Hot!Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 136
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/07/07 17:08:26 (permalink)
Foodbme

tdj_tx

tdj_tx

Ok Trask, you've given me some ideas. This is the second reference to arrow root as a thickener. I think I will try a homemade beef stock, a little more crushed red pepper, and the arrow root. I'll stick with the ground hot dogs, it addes a texture that I remembered from the Dallas Hot Wiener's shop back in Kingston, NY. I have also run across another herb that I think is part of the original recipes, dried thyme leaves.

I made a new batch of Hot Wiener sauce this weekend. Instead of 8 cups of water I used 4 cups of beef broth, a full pack (12 oz) Hebrew National beef franks, and I added 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves. I left out the salt because the broth contained plenty. I tried using arrowroot as a thickener and was greatly disappointed. I used 1/4 C + 1 tbsp arrowroot to 1 cup cold water. It was thin and runny, tasted great though. I'll be going back to using cornstarch, plus the arrowroot is very expensive, almost $7 for 2.5 oz.

Old Adage ----"If it ain't broke---Don't fix it!! I like your original recipe just fine. The beef stock might add a little more flavor, but What the He**! The original is just fine!!!!

I know it's not broken, I just want to get the recipe as close as possible to the original. I'm pretty sure beef broth and arrowroot are not included, just thought I'd give them a try. What did work from this experiment was the reduction of liquid, as others have pointed out, and the dried thyme leaves. I remembered seeing an herb in the sauce that I just could not put a finger on. After using the dried thyme leaves for another recipe it  dawned on me that was the missing herb.  So, I reduced the liquid to 4 cups, and added 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves. All in all I ended up using the same amount of cornstarch.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/08/02 23:49:18 (permalink)
Wow another great thread, that makes two I have read tonight from start to finish. Tom thank you for the recipe, your hard work, and sharing with the forum. Oh and it was very cool of you two post the video on line for everyone to see. Your an asset to the Road Food forum.
Jack
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2009/08/02 23:53:41
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/08/03 14:08:42 (permalink)
As to arrowroot, while it is a very useful thickener, because it costs so much more than cornstarch, I doubt the Greeks would have used it in their sauce.

And I'm amending my copy of tjd's recipe to add a bit of thyme.

Cheers, John 

tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/08/03 21:13:13 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

Wow another great thread, that makes two I have read tonight from start to finish. Tom thank you for the recipe, your hard work, and sharing with the forum. Oh and it was very cool of you two post the video on line for everyone to see. Your an asset to the Road Food forum.
Jack

Thanks Dr, have you made the sauce yet?
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/08/03 21:18:32 (permalink)
seafarer john

As to arrowroot, while it is a very useful thickener, because it costs so much more than cornstarch, I doubt the Greeks would have used it in their sauce.

And I'm amending my copy of tjd's recipe to add a bit of thyme.

Cheers, John 

I'm doing the same John, only adding the dried thyme. On a side note, I've been experimenting with the hot wiener sauce. I've used it to "fix" the Jersey Italian hotdog. My latest experiment has been to create a "puka dog" with the sauce. I don't have any video yet but the experiment is going pretty well. I found an affordable device to cook the dogs and make the toasted "puka" buns.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/08/03 22:31:22 (permalink)
tdj_tx  Thanks Dr, have you made the sauce yet?

No I have not and I have not tasted the original so I'm going in blind. But that said I'm in the middle of building a new stainless steel charcoal grill and have a bunch of events plus my normal day to day business. LOL So it may well be near the end of the month before I get time to settle down and make a batch. But I do look forward to it.
Thanks again for your continued efforts
Jack

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10284
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/08/03 23:16:45 (permalink)
OK tdj_tx,
I relinquished my previous stand and have adjusted your basic recipe to include less liquid and add the Thyme. I'll let you know how it works out for me!
post edited by Foodbme - 2009/08/03 23:18:17
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4534
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/10/10 15:58:28 (permalink)
I tried The Texas Lunch in Port Jervis today.  I found the sauce to be watery and void of any spice, no heat either.  I even had to add salt to it.

Great little joint, but the dogs didn't excite me.
Trask
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/10/11 18:28:50 (permalink)
Uh oh, sounds like they changed something. Didn't used to be like that. Used to have enough salt & heat for sure.
gmanbw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/11/23 11:06:33 (permalink)
I am also from Port Jervis, NY and grew up with Texas Lunch when it was both on lower Front St and subsequently moved to the Jersey Ave. location.  I was fortunately able to find this site when looking specifically for this recipe. I've been reading this string for the past few days and I am ready to try it.

