Hot Dog Poll

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Brahma Bob
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/07 11:02:21 (permalink)
Maybe you should try Kosher. Here's a link that explains what the whole process is about:

www.best-kosher/whats_kosher.html

Let's get you back into the hot-dog eating world.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7315
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/07 11:34:53 (permalink)
I can't get into that link. Maybe their server is down?
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/07 12:34:57 (permalink)
quote:
lleechef
Double Cheeseburger

928 Posts
Posted - 01/06/2004 : 16:07:04
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

I'm spoiled I guess.......I make most of my own hot dogs, brats and sausage and smoke them in a smokehouse. It varies what wood, but usually can find a combination of applewood, mesquite and hickory. I live near Amish/Mennonite country, so I go to the huge market , Yoders, in Grantsville Maryland and buy my casings and some of my spices...I usually do a combination product of both pork and and black angus beef. All meat is from my ex husband's parents farm, butchered, processed and wrapped there on the spot. No offal or fillers in what I make.....I'm spoiled.;)

Spoiled isn't the word!! You're downright lucky! I haven't eaten a commercially made hot dog since 1990, after seeing what goes in them, but I sure would like to try one of yours!
And hold the ketchup please.

lleechef, the gourmet from my stomping ground area, you can do these with basic kitchen tools too, just on a smaller scale. My guess is you have a Kitchen Aid Mixer. They have the attachments needed availiable: fine or coarse grinders, funnel for stuffing casings. I usually use beef and pork shoulders and butts, and for some brats and sausages I add some pork side and bacon cuts. For the hotdogs, rpeated passing through a fine grinder is the key......until it has the consistency of a pate'. Seasonings I usually get a pre mixed brand at Yoders, but what makes or breaks the hotdog is the amount of ground coriander used as well as a good Hungarian paprika. I use pickling or kosher salt, black pepper, a bit of red pepper and a tad of garlic powder in traditional type franks. Sheep casings are a must, none other will really do. After stuffing the casings........just put those bad boys in your favorite smoker, add the wood flavoring of choice(I usually mix mine a bit) and you'll end up with some mighty tasty franks.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/07 12:49:45 (permalink)
Thanks redtressed! Yep, I sure do have a KitchenAid and have made sausages before, just never thought to do the franks. My SO's family ran a small grocery/meat store for a few generations in Iowa and we have the recipes for the sausages. I've just been too lazy to make them. Time to get off my behind and start sausage making again! BTW, I spent the last 7 Christmases in......Morgantown!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3314
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/07 12:57:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Try: www.bests-kosher.com/whats_kosher.html
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/07 13:10:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:

Try: www.bests-kosher.com/whats_kosher.html

Got it. Thanks! Maybe one day I'll come around........I shouldn't have asked way back then what that nasty bin of jiz was headed for!
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/07 16:46:39 (permalink)
I ate Nathan's franks for the first time today. They're bigger than I'm used to, as they come 8 franks to a pound, instead of 10. I thought they smelled good when I opened the package.

I tested the frank's flavor on a bun, sans any condiments and liked it. This is what I'll be buying, though I'd like to try some of the other all beef types recommended here.

Interestingly, these franks are "distributed" by a firm in Crestview Hill's, Kentucky, under license from Nathan's Famous, Inc., Westbury, New York. I suspect "distributed" may mean they are actually manufactured by the Ky. firm.
redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/07 16:47:42 (permalink)
quote:
lleechef
Double Cheeseburger

939 Posts
Posted - 01/07/2004 : 12:49:45
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks redtressed! Yep, I sure do have a KitchenAid and have made sausages before, just never thought to do the franks. My SO's family ran a small grocery/meat store for a few generations in Iowa and we have the recipes for the sausages. I've just been too lazy to make them. Time to get off my behind and start sausage making again! BTW, I spent the last 7 Christmases in......Morgantown!

AND YOU DIDN'T CALL???.....SHEESH!
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/07 16:58:41 (permalink)
A week or so ago, we were asked if anyone knew why hot dogs are normally sold ten to a package, while hot dog buns are sold eight to a package. I cannot locate that post (it may have appeared in another forum) and am wondering if the question was answered?
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/07 17:18:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

quote:
lleechef
Double Cheeseburger

939 Posts
Posted - 01/07/2004 : 12:49:45

AND YOU DIDN'T CALL???.....SHEESH!

Didn't want to bother you, I heard the sausage grinder going......
Brahma Bob
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/08 10:30:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

A week or so ago, we were asked if anyone knew why hot dogs are normally sold ten to a package, while hot dog buns are sold eight to a package. I cannot locate that post (it may have appeared in another forum) and am wondering if the question was answered?

I forget who answered but as I recall they said it was a 1 pound package of hot dogs and a 1 pound package of bread.
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/08 10:33:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Brahma Bob

quote:

I forget who answered but as I recall they said it was a 1 pound package of hot dogs and a 1 pound package of bread.

