Hot Dog Chili Sauce

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
jbs780
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 43
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/12 17:46:51 (permalink)

Ever had the chili that comes in a roll...like breakfast sausage...and usually in the same grocery display case?  In my experience, that is the best chili...or chili like that...for hot dogs.  Usually no beans, finely ground meat, not soupy unless you make it so, so the bun doesn't got soggy as someone was correctly concerned about, good chili flavor without overpowering the dog.  Can't think of a specific brand.  Try one of those like that though. 
post edited by jbs780 - 2009/03/12 17:48:21
TnGuy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/12 18:00:34 (permalink)
Cincinnati Chili - serves 6-8  (from an 'America's Test Kitchen' recipe)

1 tbls vegetable oil
2 medium onions
1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 tsp)
2 tbls tomato paste
2 tbls chili powder
1 tbls dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Table salt
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground allspice
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups canned tomato sauce (do not use jarred spaghetti sauce)
2 tbls cider vinegar
2 tsp dark brown sugar
1 1/2 lbs. 85 percent lean ground beef

1.) Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook onions until soft and browned around the edges, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, oregano cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and allspice and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, tomato sauce, vinegar, and sugar.

2.) Add beef and stir to break up meat (to break it up finely, on the TV program they use a potato masher). Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chili is deep brown and slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt. (Chili can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months.)

Though this recipe is a take on "Cincinnati Chili", it could be considered a generic for New Jersey's "Texas Weiner" chili. Or even more appropriately: a generic for a basic Greek immigrant-style chili sauce.

TnGuy
post edited by TnGuy - 2009/03/12 18:03:45
ptireland
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 263
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/12 22:16:32 (permalink)
I went to Jack in the Box today and got a fajita pita with fries and a coke.  It cost me $8.50.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10074
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/12 23:23:19 (permalink)
ptireland

I went to Jack in the Box today and got a fajita pita with fries and a coke.  It cost me $8.50.

What's that got to do with the topic??
ptireland
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/12 23:51:57 (permalink)
If it costs me $8.50 for a stinking fajita pita, fries and a coke, I can EASILY get $5 for 2 dogs, chips, and a coke.  That's better food, and more of it, for a lower price.  That's what it has to do with the topic.  I'm responding to someone who said $5 was expensive for that stuff.
jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1135
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/13 08:02:45 (permalink)
I wouldn't pay five bucks for two Hot Dogs,chips and a drink.I can get two Hot Dogs and a drink here for 2.25
What I look for in a Hot Dog is a good Smooth, beefy sauce like you get in Rhode Island. Hold the Heartburn please.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/14 04:20:15 (permalink)
Price is related to location. What may be considered reasonable in CA is not reasonable in NC. A Million dollar house in CA sells for $450K in Phoenix Metro, with the exception of Paradise Valley & Scottsdale. That's why all you disgruntled CA people are coming over here!
ptireland
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/14 12:30:18 (permalink)
I don't think you could pay me to live in Phoenix or Scottsdale.  I think people move there because hell isn't hot enough for them.  ;)

By the way, if you're getting a lot of LA people moving there, you should be glad.  You're getting good looking and healthy people with great attitudes who actually know how to drive.  Though I saw a lot of good looking girls in Scottsdale when I was there a couple of years ago for the Barrett-Jackson auto auction.

I must say, I really liked the Fairmont hotel there. 
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/28 12:40:59 (permalink)
I want my hot dog chili to taste just like the chili that the Roxalana Elementary School PTA moms made in the 1950's.  Every friday the moms would make hotdogs to sell at lunch.  We did not have a lunch room so in the morning  the moms would setup a folding table, bring in a turkey roaster to make the chili.  By the time lunch came all the students were so hungry, I could have eaten a dozen or those hot dogs.

My mom's recipe for chili is very good, but it still doesn't compare to that turkey roaster chili.
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 507
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/28 13:05:04 (permalink)
Clara, what did it taste like...was it beef and ketchup with
a little spice?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/28 14:53:52 (permalink)
ptireland

I don't think you could pay me to live in Phoenix or Scottsdale.  I think people move there because hell isn't hot enough for them.  ;)

By the way, if you're getting a lot of LA people moving there, you should be glad.  You're getting good looking and healthy people with great attitudes who actually know how to drive.  Though I saw a lot of good looking girls in Scottsdale when I was there a couple of years ago for the Barrett-Jackson auto auction.

I must say, I really liked the Fairmont hotel there. 