About 10 years ago, I had to do some work up in Kingston and by chance walked into Dallas Hot Weiners near the office.  I was amazed how similar the sauce was between the two.  I specifically noted at the time that the Dallas Hot Weiner had a more vinegar presence than the Texas Lunch sauce.  I also remember liking it a little better at Dallas because of that.
gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/11/29 18:02:05 (permalink)
joerogo,

I was just there, and asked about their hot dogs.  They used to use Tobin's 1st Prize "Deli Frank" (not usually available in the supermarket), but several years ago John Morrell was bought by Tobin.  Even though the name is still there, the "deli" type they used is no longer produced.

They tried a number of types - with some "awful" results, but settled on using the Hatfield brand as very close to the original.  The person said that it's really the spices of the hot dog that makes the big difference.

Bob
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4534
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/11/29 20:08:20 (permalink)
gmanbw

joerogo,

I was just there, and asked about their hot dogs.  They used to use Tobin's 1st Prize "Deli Frank" (not usually available in the supermarket), but several years ago John Morrell was bought by Tobin.  Even though the name is still there, the "deli" type they used is no longer produced.

They tried a number of types - with some "awful" results, but settled on using the Hatfield brand as very close to the original.  The person said that it's really the spices of the hot dog that makes the big difference.

Bob

gmanbw, What did you think of their sauce?

gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/11/30 16:23:25 (permalink)
gmanbw

joerogo,

Bob

joerogo

gmanbw

joerogo,

Bob

gmanbw, What did you think of their sauce?

I thought that it was close enough that I couldn't discern a difference. I bought some and brought them to family members in Florida ( visiting in New Jersey) who grew up in Port Jervis and were very happy after a number of years of having them.  The Texas Lunch crew is very concerned with the legacy sauce; and for a while they were experimenting with various types to settle on a new vendor.

I'm sorry,  I am not familiar with the types of franks available.  My little discussion about Tobin's revealed that the "deli style" was not a supermarket version.  I was not familiar with the Hatfield name other than the "Phillies" official name; and I certainly wasn't aware of "styles' for wholesale vs. retail.  Of course I didn't want to "drill" them with specific questions.

My thought is that if you use a frank you like, the odds are you will like the sauce also.

Bob
gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/12/14 12:07:51 (permalink)
I tried a variation using the Texas Hot Wiener Sauce and cocktail franks as an hors d'oeuvres/appetizer.  I wanted to use it as a party food or football snack.

I marinated some of the franks with the sauce overnight or longer.  First I used  a canned buttermilk biscuit.  I separated the 10 sections, then cut each section in half.  Then I put a 1/2" piece of raw onion on the roll.

Then I tried it 2 ways:

First I put a dab of mustard on the onion piece, put I cocktail frank on top, then wrapped the dough around the frank/mustard.  After baking 10-13 minutes, I used the Texas hot wiener sauce as a dip.

For the second way, I put a marinated frank on the onion before wrapping.  After baking, I used the mustard as a dip.

Using the mustard on the frank, then using a the hot wiener sauce as a dip was CLEARLY preferable.  It really worked.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/12/14 12:56:49 (permalink)
gmanbw

I tried a variation using the Texas Hot Wiener Sauce and cocktail franks as an hors d'oeuvres/appetizer.  I wanted to use it as a party food or football snack.

I marinated some of the franks with the sauce overnight or longer.  First I used  a canned buttermilk biscuit.  I separated the 10 sections, then cut each section in half.  Then I put a 1/2" piece of raw onion on the roll.

Then I tried it 2 ways:

First I put a dab of mustard on the onion piece, put I cocktail frank on top, then wrapped the dough around the frank/mustard.  After baking 10-13 minutes, I used the Texas hot wiener sauce as a dip.

For the second way, I put a marinated frank on the onion before wrapping.  After baking, I used the mustard as a dip.

Using the mustard on the frank, then using a the hot wiener sauce as a dip was CLEARLY preferable.  It really worked.

