Hot!Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10093
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/05 21:39:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tdj_tx

quote:

tdj_tx,
I'm making your Sauce Recipe as we speak! ( With some modifications, of course)! The Whole house smells great! I used 2 cans of Beef Broth and 1 can of Vegetable Broth + water to make a total of 8 cups of liquid. I used one package, 12 oz, of Hebrew National Beef Franks and added about a 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion. I didn't deviate on the seasonings except the Paprika. I didn't have any. I haven't added the Cornstarch yet, but it looks awful soupy.It Tastes great!!!Have you ever used Masa Herena as a thickener? I hope the Cornstarch does the job. Gotta go do the Cornstarch. Pray for me!!

I'm back! Did the Cornstarch thing, boiled and stirred for 10 minutes. It's still on the soupy side but I can see it's going to work and it tastes great! It's been years since I lived back East but the aroma of this sauce brought it all back to Me. I've been so used to the thicker, meatier Chili Sauces of the Southwest that I almost forgot what the real deal Back East Texas Sauce tasted like. Guess what's on the menu tonite!!! I think I'm going to try a combo sauce next time by using this recipe and adding some finely chopped ground beef to the pot and see what that tastes like. Texas Lunch Affectionaidos will probably jump in their covered wagons and come out here and hunt me down like a dog!

Hey thanks for giving it a try, it does smell great. The broths you use would add to the flavor but the original hotdog joints wouldn't use them, costs to much. Did you watch the video I uploaded to youtube? It shows just what it should look like after adding the corn starch. You do have to bring the sauce to a boil after adding it. I usually just keep adding it until the desired thickness is achieved.

I just took 1/2 the batch over to my son's house and he went crazy! This is a similiar sauce that he would get in Hoover AL, (Suburb of Birmingham) at Gus's Hot Dogs when he lived there!. He was thrilled!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/05 21:52:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jtdawg

I don't understand your spam comments. What makes you think I am spamming the board, is it because I used brand labels or that I might know a master chef in a city of over 6 million people? Sorry to say that even if I was a Juice or Spice salesman, I don't believe it would make me rich using brand names in my post.

JFYI, I went to the restarant to spy because the master chef said that most mom & pops restaurants don't hide the incredients they use in their food preparation. Sure enough there was OJ (SD for Tom) in the cooler. The spices were not on display so I don't know what they use, so I had to search local grocers to see what they might sell and this is where I found the curry with the same incredients. Still I don't know if they are in the same portions that the restaurant uses. While an electron microscope can help you determine a particular spice and it's texture, its hard to count the items on a slide to determine portions.

I am fairly sure the restaurant gets most of their food products from Sysco Foods (opps more Spam so I must work for Sysco) judging by the number of Sysco empty boxes lying around, so if someone works for Sysco and was to pull one of the orders we would all know what type of hamburger, weiners, buns, etc. many of these joints use.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jtdawg

Tom,

I received a copy of your recipe a few years ago and while it is very good, it wasn't quite the same as the restaurant I visited often when I lived in New York. In my quest to determine the ingredients I had a sample of the sauce analyzed by a master chef and he determined the following:

<Master Chef Notes>
The list of spices used in this sample sauce recipe are....

Beef particles
Grease from food preparation
Onion Dehydrated - Ground
* Ginger Root - Ground
* Bay Powder - Fragmented Leaf Powder
* Celery Seed ( or similar ) - Ground Fine
* Black Pepper - Coarse Grind
* Turmeric - Ground
* Nutmeg - Ground
* Coriander - Powder
* Cloves - Powder
* Fenugree -Powder
* Red Peppers (probably shredded)
* Cumin flakes (probably shredded)
** Citric Acid

* These spices are all found in McCormicks Curry seasoning
** The local restaurant sells Sunny D'Light

The spices are probably a mild curry mix available through a Greek grocer with the above ingredients. This is probably a good starting point.

The sauce probably is made from leftovers in the kitchen with spices and a thickening agent is used (probably flour). It appears to be more gravy like than chili. So the guess is it starts out as a roux of equal parts of leftover grease from the hamburgers and hot dog preparations and flour. Once the roux has cooked to a light brown, the the spices are added and the roux is allowed to absorbed the flavors for two to three minutes before water and OJ are added.