Another case of logic over reason.
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/08 13:31:20 (permalink)
although it is true that the most well known koosher brands are owned by larger companies, there are plenty of independent ones still left:

999 Kosher Sausage Company (NY)
Benji's of Baltimore (MD)
Abeles and Heymann (NY)
Levitt's (Montreal)
International Glatt (NY)

Abeles and Heymann and 999 are much better than the others...hard thing is you gotta find them.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/08 13:34:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

quote:

quote:

Another case of logic over reason.

The answer to your question awaits you at:
www.hot-dog.org/HotDogQandA.htm
paul and louise
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/08 17:49:06 (permalink)
boys
what about those old fashioned, fat, fire red HOT LINKS
i don't imagine they are kosher, and too many WILL hurt a fellow
but they are yummy with a gob of yellow mustard
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/23 22:35:16 (permalink)
Brahma Bob and signman, I put two pounds of Nathan's all beef hot dogs in the freezer today. After using two packages the past month, I'm a convert.

Thank you for leading me to better food.

PS While penning these words, I realized I now use considerably fewer condiments.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/24 00:13:12 (permalink)
quote:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by JimInKy

My Hot Dog bun bag says 8oz. I think they do it so yopu buy more buns!
10X10
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/28 09:26:34 (permalink)
God, I love reading your postings on hot dogs
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

By law, ingredients in a hot dog must be listed on the package. For the most part, all this talk about cow lips is a myth. Hot dogs are usually beef and pork or all beef. They may or may not contain fillers. Some contain poultry. A very small percentage of hot dogs contain what I would consider undesirable ingredients. There are 2 terms that indicate this. One is "mechanically separated parts". The other term is "variety meats" which can be anything. Minus these two descriptions, you can be sure that you're not eating lips, eyeballs, other balls, etc. I would suggest buying franks from a butcher shop or meat/hot dog manufacturer other than the giants such as Kraft, Sara Lee, etc.

As for Vienna franks, they are a decent all beef dog, but kind of mild for my taste. Not as spicy as a Nathan's, Sabrett, or even Best (N.J., not Chicago) and definitely not as good. My favorite beef franks are Usinger's, Best (N.J.), Sabrett, Nathan's, Hummel's, and Hebrew National where they are available at some Kosher butchers with the skin on them. In Chicago, I think Best (Chicago) and Hebrew National are better choices. There is a dog called Sinai 48 which is made by Best Kosher that is also a quality dog. In fact, this dog is the one used by Superdawg in Chicago.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/30 18:06:35 (permalink)
An update on my search for good quality hot dogs in Lexington, Kentucky: Last night I went marketing and did a check of the hot dogs section at Meijer. Voila! There were packages of Hebrew National hot dogs.

I was surprised to find the packages contain only 7 hot dogs and weigh 12 ounces. I've always bought 8 or 10 franks per 1 lb. package. Seven dogs would be okay, except the 12 ounce package sold for $3.99 or 57 cents per hot dog. The price seemed excessive to me.

I presently pay $3.49 for a 16 ounce package (sale price) of Nathan's, eight to the package. I think they're worth it. A question for anyone: Are Hebrew National dogs always this pricey and should they be?

Until Nathan's appeared, I'd bought one pound packages of Kroger all beef franks for $1.99, on sale.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13549
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/30 18:30:12 (permalink)
JimInKy: You remind me of the Mayor with your shopping habits. He is a stickler for pricing. On just about every trip he has taken, he reports the price of gas and other things.

I have never tried Hebrew Nationals and I could not tell you about the quality but I have bought Nathans many times. Occasionally Walmart will have them on sale and I buy them at that time.

I often wonder how many of the quality hot dog makers package their exact same product under another label such as Walmart?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Nica
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/03/12 10:14:51 (permalink)
quote:

If y'all only knew what's in hot dogs........OK, I won't spoil it for the rest of you that enjoy them. Had my last one in 1990, after seeing the ingredients. And I LOVED them! Can't bring myself to eat even one now.

I am dying to know what is really in hotdogs. I have been trying to find out for years. PLEASE tell me.
jasonbeamstudios
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/03/12 10:35:36 (permalink)
It's been killing me - I need to know more abbout the Dirty Water Dog. I've been craving one for about three years now and I live in Montana - a trip to NY or NJ for a hotdog is just not possible. I went to NYC in 2001 and I had one at just about every vendor I ran across while I was in Manhattan, and even stopped at a roadside on the way to the airport. I assume the recipe is guarded, but if anyone has any information to share - it would be appreciated. ALSO the toppings at the cart - is that ketchup and onions in a mix? I have a vague recollection, but I may be wrong...
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/03/12 10:40:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Nica

quote:

If y'all only knew what's in hot dogs........OK, I won't spoil it for the rest of you that enjoy them. Had my last one in 1990, after seeing the ingredients. And I LOVED them! Can't bring myself to eat even one now.

I am dying to know what is really in hotdogs. I have been trying to find out for years. PLEASE tell me.

Last June, I had the opportunity to tour the Vienna Beef plant in Chicago. I observed the manufacturing process of their hot dogs from beginning to end. They use the sweet trimmings of brisket along with
spices and seasonings. All beef. No additives. No pork. No MSG. Natural casing or skinless. Watch the PBS Hot Dog Program with the tour of the Vienna plant the next time it airs in your viewing area.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1