Hot!Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 136
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/01/01 22:27:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Philohio

tdj,
I too am a displaced kingston native. We have sauce delivered to us when relatives visit and enjoy are once a year trip back to kingston. Our kids became hooked on the sauce even though they have never set foot in any of the dinners. Your recipe is dead on...in fact we made it the center piece of our new years meal. Thanks for your efforts to duplicate the sauce!

Thanks Philohio, I'm glad you and your family enjoyed the sauce. Where are you living now. By your login name I would guess Ohio? If so see if you can find a "Skyline Chili" restaurant, it's not Dallas Hot Wieners but it is really good.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/01/01 22:34:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Sims

Tried your Recipe tdj_tx, but I reduced the recipe by 50%, so as not to make too big a batch.
Just in case.
I was surprised, that it thickened up as well as it did, considering the amount of water.

Of course, I have never had a Texas Hot before, so not sure what to expect. I followed the recipe to a T, accept the reduction in batch size.It turned out very well.

It was surprisingly, very tasty.

Here is a pot of ready to eat, Texas Hot Sauce.

I even diced the onions, very small, and used regular yellow mustard.
The recipe is a keeper but I believe it can be improved on to give it a little more flavor and body.
Have you tried beef stock or chicken stock in place of water?

Finished product.
Mmmm! Gotta go eat.

Hey Doug, nice. I glad you enjoyed the sauce, and are experimenting. I haven't tried to swap out the water for stock, the original sauce that I reverse engineered called for water. I am thinking of making a change to the next batch I make, I'm going to add celery seeds. One tip for you, I'd grid the hotdogs a little more finer, for the sauce, next time.
DougS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 476
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/01/01 23:04:22 (permalink)
tdj, I was a little apprehensive about the amount of water, myself.
Surprisingly, as it cooks down it thickens up and yes, they tasted as good as they looked.
I woofed down all three of them. The recipe is a easy one, accept maybe grinding the dogs.
It is a keeper.
I will play around with the water or stock to see what affect that has on the finished product.
But you did good. Thanks for the recipe and the suggestions.
Philohio
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/01/02 20:40:23 (permalink)
tdj,
yes ohio, just outside akron. skyline is a few miles away, never been there, but will try based on your comments. now i need to find good ny pizza other than sbarros.
yes all, the sauce is a bit thin, but the onions help keep the sauce in place! and it tastes good on french fries too.
MsDiPesto
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/01/04 09:35:29 (permalink)
I'm just amazed at how much attention Dallas Hot Weiners et al get on this board! I can still remember the way they tasted. I grew up in Hurley, went to KHS. I remember the first time I went to Dallas Hot Weiners with a girlfriend after taking the SATs at J. Watson Bailey junior high. Fun to see they are still there. Next time I vist, I have to stop in and get a couple! I remember going to Texas lunch on Albany Ave too, when it was operating under that name.
Thanks for sharing the recipies all!
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/01/04 21:32:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Philohio

tdj,
yes ohio, just outside akron. skyline is a few miles away, never been there, but will try based on your comments. now i need to find good ny pizza other than sbarros.
yes all, the sauce is a bit thin, but the onions help keep the sauce in place! and it tastes good on french fries too.

Hey philohio, definitely checkout skyline, go for the 5 way. I think they do have "chili dogs". Can't help you on the pizza, but I know what you mean. We are lucky where I live in central Texas, we have a pizza joint called Saccones. The family is from Jersey and they make the best pizza in the area.
Philohio
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/01/05 08:50:30 (permalink)
tdj,
funny you mention that. we found a pizza place in downtown cleveland around the corner from jacobs field and quicken arena, they make ny style pizza....and yes, the owners are from long island. its a bit of a ride for us, but we always make it a stop before a game.
Vincenza's Pizza & Pasta its better than ny.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/02/16 17:47:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tdj_tx

Take it easy man, I had to feed the family. My wife came home and smelled the sauce, and was very happy. I was editing some video of the making, to be posted later. Here is the recipe.