There appears to be more cloves than what is found in the typical curry mixes.
</Master Chef Notes>

I checked local grocers (not Greek) in the area and discovered that all of these ingredients are found in McCormicks Curry mix. The citric acid probably comes from orange juice or in the case of this particular restaurant, Sunny D'Light.

If I were to guess the recipe goes something like this:

Prepare a light to medium brown Roux using the following:
1/2 Cup of lard (restaurant uses grease drippings with beef particles from food preparation)
1/2 Cup of flour

When Roux is at the desired color, remove from heat and add the following seasonings:
2-3 TSP of Curry powder
1-2 TSP of Cloves powder

Allow the Roux to absorb the seasoning's flavors for 2-4 minutes then add the liquids and hot dogs grounds
4-6 Grilled hot dogs (processed with a food processor or finely chopped as the restaurant probably uses leftover dogs)
8 Cups of water
1/2 Cup of Sunny D'Light or OJ

Return to heat and bring to near boiling and keep stirring so the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan and until the consistency of a light gravy is achieved. Taste along the way, adjusting the seasoning, salt or pepper as you like it.

spam spam spam, oh yea, and more spam

Jtdawg,

Get a Life! If you want to do a scientific analysis, get a job at the FDA!
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 136
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/05 22:41:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

Jtdawg,

Get a Life! If you want to do a scientific analysis, get a job at the FDA!

We settled this so it's not a big deal. All we can do is make the "Hot Wiener sauce", enjoy, and pass it on.
Va South Gal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/06 12:47:50 (permalink)
My husband grew up in Port Jervis, NY, and we always visit the Texas Lunch when we're there. I have tried duplicating their great hot dog sauce with no success. I'm going to try the sauce with ground hot dogs even though it sounds a little gruesome. Thanks! Also, we always go to Len and Joe's in Port Jervis for pizza. It's our first stop. The pizza is humble but wonderful.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/06 15:26:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Va South Gal

My husband grew up in Port Jervis, NY, and we always visit the Texas Lunch when we're there. I have tried duplicating their great hot dog sauce with no success. I'm going to try the sauce with ground hot dogs even though it sounds a little gruesome. Thanks! Also, we always go to Len and Joe's in Port Jervis for pizza. It's our first stop. The pizza is humble but wonderful.

Oh the ground hot dogs really make the sauce, it's not gruesome at all. Here's a link to the youtube video I posted that will give folks a better idea of what to expect. I included this earlier in this thread, but that was a while ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlLpxHzJg-4
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/06 15:34:54 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Va South Gal

Oh the ground hot dogs really make the sauce, it's not gruesome at all. Here's a link to the youtube video I posted that will give folks a better idea of what to expect. I included this earlier in this thread, but that was a while ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlLpxHzJg-4

tdj_tx:

I'm going to have to give this a try, even though I have never had the "original". What national-brand hot dogs do you recommend, both for the sauce and the hot dog on which it is placed?
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/06 15:57:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

tdj_tx:

I'm going to have to give this a try, even though I have never had the "original". What national-brand hot dogs do you recommend, both for the sauce and the hot dog on which it is placed?

That's probably more of a personal preference. I like Hebrew National, but I've been using a new uncured, all natural brand called "Bistro".
There really isn't any problem with Oscar Meyer, matter of fact that's what Dallas Hot Wiener's used. As a rule of thumb, I wouldn't put any hot dog in the sauce that I wouldn't eat by itself.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/06 16:00:33 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

tdj_tx:

That's probably more of a personal preference. I like Hebrew National, but I've been using a new uncured, all natural brand called "Bistro".
There really isn't any problem with Oscar Meyer, matter of fact that's what Dallas Hot Wiener's used. As a rule of thumb, I wouldn't put any hot dog in the sauce that I wouldn't eat by itself.

sorry, messed up the formatting.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/09/09 00:32:28 (permalink)
Serving Suggestion for Hot Dog Sauce Recipe from Texas Lunch:

Bowl of TX Lunch:
Split a large, good quality bun and put it in a Shallow Oblong Bowl or Dish 
Boil 2-3 good quality Beef Franks, I use Hebrew National
Remove franks from water and split length-wise. Put on the bun.
Spoon on a generous quantity of tdj_tx Recipe Hot Dog Sauce
Add Chopped Onion (your desired thickness)
Cover with shredded cheese, I use cheddar
Microwave for 1 minute or until cheese melts and everything is good and warm
Use knife & fork and go at it! Serve with a very cold beer!
post edited by Foodbme - 2009/06/29 23:48:39
docgolf
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/10/14 12:21:34 (permalink)
I also lived in Kingston, Ny for 45 yrs. and have loved the sauce from Dallas Hot Weiners. I now live in Arizona and there is nothing like it out here. I am going to try the receipe for the sauce this weekend. I hope it is close. I always new the 2 secret ingredients were ground hotdogs and cinnimon so I know this should be in the ballpark. A while back there were some picture posted from Dallas Hot Weiner shop and I know guy who was eating the hotdog in the last picture. (Bill, email me)
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/10/14 12:31:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by docgolf

I also lived in Kingston, Ny for 45 yrs. and have loved the sauce from Dallas Hot Weiners. I now live in Arizona and there is nothing like it out here. I am going to try the receipe for the sauce this weekend. I hope it is close. I always new the 2 secret ingredients were ground hotdogs and cinnimon so I know this should be in the ballpark. A while back there were some picture posted from Dallas Hot Weiner shop and I know guy who was eating the hotdog in the last picture. (Bill, email me)

Docgolf,
We're neighbors, I live in Gilbert AZ. I've made several versions of this sauce. You can catch my recipes on here or I can email them directly to you. Welcome to Roadfood1 It's a fun forum!
docgolf
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2008/10/15 17:17:36 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

tdj_tx:

sorry, messed up the formatting.
I'm making your sauce tonight. I grew up in Kingston and know the owners quite well and have been bugging them to let me in on the recipe for years. They originally used Tobins hotdog. I am now living in AZ so if this is close to the original maybe I'll bring some back with me to NY the next time I go back. Thanks for the recipe!
Wh1teruss1an
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/06/10 17:39:58 (permalink)
Not meaning to bump up an old thread but I grew up in Port Jervis, NY and now live in Pittsburgh, PA.  I haven't had these hot dogs in years and i'm real grateful for this recipe.  I just made a batch and it was spot on! Thanks!
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/06/10 18:07:14 (permalink)
Wh1teruss1an

Not meaning to bump up an old thread but I grew up in Port Jervis, NY and now live in Pittsburgh, PA.  I haven't had these hot dogs in years and i'm real grateful for this recipe.  I just made a batch and it was spot on! Thanks!

Glad you made the sauce and liked it. Many people don't know what a Texas Hot Wiener is, those who do really appreciate this recipe. BTW it freezes well, I place about a half a cup in small containers and pop them in the freezer. You have to add just a little water to the sauce as you're bringing it back up to boil.
Wh1teruss1an
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/06/10 20:06:55 (permalink)
tdj_tx
Glad you made the sauce and liked it. Many people don't know what a Texas Hot Wiener is, those who do really appreciate this recipe. BTW it freezes well, I place about a half a cup in small containers and pop them in the freezer. You have to add just a little water to the sauce as you're bringing it back up to boil.

Thanks for the freezing advice, tdj_tx, the recipe makes much more than we could ever eat!  My family sends its gratitude, we're all a bunch of displaced orange county new yorkers, this brought a taste of home to us tonight.

tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/06/10 20:26:51 (permalink)
Wh1teruss1an

tdj_tx

Thanks for the freezing advice, tdj_tx, the recipe makes much more than we could ever eat!  My family sends its gratitude, we're all a bunch of displaced orange county new yorkers, this brought a taste of home to us tonight.

I guess this is a good time to post my new twist on another east coast favorite hotdog. I've found something called a "Jersey Italian Dog". It's two long thin dogs, like Sabbret's, tucked into a sub roll topped with frys and sauted peppers and onions. I've adapted mine to include home fried potato and onions instead of the frys, onions and peppers, then topped with spicy mustard and the hot wiener sauce. My family loves them. Give that a try.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/06/10 22:11:19 (permalink)
I'm thankful to our Texas friend for his recreation of the real Greek Texas hot Wiener sauce. I've made it and it really is the real thing.

