location, but a Hostess peach is a decent consolation prize.
kevaxe2k2
Hamburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2010/11/26 22:29:45 (permalink)
Awesome, love the peach!

I was stunned and pleased to find a Mrs. Freshley's lemon pie at my local independent grocery store.  It was the only flavor they had. I had seen their pies twice before  (once in Northern Michigan and once in Tenn.) and both times, despite the name, they were rock hard and clearly left on the shelf too long at those gas stations. I knew this one would be fresh, based on where I was getting it from. And it was quite good. Will be keeping an eye to see if any other flavors pop up
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2010/11/27 09:27:35 (permalink)
I'd like to find the peach.  I bought an apple a couple of weeks ago, and when heated, it was reasonably good.  My favorite fruit is peach, though, so I'll be on the lookout for it.
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2010/11/27 11:11:50 (permalink)
There's a Flying J on I-75/40 your side of Knoxville, MellowRoast - maybe they have some there?
artdog5110
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/01/30 12:23:10 (permalink)
kevaxe2k2

Blueberry has been discontinued. I finally wrote the company and they wrote me back with the bad news.

I have heard of Hubigs and will try them.  But for now the HOstess Blackberry Pie is my white whale!

Sad to hear blueberry dc'd. When my older brother and I were kds in the late 70's the local store we would walk to always had apple and cherry but blueberry  they would have just occasionaly. When one would pop up we would go crazy. I remember them as stickier and harder to eat, but great. I still live in North Texas but in a much smaller town. Apple and cherry are still the kingpins and peach is very common. I found chocolate only once on a visit back home. Strawberry rarely, (love it) and Lemon can be very hit or miss, which is tough as it is my very favorite. 
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4587
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/01/30 12:44:40 (permalink)
Hey Kevin, where'd you go? I'm ready for you.
Bill
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4512
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/01/31 12:43:48 (permalink)
bill voss

Bill

ooooooooooooook
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4587
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/01/31 12:45:58 (permalink)
joerogo

bill voss

Bill

ooooooooooooook

You and your wife have separate bedrooms. Right?
kevaxe2k2
Hamburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/05/14 20:36:18 (permalink)
So I went to  store by my house today and they had Dolly Madison Cherry and Apple pies. Now, as you know Dolly MAdison is now owned by Hostess (IBC) and, I believe, the Dolly Madison products (Zingers, cupcakes, doughnuts, etc) are just the Hostess products repackaged.

Up until this point I have not seen the pies. I have fond memories as a kid of the Dolly Madison pies with the Peanuts comics in the package and the characters on the wrappers. I believe Chocolate was my fave.

These pies do not appear to be the same as Hostess. They are boxed and appear smaller (haven't opened yet). I am wondering if it might be the JJ's pies, as I know they do a lot of private label business (Little Debbie outsources their pies to JJ's/JTM).

Anyway, was happy to find it.

kevaxe2k2
Hamburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/05/14 21:05:17 (permalink)
Yep it is definitely the JJ's/JTM pie (it actually says JTM_PIECHR right on it). Just like Little Debbies, Aldis, Savalot, etc. All the same product. A tad surprising actually, because I thought Hostess may consider JJ's a competitor to their own Hostess pies--don't know why they just didn't repackage their own

I enjoy the JJ's pies, but I think Dolly Madison's name deserved better. Wish we could have had the original recipe and flavors (mmmm Coconut). 
Fruit Pie The Magician
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/09 14:22:32 (permalink)
I found this thread while searching for some of the more 'exotic' Hostess pie
flavors.
I realize this will not help many of you, but if you pass thru Los Angeles (or
have friends or relatives who do) a local pie we have here well worth trying
is Mrs. Redd's. They are very similar to Hostess (right down to the glaze on
the crust), and very tasty!
Mrs. Redd's seems to have nailed it, and come in some great flavors
missing or hard to find in the Hostess line. Here are a few:

post edited by Fruit Pie The Magician - 2011/10/11 20:12:29
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/09 14:27:42 (permalink)
I would love the coconut creme! My cousin lives near L.A.-guess I will have him send me some. Thanks for the info!!
Fruit Pie The Magician
Junior Burger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/09 14:42:52 (permalink)
You're welcome! They're probably sold at a number of places, but tell him
Ralphs supermarkets always carry them, .59 cents each at Ralphs (on sale
this week for .50 cents!) the price is almost a crime!
Don't know their entire flavor line-up (no web site), but besides standards
like apple, cherry, lemon, & chocolate pudding I have seen, I've also heard
they have vanilla pudding and pineapple, not sure about other varieties?
And the Coconut Creme is my favorite!
post edited by Fruit Pie The Magician - 2011/07/11 14:20:05
Eatallday
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 76
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/14 14:58:20 (permalink)
got a dozen hubig chocolate pudding pies shipped to me that were delivered today.  i gotta say, i'm kind've disgusted by them.  the pudding itself is better then the hostess version, but the crust just tastes like hardened fat with some glaze on it.  i dunno, i guess some people like lard crusts, but it's not my thing.  pudding was good, not great, and there wasn't tons, but better than the crap "chocolate" pudding hostess makes. overall, gotta give it to hostess.  are there any other good brands who get the crust and pudding right?
post edited by Eatallday - 2011/07/14 15:01:27
kevaxe2k2
Hamburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/14 22:50:59 (permalink)
Wow have never heard of Mrs. Redds--thanks for posting!

I too ordered Hubigs awhile back. I was kinda disappointed as well.

I FINALLY found a Mrs. Freshley's chocolate pie the other day in Penn. The filling isn't pudding..more like a cream/paste--but it says made with Hershey's chocolate on it. I really enjoyed it.
Eatallday
Hamburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/15 10:38:50 (permalink)
kev, i'm curious, how would u rank the chocolate pudding pies you've tried?
Eatallday
Hamburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/15 10:38:51 (permalink)
kev, i'm curious, how would u rank the chocolate pudding pies you've tried?
kevaxe2k2
Hamburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/15 16:02:58 (permalink)
Hmm tough one.  I pretty much like all of them.  I would have to say:

1.  Mrs. Fresley's:  Very good. Though I believe they outsource their pies and get them private label from All-American Pies.  Best chocolate filling I have had .  Took me FOREVER to find one though lol

2.  Little Debbie/JJ's:  These pies are the same (Debbie goes through JTM foods for their pies private label).  A tad too sweet. Crust seems saturated with  grease.

3.  Hubig's:  Disappointing. 

4.  Hostess: Still enjoy these. But the chocolate pudding lacks a chocolate taste sadly. The crust is a winner.
Eatallday
Hamburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/16 15:57:23 (permalink)
mrs fresleys huh? never seen those, or little debbie ones.  i remember you posting a pic of it that looked good.  not thrilled about grease saturated crust.  i ended up eating 3 of the hubigs pies, and just giving the rest away.  they pretty much blew, and everytime i ate one i felt a burning in my chest after, and just overall weird for a few hours.  the crust and smell will probably give me nightmares for awhile.  i just wish hostess had better pudding, there's potential there.  big pie, great crust, generous amount of "pudding", it's just bad pudding. maybe i'll order the debbies online, i didn't even find anything on fresleys.  o yea, thanks for the ranking.

Fruit Pie The Magician
Junior Burger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/16 19:28:24 (permalink)
Here are a few more photos from the Mrs. Redd's product line.     I included the chocolate,
because it sounds like it's your favorite flavor. Myself, I'm more of a vanilla pudding pie guy!

kevaxe2k2
Hamburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/17 10:41:07 (permalink)
Eatallday

mrs fresleys huh? never seen those, or little debbie ones.  i remember you posting a pic of it that looked good.  not thrilled about grease saturated crust.  i ended up eating 3 of the hubigs pies, and just giving the rest away.  they pretty much blew, and everytime i ate one i felt a burning in my chest after, and just overall weird for a few hours.  the crust and smell will probably give me nightmares for awhile.  i just wish hostess had better pudding, there's potential there.  big pie, great crust, generous amount of "pudding", it's just bad pudding. maybe i'll order the debbies online, i didn't even find anything on fresleys.  o yea, thanks for the ranking.

Where are you located? I pretty much see Little Debbies everywhere I go in and out of state. 

