Hot!Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
gmanbw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/15 13:44:48 (permalink)
tdj_tx 

Is there such a thing as a Buffalo Wing Dog?

Not that I know of.  These are just inspirations.  I get into flights of fancy and try these things --- and frequently flop.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 136
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/15 13:45:23 (permalink)
Foodbme

Is there such a thing as a Buffalo Wing Dog?

There is if you make one using the recipe you outlined above!

I'll take that as a challenge! I'll work on that today and post some pics if it turns out to be any good.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/15 13:46:54 (permalink)
Since we are getting way off the original topic, should I just start a new thread dedicated to hotdog experiments?
gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/15 13:52:03 (permalink)
Sounds good!
gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/15 15:44:42 (permalink)
tdj_tx

I think that if you left the vinegar out you would get something close to the Port Jervis sauce. Having never eaten the Port Jervis version I can't really say. Is there such a thing as a Buffalo Wing Dog?

My point was if Port Jervis version is close to Kingston version except for the vinegar. The biggest change was the reduction of paprika.  Next was the inclusion of garlic powder, nutmeg, and parsley.  At the time, I thought they were the same except for the vinegar.

Of course, I could always make a trip up and see for myself.
Zilla
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/15 20:41:56 (permalink)
I read through a bit of this thread and this sounds like Michigan Sauce to me.  A couple that I know live here in San Antonio and they make it as a hot dog topping. They are from upstate NY. Apparently nobody in Michigan knows anything about it.
post edited by Zilla - 2010/08/15 20:43:15
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/08/16 00:10:32 (permalink)
Ok, I've started a new thread titled "Experimental hotdog recipes".
Trask
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/12/04 12:48:46 (permalink)
Here's a short video I just made to show the assembly & finished product of the Texas weiner we got from Texas Lunch in Port Jervis, NY. I frequented the place in the 60's when the Greek had it before it was moved about a half mile to the east.
Although the process shown here is laboriously slow (it took about ten seconds to get "two with the works" when the Greek did it) it shows the order and end result. I've always had the "how am I going to attack this thing?" feeling when the plate was set before me and never escaped without sauce on chin, fingers, etc.
I vary the sauce a bit each time I make some but as long as I get the right viscosity and adhere to the way the "Greek" put them together, I get a dog that I can't find out here in the PNW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szbmbctk-uU
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/12/05 11:37:39 (permalink)
We really enjoyed your video and the sandwich looks great.
However, Newburgh is not all that far from Port Jervis and the sandwich is constructed differently in Newburgh: first the hot dog on a steamed bun, then the mustard, then the sauce, then a mere sprinkling of onions. I doubt it really makes much difference in the taste except that yours has a whole lot more onion, but, it all winds up the same way - all over your hands and chin and a warm feeling all over...

Cheers, John 
Trask
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2010/12/05 12:16:34 (permalink)
seafarer john

We really enjoyed your video and the sandwich looks great.
However, Newburgh is not all that far from Port Jervis and the sandwich is constructed differently in Newburgh: first the hot dog on a steamed bun, then the mustard, then the sauce, then a mere sprinkling of onions. I doubt it really makes much difference in the taste except that yours has a whole lot more onion, but, it all winds up the same way - all over your hands and chin and a warm feeling all over...

Cheers, John 

Thanks John. I never had a Texas Weiner other than in PJ although there were quite a few joints around in neighboring towns. It is interesting to me to have you mention that the onions were used differently. I especially like the way they create a leaky bed for the sauce to seep through and also puddle on top.
post edited by Trask - 2010/12/05 12:17:52
Michaeljinva
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2011/01/06 12:15:13 (permalink)
I also grew up in Port Jervis, I have tried dozens of other restaurants hot dog sauces. The closest I have found is Johnnys Lunch in Jamestown NY. I recently visited Port Jervis, and visited the Texas Lunch. The place was nearly empty at lunch time on a weekday. They taste nothing like what they used too. I have very fond memorys of standing in long lines with my Mom down by the origial underpass location. I was fascinated by the way Jimmy would line the buns from his palm to his shouder and fix those delicious dogs.
foglikecat
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2011/01/14 00:55:55 (permalink)
Hi,

I worked at the Jack-in-the Box next door (first job from 1970-1972), and hung out at Uncle George's allot...I wish I knew who was running the restaurant then....never had sauce like that sense!!!!  (with sauerkraut)  Do you know?  I would like to find him...

gene
parmm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2011/11/30 23:49:25 (permalink)
Zilla

I read through a bit of this thread and this sounds like Michigan Sauce to me.  A couple that I know live here in San Antonio and they make it as a hot dog topping. They are from upstate NY. Apparently nobody in Michigan knows anything about it.

