Hot Dog Day Afternoon

Author
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
2014/08/13 14:27:02 (permalink)

Hot Dog Day Afternoon

To treat myself after donating blood, I went to the two 'old-time' hot dog shops in downtown Hanover, Pa:

Famous Hot Weiner and Texas Hot Weiner Lunch.

I started out at Famous Hot Weiner (the downtown location is the oldest of their three) and had a 'Famous Weiner' which is chili, mustard and a small mountain of onions. I can't eat raw onions so it was just chili and mustard.

They use Kunzler's Texas Weiners which are a 5/1 casing dog that is a mix of pork and beef.  The split the dogs length-wise and then cross-cut them and grill them on a flat top.

The rolls come from Terranetti's Bakery in Chambersburg, Pa, and you KNOW they are good because they are baked with lard.

http://www.socialgrocery.com/products/Terranettis-Italian-Bakery/Rolls-Hamburger-or-Hot-Dog

Famous Hot Weiner has been around since 1923. 

The location near the Mall has a much longer counter than the downtown location and the Mall location also serves Hershey's ice cream.   After the excellent 'Famous Weiner', it was off to Texas Hot Weiner Lunch, which is no more than a two minute walk away.

Texas Hot Weiner Lunch also uses the 5/1 Kunzler Texas Weiners and the Terranetti rolls.  I like the chili sauce a little more at Texas Hot Weiner Lunch, plus the counter guy balances 4 or 5 dogs on his arm to dress them (didn't get a picture )

The dogs are split, scored and grilled just like at Famous Hot Weiner.  I again declined the small mountain of onions.

They have been around since 1925, and I think this is my favorite place in Hanover.

Front of menu:

Back of menu:

Interior pictures:

If you're ever in or near Hanover, or even Gettysburg, a trip to these two gems is worth the drive.

11 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6321
    Re: Hot Dog Day Afternoon 2014/08/13 14:33:12 (permalink)
    Looks like a cool place...and the dogs look fine!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5167
    Re: Hot Dog Day Afternoon 2014/08/13 19:40:37 (permalink)
    After seeing the title I was relieved to read that you weren't robbing hot dog joints to pay for a sex-change operation.

Why do you prefer Texas Hot's sauce to Famous Hot's?  Is it a flavor thing or more along spiciness lines?  I've never had either so I'm curious as to what they taste like.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Hot Dog Day Afternoon 2014/08/14 06:47:51 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    After seeing the title I was relieved to read that you weren't robbing hot dog joints to pay for a sex-change operation.

Why do you prefer Texas Hot's sauce to Famous Hot's?  Is it a flavor thing or more along spiciness lines?  I've never had either so I'm curious as to what they taste like.

While both are similar, I think 'Texas' has a bit more flavor than 'Famous' and it's also just a bit thicker. Neither one is particularly spicy.

Though it's been many years since I've been, I recall the same thing with Lafayete and American Coney in Detroit.  I liked one more than the other, but not by a great deal. Like Rick in Casablanca, "that's so long ago, I don't remember" which one I preferred.

yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    Re: Hot Dog Day Afternoon 2014/08/14 23:25:33 (permalink)
    Looks awesome. I remember in the 80's they used to balance hot dogs down their arm, but I guess health codes won't allow that any more.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Hot Dog Day Afternoon 2014/08/15 09:33:28 (permalink)
    yuppicide
    Looks awesome. I remember in the 80's they used to balance hot dogs down their arm, but I guess health codes won't allow that any more.

No, the guy did do it.

From my original post:

..... at Texas Hot Weiner Lunch, plus the counter guy balances 4 or 5 dogs on his arm to dress them (didn't get a picture )
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8115
    Re: Hot Dog Day Afternoon 2014/08/15 20:39:16 (permalink)
    Thank you for donating blood.  I tried for the first time in February.  They denied my blood!

Those chili dogs look perfect and I'm a maven.

iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 492
    Re: Hot Dog Day Afternoon 2014/08/15 22:08:14 (permalink)
    mar52
    Thank you for donating blood.  I tried for the first time in February.  They denied my blood!

Those chili dogs look perfect and I'm a maven.

Denied your blood??  Probably too much Lox in your system. 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8115
    Re: Hot Dog Day Afternoon 2014/08/16 12:02:18 (permalink)
    Plenty of lox, not enough iron.  Donating could kill me oddly enough.

I now want a chili dog and my pickings here are slim. 
    Choices are Sonic and Mooyah's and I'm not sure Mooyah's offers chili.
    iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 492
    Re: Hot Dog Day Afternoon 2014/08/16 12:06:29 (permalink)
    Make your own chili dogs!  A can of Hormel chili, a nice Hot dog (your choice of brand) some cut up onions and a bit of mustard should you choose to use and you are good to go!
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1745
    Re: Hot Dog Day Afternoon 2014/08/23 19:18:43 (permalink)
    Nice report and looks like a lovely meal from both places........but I wonder......When I see pics like this, can one even taste the dog?  Or does that become ancillary to the total experience?  My first time thru a place I'll get a dog "plain" just to see the snap and quality of the meat and roll. If I like it, I might be tempted to add a "bit" of the featured goodies to see, but often I find the dog all but lost in the condiments.  A lil onion......or a lil sauce perks up the dog; a lot just seems to overtake.

Maybe it's just me, but like folks who want their burgers "plain" I wanna taste the main thing I'm buying.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Hot Dog Day Afternoon 2014/08/25 06:56:03 (permalink)
    FriedClamFanatic
    Nice report and looks like a lovely meal from both places........but I wonder......When I see pics like this, can one even taste the dog?  Or does that become ancillary to the total experience?  My first time thru a place I'll get a dog "plain" just to see the snap and quality of the meat and roll. If I like it, I might be tempted to add a "bit" of the featured goodies to see, but often I find the dog all but lost in the condiments.  A lil onion......or a lil sauce perks up the dog; a lot just seems to overtake.

Maybe it's just me, but like folks who want their burgers "plain" I wanna taste the main thing I'm buying.

I agree and I always push the chili/condiments back so the first bite is just dog and roll.

Though in this case I only did it once as both places served the same hot dog.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1