Texas Hot Wiener Sauce
by Tom Jones 2007

8 cups water
8 oz ground hotdogs (I prefer all beef)
1/2 cup cornstarch (dissolved in a little cold water)
1 tbls paprika
1 tbls chili powder
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tsp sea or kosher salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
a few grinds of fresh black pepper

Bring everything to a boil, except the cornstarch.
Let simmer for 30 minutes, then slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly. Bring back to a boil, and keep stirring.
Taste along the way, adjusting the salt or pepper as you like it.
Serve on your favorite hotdog, with brown mustard, diced onion, in a steamed hotdog bun. This sauce will be thin, it is supposed to be, it is not a "chili dog" recipe. The sauce will thicken as it cools. It freezes well.

Ok, took a package of sauce out of the freezer for dinner tonight.
I thought I'd make an addition, I added a couple of dashes of celery salt. Well, it does add a nice flavor. We won't know until later tonight, bun, hotdog, mustard, onions, they all add the whole flavor.
I think celery salt is used a lot in Chicago style dogs, let's see what adding it to Texas Hot Wiener sauce will do ;-)
mr.smartbum
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/02/23 16:04:12 (permalink)
Dear tdj_tx,

Ya can't imagine how grateful I am to have come across this post. I grew up in Buffalo NY, and remember as a child and young man eating at a place called Frank's Texas Red Hots - The hot dogs were fantastic. They had this woderful sauce which, I knew through a friend, was made up of ground up hot dogs. For the longest time (I mean at least 10 years now) I've tried to find the recipe as well as replicate it - No Luck! Well, today my search has finally ended. The recipe you posted is it!!!
After seeing the post, I knew this had to be it. I went to the kitchen, and Eureka!! Damn, I'm so happy! A big thanks for posting. I'm sure there are alot of other people happy to be able to "go back home" by visiting this recipe. Again, a great big thanks
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/02/28 20:14:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr.smartbum

Dear tdj_tx,

Ya can't imagine how grateful I am to have come across this post. I grew up in Buffalo NY, and remember as a child and young man eating at a place called Frank's Texas Red Hots - The hot dogs were fantastic. They had this woderful sauce which, I knew through a friend, was made up of ground up hot dogs. For the longest time (I mean at least 10 years now) I've tried to find the recipe as well as replicate it - No Luck! Well, today my search has finally ended. The recipe you posted is it!!!
After seeing the post, I knew this had to be it. I went to the kitchen, and Eureka!! Damn, I'm so happy! A big thanks for posting. I'm sure there are alot of other people happy to be able to "go back home" by visiting this recipe. Again, a great big thanks

Hey, thanks I'm glad you liked it. This is the reason I posted it, I tried for years to figure this recipe out. Once I perfected it I knew others would enjoy it as well. Did you do any tweaking or adjusting to the recipe? I also posted a video on youtube, if you haven't seen it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlLpxHzJg-4
Trask
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/03/17 15:58:11 (permalink)
Good to see another PJ person here!! The Texas Lunch there was a frequent eating place for me especially when it was in its' old locaton closer to the underpass during the 60's. Since I don't live near there anymore I have tried and succeeded in making my own version which I find equally good. No meat in mine except for a strong pork/beef broth salted to taste and with onion and garlic powder. For color and some texture I use a deep red coarse ground asian pepper instead of paprika. Thicken a bit with corn or arrowroot starch and assemble like "The Greek" did it.

quote:
Originally posted by Three x a lady

When I was growing up in Port Jervis, NY there was a place called Texas Lunch, which is still there, that had the most wonderful sauce that you put on hot dogs. I can not locate what the sauce is or how it was made, but it was the best ever. Does anyone know what this recipe is?
jtdawg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/03/31 22:10:56 (permalink)
Tom,

I received a copy of your recipe a few years ago and while it is very good, it wasn't quite the same as the restaurant I visited often when I lived in New York. In my quest to determine the ingredients I had a sample of the sauce analyzed by a master chef and he determined the following:

<Master Chef Notes>
The list of spices used in this sample sauce recipe are....

