Hot Dog Poll

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Brahma Bob
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
2003/12/17 21:13:38 (permalink)

Hot Dog Poll

I've found a couple of polls that ask what's your favorite hot dog? I thought that maybe you guys would have something to say about that.

Here are the sites:

www.bestandworst.com/pages/vote/vote-331.html

www.small.to/pollbooth.php?qid=hotdog&aid=-1

Sorry if these don't come out as direct links; after all, as you can see, I am a novice.

52 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/20 15:25:17 (permalink)
    Well, looked over the first link... My favorite place was not listed...
    danimal15
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/30 13:53:11 (permalink)
    People may argue about which hot-dog stand is the best in Chicago, but as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's a Vienna hot dog, I'm going to like it. Flukey's, Wolfy's and Gold Coast Dogs all serve up equally good Vienna dogs. Sadly, with mad cow disease now in the U.S., I think I've had my last hot dog for a while.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/30 15:03:53 (permalink)
    Dan, check this site for some good reading about the mad cowitis. It may change your thoughts on that hot dog after all.
    http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headline_detail.cfm?HEADLINE_ID=2282
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/30 15:13:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

People may argue about which hot-dog stand is the best in Chicago, but as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's a Vienna hot dog, I'm going to like it. Flukey's, Wolfy's and Gold Coast Dogs all serve up equally good Vienna dogs. Sadly, with mad cow disease now in the U.S., I think I've had my last hot dog for a while.

Only if you eat is the beef franks. There are still the original pork kind of franks out there (or are they all "meat" franks?) as well as the subpar chicken and turkey kinds.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/30 15:19:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

Dan, check this site for some good reading about the mad cowitis. It may change your thoughts on that hot dog after all.
    http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headline_detail.cfm?HEADLINE_ID=2282

Of course the Dept. of Ag. wants you to think that "beef is absolutely safe to eat". They are trying to avoid a panic and support the biggest section of American agriculture: beef producers. Do you believe everything the government tells you? I sure as hell don't.

And I'll agree with the Harvard people....yes, "the risk of Americans contracting mad cow disease is 'as close to zero as you can get'". It is totally impossible for humans to contract BCE (mad-cow disease). Humans get CJD....
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/30 15:22:49 (permalink)
    Mad cow or not, I'm still eating my weekly chili dogs! 1 cow is not going to throw my eating habits into a tizzy...
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/30 15:26:58 (permalink)
    Amen, Brother!
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/30 15:34:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Mad cow or not, I'm still eating my weekly chili dogs! 1 cow is not going to throw my eating habits into a tizzy...

You're absolutely right, UV. Afterall, it's not "mad dog" disease. Hot dog eaters everywhere can now relax.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/30 18:56:25 (permalink)
    If y'all only knew what's in hot dogs........OK, I won't spoil it for the rest of you that enjoy them. Had my last one in 1990, after seeing the ingredients. And I LOVED them! Can't bring myself to eat even one now.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/30 20:45:15 (permalink)
    Would anyone care to expound on Vienna hot dogs? I hear a lot about them here, but don't think I've had one. I'm under the impression they are a tasty, high quality hot dog made by a Chicago company, and are served steamed. Apparently Vienna sets the standard in Chicago.

It turns out a Lexington friend visited some hot dog parlors last week looking for a source that could supply him two pound boxes of these dogs. He had no luck.

Are they sold in Chicagoland supermarkets for home use?

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/30 23:04:44 (permalink)
    Check out www.viennabeef.com for information on Vienna products.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/31 08:42:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

If y'all only knew what's in hot dogs........OK, I won't spoil it for the rest of you that enjoy them. Had my last one in 1990, after seeing the ingredients. And I LOVED them! Can't bring myself to eat even one now.

Yup! And I have to admit, my favorite part is cow lips! Especially if they've slightly aged before being ground up. Add's that crunch to the dog that just sets it off!!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/31 09:46:09 (permalink)
    mmmmmmmmm, cow lips !!!! Tasty !!!

I know all about hot dogs and what is in them !!! But I still love them too !!!

A chilly dog with onions on it !!! Now thats good eating !!!!
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/31 14:55:08 (permalink)
    Oneiron:

I did check that site. Thanks. But I still feel queasy about hot dogs (some of the other comments on this thread didn't make me feel any better, by the way). One thing to keep in mind: The Center for Consumer Freedom, which runs the site you sent me, says it is a "nonprofit coalition supported by restaurants and food companies. Not exactly an unbiased source.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/31 20:20:30 (permalink)
    By law, ingredients in a hot dog must be listed on the package. For the most part, all this talk about cow lips is a myth. Hot dogs are usually beef and pork or all beef. They may or may not contain fillers. Some contain poultry. A very small percentage of hot dogs contain what I would consider undesirable ingredients. There are 2 terms that indicate this. One is "mechanically separated parts". The other term is "variety meats" which can be anything. Minus these two descriptions, you can be sure that you're not eating lips, eyeballs, other balls, etc. I would suggest buying franks from a butcher shop or meat/hot dog manufacturer other than the giants such as Kraft, Sara Lee, etc.

