Hostess Fruit Pies

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
Fruit Pie The Magician
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/08/15 18:14:43 (permalink)
PieGuyFTW, thank you for your post!
I am lucky enough to live here in Los Angeles where your pies
are readily available, and I agree wholeheartedly with
kevaxe2k2, your pies are fantastic, and my favorite is your 
Coconut Creme!   
Your flavors I have discovered so far are:
-Apple
-Berry
-Cherry
-Lemon
-Pineapple
-Coconut Creme
-Chocolate Pudding
-Vanilla Pudding
Are there any others I am missing, or any seasonal flavors as
kevaxe2k2 asked?
Thank you for your wonderful pies, and God Bless the head of Mrs. Redd! 

post edited by Fruit Pie The Magician - 2011/08/15 18:19:22
pieguyFTW
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/08/17 17:12:46 (permalink)
kevaxe2k2

Welcome!  I was fortunate enough to get some of your pies recently from a friend (I'm in Michigan) and they are fantastic!  First one I tried was the chocolate--which was quite good. Then I moved on to the berry, vanilla pudding, cherry, apple, and coconut and they are all fantastic. The filling is top notch and the crust is up there with Tastykake as the best I have had in a snack pie. And the price is amazing! You can tell the filling isn't made on the cheap like some (Little Debbies/JJ's).  Do you do any seasonal flavors or promotional stuff?
REALLY loved the vanilla. Reminded me of the Hostess Vanilla Pudding Pies (with the chocolate crust) that had a run in the mid 80s

Hey Kevaxe2k2,
     We carry eight flavors (apple, berry, cherry, chocolate, vanilla, lemon, pineapple, and coconut) year around.  We do not do any seasonal/promotional flavors (we would if there was more of a demand).  We have formulas ready to roll on any type of filling you could imagine and at one time we made 14 different flavors... peach, strawberry, bananna cream, rhubarb.. ect.  But you have to make want people demand.. you know?  I am working on getting the pies to other areas of the US.  We just started shipping to Randalls Markets in Texas and I am working on Dominics Markets in Chicago and Guardinos Markets in Pennsylvania.  Im gonna try to post a pic of a conveyor full of pies so you guys can see... I have been doing this for years, but it is still pretty cool.  I am up for answering any Q's and taking suggestions.

Thanks! 

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/08/17 17:36:22 (permalink)
So cool to have your comments...is there a website that provides any additional information? 

Is it the Dominicks chain in Chicagoland that your are looking at?
kevaxe2k2
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/08/20 14:25:07 (permalink)
Odd that this is still on the Hostess site:

There's nothing more American than apple pie, but millions of Americans would argue about their favorite flavor of Hostess Fruit Pies.  Apple, cherry, lemon, blackberry, strawberry, French apple - a trip to the snack cake aisle can be like visiting a country fruit stand.

I believe French Apple was discontinued?

kevaxe2k2
Hamburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/08/20 14:25:08 (permalink)
Odd that this is still on the Hostess site:

There's nothing more American than apple pie, but millions of Americans would argue about their favorite flavor of Hostess Fruit Pies.  Apple, cherry, lemon, blackberry, strawberry, French apple - a trip to the snack cake aisle can be like visiting a country fruit stand.

I believe French Apple was discontinued?

pieguyFTW
Junior Burger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2011/09/08 16:22:33 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

So cool to have your comments...is there a website that provides any additional information? 

Is it the Dominicks chain in Chicagoland that your are looking at?

Hey ChiTown,

Yes Dominics is the chain we are looking at... they would probably be under the Safeway banner (we private label for them)

Thanks,

Mrs. Redd's

aliyascare
Junior Burger
Re:Hostess Fruit Pies 2012/03/28 05:33:01 (permalink)
The hostess fruit pies in many flavors like apple,lemon,cherry and strawberry.I like apple and lemon flavors.
ILoveMrsReddsPies
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Hostess Fruit Pies 2012/04/28 13:30:51 (permalink)
PieguyFTW, I guess you can tell how I feel about your product from my name!

