Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32
John Sagi

• Total Posts: 146
Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Sat, 12/27/08 12:28 AM (permalink)
I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for hot dogs that are left over and have already been cooked.

When I was 8 or 9 years old my father would make a hot dog with peppers and onions over noodles.

All different recipes are welcome. 
<message edited by John Sagi on Sat, 12/27/08 12:37 AM>

emmymom

• Total Posts: 94
    Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Sat, 12/27/08 1:26 AM (permalink)
    It's not an unusual one, but there's always Beenie-Weenie:  Cut your hot dogs into slices or chunks, and heat them up with a can of your favorite baked beans (l like Bush's Country-Style.)  I add sauteed onions and peppers, a bit of water to thin it out, and maybe a little barbeque sauce or a bit of hot sauce if I feel it needs it.  Serve it in a soup bowl with cornbread on the side.  It's a good comfort food.

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
      Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Sat, 12/27/08 5:52 AM (permalink)
      When I was a kid one of my babysitters use to make a dish like this one (same babysitter who introduced me to the wonders of fried bologna with a scoop of mashed potatoes plopped in the center)

Scalloped potato and hot dog casserole

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
        Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Sat, 12/27/08 6:15 AM (permalink)
        Beans and franks are a favorite in many New England diners and kitchens.
        Take that cornbread batter and make corn-dogs with the leftover doggies.
        I went to a school that served sliced hot dogs with BBQ sauce over rice and it has remained a very simple favorite.

Pigs in a blanket is great.  Use Pillsbury crescent rolls, puff pastry, phyllo dough, or wonton wraps.

I have posted this before somewhere, but this is one of my very favorite snacks: The Chimi-dog...  If desired, frying is not required.

mark

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
          Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Sun, 12/28/08 7:04 PM (permalink)
          use leftover soft taco wrappers to roll the dogs in, nuke em  mix up a dip bowl of  m&r or chili, eat up.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
            Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Sun, 12/28/08 7:25 PM (permalink)
            I'll cut up a package of hot dogs and mix the pieces up in a covered glass casserole dish with a jar of B&M baked beans, one medium onion, thinly sliced and microwaved for two minutes, half a pound of grated part skim mozzarella, black pepper, Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb seasoning, a couple of tablespoons of Jamaican Pickapeppa sauce, a teaspoon of Coleman's dry English mustard, and a dash or so of Worchestershire sauce.

I'll then microwave the whole thing on high for four minutes, turn the dish 180 degrees, and then microwave on high for another four minutes. Then I take the casserole dish from the microwave, remove the cover, and place strips of sharp cheddar cheese in a spoke pattern over the top of the mixture and place the dish, uncovered, under a broiler till the cheese begins to melt and gets just a lovely shade of brown.

I serve it with some rye bread and butter, and a glass of ale (I happen to enjoy Sam Adams Boston Ale).
            <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Sun, 12/28/08 7:27 PM>

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
              Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Sun, 12/28/08 8:52 PM (permalink)
              Hot dogs of every sort are a welcome addition sliced and incorporated into mac& cheese. Kids love it. Soups of every sort can benefit as well. Sliced into vegetables with a bit of tasty broth also has amazing results with vegetable resistant children.

If all else fails and if you happen to own a dog, cutting those leftovers into eighths and using them for dog training produces remarkable results.

John Sagi

Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Mon, 12/29/08 2:45 AM (permalink)
                Thanks for the suggestions.
                <message edited by John Sagi on Mon, 12/29/08 1:15 PM>

John Sagi

Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Mon, 12/29/08 1:13 PM (permalink)
                  Thank you for the posts

Foodosaurus

Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Mon, 12/29/08 1:23 PM (permalink)
                    Purple Hot Dogs:

Chunks of dog, in equal parts grape jelly and ketchup.  Sounds weird, I know.  But don't knock it till you try it.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                      Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Mon, 12/29/08 1:27 PM (permalink)
                      Here's a great depression era hotdog dish...a caserole dinner:
                                 Cut up 5-8 potatoes into about i inch cubes...
                                 Do the same for two-three peppers,red,green or any pepper combination
                                  Add 8-10 hotdogs,likewise in cubes of about an inch
                                  Add two-three 12 oz cans tomato sauce.
                                  Salt Pepper,a little garlic powder to taste
                                  Cover caserole with aluminum foil ..bake at 350 degrees for about one hour
                                  Uncover and bake for 5-10 more minutes....
                                  Enjoy
                                  This was popular during the depression, my mom tells me , and certainly popular when I grew up in the 50's...and my family still loves it today!!!

Give it a try.....you don't even need quality dogs!!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
                        Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Mon, 12/29/08 1:28 PM (permalink)
                        Just out of curiosity, hy was the original post in this thread flagged as being inappropriate?

