Hot Baloney Sandwiches

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/10/16 13:27:30 (permalink)
Yesterday the kids were all here preparing the yard for halloween. The small grill was keeping them supplied with hotdogs and thick slices of bologna!
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/10/17 09:19:23 (permalink)
I like to fry my bologna until it is browned and then put it on whte bread with yellow mustard and a slice on onion. Good
tartlett
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/10/17 15:42:09 (permalink)
One of the White castles in Jeffersoville,indiana serve fried Bologna and egg sandwich for breakfast.2bites and there gone.The good ole home fried is the best .Thick slice of bologna fried up ,slap a slice of american cheese on it ,let it melt .put it on bread,a smear of brown mustard and yum ,yum, nothing any better.When my husband and I first married ,he called it amy hillbilly sandwich,and well guess who likes to eat the same thing also.my hillbilly husband from Baltimore.maryland lol.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/03 18:30:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by emsmom

I like to fry my bologna until it is browned and then put it on whte bread with yellow mustard and a slice on onion. Good

I think you knew my father... thats the way he ate them and turned my brother and I on to that!
Yum is right...
( makes me want to go buy some and make one)
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4317
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/03 20:21:07 (permalink)
Don't know if this has been discussed in this topic but, a buddy of mine with a barbecue joint in Oklahoma tells me that barbecued balogna is extremely popular in his neck of the woods (Skiatook). He says the large Lebanese population there introduced the delicacy to the locals. In fact, he claims, when he wants a little something to eat, he'll opt for a balogna sandwich before he'll dig into a slab or even brisket or pulled pork!

He says you smoke a whole balogna till the outer skin is charcoal black. You then skin it and slice into 1" slabs on a bun and it's fantastic. While I cannot claim personal experience with this sandwich, my friend is a three time competitor and sometimes winner at the American Royal Invitational Barbecue Cookoff, so I guess he knows what he's talking about.

Anybody out there ever had a barbecued balogna sandwich?
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/03 21:39:04 (permalink)
When we go to the King Biscuit Blues Festival (Arkansas Heritage now), I'll have two BBQ Bologna Sandiwichs for every chopped pork BBQ sammy. I have hot sauce and slaw added to mine.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/04 00:07:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

Don't know if this has been discussed in this topic but, a buddy of mine with a barbecue joint in Oklahoma tells me that barbecued balogna is extremely popular in his neck of the woods (Skiatook). He says the large Lebanese population there introduced the delicacy to the locals. In fact, he claims, when he wants a little something to eat, he'll opt for a balogna sandwich before he'll dig into a slab or even brisket or pulled pork!

He says you smoke a whole balogna till the outer skin is charcoal black. You then skin it and slice into 1" slabs on a bun and it's fantastic. While I cannot claim personal experience with this sandwich, my friend is a three time competitor and sometimes winner at the American Royal Invitational Barbecue Cookoff, so I guess he knows what he's talking about.

Anybody out there ever had a barbecued balogna sandwich?

It sounds good!
marvantis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/16 20:22:11 (permalink)
I cant be with in a city block of Bologna frying. It is the most repulsive smell I have ever encountered!
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/17 00:42:08 (permalink)
Has anyone previously divulged in this forum which bologna that tavern in Waldo, Ohio, uses for their World Famous Fried Bologna sandwiches?
jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/17 08:01:38 (permalink)
I have noticed that you cant find a roll of boloney in the supermarkets anymore,I would love to put them on my lunch special cause Ive got that type of lunch crowd.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/17 11:41:39 (permalink)
A step up from the hot baloney sandwich is the German laberkasse (a slightly liverish tasting first cousin to baloney) warmed,not browned, in a skillet and seved with a bit of mustard on rye or pumpernikel bread.

BTW: I've never seen a baloney sandwich on any menu here in the Hudson Valley.

Cheers, John
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18944
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/17 12:01:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Has anyone previously divulged in this forum which bologna that tavern in Waldo, Ohio, uses for their World Famous Fried Bologna sandwiches?

They have theirs made for them. It's not a commercial brand.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/17 12:03:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jellybear

I have noticed that you cant find a roll of boloney in the supermarkets anymore,I would love to put them on my lunch special cause Ive got that type of lunch crowd.

They're in all the supermarkets here in Central Ohio.
acoustic blues
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/17 12:41:54 (permalink)
Yep, add me for loving fried bologna sammiches. My brothers and I grew up with them. My mom would pan fry thin sliced bologna in butter and slap it on white bread. I of course had to add mayo to mine.
Heart attack special.

ab
ScreenBear
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/17 12:48:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

They have theirs made for them. It's not a commercial brand.