As for Vienna franks, they are a decent all beef dog, but kind of mild for my taste. Not as spicy as a Nathan's, Sabrett, or even Best (N.J., not Chicago) and definitely not as good. My favorite beef franks are Usinger's, Best (N.J.), Sabrett, Nathan's, Hummel's, and Hebrew National where they are available at some Kosher butchers with the skin on them. In Chicago, I think Best (Chicago) and Hebrew National are better choices. There is a dog called Sinai 48 which is made by Best Kosher that is also a quality dog. In fact, this dog is the one used by Superdawg in Chicago.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/31 21:27:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John Fox

By law, ingredients in a hot dog must be listed on the package. For the most part, all this talk about cow lips is a myth. Hot dogs are usually beef and pork or all beef. They may or may not contain fillers. Some contain poultry. A very small percentage of hot dogs contain what I would consider undesirable ingredients. There are 2 terms that indicate this. One is "mechanically separated parts". The other term is "variety meats" which can be anything. Minus these two descriptions, you can be sure that you're not eating lips, eyeballs, other balls, etc. I would suggest buying franks from a butcher shop or meat/hot dog manufacturer other than the giants such as Kraft, Sara Lee, etc.

As for Vienna franks, they are a decent all beef dog, but kind of mild for my taste. Not as spicy as a Nathan's, Sabrett, or even Best (N.J., not Chicago) and definitely not as good. My favorite beef franks are Usinger's, Best (N.J.), Sabrett, Nathan's, Hummel's, and Hebrew National where they are available at some Kosher butchers with the skin on them. In Chicago, I think Best (Chicago) and Hebrew National are better choices. There is a dog called Sinai 48 which is made by Best Kosher that is also a quality dog. In fact, this dog is the one used by Superdawg in Chicago.

I was just making a joke about the beef lips. I like hot dogs, therfore I devoure them! I especially appreciate the light damage they do to my wallet! We should be more concerned about food handling in the processing plants (and I've heard nothing but bad things on what goes on in there)... I'd like to say the less we know... But in this day in age there's too much going on not to hear about it!

Happy New Year!
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2003/12/31 21:32:04 (permalink)
    Thanks, John, for your thoughts on a subject I know nothing about. I do enjoy a good, all beef hot dog, but often find myself less than happy with the dog itself, which is why I tend to mask the flavor with too much condiment.

It's time to go looking for a better source than my Kroger.

I once lived in NYC and remember the good Nathan's hot dogs.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/01 13:44:15 (permalink)
    John Fox,

Hate to ruin your day, Bests Kosher and Siani 48 have been owned by Sara Lee since 1993. If Vienna hot dogs are too mild for your taste, I suggest you experience a Vienna Polish or even better, a Vienna Firedog (a hot and spicy Polish). Vienna makes over 100 different natural casing and skinless encased meats which are exclusively available to restaurants and hot dog stands. Vienna retail products: hot dogs, Polish, and Firedogs are available at food stores in the midwest.
    John Fox
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/01 15:13:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. And I just remembered that Hebrew National was bought by ConAgra. What I should've said is to buy quality hot dogs rather than the garbage with "variety meats" or chicken and turkey. Some of the larger sellers such as BallPark and Oscar Meyer are bland an ordinary in my opinion. I would love to try a Polish, but don't have access to them here in Jersey. I have had a spicy Sabrett sausage and one from Best Provisions in Newark. These were too spicy for my taste.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/02 05:54:04 (permalink)
    Jim, I would think even your local Kroger stocks a good all beef kosher style dog like Nathans brand, or Hebrew National.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/03 20:48:35 (permalink)
    Not a hot dog con a sewer, so I can't rightly say who's the best. I like James Coney Island here, but I rarely go there.
    Brahma Bob
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/05 00:21:10 (permalink)
    Making a quality hot dog is not that easy. Because the meat packer or butcher must acheive what they call an "emulsion" in order to make a smooth, consistent product dog after dog after dog, they need specialized equipment only used to make hot dogs. This means an enormous capital outlay for the business and one that not every local butcher is willing to make.

In order to produce a consistent,quality product the packer or butcher must use consistent and sustainable quality ingredients. This relationship with the supplier is one that is cultivated and coveted. Once established it is usually a well guarded secret. This is true of the butcher on through to the hot dog seller. For instance, how many times have we heard John Fox say that he couldn't find out the brand of hot dog served at this or that establishment? Or that the name of the brand served is a jealously guarded secret?

