Hot Baloney Sandwiches

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/22 15:06:25 (permalink)
NASCAR driver Eliott Sadler has a bologna burger resturant in Emporia,Virgina. It is good i have ate there. I love the thick Bologna slices.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/22 15:14:27 (permalink)
oh and i forgot to mention they are hot.
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/22 15:18:21 (permalink)
I had never heard of fried bologna sandwiches before attending my first Buffalo Bill's game at Wilson stadium. It is one of the local specialties they serve there. I can't say I have been intriuged enough to try one yet, as I usually go for the beef on wick instead. Bsed on this thread, fried bologna is not as "local" as I had thought.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/23 01:14:23 (permalink)
Had a superb fried bologna sandwich in Ashland , Ohio lst summer at a small drive-in off the main highway from the north. Just wondered if any body had an idea of the geographic range where fried bologna sandwiches are offered?
n4mtees
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/23 03:50:29 (permalink)
When I was a kid growing up in Oklahoma, Webean, my mom used to fix bologna simmered in BBQ sauce and served on a hard roll, also known as a kaiser, or a bulkie, depending on where you live.
My other favorite way to fix a hot bologna sandwich was to fry it in Worcestershire sauce, and serve it on a roll as above.
Good eating either way.
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/23 12:41:43 (permalink)
This is something I've never eaten, because it didn't appeal to me. However, I'm wondering if it comes out like porkroll. Anyone know?
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/24 01:02:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by corabeth

I love hot baloney sandwiches. The baloney is cut very thick, 1/2", & fried, served on a hamburger bun with a sweetish hot sauce with lettuce,tomato, & pickle. I come from West Virgina & these sandwiches are a staple at most local sandwich style restaurants. They are very sloppy to eat, you end up with sauce from ear to ear.

The best hot baloney sandwiches I ever had, along with the best hot dogs was at an A & W drive-in in Charleston, WV that is sadly long gone.

Since, we have been Hoosiers for almost 30 years, I make our own hot baloney sandwiches. I make a hot sauce with bottled chili sauce, lots or cayanne, brown sugar, & lemon juice.

Cora, we still have the best hot bologna right here in Charleston. I remember the A&W you're talking about over on the west side.
The best I know of is down in South Charleston at Romeo's. . . great tangy sauce, lots of lettuce and tomato and a thick slice of onion on an oversized sesame seed bun. It's a southern WV thang.
frankos72
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/24 02:03:10 (permalink)
Never had a "fried" bologna sandwich. When you all say fried do you mean deep fried or pan fried in a skillet? I'd like to try it.

As for the "curl" We did used to make "boloney bowls" when I was a kid. We'd put a piece of kraft cheese on a slice of OM bologna and put it in the microwave for about 45 seconds. It was a simple and tasty treat for us kids in our early teens.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15307
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/24 03:00:12 (permalink)
Frankos
The FRIED that I have experienced have been grilled or pan-fried...not deep fat fried.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/24 03:26:02 (permalink)
When I was in grade school, one of the biggest hits our lunch staff came up with was Hot Baloney and Cheese sandwiches. They were a hamburger bun with a piece if baloney, american cheese, and a mustard based sauce. They were wrapped in aluminum foil and baked and were far and away one of the fondest memories I have of the grade school lunch experience. I'd get three and two milks, one chocolate, one white.
Another delicacy of my youth was one of my mom's favorites. She would buy something that out butcher recognized as "Hillbilly Meat", then fry it up with pepper cheese. I found a local place that sold the meat years ago and got my kids eating it for lunch. I think the meat was called Ham Sausage in reality, but I'll have to check with mom.
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/25 12:57:41 (permalink)
Fried baloney was a tasty sandwich made
usually by my father for me and my brother
when we were between seven and twelve years
old.
It was one of the sandwiches he liked along
with fried salami.
I know we used kosher baloney and salami and
either white or rye bread with Guldens brown
mustard.
My father passed away last week and this topic
brought me back to such a warm, comforting memory.
How powerful, the memories associated with food.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/25 13:20:57 (permalink)
The "Interstate" BBQ location in the Memphis airport serves a fine baloney sandwich along with their pulled pork and ribs.