Beef particles
Grease from food preparation
Onion Dehydrated - Ground
* Ginger Root - Ground
* Bay Powder - Fragmented Leaf Powder
* Celery Seed ( or similar ) - Ground Fine
* Black Pepper - Coarse Grind
* Turmeric - Ground
* Nutmeg - Ground
* Coriander - Powder
* Cloves - Powder
* Fenugree -Powder
* Red Peppers (probably shredded)
* Cumin flakes (probably shredded)
** Citric Acid

* These spices are all found in McCormicks Curry seasoning
** The local restaurant sells Sunny D'Light

The spices are probably a mild curry mix available through a Greek grocer with the above ingredients. This is probably a good starting point.

The sauce probably is made from leftovers in the kitchen with spices and a thickening agent is used (probably flour). It appears to be more gravy like than chili. So the guess is it starts out as a roux of equal parts of leftover grease from the hamburgers and hot dog preparations and flour. Once the roux has cooked to a light brown, the the spices are added and the roux is allowed to absorbed the flavors for two to three minutes before water and OJ are added.

There appears to be more cloves than what is found in the typical curry mixes.
</Master Chef Notes>

I checked local grocers (not Greek) in the area and discovered that all of these ingredients are found in McCormicks Curry mix. The citric acid probably comes from orange juice or in the case of this particular restaurant, Sunny D'Light.

If I were to guess the recipe goes something like this:

Prepare a light to medium brown Roux using the following:
1/2 Cup of lard (restaurant uses grease drippings with beef particles from food preparation)
1/2 Cup of flour

When Roux is at the desired color, remove from heat and add the following seasonings:
2-3 TSP of Curry powder
1-2 TSP of Cloves powder

Allow the Roux to absorb the seasoning's flavors for 2-4 minutes then add the liquids and hot dogs grounds
4-6 Grilled hot dogs (processed with a food processor or finely chopped as the restaurant probably uses leftover dogs)
8 Cups of water
1/2 Cup of Sunny D'Light or OJ

Return to heat and bring to near boiling and keep stirring so the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan and until the consistency of a light gravy is achieved. Taste along the way, adjusting the seasoning, salt or pepper as you like it.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/03/31 23:23:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jtdawg

Tom,

I received a copy of your recipe a few years ago and while it is very good, it wasn't quite the same as the restaurant I visited often when I lived in New York. In my quest to determine the ingredients I had a sample of the sauce analyzed by a master chef and he determined the following:

<Master Chef Notes>

Beef particles
* Ginger Root - Ground
* Turmeric - Ground
* Nutmeg - Ground
* Coriander - Powder
* Cloves - Powder
* Fenugree -Powder
** Citric Acid

The spices are probably a mild curry mix available through a Greek grocer with the above ingredients. This is probably a good starting point.

The sauce probably is made from leftovers in the kitchen with spices and a thickening agent is used (probably flour). It appears to be more gravy like than chili. So the guess is it starts out as a roux of equal parts of leftover grease from the hamburgers and hot dog preparations and flour. Once the roux has cooked to a light brown, the the spices are added and the roux is allowed to absorbed the flavors for two to three minutes before water and OJ are added.

</Master Chef Notes>

I checked local grocers (not Greek) in the area and discovered that all of these ingredients are found in McCormicks Curry mix. The citric acid probably comes from orange juice or in the case of this particular restaurant, Sunny D'Light.

1/2 Cup of lard (restaurant uses grease drippings with beef particles from food preparation)
1/2 Cup of flour

When Roux is at the desired color, remove from heat and add the following seasonings:
2-3 TSP of Curry powder
1-2 TSP of Cloves powder

Allow the Roux to absorb the seasoning's flavors for 2-4 minutes then add the liquids and hot dogs grounds
4-6 Grilled hot dogs (processed with a food processor or finely chopped as the restaurant probably uses leftover dogs)
8 Cups of water

Return to heat and bring to near boiling and keep stirring so the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan and until the consistency of a light gravy is achieved. Taste along the way, adjusting the seasoning, salt or pepper as you like it.

spam spam spam, oh yea, and more spam
jtdawg
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/04/01 07:24:52 (permalink)
I don't understand your spam comments. What makes you think I am spamming the board, is it because I used brand labels or that I might know a master chef in a city of over 6 million people? Sorry to say that even if I was a Juice or Spice salesman, I don't believe it would make me rich using brand names in my post.