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                          Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Mon, 12/29/08 1:58 PM (permalink)
                          I've never made this with already cooked hot dogs but I'd just omit the browning step.

CORN DOG CASSEROLE (12 servings)

1 cup thinly sliced celery
                          1 1/ 2 cups chopped onions
                          3 Tbs. butter or margarine
                          1 1 /2 lbs. hot dogs
                          2 eggs
                          1 1/ 2 cups milk
                          1/ 2 tsp. sage or poultry seasoning
                          tsp. pepper
                          2 packages (8 oz. each) corn bread/muffin mix
                          2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese, divided

In a skillet, saute celery and onion in butter or margarine over med-low heat until soft but not browned. Place in bowl; set aside.

Cut hot dogs lengthwise into quarters, then cut into thirds. In the same skillet, saute the hot dogs for 5 minutes or until lightly browned; add to vegetables. Set aside 1 cup of mixture.

In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, sage and pepper. Add the larger quantity of the hot dog mixture. Stir in corn bread mixes and 1 1/ 2 cups of cheese.

Spread into a shallow greased 3 quart baking dish. Top with the 1 cup of reserved hot dog mixture and 1/ 2 cup of cheese. Bake, uncovered at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4469
                            Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Mon, 12/29/08 2:05 PM (permalink)
                            Michael Hoffman, I think it was probably a "Hot Dog Purist" worried about the desecration of a hot dog.

RubyRose, Now that sounds like a first class casserole!

doggydaddy, I like the wraps.  No bacon?

<message edited by joerogo on Mon, 12/29/08 2:10 PM>

John Sagi

Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Mon, 12/29/08 2:21 PM (permalink)
                              Michael - I have no idea why they gave this  thread " flagged as being inappropriate" I've had a few posts either moved or deleted.

You would think this post has peeked the interest of many and I find very knowledgeable

John

KonaErnie

• Total Posts: 356
                                Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Mon, 12/29/08 2:38 PM (permalink)
                                John Sagi

Michael - I have no idea why they gave this  thread " flagged as being inappropriate" I've had a few posts either moved or deleted.

You would think this post has peeked the interest of many and I find very knowledgeable

John

John, I really don't think any moderators flagged this thread. In the message options function anyone can do it.  Most likely it was just some troll. I've enjoyed reading some responses here as I'm a big fan of the hot dog.

porkchopexpress

• Total Posts: 798
                                  Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Mon, 12/29/08 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                  doggydaddy

Beans and franks are a favorite in many New England diners and kitchens.
                                  Take that cornbread batter and make corn-dogs with the leftover doggies.
                                  I went to a school that served sliced hot dogs with BBQ sauce over rice and it has remained a very simple favorite.

Pigs in a blanket is great.  Use Pillsbury crescent rolls, puff pastry, phyllo dough, or wonton wraps.

I have posted this before somewhere, but this is one of my very favorite snacks: The Chimi-dog...  If desired, frying is not required.

mark

Looks good, I'm going to have to try this, Thanks 

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                    Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Mon, 12/29/08 5:30 PM (permalink)
                                    A burrito dog

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6103
                                      Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Mon, 12/29/08 5:46 PM (permalink)
                                      Hot dogs chopped up, in frying pan, provalone on top to melt, fried onions on top, lettice, tomato on a sub roll..Philly dog steak! Maybe some marinara on top also.

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                                        Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Mon, 12/29/08 5:55 PM (permalink)
                                        I have to say I'm not a big hot dog fan, but the burrito/chimi dog holds some interest.  How did you fry it?

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                                          Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Wed, 12/31/08 9:30 PM (permalink)
                                          I was wondering, as well, why someone flagged this as inappropriate.  I agree it's probably a troll, or someone who deems leftover hot dogs "inappropriate".

Doggydaddy, my mom used to make those cresent dogs when I was a kid.  YUM!!

I like leftover dogs with mac & cheese.  I don't usually cut them up & add them to the mac & cheese.  I just eat them along side, dipping them in the cheesy goodness.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
                                            Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Wed, 12/31/08 9:57 PM (permalink)
                                            leethebard

Here's a great depression era hotdog dish...a caserole dinner:
                                                       Cut up 5-8 potatoes into about i inch cubes...
                                                       Do the same for two-three peppers,red,green or any pepper combination
                                                        Add 8-10 hotdogs,likewise in cubes of about an inch
                                                        Add two-three 12 oz cans tomato sauce.
                                                        Salt Pepper,a little garlic powder to taste
                                                        Cover caserole with aluminum foil ..bake at 350 degrees for about one hour
                                                        Uncover and bake for 5-10 more minutes....
                                                        Enjoy
                                                        This was popular during the depression, my mom tells me , and certainly popular when I grew up in the 50's...and my family still loves it today!!!

Give it a try.....you don't even need quality dogs!!

