Hot Dog Cookers

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2010/04/25 19:40:33 (permalink)

Hot Dog Cookers

We've made some purchases recently of small kitchen appliances among them a small, 10lb fryer,hot dog cooker,and hot lights.

The hot dog cooker turned out to be one that we couldn't seem to agree on. To many of us, the best tasting hot dog was done different ways. For some of us, the old, spike type rotary broilers with the bun warmer was what we recalled as the best. Others favored the roller type. There's now the basket rotiesseries and other kinds of novel cookers. Sure there's the pot of hot water or split on a griddle and G-d forbid using a microwave, but we ended up going with the roller type which seems to be the favored appliance nowadays. The spike type seems to be rare now and around $700 for a new unit but used to be very common at concession stands and lunch counters. What do many of you consider the best way of cooking a dog for the best flavor?

When I was in college, a very popular method was electrocution. Everything from two forks connected to a opposite ends of an electric cord to units that worked on the same pricipal and took several dogs between spikes on the ends. They made a great tasting dorm room hot dog. You don't see those anymore, but every houseware section had a selection of several different units along with those burger press cookers. Another great device that vanished.  My kids preferred their hot dogs split and done in a cast iron pan. Lot of work for 3 or 4 hot dogs. My dad favors the microwave. All the places that I worked for during college used the roller types. Any other preferences besides hot water?

Deep fry is another story which leads to corn dogs. Don't want to touch that one

14 Replies Related Threads

ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/04/25 21:29:16 (permalink)
    Drop dog in boiling water.
    Shut off flame.
     Cover.
    Simmer for three minutes. 
    Remove and put on charcoal grill until it looks good to you. 
     Eat. 
     Repeat.

The Bear

David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/04/25 22:12:21 (permalink)
    For Sabrett and Nathan's Natural Casing franks, I use an old Farberware stainless steel electric fry pan (made in the Bronx) set to about 200 degrees Farenheit. I leave them in there about an hour. Basically, that is what happens at Coney Island.

For those who liked the old dangerous-as-hell Presto Hot Dogger (it connected the 110 VAC out of the wall right to the pins you impaled the hot dog on), there are usually a few for sale on ebay at any given time.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/04/26 07:19:09 (permalink)
    I forgot about the Presto hot dog electrocutioners.

My favorite way to cook them is on a charcoal grill.
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/04/26 10:00:31 (permalink)
    Definitely grilled!!!
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/04/26 10:56:02 (permalink)
    Never knew that about the Presto's. My ex bought one of the Salton's around '78. That one had an interlock switch disconnecting the line from the spikes until the lid was closed. 

Actually my favorite way to do them used to be dropping them in hot water as above and then finishing them impaled on a fork with one of the gas burners set high. Sure miss gas, wish we could have it here.
    DougS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 475
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/04/26 21:30:55 (permalink)
    I been getting good results boiling up a few and then into a cast iron fry pan with a little splash of olive oil to grill them in. Trying different varieties to avoid splitting.
    ChrisOC
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 970
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/04/26 21:41:00 (permalink)
    I remember electrocuted hot dogs.  We built one of those cookers in jr high back in the 50's.  They worked great.  On the down side it was very easy to kill yourself!
    cjucoder
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 170
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/04/27 10:51:49 (permalink)
    If I can't/too lazy to use a charcoal grill outside, my next favorite way is to grill them on my cast-iron grill pan. You still get the nummy grill marks if you crank the heat, that's the key.

This is mine. I LOVE it and use it for a lot of things (steaks, chicken, fish, veggies etc). You do get a lot of smoke in the kitchen (because fat drips in between the grates and smokes because the pan is on high heat), so open windows, but that smoke adds to the flavor of the food.
    post edited by cjucoder - 2010/04/27 10:54:51
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1269
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/05/03 00:31:05 (permalink)
    Absolute best is on a cast iron hibachi. I used to have a sonofhibachi grill (you can find them on ebay), which I bought at Macy's for $15 on sale (my then-teenage kids used it, didn't follow the directions, and ruined it by putting it out with a hose and letting it sit wet. They're about half a decade from having their own teenagers, heh heh...).

One hint of making the most of the microwave: take a half of a paper towel (or one "select a size" piece). Orient the paper to match the hot dog. Put the hot dog on the top, fold over the sides, and roll it up. Microwave for about 30-45 seconds (you'll get the hang of it). The outside gets a bit browned, and no explosion.

In the real world, I prefer my cast iron frying pan.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/05/03 00:44:33 (permalink)
    George Foreman. You can cook like 4-5 at once & they have those cute grill marks on them & everyone eats at the same time. Best babysitter ever, that's me!

You can also make Mickey Mouse Pancakes on there, but then it looks like Mickey was in jail & you can only do one at a time.
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/05/03 09:20:37 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

I forgot about the Presto hot dog electrocutioners.

My favorite way to cook them is on a charcoal grill.

In College I would take two forks and wrap one side of an exposed electric cord to each and then stick them into each end of the Hot Dog and then drape it over something and plug it in. Works the same as the presto contraption. Just alot more dangerous...Russ
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/05/03 09:57:38 (permalink)
    stricken_detective

George Foreman. You can cook like 4-5 at once & they have those cute grill marks on them & everyone eats at the same time.

I have a couple of the older Foreman grills (non-adjustable temperature) and they've always done a good job on hot dogs.  Since they don't get screamingly hot the dogs cook fairly evenly.

You can also make Mickey Mouse Pancakes on there, but then it looks like Mickey was in jail & you can only do one at a time.

Consider how much money Mickey and his cronies have extracted from parents over the years some might consider that the perfect place for him...

Brad
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/05/03 12:59:42 (permalink)
    Russ Jackson 
    In College I would take two forks and wrap one side of an exposed electric cord to each and then stick them into each end of the Hot Dog and then drape it over something and plug it in. Works the same as the presto contraption. Just alot more dangerous...Russ

We used to call those assemblies "suicide cords".
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    Re:Hot Dog Cookers 2010/05/03 13:43:18 (permalink)
    We had one of those Presto gadgets years ago--picked it up for a couple of bucks at a rummage sale. Used it a time or two, then threw it out. The hot dogs seemed to have an odd texture: almost jelly-like. We didn't like that at all. We finally figured out why: we lived in a state that executed by electrocution, and we couldn't get past the image of some guy's innards being turned to jelly. We're not normally squeamish, but that just about did us in.

Now we toss them in a skillet (All-Clad, stainless or non-stick) with a little oil on low heat and pretty much ignore them for maybe 20 minutes, roll them over a time or two, and eat them. How? Bun, mustard, chopped raw onions; grated cheddar if we have any handy.

post edited by Rick F. - 2010/05/03 13:44:44
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1