JFYI, I went to the restarant to spy because the master chef said that most mom & pops restaurants don't hide the incredients they use in their food preparation. Sure enough there was OJ (SD for Tom) in the cooler. The spices were not on display so I don't know what they use, so I had to search local grocers to see what they might sell and this is where I found the curry with the same incredients. Still I don't know if they are in the same portions that the restaurant uses. While an electron microscope can help you determine a particular spice and it's texture, its hard to count the items on a slide to determine portions.

I am fairly sure the restaurant gets most of their food products from Sysco Foods (opps more Spam so I must work for Sysco) judging by the number of Sysco empty boxes lying around, so if someone works for Sysco and was to pull one of the orders we would all know what type of hamburger, weiners, buns, etc. many of these joints use.
quote:

quote:

Tom,

<Master Chef Notes>

Beef particles
* Ginger Root - Ground
* Turmeric - Ground
* Nutmeg - Ground
* Coriander - Powder
* Cloves - Powder
* Fenugree -Powder
** Citric Acid

</Master Chef Notes>

1/2 Cup of flour

2-3 TSP of Curry powder
1-2 TSP of Cloves powder

8 Cups of water

tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/04/01 19:36:55 (permalink)
quote:

I don't understand your spam comments. What makes you think I am spamming the board, is it because I used brand labels or that I might know a master chef in a city of over 6 million people? Sorry to say that even if I was a Juice or Spice salesman, I don't believe it would make me rich using brand names in my post.

JFYI, I went to the restarant to spy because the master chef said that most mom & pops restaurants don't hide the incredients they use in their food preparation. Sure enough there was OJ (SD for Tom) in the cooler. The spices were not on display so I don't know what they use, so I had to search local grocers to see what they might sell and this is where I found the curry with the same incredients. Still I don't know if they are in the same portions that the restaurant uses. While an electron microscope can help you determine a particular spice and it's texture, its hard to count the items on a slide to determine portions.

I am fairly sure the restaurant gets most of their food products from Sysco Foods (opps more Spam so I must work for Sysco) judging by the number of Sysco empty boxes lying around, so if someone works for Sysco and was to pull one of the orders we would all know what type of hamburger, weiners, buns, etc. many of these joints use.

quote:

quote:

Tom,

<Master Chef Notes>

Beef particles
* Ginger Root - Ground
* Turmeric - Ground
* Nutmeg - Ground
* Coriander - Powder
* Cloves - Powder
* Fenugree -Powder
** Citric Acid

</Master Chef Notes>

1/2 Cup of flour

2-3 TSP of Curry powder
1-2 TSP of Cloves powder

8 Cups of water

I'm sorry but it just looked like spam to me. First off, this was your first post on this forum, second you did mention specific brand names, and third you started off by saying that you "received my recipe a few years ago". I'm sorry if I offended you, I have seen some really good spammers. Maybe I'll take you up on your roux method, I'm not certain about using curry powder though. I use curry a lot and I've never tasted a texas hot weiner that remotely had a taste of curry.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/04/01 20:12:15 (permalink)
jtdawg, there wasn't any comments in your last post, just the quote from mine.
jtdawg
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/04/01 20:44:45 (permalink)
Tom,

No problem as you probably don't remember my email request. I'm sure you received many of them over the years. I think I saw one of your posts on one of the rec.food groups in 2001 or 2002 and I sent you an email at your business email. You were kind enough to send me your recipe back then and I have enjoyed it over the years. Like me, I believe you're still in search of that one elusive incredient or method to master your recipe, but I believe that each hot dog stand has their own unique twist making them special to those who grow up in that area.

The particular hot dog sauce I am trying to duplicate is AJs Texas Hots in Western NY. When I compared the flavors to yours they were similar but not quite the same. Thus I've spent much effort to reproduce it and while close, very close I have not quite mastered the portions.

