Helpful ReplyHot Dog Cooking Methods

Author
wabidog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2013/03/10 23:19:03 (permalink)

Hot Dog Cooking Methods

Hello,
I'm new to the Roadfood site and new to the vending business (just getting a truck going).  So many of my stupid newbie questions have been answered on these threads. Thank you for that.  It seems, however, that the stupid newbie question list is endless.  So, here's one for y'all.  I want to serve grilled dogs and sausages. I trying to figure out the best way to do so QUICKLY.  I am thinking of using a table-top steamer to get the dogs up to temp and then tossing them onto the griddle as ordered.  Is this a workable option? If not, what have you pros found to work best?  If this question is answered elsewhere, please forgive me and direct me to that thread.  Thanks for your help.

Tristan225
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 352
Re:Hot Dog Cooking Methods 2013/03/10 23:55:17 (permalink)
You could bring them up to temp. quickly on the griddle then transfer them to the cooler side to keep them warm. If you have a coney restaurant in town go look at how they do it.
djdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 439
Re:Hot Dog Cooking Methods 2013/03/11 00:05:18 (permalink)
wabidog....what I know is not from experience but what I have heard.  Can I ask if you are dead set on grilling as part of your process?

The reason I ask is when I was first looking at all cooking options, I was insisting that I was going to grill.  The more I looked into it and saw all sides of it, the more I realized that it wasn't the best option for me.  Grilling dries out dogs quickly (from what I've been told) and def takes extra time.  Grilling the way that you're describing (at the end, after heating them up dirty dog style) is mostly for show I guess but it just seemed uneccessary to me.  The other challenge for me is that I have a small cart not a truck so the extra room was part of my decision but if you have an actual inclosed truck then it could be a good thing for you....all that probably doesn't help but that's what I know.
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1315
Re:Hot Dog Cooking Methods 2013/03/11 11:31:44 (permalink)
There is an old Boy Scout project that was a cooking gadget for a while; just looked it up (it's a bit more obscure than I would have thought): the Presto Hot Dogger. Puts an electric current through the hotdogs; can cook 6 hot dogs in a minute. Don't know if it is the least bit useful, but it IS fast.

Bart
kennyb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 400
Re:Hot Dog Cooking Methods 2013/03/11 18:44:48 (permalink)
bartl

There is an old Boy Scout project that was a cooking gadget for a while; just looked it up (it's a bit more obscure than I would have thought): the Presto Hot Dogger. Puts an electric current through the hotdogs; can cook 6 hot dogs in a minute. Don't know if it is the least bit useful, but it IS fast.

Bart

had one of those as a kid. we used it all the time.
zumguteetz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 171
Re:Hot Dog Cooking Methods 2013/03/11 22:23:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
As I have stated before, it really depends on which type/what brand of dog you're using. A natural casing like Vienna or Sabrett really take to simmering while the Nathan's prefers to be grilled. I have always checked with the manufacturer for their suggested method of preparation. Also, some dogs hold up better on the cooler side of the grill while others do better kept at temp in a steam pan.
staszman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Hot Dog Cooking Methods 2013/04/03 19:37:28 (permalink)
I put false bottoms in a half pan, put in about 2 inches of water and lay in the all beef dogs. They steam up reeeeal nice. 
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1