I always fix my baloney sandwiches the same way I do my livermush--with mustard, coleslaw and onions.

And yes, thin baloney will curl unless you make several cuts arond the outside before you fry it. Thick is better, fried or straight off the roll and paired with some thick american cheese on large 4 section soda crackers. We NC hillbillies called this "sawmill cuisine" (along with vienna sausages and sardines on crackers). It sure did taste good after a morning of REAL manual labor.

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/25 13:48:28 (permalink)
I liked fried baloney sandwiches but when I tasted a Taylor Pork Roll fried sandwich, I never went back. This is a PA/ NJ treat and would love to get them in Atlanta.
corabeth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/25 13:51:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SouthHillbilly

quote:

I love hot baloney sandwiches. The baloney is cut very thick, 1/2", & fried, served on a hamburger bun with a sweetish hot sauce with lettuce,tomato, & pickle. I come from West Virgina & these sandwiches are a staple at most local sandwich style restaurants. They are very sloppy to eat, you end up with sauce from ear to ear.

The best hot baloney sandwiches I ever had, along with the best hot dogs was at an A & W drive-in in Charleston, WV that is sadly long gone.

Since, we have been Hoosiers for almost 30 years, I make our own hot baloney sandwiches. I make a hot sauce with bottled chili sauce, lots or cayanne, brown sugar, & lemon juice.

Cora, we still have the best hot bologna right here in Charleston. I remember the A&W you're talking about over on the west side.
The best I know of is down in South Charleston at Romeo's. . . great tangy sauce, lots of lettuce and tomato and a thick slice of onion on an oversized sesame seed bun. It's a southern WV thang.

South,

Where is Romano's in South Charleston? I live in Indianapols, but come to the Charleston area frequently to visit my mother.
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/26 01:27:09 (permalink)
Cora,
It's "Romeo's." If you're standing on D Street right in front of the mound, make a left and it's right there on the left. . . right across from where the basketball courts used to be next to the mound.
Really good hotdogs(probably the best in town), hot bologna (their very best offering in my opinion), and killer fries. Chili aint bad when they have it. you can get a decent grilled ham sandwich. Highy recommend for a sloppy lunch.
What part of town are you from?
corabeth
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/26 07:35:56 (permalink)
quote:

Cora,
It's "Romeo's." If you're standing on D Street right in front of the mound, make a left and it's right there on the left. . . right across from where the basketball courts used to be next to the mound.
Really good hotdogs(probably the best in town), hot bologna (their very best offering in my opinion), and killer fries. Chili aint bad when they have it. you can get a decent grilled ham sandwich. Highy recommend for a sloppy lunch.

I grew up in Dunbar & my husband in big Chimmney. What part of the Valley are you from?
n4mtees
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/26 08:05:00 (permalink)
Yes, it's fried in a pan, not deep fried.
If you want to try the Worcestershire sauce, keep adding it as the baloney fries, it tends to dry rapidly, and if you don't keep the Worcesterhire moist with more sauce, clean-up will be a problem.
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/26 09:47:16 (permalink)
Cora, came here from upstate NY in '71 to attend school.
Lived in Alum Creek until a few yeas ago when I moved to South Hills.
Will be going back to AC soon. . . had enough of this Beverly Hillbilly stuff. I'll always be "that boy from NY" out there, but it's home. . . maybe they'll start calling me "that boy from South Hills" when I move back!
I lived out Lake Cheweva with some Dunbar folks back in the 70s. They were a wild hard partying bunch. I also had a college prof. friend who lived there. . . she had a bunch of daughters. . . you probably know at least one if you're between the age of late 20s to mid-late 40s.
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/29 12:25:33 (permalink)
Thanks for your thoughts Peachpie9.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/01/30 18:32:33 (permalink)
Taint much netter than a fried boloney and cheese sandwich. On regular bread or on toast. Perhaps, egg sandwiches rank up there with 'em, too.
corabeth
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/04/03 16:52:59 (permalink)
quote:

Cora,

SouthHillbilly,

Sorry to be so long in replying to your recommendation of Romeo's. I was in WV last week & went to Romeo's. I LOVED it!! A real roadfood kind of place. I had both a hot dog & a fried balony. both were great. Thanks for the hint.