I saw a post on the net where someone suggested the following recipe was given to him. This recipes uses a lot of lard and also contains curry but no thickening agent. The master chef who analyzed AJs sauce sample said it has a lot of flour (possibly cornstarch, but he said most likely flour to keep the cost down) in the recipe so he assumed it was a roux base sauce. He also told me there was no evidence of cinnamon or mustard. The surprising incredient (to me at least) was the citric acid. He suggested that I might never be able match the flavors in small portions as the restaurant makes a large pot every morning and the flavors blend differently in larger lots. Lastly, he said it looked like the grease came from the grill as it had beef particles and hot dog bits in it which also might be a result of grinding up the leftovers from the day before.

Greek Sauce Recipe (Author Unknown)
=======================================
3 1/2 Lbs. of Lard
6 Lbs. Ground Chuck, needs to be ground twice or run through food processor.
2 Lbs. Finely Chopped Onion
2 TBLS. each Cinnamon, Curry, Whole Cloves and Salt.
2 TBLS. Celery Seed
3 TBLS. Chili Powder
1 TBLS. Paprika
6 Quarts Water

Brown Onions and Chopped Meat with Lard. After Twenty Minutes add spices and water. Bring to boil and allow to thicken, simmer for at least two hours.

If anyone makes either of these recipes, be sure to add a stripe of mustard to a steamed roll (or microwave a roll with a wet paper towel over it for 8-10 seconds) and add the sauce and minced white onions on top.

I have over 100 different variations saved on my computer and no I haven't tried them all. I have them for educational records as I attempt to make a copy of AJs.

Tom, thanks for your recipe.
jtdawg
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/04/01 20:48:09 (permalink)
Sorry, I must have double clicked the cursor pad on my laptop. I deleted it since there was no reply attached.
quote:

jtdawg, there wasn't any comments in your last post, just the quote from mine.
xperimenter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/05/01 20:10:42 (permalink)
quote:

Hi, I just found this forum, this thread is pretty old, hope it's not dead. It is so funny I found this forum. I'm getting ready to make a batch of real "Texas hot wiener sauce". I lived in Kingston, NY
for 13 years, my wife was born there. We live in Texas now, and no one here has ever heard of Texas hot wiener sauce. It seems like an upstate NY thing. I used to eat at Texas Lunch in Kingston all the time, I worked for IBM right next door. My favorite hot wiener joint was Dallas Hot Wieners in uptown Kingston, I would order five of those things and eat every one of them. One of my best friends family once owned a deli there, they had a top secret recipe for hot wiener sauce, he would never give it to me. He did let me in on the main secret ingredient, ground hotdogs. I was visiting Kingston several years ago and was able to get my hands on a jar of sauce one of the local families sold at Adam's market. The ingredients were listed on the jar. I simply "reverse engineered" it using the ground hotdogs as the key ingredient. After years of tweaking I have the sauce we all know and love. My wife begs me to make this from time to time, so I make up a batch and freeze cups of it, then vacuum seal them. They freeze well. I'm searching for my hand written cookbook right now. If there is any interest in the recipe I'll post it here. It is so good I almost started selling the recipe on ebay for $1, after doing some research I came to the conclusion, not to many people even know what this sauce is.

I hope that's the one I've been trying to duplicate! I grew up in Newburgh and knew every hot dog place from Catskill to the Jersey border. We moved from Ulster County to Florida almost ten years ago and I've been experimenting and failing to succeed that long, Lol. I used to eat 7 at a sitting at Dallas Hots on North Front Street. I called them last summer and their Dad retired and they still sell the sauce but won't ship it for liability reasons. You're right, it's not a chilli dog or tomato based sauce. I remember it as being a light golden with tiny pink and red specks in it and if your reverse engineered recipe is it I owe you. I'm going to make some right now and you don't know how happy you have made this "old" man from Ulster County. Thanks!

kluepfel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/05/01 20:57:10 (permalink)
I was born in and grew up in Kingston....now living in Florida. I haven't found any hot wieners down here with a sauce like we had up there. I tried Tom's recipe for the Dallas Hot Weiner sauce that is posted in this forum and it is pretty much spot on! In fact, I just had some last night for supper and today for lunch from a batch I froze. I think it's the chili and cinnamon that is the main flavor and smell of the sauce. Another great hot wiener and sauce is from Mickey's Igloo in Kingston.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/05/01 21:03:44 (permalink)
I had a somewhat unsettling experience at Dallas Hot Wieners on N. Front Street two days ago. It was 12:30 - noon- and I was the only customer sitting at the counter for the 20 minutes I was there. There was a steady stream of takeouts, and a couple of elderly ladies were sitting in one of the booths... but this was lunch hour???