I did some experimenting this weekend as well. I used crescent rolls and cocktail wienies.
For the first one I brushed spicy mustard on a small triangle of the crescent and rolled up the wienie in it. The next I mixed up 1/4 tsp mustard powder & 1/4 tsp onion powder and sprinkled that on the crescent and rolled it up. Bake for 15 minutes at 375 and used the hot wiener sauce as a dipping sauce. My son and I liked the ones with the brushed spicy mustard the best. Next time I think I'll try brushing the spicy mustard and sprinkle with onion powder. I did this experiment to see if the spicy mustard would add to much moisture which might make the crescent roll mushy. It didn't, the roll was nice and flaky. I also tried just simmering the wienies in the sauce and served with a mustard dipping sauce and used toothpicks to spear and dip the wienies. That was good as well. 
gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/12/14 13:42:11 (permalink)
I had 2 problems with the marinated franks.  (Maybe the fact that I used the biscuit vs. the crescent roll.)  The marinade kept from the roll sticking together as well as sliding out the side.  Also, the sauce was very subtle while dipping mustard was predominant.  Using the mustard on the frank, the package held nicely and the sauce became predominant.  I like your onion powder idea as opposed to a piece of real onion.
gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/12/14 13:57:49 (permalink)
If I'm really ambitious,  I might even use the dregs of the leftovers and try putting a drop of sauce and a dollup of horseradish on an oyster shell and see how it works with the liqour.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/12/14 14:02:54 (permalink)
I went to Pillsbury's website to double check something and they mention something called "Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations® refrigerated seamless dough". I think it's the same as the crescent roll but it's a solid sheet that can be cut however you like. If I can find it I'll give it a try. I used Hillshire Farms all beef cocktail sausages, which were ok but I would like to use mini hotdogs. My local grocery store has a really nice International food section that has mini franks imported from Germany, I think I will try these as well.
gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2009/12/14 17:05:07 (permalink)
There are a number of brands for cocktail franks in the supermarkets here in New York.  I tend to use Boar's Head or Boar's Head Lite.  They have a nice flavor and they also have lower content for fat and sodium. (Ah for the days I didn't need to think about those.)  They are somewhat different in the sauce though; but I did like it.
jonnyj
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/02/18 11:54:28 (permalink)
I was wondering if anyone has the recipe from AJ's texas hots in Jamestown NY. I see this post was created a couple years ago and was wondering if anyhting else was found. I am trying to perfect the sauce. I have a sauce, but there is somthing missing and i am not sure what.

gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/06/23 18:51:28 (permalink)
The original question in this string was regarding Texas Lunch in Port Jervis and the discussion gravitated to Kingston and the mid-Hudson in general.  I give all credit to tdj_tx which has a sauce based on Kingston and Dallas Hot Wiener product.  That is a great sauce and a good clone to Kingston or Newburgh.

I tried to recreate the Port Jervis version and I think I may have achieved that sauce as much as possible.  There are a few variations and Idon't  include vinegar in the Port Jervis version.  Here is that recipe:
4 cups water
4 - 8 ounces grilled chopped hot dogs (preferably all beef)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
2 tablespoon corn starch mixed with a little water

1. Bring everything to a boil, except the cornstarch.
  2. Let simmer for 30+ minutes
  3. Bring back to a boil and add the cornstarch mixture slowly in stages, stirring constantly
  4. Keep stirring for about 10 minutes or until the sauce lets your finger trace a line on the spoon.
  5. Serve on your favorite hotdog, with brown mustard, diced onion, in a steamed hotdog bun.
Again, all credit to tdj_tx
post edited by gmanbw - 2010/06/24 00:35:45
majish32
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/07/23 16:50:23 (permalink)
I grew up in kingston NY and im 60 years old and i worked at Uncle Georges Hotdog Shop on Broad Way kingston NY.The history of Uncle Georges Owned by George Andrews started in 1927.2 Brothers Opened dallas Hot weiners Shop Uptown Kingston.Several Years Later George Andrews Broke partnership with his Brother and Opened Uncle georges Hot weiners shop on Broad Way kingston NY.George Andrews Created his own sauce and lead people of ulster county to beleive this was a secret sauce many people try to duplicate this sauce it went on for about 50 Years of this Secretcy.George Andrews Retired and left his store to his son.His son got tired in the buisness and sold it to George Andrews Brother But,He did not give his Brother the recipie.I helped clean up the Place before it was sold and in the corner top of a closet was a yellow peace of paper with George Andrews Hand writing and the real original recipie is now in hands of me.I have a small road side stand and i create the same recipie with 1 or 2 changes for legal reasons.I will not Reveal this recipie But i will send samples of this sauce for a small fee.There are many different things he did as a Family man to create this sauce.And im sure the new Generation of dallas would love to get this recipie.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/07/23 17:40:46 (permalink)
Majish: Where's your roadside stand, and what days and hours are you open? I'd like to stop by and try your hot dogs sometime when I'm in the Palenville area. I think we'll be going up to Purling sometime soon for German food.

Cheers, John 
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/09 15:49:11 (permalink)
gmanbw

The original question in this string was regarding Texas Lunch in Port Jervis and the discussion gravitated to Kingston and the mid-Hudson in general.  I give all credit to tdj_tx which has a sauce based on Kingston and Dallas Hot Wiener product.  That is a great sauce and a good clone to Kingston or Newburgh.