But i have to wonder at his admiration of the North jersey Italian hot dog. With due apologies to our Texas friend and to that  guru of hot dogs, John Fox, and a host of others who love those monstrosities, I think they are an inedible abomination.

The Italian bread or sub roll is good, the hot dog is good, the potatoes are good, the onions are good, the mustard is good, but in combination they are in incredible bad taste.

Cheers, John   
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/06/10 23:30:20 (permalink)
seafarer john

I'm thankful to our Texas friend for his recreation of the real Greek Texas hot Wiener sauce. I've made it and it really is the real thing.

But i have to wonder at his admiration of the North jersey Italian hot dog. With due apologies to our Texas friend and to that  guru of hot dogs, John Fox, and a host of others who love those monstrosities, I think they are an inedible abomination.

The Italian bread or sub roll is good, the hot dog is good, the potatoes are good, the onions are good, the mustard is good, but in combination they are in incredible bad taste.

Cheers, John

John, here in Leander TX we are very lucky to have a pizza joint owned and operated by a family from Jersey, the name is Saccone's. They have provided the best pizza you can get this far south. The have the "Jersey Italian Dog" on the menu. I had it and it was ok. I tried the concept one night at home and used homefries w/ onions and topped it with some of the hot wiener sauce and it was really good. BTW I fried up the potatoes and onions in bacon grease. To each his own I guess.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/06/11 09:01:20 (permalink)
Texas Hot Wiener Sauce to the rescue of Italian hot dogs!!!!

Cheers, John 
fabulousoyster
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/06/11 09:38:56 (permalink)
Southeast Asian Hot Dog Sauce

1/4  cup Sriracha
1/4  cup deli style mustard.

Top your hotdogs with some vidalia mild type onions
Mix sauces, spoon onto hot dogs. Very good but it will be spicy.
Shadow955
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/06/29 18:11:34 (permalink)

Hope you don't mind me butting in but just had too. I grew up outside Port Jervis and would stop at Jimmy's (a friend of my mothers) Texas Lunch on Pike Street every chance i got and whenever I go visiting always make sure I stop for a half dozen. I do remember that the hot dog was a First Prize all beef hot dog (cooked on a flat griddle) on a steamed bun with regular mustard, chopped onions and an almost clear lightly thickened sauce with almost noticable meat bits in it. This may sound gross but, Jimmy use to line the rolls with the hot dogs in them up his left arm put the mustard on each dog with a short wooden dowel, spoon on chopped onions and with a ladel drizzle sauce over each dog. He would then turn to the counter and slide each finished dog onto wax paper then wrap them up. By the way he shaved his arm every day and washed it very carefully before making the dogs and this was in the 60's and 70's.  The Texas Lunch moved 20 some years ago down town into a refurbished car wash. The Texas lunch last time I visited was just as busy as it was many years ago. Hope no one minds me putting in my 2 cents.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/06/29 23:53:27 (permalink)
Wh1teruss1an

Welcome to RF! There's a ton of info on here about good food in the Burgh! Use the search feature on here. Put in Pittsburgh and you will get a TON of info!
post edited by Foodbme - 2009/06/29 23:54:48
Trask
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/07/02 15:25:32 (permalink)
Shaddow,
Nice recollection of the way it was at Texas Lunch. I ate there frequently in the early sixties while in high school at PJ. Although close, it was located just off Pike Street on Front Street. I do make my own version which is like most have described here. The pictures say a lot but I made much use of many napkins while gobbling down several of these dogs. The sauce, as I remember, spilled over and ran down the sides and onto your fingers and down your chin. He also made burgers with this same sauce added. I used to do food runs for folks working at Kolmars. Great memories!
Trask
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/07/02 16:36:57 (permalink)
Trask

Shaddow,
Nice recollection of the way it was at Texas Lunch. I ate there frequently in the early sixties while in high school at PJ. Although close, it was located just off Pike Street on Front Street. I do make my own version which is like most have described here. The pictures say a lot but I made much use of many napkins while gobbling down several of these dogs. The sauce, as I remember, spilled over and ran down the sides and onto your fingers and down your chin. He also made burgers with this same sauce added. I used to do food runs for folks working at Kolmars. Great memories!
Trask