The sauce and the hot dog were everything I expected; nothing has changed, the place is as good as ever. Where was the lunch crowd??

Cheers, John
xperimenter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/05/02 10:27:17 (permalink)
quote:

Texas Hot Wiener Sauce
by Tom Jones 2007

8 cups water
1 tbls paprika
1 tbls chili powder
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tsp sea or kosher salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Let simmer for 30 minutes, then slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly. Bring back to a boil, and keep stirring.
Serve on your favorite hotdog, with brown mustard, diced onion, in a steamed hotdog bun. This sauce will be thin, it is supposed to be, it is not a "chili dog" recipe. The sauce will thicken as it cools. It freezes well.

Tdj,

O.K., I cut your recipe in half just to try last night and I ended up eating four of them. I used my wife's electric Rival hand chopper thing that you stick into sauces etc. while cooking that purees everything in a flash and I may have chopped the weiners too fine but it tasted great.
I doubled the Cayenne just because I was always asking the older Greek lady who sometimes waited tables at Dallas Hot Wieners to make my dogs hotter, Lol. During my many years of experimenting on these I also used to throw in a whole habernero chopped up but our company could never eat it that hot so that idea is out the window.
Our son, his girlfriend and our 8 year old grand daughter are coming over for dinner today and guess what we're having tonight? Lol. Yes, they've been my guinea pigs for almost ten years and although I was close on my last recipe attempt I had too many extra spices in it like cloves as I had been getting carried away.
Next time I'm going to try using white vadalia onions and have some friends and neighbors over to try them too.
I have been searching the Internet all along for this recipe and it's funny I just found this forum when I Googled "use rue or corn starch in hot dog sauce".
1,503 miles was just too far to travel to get some Dallas Hot Wieners with gasoline at nearly $4 a gallon!
Thanks again for posting.
Ted
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/07/01 17:30:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by xperimenter

quote:

Texas Hot Wiener Sauce
by Tom Jones 2007

8 cups water
1 tbls paprika
1 tbls chili powder
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tsp sea or kosher salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Tdj,

O.K., I cut your recipe in half just to try last night and I ended up eating four of them. I used my wife's electric Rival hand chopper thing that you stick into sauces etc. while cooking that purees everything in a flash and I may have chopped the weiners too fine but it tasted great.
I doubled the Cayenne just because I was always asking the older Greek lady who sometimes waited tables at Dallas Hot Wieners to make my dogs hotter, Lol. During my many years of experimenting on these I also used to throw in a whole habernero chopped up but our company could never eat it that hot so that idea is out the window.
Our son, his girlfriend and our 8 year old grand daughter are coming over for dinner today and guess what we're having tonight? Lol. Yes, they've been my guinea pigs for almost ten years and although I was close on my last recipe attempt I had too many extra spices in it like cloves as I had been getting carried away.
Next time I'm going to try using white vadalia onions and have some friends and neighbors over to try them too.
I have been searching the Internet all along for this recipe and it's funny I just found this forum when I Googled "use rue or corn starch in hot dog sauce".
1,503 miles was just too far to travel to get some Dallas Hot Wieners with gasoline at nearly $4 a gallon!
Thanks again for posting.
Ted

I'm glad you liked it, we are having hot wieners tonight for dinner!
It freezes well, you just need to add a little extra water while warming it up. I've been experimenting with this sauce and a variation of the "New Jersey Italian Hotdog", with really good results. I fry up some diced potatoes and onions, in bacon grease. Stack two Boars Head natural casing beef franks in a sub roll, spicy brown mustard, potatoes and onions, and top with hot wiener sauce. Yum, Yum, Yum!
DougS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 476
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/07/02 22:47:58 (permalink)
I froze some of Tdj's sauce in those little cupcake trays,then dumped them into a ziplock.
Now I can take out whatever amount I need with no waste.