Also, isn't it sad that Lake Cheweva is dried up. I spent a lot of good times there.
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/04/03 17:08:36 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Cora,

SouthHillbilly,

Sorry to be so long in replying to your recommendation of Romeo's. I was in WV last week & went to Romeo's. I LOVED it!! A real roadfood kind of place. I had both a hot dog & a fried balony. both were great. Thanks for the hint.

Also, isn't it sad that Lake Cheweva is dried up. I spent a lot of good times there.

Cora, they've got Lake Chaweva filled again. . . fixed the dam. I used to live there back around '76. Man did we ever party when I lived there! There were a bunch of us 20-25 yr olds living around the lake at the time. Whew.

Glad you liked Romeo's.
I had a hot balogna yesterday at a local place and it was ok, but just wasn't Romeo's.
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/04/04 15:02:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shaynas_mom

This is something I've never eaten, because it didn't appeal to me. However, I'm wondering if it comes out like porkroll. Anyone know?
IMHO fried bologna is nothing like porkroll but then in the porkroll thread someone said porkroll tastes like spam to him, I dont agree but different folks see/taste things differently!! German style bologna or more generally called simply, bologna, I treat it like porkroll in that theres 3 slits around the edge to prevent curling then its pan fried or done on a griddle often with american cheese melted over the top. Have the deli slice it thick (1/4" to 1/2") and serve on a hamburger bun or hard roll.
phatues
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/04/04 15:39:55 (permalink)
a few TEXAS bar-b-ques have good ol'
smoked bologna. i like it shaved real
thin, piled high in a skillet,fried
in a little butter til brown & crisp
on the outside, warm in the middle,
& stacked on bunny bread with sweet
pickles. it's awful good
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/04/04 16:42:33 (permalink)
What is bunny bread?
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7051
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/04/04 18:23:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

What is bunny bread?

Good Lord, girl, do I have to teach you everything?http://www.bunnybread.net/
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/09/20 00:12:47 (permalink)
FRIED BOLOGNA SANDWICHES

Hi,
Does anyone know what the bologna of choice is out in Cincinnati for their famous fried bologna sandwiches? I'm told they're all the rage out there..even sell 'em at the ballpark in large numbers. Plus, I'm wondering: Do they use sliced bologna, or do they put one big thick slice on the griddle, about hamburger thickness, with some cuts around the edges to give it character? That's how I'd try it. Also, do they use a toasted Kaiser role? Yep, I think that's how I'd build it, yessiree. Or you know what? How about on a toasted English muffin...if only the English muffin were about 30% bigger, huh?
I phoned some bar in a small town outside of Cincinnati that was famous for their fried bologna sandwich and tried to get some info. They were mum on the subject. Any experts out there? Thanks.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 634
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/09/20 01:00:01 (permalink)
Yeah, I grew up eating fried bologna sandwiches (northern West Virginia) as did many of my frineds too. We just grilled the bologna and placed it on toast with some yellow mustard. Nothing fancy, but did the job for a dirty bite.
raven-lt1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/10/04 11:33:03 (permalink)
As a child I pan fried baloney and ate it with Eggs and Fried rice.
I have to try that again soon. Yum!
craigdexter1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/10/15 19:07:04 (permalink)
I grew up on fried bolony....Arkansas steak sandwich....I like mine fried in a skillet then right berfore I take it out put a BBQ sauce in. Very good.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1