In such case, I guess I'll just have the deli slice me a piece of standard Boar's Head bologna, about 3/8 inch thick.
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/18 18:34:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by acoustic blues

Yep, add me for loving fried bologna sammiches. My brothers and I grew up with them. My mom would pan fry thin sliced bologna in butter and slap it on white bread. I of course had to add mayo to mine.
Heart attack special.

ab

It is interesting that you referred to the "Heart Attack Special". I have to assume that you are aware of the astronomically high fat content of most bolognas.

For years, our faculty cafeteria featured fried bologna & cheese sandwiches as one of the offerings. This was a really polarizing menu item, as the male physical education teachers were the only consumers of them, and everyone else avoided these high-fat specials in favor of the tuna subs, cabbage & noodles, lentil soup, and other home-made specials that were prepared only for the faculty and staff.

Over a period of about 10 years, every single one of those male phys. ed. teachers had to have bypass surgery, and several are now dead from their first, second or third heart attack. The bulk of the faculty who avoided the fried bologna & cheese sandwiches are still alive and healthy. While this is certainly not a scientific study, the results of consuming certain items in that cafeteria were very obvious to anyone who observed the goings-on.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/18 19:24:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

quote:

Heart attack special.

ab

It is interesting that you referred to the "Heart Attack Special". I have to assume that you are aware of the astronomically high fat content of most bolognas.

For years, our faculty cafeteria featured fried bologna & cheese sandwiches as one of the offerings. This was a really polarizing menu item, as the male physical education teachers were the only consumers of them, and everyone else avoided these high-fat specials in favor of the tuna subs, cabbage & noodles, lentil soup, and other home-made specials that were prepared only for the faculty and staff.

Over a period of about 10 years, every single one of those male phys. ed. teachers had to have bypass surgery, and several are now dead from their first, second or third heart attack. The bulk of the faculty who avoided the fried bologna & cheese sandwiches are still alive and healthy. While this is certainly not a scientific study, the results of consuming certain items in that cafeteria were very obvious to anyone who observed the goings-on.

Well, what should one expect from stupid phys ed teachers? For that matter, what should one expect from teachers willing to eat tuna subs and cabbage and noodles? I'll take the fried bologna and health problems over tuna subs and cabbage and noodles any day.
Tedbear
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/18 19:56:06 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

quote:

Heart attack special.

ab

Well, what should one expect from stupid phys ed teachers? For that matter, what should one expect from teachers willing to eat tuna subs and cabbage and noodles? I'll take the fried bologna and health problems over tuna subs and cabbage and noodles any day.

Well, although I disagree with your choices, at least you are helping to make all of my pharmaceutical and health-care investments even more lucrative. I should thank you for that.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/18 20:10:48 (permalink)
Sorry to disappoint. I'm extremely heart healthy, with cholesterol levels that could put pharmaceutical companies investing in cholesterol lowering drugs out of business.
Tedbear
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/19 10:26:23 (permalink)
quote:

Sorry to disappoint. I'm extremely heart healthy, with cholesterol levels that could put pharmaceutical companies investing in cholesterol lowering drugs out of business.

No, I am not disappointed, as I would never wish poor health on anyone. However, most of the people who eat diets high in animal fat are not as fortunate as you are. And those dietary choices (coupled with their genetics and their life-style) are the driving forces in the astronomical numbers of people who suffer from cardiovascular diseases and from cancers like colon cancer, breast cancer, and prostate cancer (the cancers that have been directly correlated to high intake of animal fats).

While I do not wish poor health on anyone, I am aware of the investments that make their money from health care, and I have invested in them--to my benefit. Everyone makes choices in life, and dietary decisions and investment options are two of those choices. I guess that is one of the nice things about living in a democracy--you get to make your own decisions. You just have to be willing to accept the likely outcomes, be they good or bad.
ScreenBear
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2005/11/19 17:56:00 (permalink)
Est Modus in Rebus

That is, there is a mean to all things. Certainly, those Phys Ed teachers brought their cavalier eating habits with them to school.

Doubtless, they ate just as incautiously at home, and at greasy spoons, and probably everywhere else. However, eat generally well, exercise regularly and you can treat yourself to probably many more "verboten" treats than you think.

Or at least I hope so. Because I'm counting on eating some breaded fried chicken livers if I ever get out to that Moonlight Barbecue
place our mayor is touting.

The Bear

PS--Talking about foods that are "bad" for you, I'm told there's a group of restaurants around Notre Dame in Paris that specialize in organ meats. Does anyone know any specifics?
micked1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Hot Baloney Sandwiches 2006/07/28 12:04:12 (permalink)
quote:

When Mark DeCarlo visited them for the Travel Channel, the owners of the G&R said that they have the bologna made just for them. As a former butchers helper, I noticed that the meat had a rough chop rather than the fine chop of OM. They cut it about 3/4 of an inch thick before frying.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1