Talking about waste.....
I tried using some ground beef in place of ground wieners.
Scratch one batch to the garbage can.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/07/03 10:42:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DougS

I froze some of Tdj's sauce in those little cupcake trays,then dumped them into a ziplock.
Now I can take out whatever amount I need with no waste.

Talking about waste.....
I tried using some ground beef in place of ground wieners.
Scratch one batch to the garbage can.

Yea, the ground wieners do make a difference. You have to remember they do contain a lot of spices that really rounds out the flavor of the sauce. I do the same freezing thing, I put them in little containers with lids then freeze and put in a ziplock bag. Just the right amount for 7 or 8 "Texas Hot Wieners" .
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/05 12:02:04 (permalink)
Since the question has been raised about the difference between a "Coney" and a "Texas hot", I thought a reprise of this thread would be in order. Tom's recipe for Texas hots - the real thing- is dated 11/19/07.

Cheers, John
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10411
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/05 18:03:42 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by John A

tdj_tx,

Tried your hot dog sauce recipe with a couple of modifications. I used four cups of water and five two ounce hot dogs in place of four. I normally like to fry the dogs and lightly toast the buns. This time I boiled the dogs and steamed the buns in order to see how close the finished product would be to those at Dallas Hot Weiners in Kingston, NY. Some spicey brown mustard, chopped onions, your sauce, and I thought I was in Kingston. Very good recipe, thank you.

Glad you liked it John A! Great pics too, looks just like the ones I used to get in Kingston. I also loved how the waitresses would holler the orders to the cooks, and the cook would line the buns up his arm. I'm going to have to thaw some sauce out and have me some hot wieners tonight.

tdj_tx,
I'm making your Sauce Recipe as we speak! ( With some modifications, of course)! The Whole house smells great! I used 2 cans of Beef Broth and 1 can of Vegetable Broth + water to make a total of 8 cups of liquid. I used one package, 12 oz, of Hebrew National Beef Franks and added about a 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion. I didn't deviate on the seasonings except the Paprika. I didn't have any. I haven't added the Cornstarch yet, but it looks awful soupy.It Tastes great!!!Have you ever used Masa Herena as a thickener? I hope the Cornstarch does the job. Gotta go do the Cornstarch. Pray for me!!

I'm back! Did the Cornstarch thing, boiled and stirred for 10 minutes. It's still on the soupy side but I can see it's going to work and it tastes great! It's been years since I lived back East but the aroma of this sauce brought it all back to Me. I've been so used to the thicker, meatier Chili Sauces of the Southwest that I almost forgot what the real deal Back East Texas Sauce tasted like. Guess what's on the menu tonite!!! I think I'm going to try a combo sauce next time by using this recipe and adding some finely chopped ground beef to the pot and see what that tastes like. Texas Lunch Affectionaidos will probably jump in their covered wagons and come out here and hunt me down like a dog!
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/05 18:42:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

quote:

tdj_tx,

Tried your hot dog sauce recipe with a couple of modifications. I used four cups of water and five two ounce hot dogs in place of four. I normally like to fry the dogs and lightly toast the buns. This time I boiled the dogs and steamed the buns in order to see how close the finished product would be to those at Dallas Hot Weiners in Kingston, NY. Some spicey brown mustard, chopped onions, your sauce, and I thought I was in Kingston. Very good recipe, thank you.

Glad you liked it John A! Great pics too, looks just like the ones I used to get in Kingston. I also loved how the waitresses would holler the orders to the cooks, and the cook would line the buns up his arm. I'm going to have to thaw some sauce out and have me some hot wieners tonight.

tdj_tx,
I'm making your Sauce Recipe as we speak! ( With some modifications, of course)! The Whole house smells great! I uses 2 cans of Beef Broth and 1 can of Vegetable Broth + water to make a total of 8 cups of liquid. I used one package, 12 oz, of Hebrew National Beef Franks and added about a 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion. I didn't deviate on the seasonings except the Paprika. I didn't have any. I haven't added the Cornstarch yet, but it looks awful soupy.It Tastes great!!!Have you ever used Masa Herena as a thickener? I hope the Cornstarch does the job. Gotta go do the Cornstarch. Pray for me!!