Here is a link to the Mr.s Freshleys product page:

http://www.mrsfreshleys.c...gory.cfm?categoryid=45
Eatallday
Hamburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/25 21:45:22 (permalink)
i'm located in mass.  see little debbies everywhere, just not the pudding pies unfortunately.
Bossa Nova
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/26 19:45:54 (permalink)
Just saw a variety pack available online of six different Tastycake pies (2 of each).  Description is "Exclusive variety Tastykake pies. Pack includes 2 apple pies, 2 coconut pies, 2 blueberry pies, 2 lemon pies, 2 tasty klair pies (seasonal, if not available will be substituted), and 2 cherry pies for a total of 12 pies."

http://t.co/lVr9MvH

Fruit Pie The Magician
Junior Burger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/07/31 19:56:36 (permalink)
Here's another flavor from Mrs. Redd's, and a great one at that!
I've been slowly (as possible) working my way thru all the flavors!
I think it was mentioned on here that Hostess used to make a Pineapple pie...

SassyGritsAL
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1089
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/08/06 16:21:16 (permalink)
I found Little Debbie Blueberry fruit pies at a locally owned discount store (called Little Lots - not affiliated w/Big Lots). I was so excited because I love anything w/blueberries it it and they were 3 for $1.00! Popped one in the micro for a few seconds and tried to eat it. It was so sweet that I couldn't eat it. Was very disappointed. I love fruit pies but most are so sweet. I can get some homemade ones at the Farmers Mkt. and they are delicious.
Eric B
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/08/12 16:05:05 (permalink)
Mrs. Freshley's is Flowers. They've come out with a lot of new products (most of it under the BlueBird label), but I'm not sure if that's they're own, or third party, or maybe companies they've bought out.

Which now includes Tastykake!" /> http://www.flowersfoods.c...dDetail.cfm?BrandID=15
(Just found this out looking up the site for this post)

I've never heard of Mrs. Redd's either. The labels look like classic Hostess pie labels, though in different colors.
pieguyFTW
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/08/12 17:51:26 (permalink)
Fruit Pie The Magician

I found this thread while searching for some of the more 'exotic' Hostess pie
flavors.
I realize this will not help many of you, but if you pass thru Los Angeles (or
have friends or relatives who do) a local pie we have here well worth trying
is Mrs. Redd's. They are very similar to Hostess (right down to the glaze on
the crust), and very tasty! We also have the Safeway line of pies here as well,
but they seem a bit 'doughy' to me, the crust is not as thin, tender and flaky,
and the fillings are not as good as Hostess.
Mrs. Redd's seems to have nailed it however, and come in some great flavors
missing or hard to find in the Hostess line. Here are a few:

Dear Pie Lovers,
I appreciate the love for our product!! I am a third generation owner of Mrs. Redd's Pie Co, Inc and take great pride in what we do.  My grandfather started this company in 1956 and developed all his own recipes for the fruit and pudding flavor pies.  These pies are sold across California and parts of Nevada and Arizona in Ralphs, Food4Less, Stater Bros, Safeway, Vons, 99cent and some of the "mom and pop" grocery stores.  I have recently just brought the pies into the Dallas/Houston Texas area at Randalls Markets.  These pies are made fresh every day and are on the shelves within 24 hours of being made.  The fillings are all hand-made (which no other company does) everyday with the freshest/best quality ingredients.  Chocolate seems to be the fav on this forum so a little info on the chocolate... Our chocolate is one of our most expensive pies to make (prob why companies are d/c them) because we use Girrards Chocolate cocoa powder with a high butter/fat content and it gives a really good tasting chocolate.  Anyways... thanks for the comments and give us a try!! Any and all comments welcome.  THANKS!!
kevaxe2k2
Hamburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/08/14 18:41:48 (permalink)
Welcome!  I was fortunate enough to get some of your pies recently from a friend (I'm in Michigan) and they are fantastic!  First one I tried was the chocolate--which was quite good. Then I moved on to the berry, vanilla pudding, cherry, apple, and coconut and they are all fantastic. The filling is top notch and the crust is up there with Tastykake as the best I have had in a snack pie. And the price is amazing! You can tell the filling isn't made on the cheap like some (Little Debbies/JJ's).  Do you do any seasonal flavors or promotional stuff?
REALLY loved the vanilla. Reminded me of the Hostess Vanilla Pudding Pies (with the chocolate crust) that had a run in the mid 80s
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/08/15 15:01:54 (permalink)
I'm liking the sound of these more and more.  Sell some Mrs. Redd's pies to us here in Georgia!
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1