I tried to recreate the Port Jervis version and I think I may have achieved that sauce as much as possible.  There are a few variations and Idon't  include vinegar in the Port Jervis version.  Here is that recipe:
4 cups water
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon thyme

3. Bring back to a boil and add the cornstarch mixture slowly in stages, stirring constantly
  4. Keep stirring for about 10 minutes or until the sauce lets your finger trace a line on the spoon.
  5. Serve on your favorite hotdog, with brown mustard, diced onion, in a steamed hotdog bun.

Thanks gmanbw, do the grilled hotdogs change the flavor? That's interesting because I bet the original recipes called for left over dogs from the previous day. I think this thread gravitated to Kingston because there used to be a Texas Lunch there. I'll give your Port Jervis recipe a try!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/09 16:00:02 (permalink)
tdj_tx

gmanbw

4 cups water
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon thyme

Thanks gmanbw, do the grilled hotdogs change the flavor? That's interesting because I bet the original recipes called for left over dogs from the previous day. I think this thread gravitated to Kingston because there used to be a Texas Lunch there. I'll give your Port Jervis recipe a try!

Having tried a bunch of recipes, I like tdj_tx's the best but the grilled dog idea makes sense. If tdj_tx is gonna try it, so am I. He's my Hot Dog Sauce Idol!
gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/15 10:31:24 (permalink)
tdj_tx

gmanbw

4 cups water
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon thyme

I remember as a kid/teen in Port Jervis I would see that the Greek (and then Jimmy) would pick up hot dogs that were grilling a long time and inspect them.  Periodically, they would throw them into a box next to the grill.  Originally I thought it was just garbage, but now I suspect they were recycled.

For the flavor - carmelized fat is always good...think of bacon!

As I was reared in Port Jervis - Dallas Hot Weiner was new to me when I went there.  The vinegar flavor struck with me.  I originally thought it suggested a Buffalo wing.

There's a new name for you -- a Texalo Wing Dog!?!? 
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/15 12:47:55 (permalink)
gmanbw

I remember as a kid/teen in Port Jervis I would see that the Greek (and then Jimmy) would pick up hot dogs that were grilling a long time and inspect them.  Periodically, they would throw them into a box next to the grill.  Originally I thought it was just garbage, but now I suspect they were recycled.

As I was reared in Port Jervis - Dallas Hot Weiner was new to me when I went there.  The vinegar flavor struck with me.  I originally thought it suggested a Buffalo wing.

I made the sauce last week using the grilled hotdogs. It did change the flavor a bit, the cooked dogs had a more smokey flavor to them. I grilled them on a roller type grill, like the kind you see at a gas station. As for a Texalo Wing Dog, I would deep fry the dog and dip it in a mixture of Frank's hot sauce and butter and serve on a bun with crumbled blue cheese! I might have to try that! You could also deep fry a chicken sausage and dip it in sauce and serve the same way.

gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/15 13:18:45 (permalink)
tdj_tx

gmanbw

I made the sauce last week using the grilled hotdogs. It did change the flavor a bit, the cooked dogs had a more smokey flavor to them. I grilled them on a roller type grill, like the kind you see at a gas station. As for a Texalo Wing Dog, I would deep fry the dog and dip it in a mixture of Frank's hot sauce and butter and serve on a bun with crumbled blue cheese! I might have to try that! You could also deep fry a chicken sausage and dip it in sauce and serve the same way.

How do you think the spice mix compares (except for the vinegar)?  I also use the AB Chili Powder routinely which gives the smoked paprika note to the sauce.

I think you describe a regular Buffalo Wing Dog perfectly.  I thought you would need the Greek influence to call it "Texalo".  Also possibly use Tabasco instead of crushed red pepper flakes because Tabasco is vinegar based where Franks is water and salt based.  Anchor Bar uses both.  But the Buffalo part sounds very good.  I was last in the Anchor Bar in 1995.
post edited by gmanbw - 2010/08/15 13:40:47
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/15 13:31:21 (permalink)
gmanbw

tdj_tx

gmanbw

How do you think the spice mix compares (except for the vinegar)?

I think you describe a regular Buffalo Wing Dog perfectly.  I thought you would need the Greek influence to call it "Texalo".  Also possibly use tabasco instead of crushed red pepper flakes.  But the Buffalo part sounds very good.  I was last in the Anchor Bar in 1995.

I think that if you left the vinegar out you would get something close to the Port Jervis sauce. Having never eaten the Port Jervis version I can't really say. Is there such a thing as a Buffalo Wing Dog?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/15 13:39:44 (permalink)
Is there such a thing as a Buffalo Wing Dog?

There is if you make one using the recipe you outlined above!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1