Hot Dog Cart in parking lots, etc. Need Info!

Author
Marine0302
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
2007/01/14 13:51:49 (permalink)

Hot Dog Cart in parking lots, etc. Need Info!

Hi, my name is Mike. I am a retired U.S. Marine and I am interested in starting a hot dog cart business with my brother. I have lurked on these forums for a good while and am very impressed with the amount of knowledge that people share with others.

I do have a few questions that I am sure some here can answer.

1. How does one go about getting permission to set up a hot dog cart in the parking lot of a mall, a supermarket, outside a convenience store, etc? Obviously, the first step is to ask permission, but from who - the store manager or the person who actually owns the property?

2. What are typical arrangements for compensation to the landowner- a daily/weekly/monthly fee or a percentage of revenue?

3. I often see carts, vegetable trucks, Christmas tree merchants, etc., that operate from property off the side of the road (open fields, etc). In these cases, it looks like they simply found a spot and set up for the day. I doubt if they are paying rent or other compensation to the landowner. Does this present a problem with the law? Obviously, if the owner comes about and tells you to move along, you have to do so, but aside from that will the police cite someone who does this?

4. Without asking anyone to disclose personal information, is there any way I can find out the average profitablity for a hot dog cart that operates 5-6 days a week? My brother would be running the cart full time and is free to work whatever hours necessary to optimize revenue.

5. We are considering setting up in several locations. We intend to do a "traffic study" of each, noting the number of cars that pass by the location at specific timesof the day, etc. Does similar info exist that I can obtain? Obviously, I am in the Tampa, Florida area and there are some circumstances that are specific to the locations were are considering, but I am wondering if a source of universal info/data on this topic exists?

That's all I can think of for now. I thank you in advance for your help!

Semper Fi, Mike

4 Replies Related Threads

genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Hot Dog Cart in parking lots, etc. Need Info! 2007/01/14 20:27:50 (permalink)
    mike: if u have been following the forum, the answers to u'r questions are there just look carefully..
    Marine0302
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot Dog Cart in parking lots, etc. Need Info! 2007/01/18 12:48:29 (permalink)
    genewj,
    You're right. I went through a lot of threads and found the answers and much more info.

I notice that you are in Bradenton. I am in Tampa.

Would you consider letting a couple of novices come and observe your operation for part of a day and ask you some questions related to starting our own cart?

We'd be willing to help out that day, take you to dinner or any other form of compensation you desire for passing on your advice and "best practices".

Semper Fi, Mike
    wingdingman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Hot Dog Cart in parking lots, etc. Need Info! 2007/01/22 20:02:38 (permalink)
    hey mike i used to have hot dog cats just outside tampa and in columbus ohio . if you want to talk call me

robert
    614-851-0929
    Marine0302
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot Dog Cart in parking lots, etc. Need Info! 2007/01/22 21:24:50 (permalink)
    Thanks Robert.

I'll call you soon!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1