I'm back! Did the Cornstarch thing, boiled and stirred for 10 minutes. It's still on the soupy side but I can see it's going to work and it tastes great! It's been years since I lived back East but the aroma of this sauce brought it all back to Me. I've been used to the thicker, meatier Chili Sauces of the Southwest that I almost forgot what the real deal Back East Texas Sauce tasted like. Guess what's on the menu tonite!!! Ic think I'm going to try a combo sauce next time by using this recipe and adding some finely chopped ground beef to the pot and see what that tastes like. Texas Lunch Affectionaidos will probably jump in their covered wagons and come out here and hunt me down like a dog!

Why not make a light roux and add it to thicken it?...Russ
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10411
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/05 18:51:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

quote:

tdj_tx,

tdj_tx,
I'm making your Sauce Recipe as we speak! ( With some modifications, of course)! The Whole house smells great! I uses 2 cans of Beef Broth and 1 can of Vegetable Broth + water to make a total of 8 cups of liquid. I used one package, 12 oz, of Hebrew National Beef Franks and added about a 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion. I didn't deviate on the seasonings except the Paprika. I didn't have any. I haven't added the Cornstarch yet, but it looks awful soupy.It Tastes great!!!Have you ever used Masa Herena as a thickener? I hope the Cornstarch does the job. Gotta go do the Cornstarch. Pray for me!!

I'm back! Did the Cornstarch thing, boiled and stirred for 10 minutes. It's still on the soupy side but I can see it's going to work and it tastes great! It's been years since I lived back East but the aroma of this sauce brought it all back to Me. I've been used to the thicker, meatier Chili Sauces of the Southwest that I almost forgot what the real deal Back East Texas Sauce tasted like. Guess what's on the menu tonite!!! Ic think I'm going to try a combo sauce next time by using this recipe and adding some finely chopped ground beef to the pot and see what that tastes like. Texas Lunch Affectionaidos will probably jump in their covered wagons and come out here and hunt me down like a dog!

Why not make a light roux and add it to thicken it?...Russ

Russ,
If I did that, would we call it a "Cajun-Texas Lunch-Chili, East-Southwest Combo Hot Dog, Hold the Beans, Sauce"??
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/05 19:18:30 (permalink)
quote:

tdj_tx,
I'm making your Sauce Recipe as we speak! ( With some modifications, of course)! The Whole house smells great! I used 2 cans of Beef Broth and 1 can of Vegetable Broth + water to make a total of 8 cups of liquid. I used one package, 12 oz, of Hebrew National Beef Franks and added about a 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion. I didn't deviate on the seasonings except the Paprika. I didn't have any. I haven't added the Cornstarch yet, but it looks awful soupy.It Tastes great!!!Have you ever used Masa Herena as a thickener? I hope the Cornstarch does the job. Gotta go do the Cornstarch. Pray for me!!

I'm back! Did the Cornstarch thing, boiled and stirred for 10 minutes. It's still on the soupy side but I can see it's going to work and it tastes great! It's been years since I lived back East but the aroma of this sauce brought it all back to Me. I've been so used to the thicker, meatier Chili Sauces of the Southwest that I almost forgot what the real deal Back East Texas Sauce tasted like. Guess what's on the menu tonite!!! I think I'm going to try a combo sauce next time by using this recipe and adding some finely chopped ground beef to the pot and see what that tastes like. Texas Lunch Affectionaidos will probably jump in their covered wagons and come out here and hunt me down like a dog!

Hey thanks for giving it a try, it does smell great. The broths you use would add to the flavor but the original hotdog joints wouldn't use them, costs to much. Did you watch the video I uploaded to youtube? It shows just what it should look like after adding the corn starch. You do have to bring the sauce to a boil after adding it. I usually just keep adding it until the desired thickness is achieved.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1