Trask, would you be willing to share your recipe? I would love to compare it to mine, which is posted earlier in this thread.
Trask
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/07/02 20:51:43 (permalink)
tdj_tx,

I'll do my best but have never written it down. From my description, I think you will be able to make a worthy sauce.
I usually use the by-product liquid stock from when I make boudin sausage. This is a rich meat stock from pork bones with meat attached, pigs feet, chicken wings, hearts, liver, onions, jalapeno peppers, etc. So no need to add minced hot dogs. I add a coarse red ground pepper that I get from asian markets when I make my kim chi. Maybe some paprika and nutmeg if you want. Salt to taste and thicken slightly with corn, or better yet, arrowroot starch. I thicken the sauce so it clings  to the finely minced onions yet thin enough to seep through to the dog and onto the plate. I don't want it to just puddle on top like ketchup would. 
I usually have this type of stock on hand so when I want to make a batch of Texas Lunch sauce, I thaw out a pint or quart and add the red pepper, paprika, and starch it. I use a standard hotdog bun steamed, good quality hebrew Nationals or Nathan's, dice my onions and do the deed! I've been back to PJ and had their dogs at the new location but find my re-creation at least as good.
Great to see the interest in these classics.
Trask
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/07/02 21:36:04 (permalink)
Ok Trask, you've given me some ideas. This is the second reference to arrow root as a thickener. I think I will try a homemade beef stock, a little more crushed red pepper, and the arrow root. I'll stick with the ground hot dogs, it addes a texture that I remembered from the Dallas Hot Wiener's shop back in Kingston, NY. I have also run across another herb that I think is part of the original recipes, dried thyme leaves.
Trask
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/07/02 22:27:41 (permalink)
tdj_tx,
Yes, I think the arrowroot starch tends to reconstitute better after chilling and reheating although it is more expensive but not too much so. I try not to overdo the ingredients as long as I get a full flavor and the right thickness, color, heat, and salt content. Besides, making stock is fun and serves many purposes including a base for the Texas Lunch sauce.  I don't use red pepper flakes like you put on pizza either. The coarse ground and deep red colored stuff I use has the right heat and flavor that really works well. I find it at Uwajimaya or other asian markets out here.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/07/02 22:56:57 (permalink)
tdj_tx,
I follow your recipe to a "T"(As in TX)! 
I use Arrowroot in other stuff and it works fine--blends in very well, better than cornstarch and flour. If I ever need to thicken your recipe, that's what I would use.

tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/07/05 16:48:01 (permalink)
tdj_tx

Ok Trask, you've given me some ideas. This is the second reference to arrow root as a thickener. I think I will try a homemade beef stock, a little more crushed red pepper, and the arrow root. I'll stick with the ground hot dogs, it addes a texture that I remembered from the Dallas Hot Wiener's shop back in Kingston, NY. I have also run across another herb that I think is part of the original recipes, dried thyme leaves.

I made a new batch of Hot Wiener sauce this weekend. Instead of 8 cups of water I used 4 cups of beef broth, a full pack (12 oz) Hebrew National beef franks, and I added 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves. I left out the salt because the broth contained plenty. I tried using arrowroot as a thickener and was greatly disappointed. I used 1/4 C + 1 tbsp arrowroot to 1 cup cold water. It was thin and runny, tasted great though. I'll be going back to using cornstarch, plus the arrowroot is very expensive, almost $7 for 2.5 oz.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/07/05 23:58:07 (permalink)
tdj_tx

tdj_tx

I made a new batch of Hot Wiener sauce this weekend. Instead of 8 cups of water I used 4 cups of beef broth, a full pack (12 oz) Hebrew National beef franks, and I added 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves. I left out the salt because the broth contained plenty. I tried using arrowroot as a thickener and was greatly disappointed. I used 1/4 C + 1 tbsp arrowroot to 1 cup cold water. It was thin and runny, tasted great though. I'll be going back to using cornstarch, plus the arrowroot is very expensive, almost $7 for 2.5 oz.

Old Adage ----"If it ain't broke---Don't fix it!! I like your original recipe just fine. The beef stock might add a little more flavor, but What the He**! The original is just fine!!!!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1