Re: " Im gonna try to post a pic of a conveyor full of pies so you guys can see..."
I'd love to see a photo of a conveyor belt full of Mrs. Redd's pies!

Also, you mentioned you private-label the Safeway pies.  Are the Safeway pies the
same exact recipes as their corresponding Mrs. Redd's flavor? They seem to be identical?
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2012/10/02 17:07:34 (permalink)
RibDog

You might want to consider getting some pies from Hubig's Pies down in New Orleans.  They are my go to place for pies these days. Here is a link for them:

http://www.hubigs.com/

Hubig's are boss! Unfortunately, the shipping cost to Canada gives me pause.

Cherry and Lemon are my Hostess Fruit Pies of choice. I always try to pick some up whenever I'm in the States because they're not available in Canada.

kevaxe2k2
Hamburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2012/10/06 21:30:37 (permalink)
Sadly, Hubig's recently had a fire---total loss. They said they would rebuild.
What are the big cake brands in Canada?

Hepcat
Cheeseburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2012/10/08 17:56:33 (permalink)
Vachon absolutely dominates the cake market in Canada, and Vachon snack cakes are very, very good. In fact, no visit to Canada is complete without sampling a Passion Flakie:

They're sold individually in variety stores but treat yourself and buy a whole box of six. You won't regret it. You can't get anything like these in the States.

Vachon also bakes and distributes the chocolate Hostess Cupcakes in Canada.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2012/10/08 18:47:54 (permalink)
Vachon Miami Cakes & Maple Logs...also look great!

http://www.vachon.com/en/treat-selector/
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2012/10/09 15:36:17 (permalink)
I believe that the Jos. Louis cakes are Vachon's single biggest sellers:

My personal favourites though after the Passion Flakies are these three:

Ah! Caramels are fairly commonly found as individual double packs in variety stores. The other two are typically only available in six pack boxes.

Hepcat
Cheeseburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2012/10/09 15:40:01 (permalink)
Fruit Pie The Magician

Here are a few more photos from the Mrs. Redd's product line.     I included the chocolate,
because it sounds like it's your favorite flavor. Myself, I'm more of a vanilla pudding pie guy!

If these were available in the province of Ontario, I'd buy them! Guaranteed!

post edited by Hepcat - 2012/10/09 15:44:00
Bill48377
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2012/11/16 21:54:30 (permalink)
A sad sign of the times, hostess as we know it is gone. Some of my fondest memories growing up was associated with hostess products, particularly their pies. For me they have always hit the spot. It's funny about how hostess produced their pie flavors based on location and season. I remember as a kid I would always look forward to the trip up to the convenience store to get a coke or pepsi, bag of doritos, and a hostess fruit pie" I specifically remember it would cost just shy of a dollar... I miss those days.... My favorite was the chocolate glazed pudding pies, first the vanilla, then they had "Boston cream" and "baked Alaska(coconut), these were only available for a short time, as well as the grasshopper pie "vanilla pudding with green chocolate coating, later to be the TMNT promo pie. I also remember one other color coating and pie flavor, thought it might of been banana pie coated in a strawberry flavor glaze, cause I remember a pink glazed pie. After they discontinued the coated pudding pies I mostly ate blueberry. They also used to have coconut cream, banana cream, strawberry rhubarb, and for some reason I feel like I saw butterscotch cream a couple of times(20+years ago). I have also seen peach, chocolate, blueberry, strawberry, apple, cherry, lemon all in the last year, and blackberry I have seen but much less frequent then the seasonal fruit pies for sure. The rest of hostess cakes are eh, ok I guess, they already got rid of the choco bliss's and banana flips that I liked,the rest is so so to me. For sure a day to mourn as yet another part of our childhood and innocence is stripped away from us. I hope we can get mrs redds pies here in Michigan cause jjs pies and little debbies pies are just so so, not like a hostess.
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2012/11/16 22:02:39 (permalink)
I agree. A sad day indeed.

mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:ISO: Rare Hostess Fruit Pie flavors 2012/11/17 02:07:47 (permalink)
I bought Hostess cherry pies in college They were frequent lunch or afternoon snack at the automat machines at the student union

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1