If your attitude is a reflection of those "Great CA Attitudes" please stay right where you are! I'd rather be a little warm than watch my overpriced house slide down a hill in a mudslide or burn up in a wildfire while I'm sitting for hours on a concrete slab called a freeway! BTW, breathing smog all day long is not creating "Healthy" people.
Besides you contradict yourself. You like our good looking women, you like our nice hotels, you like our cars, we're lovely people and enjoy the lifestyle benefits of a nice cost of living environment.
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/29 13:19:58 (permalink)
Captain,

It has been over 40 years since I tasted PTA mom chili but based on my mom's hot dog chili the ingredients were:
ground beef, onions, tomato sauce, chili power, salt, pepper.

I know it did not contain catsup, my mother never cooked with catsup, it was a condiment only.  She used homemade chili sauce in her baked beans, I still use chili sacue in my baked beans today.

In my experience West Virginians do not like their hot dog chili to be too spicy, just a little taste of the chili powder.  Aso, texture is very important,  the chili must be smooth, no big chunks of bround ground beef.

I wonder if anyone has any idea when chili was first added to hot dogs.  I am 62 & I cannot remember not having both chili & slaw on hotdogs.  One of my first memories is a "weiner roast" at my grandparents farm  & that must have been in the early 1050's.  My grandmother had a small iron pot that she made her hotdog chili in, I can remember her carrying the to the part of the farm where we always had "weiner roasts".
WVCitySlicker
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/29 15:00:40 (permalink)
Hi claracamille,

I live in Charleston, WV - Kanawha City in a neighborhood called South Park, I went to South Park Elementary in the 60's, I don't remember having parents from the PTA selling anything in the school.  We had wonderful cooks who put a lot of love in the meals they fixed for the kids, everything homemade, nothing prepackaged/precooked back then.  They made the best macaroni and cheese, spanish rice, birds nests, etc... and if anything was left over after everyone was served we could stop by the kitchen and get seconds before we went to the playground..........those were the days.
post edited by WVCitySlicker - 2009/03/30 01:32:12
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 507
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/03/29 15:08:00 (permalink)
Clara, a very informative answer, thank you very much.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 136
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2009/12/06 18:04:19 (permalink)
Foodbme

Ho Ho's Texas Hot - Wiener Sauce
8 cups water Less if you like it thicker
12 to 16 oz finely ground hotdogs (I prefer Hebrew National skinless all beef)
1/2 cup cornstarch (dissolved in a little cold water)
1 tbls paprika
1 tbls chili powder
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tsp sea or kosher salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
a few grinds of fresh black pepper

Bring everything to a boil, except the cornstarch.
Let simmer for 30 minutes, then slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly. Bring back to a boil, and keep stirring.
Taste along the way, adjusting the salt or pepper as you like it.
Serve on your favorite hotdog, with brown mustard, diced onion, in a steamed hotdog bun. This sauce will be thin, it is supposed to be, it is not a "chili dog" recipe. The sauce will thicken as it cools. It freezes well.
Note; Each time you reheat the sauce, it will get thicker

WHOA WHOA here!!! This is my Texas Hot Wiener recipe that I posted on this forum a while back.
Who the heck is Ho Ho? The text here is verbatim to my posting which starts at post #18
http://www.roadfood.com/F...xas-Lunch-m211808.aspx

Schmelly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 00:10:53 (permalink)
tdj_tx

Foodbme

1 tbls paprika
1 tbls chili powder
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tsp sea or kosher salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Let simmer for 30 minutes, then slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly. Bring back to a boil, and keep stirring.
Serve on your favorite hotdog, with brown mustard, diced onion, in a steamed hotdog bun. This sauce will be thin, it is supposed to be, it is not a "chili dog" recipe. The sauce will thicken as it cools. It freezes well.

WHOA WHOA here!!! This is my Texas Hot Wiener recipe that I posted on this forum a while back.
Who the heck is Ho Ho? The text here is verbatim to my posting which starts at post #18

OWNED BY HOHO !!! LOL
post edited by Schmelly - 2011/04/05 00:12:02
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 00:40:28 (permalink)
Schmelly

tdj_tx

Foodbme

1 tbls paprika
1 tbls chili powder
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tsp sea or kosher salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon

OWNED BY HOHO !!! LOL

Not owned by HoHo! This is my recipe that I worked on for years. I posted it for others to enjoy not steal. They didn't even change any of my text or comments.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 03:21:43 (permalink)
tdj_tx,
My sincere apologies! I have an extensive collection of Recipes on my computer (700+) and a while back, I was re-working my files, re-organizing, re-classifying, eliminating duplicates and doing some cutting and pasting. Apparently I must have somehow switched titles on your recipe with another one I had. When it comes to computer skills, I'm roaring into the 19th Century.
If you look back deeper on Roadfood you will find a number of Posts on similar threads for Hot Dog Sauces where I have posted your recipe or the link that reverts back to your original post and I have given you full credit for your recipe.
Here's one example:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=543875&high=Weiner+Sauce 
Post #11.
 It is THE BEST Hot Dog Sauce I've ever tasted, bar none. 
Again, please accept My Sincere Apology.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 04:16:07 (permalink)
Now that is why I love this forum. Foodbme realized his mistake-which was actually just a technical error, loves the recipe, and owns up to it.And now I will try this recipe based on the ingredients from you, tdj_tx, and my friend foodbme's suggestion.Life is good!

Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 04:26:57 (permalink)
annpeeples

Now that is why I love this forum. Foodbme realized his mistake-which was actually just a technical error, loves the recipe, and owns up to it.And now I will try this recipe based on the ingredients from you, tdj_tx, and my friend foodbme's suggestion.Life is good!

Thanx Ann! I felt really badly when I saw what happened.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 04:32:43 (permalink)
You know, my friend, you have excellent input to this site, and I trust your input, most of the time
Just kidding...
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 04:37:09 (permalink)
annpeeples

You know, my friend, you have excellent input to this site, and I trust your input, most of the time
Just kidding...

I trust my input MOST of the time too!

What are you doing up so late? It's 1:30 AM out here now!
MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 07:33:17 (permalink)
Hey, now that I think of it, wonder what ever happened to Captain Morgan?  I haven't seen him here in forever.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 09:14:14 (permalink)
I'm thinking of opening a stand selling cardboard tubes, about the size of an oatmeal container, of prepared Hamburger Helper, and calling it Gruel. $2 a container. Slogan: "Enough to keep you alive and a contributing member of society for a day, or your money back."

The Bear
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 11:20:59 (permalink)
Foodbme

tdj_tx,
My sincere apologies! I have an extensive collection of Recipes on my computer (700+) and a while back, I was re-working my files, re-organizing, re-classifying, eliminating duplicates and doing some cutting and pasting. Apparently I must have somehow switched titles on your recipe with another one I had. When it comes to computer skills, I'm roaring into the 19th Century.
If you look back deeper on Roadfood you will find a number of Posts on similar threads for Hot Dog Sauces where I have posted your recipe or the link that reverts back to your original post and I have given you full credit for your recipe.
Here's one example:
Post #11.

No problem, easy mistake.  Apology accepted
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 11:23:43 (permalink)
annpeeples

I totally agree, I love this forum as well. Lots of good folks here.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 15:13:12 (permalink)
tdj_tx

Foodbme

tdj_tx,
Here's one example:
Post #11.

Thank You, tdj_tx. That makes me feel much better! When I hit the lottery this week or next, I'm coming down to Leander, TX and I'm going to set you up with your own company to bottle this stuff. Start thinking of a name for it! How 'bout "Texas Weenie Wonder Sauce", "Slap Your Weenie Hot Dog Sauce" "Wonderful Weenie Sauce" "Tom's Terrific Hot Dog Fixin's"
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 15:19:04 (permalink)
Foodbme

tdj_tx

Foodbme

tdj_tx,
Here's one example:
Post #11.

Thank You, tdj_tx. That makes me feel much better! When I hit the lottery this week or next, I'm coming down to Leander, TX and I'm going to set you up with your own company to bottle this stuff. Start thinking of a name for it! How 'bout "Texas Weenie Wonder Sauce", "Slap Your Weenie Hot Dog Sauce" "Wonderful Weenie Sauce" "Tom's Terrific Hot Dog Fixin's"

You are more than welcome to visit, I'll keep my fingers crossed on the lottery win :-) I actually looked into creating a Hot Wiener kit with the dry ingredients and instructions. All you have to do is add the ground hotdogs and water. Turns out it's a lot more money and hassle than I would like to deal with. 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 15:50:53 (permalink)
tdj_tx

Foodbme

tdj_tx

Foodbme

tdj_tx,
Here's one example:
Post #11.

You are more than welcome to visit, I'll keep my fingers crossed on the lottery win :-) I actually looked into creating a Hot Wiener kit with the dry ingredients and instructions. All you have to do is add the ground hotdogs and water. Turns out it's a lot more money and hassle than I would like to deal with. 

No Problem---I'll supply the money and we'll hire people to handle the "Hassle". Being the Marketing Genius that I am, I already have our Marketing Strategy mapped out in my head. Just hope I don't loose it!. I can't remember what I had for breakfast!
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Chili Sauce 2011/04/05 16:00:42 (permalink)
Foodbme
No Problem---I'll supply the money and we'll hire people to handle the "Hassle". Being the Marketing Genius that I am, I already have our Marketing Strategy mapped out in my head. Just hope I don't loose it!. I can't remember what I had for breakfast!

Actually you can to hire a company that is certified to package food items. I talked to a local spice company who provide this service. You have to provide the recipe and label information and the minimum order is something like 20,000 units. Then you have to deal with pricing and distribution.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1