My mom made something similar but used cream of celery soup instead of tomato sauce and it had onion slices instead of the peppers.
                                            In my early married days I made this for my wife and discovered most everyone else in the world used ham for their "scalloped" potato casserole!

I still like this, especially the pieces on top that get extra crispy.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                                              Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Thu, 01/1/09 2:58 AM (permalink)
                                              Hey,I like that variation...think I'll give it a try,Milwfoodlovers!!!

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                                • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
                                                Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Thu, 01/1/09 8:30 AM (permalink)

The original poster, John Sagi wrote to me and asked if he could use my photos for his fledgling hot-dog site. I said that it was fine with me.  He was concerned about mentioning and linking his site, but he does link Road Food.com and I think the worst case scenario will be that we might get some new posters discussing how a hot dog should be eaten.

I did a variation of the grape jelly dish using currant jelly, chili sauce and mustard with Buffalo chicken sausages for Christmas Eve snacking.  As good as it sounds, the sausages were too mild and I would have been better off using the standard cocktail wienies.

Theedge ===I have to say I'm not a big hot dog fan, but the burrito/chimi dog holds some interest.  How did you fry it? ===

I am the same with you, I consider hot dogs to be a delivery vehicle for playing with.  I like this shot of pure deep-frying at its best.  This site has caused me to deep-fry a lot of food. Somewhere I have previously posted a how-to with a hot-dog chile relleno.

joe- The Chimi dogs are the one case where I think that bacon doesn't belong. They have always been made that way.  Tradition I guess... Bacon rarely shows up in burritos and I do not do wraps....unless there is a hot dog inside. And if I did that, it would be real good with bacon, and cheese and before you know it sonofagun, I made a wrap.
                                                P.S. My food photos at home is where I practice with my camera to get the right shot. I have taken an incredible amount of bad shots at home. Better to practice here than in public. I finally got pizza right....

Regarding the pigs in a blanket, I will try them again using something besides Pillsbury/ refrigerated dough. I suggest that Pepperidge Farms puff pastry sheets, phyllo and even wonton skins be tried instead.
                                                Chinese bakeries have a real good Sausage Roll which is a hot dog wrapped in brioche- like bread. They do not need ketchup or mustard.

mark

<message edited by RibRater on Thu, 01/1/09 12:44 PM>

Grillmeister

• Total Posts: 204
                                                  Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Thu, 01/1/09 9:11 AM (permalink)

As long as you have the fryer on...

TEXAS EGGROLLS

hotdogs
                                                  Monterrey jack cheese
                                                  corn tortillas
                                                  oil for frying

Cut the hotdog down the side and insert a long chunk of Monterrey jack cheese. Soften a corn tortilla in oil and let cool. Roll up the dog in the tortilla and secure with a toothpick. Deep fry until golden brown. Serve with salsa.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2016
                                                    Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Thu, 01/1/09 11:28 AM (permalink)
                                                    Michael Hoffman

Just out of curiosity, hy was the original post in this thread flagged as being inappropriate?

It must have been the Point Stalker from the "Why Don't Chicagoans put Ketchup on their Hot Dogs???"

He/she doesn't like hotdogs used in any other way than a Chicago Dog.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                      • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                      Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Thu, 01/1/09 12:14 PM (permalink)

I think this is great topic, as most people I know have leftover hotdogs from one thing or another.Moms old stand by( and mine as well)are to cut up the dogs into "coins", place them on a bun, or bagel or english muffin with a piece of cheese under the hot dogs, and broil til cheese is melted and bubbly.Great with a bowl of tomato soup!!

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
                                                        • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                        Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Thu, 01/1/09 3:36 PM (permalink)
                                                        Is your cholesterol a bit low today? I have the cure. Wrap a piece of bacon around an 8/1 Vienna Beef natural casing hot dog, using two tooth picks to hold the bacon on the dog. Drop in a deep fryer until the bacon is cooked. Plate it and cover with melted Merkt's or Vern's cheddar chesse. This is great if you're on the Atkin's Diet. No carbs!

CSD PhD Professor of Hot Dogs

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                                                          • Location: Bayonne, NJ
                                                          Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Fri, 01/2/09 10:26 PM (permalink)
                                                          Dress up a plain split pea soup recipe with the addition of some leftover quality hot dogs, and/or diced pork roll.

BR

• Total Posts: 233
                                                            • Location: Broken Arrow, OK
                                                            Re:Hot Dog Dish Without The Bun Sat, 01/3/09 9:29 AM (permalink)
                                                            You can make a hot dog reuben sandwich. Use good rye bread, kraut and swiss cheese. Toast the rye with garlic butter, split the dog and put it together. I like to combine 50/50 catalina and plain french dressing to make what I call fratalina dressing.  It's pretty good actually.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com