After all this work and time and commitment put into the business, the one thing that will totally screw it up and send the whole thing to the dumpster is if one customer even thinks that the hot dog they ate at lunch had anything to do with their tummy ache this evening. All the regulation aside, from the Feds to the State, the County to the City, the Ag Department to Environmental and Public Health, the absolute worst thing that could possibly happen is tomorrow's headline reading "Cow Lips Found in Your Favorite Brand of Hot Dog!". Tomorrow would be the last day for that brand on the shelf.

John Fox, you have set me in search of that great hot dog experience. Because I'm on the Left Coast I do not have the same brand names that I see mentioned all the time here on Roadfood. However, I have found Nathan's (skinless), Miller, Hebrew National, Saag's, and a California native brand called Casper's (natural casing) all locally. All these brands are quality dogs and a cut above the rest.
    John Fox
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/05 20:11:46 (permalink)
    Hey Bob,

Never had Casper's or Miller, but heard that they are great. Do you have a favorite among the brands you mentioned?
    Brahma Bob
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/05 23:26:07 (permalink)
    Nathan's has won taste tests around my humble abode. The dog available here in the market is a skinless dog 8:1. Saag's makes a good 8:1 veal/pork brat in a natural casing. While not quite as good as the one available at the butcher in a hog casing, it fits in the bun and is a close as I am going to get (locally) to a white hot. Miller is a good dog and is available in many configurations. The one at the market is a skinless 8:1. This a pork/beef 50-50 dog. Hebrew Nat'l is, of course, H Nt'l. Good consistent product. Available here in 7:12oz or 7:28oz (or some such thing; I don't know why they don't package them 8:1 and 8:2). Casper's is a native brand to California. They have a web site if you want to get the full story. But the gist of it is that they've been selling hot dogs in CA before Columbus discovered America and they're an institution in Oakland and the Bay Area. They're now producing and shipping their product all over God's Green Acres. Natural casing 8:1 pork/beef 50-50. Very pale in color.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/06 00:55:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Jim, I would think even your local Kroger stocks a good all beef kosher style dog like Nathans brand, or Hebrew National.

Signman, You must be prescient.

I made a trip to the our largest Kroger this evening and found Nathan's skinless franks for sale. They are sold in a bright green and yellow 16 ounce package of eight at $3.99/lb. I spoke with the butcher who is in charge of all luncheon meats. He said this week was the first time Nathan's had been stocked in his store. There was a second Nathan's choice, extra long franks.

A different butcher told me the store had once carried Hebrew National but doesn't anymore. Kroger does sell an all beef kosher dog from Ball Park.

I'll be enjoying them within the next few days. In 5 hours, our region's first Krispy Kreme opens.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/06 11:09:06 (permalink)
    BB,

FYI: The Sam's Club near your home sells both Herbrew National and Best's Kosher. They even carry the Best's Kosher Polish. Sam's Clubs in the midwest have a hot dog stand right inside their stores. Their brand of choice is Best's Kosher. The jumbo sells for $1.50 and that includes a drink.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/06 15:56:43 (permalink)
    I'm spoiled I guess.......I make most of my own hot dogs, brats and sausage and smoke them in a smokehouse. It varies what wood, but usually can find a combination of applewood, mesquite and hickory. I live near Amish/Mennonite country, so I go to the huge market , Yoders, in Grantsville Maryland and buy my casings and some of my spices...I usually do a combination product of both pork and and black angus beef. All meat is from my ex husband's parents farm, butchered, processed and wrapped there on the spot. No offal or fillers in what I make.....I'm spoiled.;)
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/06 16:07:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

I'm spoiled I guess.......I make most of my own hot dogs, brats and sausage and smoke them in a smokehouse. It varies what wood, but usually can find a combination of applewood, mesquite and hickory. I live near Amish/Mennonite country, so I go to the huge market , Yoders, in Grantsville Maryland and buy my casings and some of my spices...I usually do a combination product of both pork and and black angus beef. All meat is from my ex husband's parents farm, butchered, processed and wrapped there on the spot. No offal or fillers in what I make.....I'm spoiled.;)

Spoiled isn't the word!! You're downright lucky! I haven't eaten a commercially made hot dog since 1990, after seeing what goes in them, but I sure would like to try one of yours!
    And hold the ketchup please.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Hot Dog Poll 2004/01/06 16:49:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

Spoiled isn't the word!! You're downright lucky! I haven't eaten a commercially made hot dog since 1990, after seeing what goes in them, but I sure would like to try one of yours!
    And hold the ketchup please.

Tenet vester canis (if my lousy Latin serves me): Know thy dog.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1