"Michigan Hot Dogs" are popular in Montreal and Quebec.   It's basically just a spaghetti meat sauce on the hot dog.
You can get them at most fast food places or diners north of the border. Try La Belle Province or Lafleurs. They also serve it as italian poutine
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2011/12/02 16:59:38 (permalink)
Hello all ,
I have not tried Texas Lunch in Port Jervis as I have heard less than glowing reviews from there , but I do host a TV show on local access Time warner a few blocks from there and if I can get over there early enough will give them a shout next week sometime
Benzee
gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2011/12/05 09:15:09 (permalink)
I haven't seen any negative reviews other than the posts on this string.  I think it is amazing that the subject carries a string for over 5 years so far and represents alot of strong feelings about the subject.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10328
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2011/12/05 14:07:01 (permalink)
gmanbw
I haven't seen any negative reviews other than the posts on this string.  I think it is amazing that the subject carries a string for over 5 years so far and represents alot of strong feelings about the subject.

That's because everyone on here is an Expert!
gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2011/12/12 15:41:04 (permalink)
I always avoid the title of expert because an expert is defined as a person who knows more and more about less and less.
I think that with absence, the memory of a favorite food is put on a "pedestal".  I have had lunch in Port Jervis there periodically over the last 50 years and the Texas Lunch is fairly close all along - other than the hot dog brand change.  I can't see where they would change their gold mine recipe except when ingredients are forced to change such as the hot dog brand as mentioned earlier.  It's still Jimmy's family.
Demira
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2012/01/03 02:20:07 (permalink)
Hello Gene,

Please forgive me if this is a duplicate post. This is my second try.

I went to KHS in the 70s and enjoyed eating at Uncle George's on Broadway next to Jack-in-the-Box. Mike Andrews, a tall, nice man perhaps in his 30s with dark hair worked there. A previous post regarding Uncle George's history said his father, George, started the business in 1927. Many years ago I think I heard Mike moved out of state - Florida?

The last time I visited Kingston I ate a few hot weiners there. They were tasty, but didn't quite taste the way I remembered.

I am looking forward to trying TDJ's recipe. Thank you Mr. Jones!

Denise
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2012/01/03 11:08:16 (permalink)
Uncle George's in Kingston was taken over by Dallas Hot Wieners a few years ago. George's sauce is no longer - They now serve  the Dallas Hot Wiener sauce. They were quite similar, but  easy to tell apart. 

Cheers, John 
Duzypapuga
Junior Burger
Re:Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2012/02/07 11:06:52 (permalink)
I have the original Texas Hot Sauce from western New York Texas Hot in Wellsville
gmanbw
Junior Burger
Re:Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2012/02/09 16:36:08 (permalink)
Would you like to share it?
woody3525
Junior Burger
Re:Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2012/07/01 20:13:59 (permalink)
Can I please have the recipe for Texas hot dog sauce.
Thank you
Jeannine
woody3525@verizon.net
gmanbw
Junior Burger
Re:Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2012/07/01 20:46:28 (permalink)
woody3525

Can I please have the recipe for Texas hot dog sauce.
Thank you
Jeannine

This string lists 2 distinct recipes in here - one for a Kingston NY version (aka Dallas Hot Wiener) and the Port Jervis NY version (aka Texas Lunch).  Which one are you looking for? 
allenc3
Junior Burger
Re:Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2012/07/29 01:19:55 (permalink)
I also grew up in the tri-state area, actually from Matamoras, right across the river. I ate many a Texas Lunch dog from Jimmy, especially when I was working at the Port Jervis A&P. All of us went to Texas Lunch for lunch. This was 1963-1966 when I got drafted into the Army and really never went back.

However, my Aunt Maybell (who passed away a number of years ago) was, how can I say it, a bit intimate with Jimmy back in the day,  and she got his recipe. I still have it, and make a batch up now and then. I have often thought of opening my own Texas Lunch down here in Florida using that recipe. Might still do that one day.
Some of the recipes I see here are close, i.e. you got the water and corn starch part, but thats about it. This recipe is simple and very cheap to produce, but none of you have even come close to the secret ingredient.

Claude Allen
Green Cove Springs, Florida 

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4214
Re:Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2012/07/29 10:55:32 (permalink)
Wolf (Wolf Brand Chili) makes a "Texas-style" chili sauce for hotdogs that is both quite tasty and cheap as dirt ( 50 cents at the local Wal-Mart).  And it heats up faster than you can cook your dogs or toast your buns.

http://www.wolfbrandchili.com/our-products
(That said, IMHO, nothing beats the Coney Sauce made by M&P Coney Island, New Castle, PA.  Their's is definitely NOT "Texas-style").
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/07/29 11:04:01
allenc3
Junior Burger
Re:Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2012/07/29 17:39:52 (permalink)
That one mistake people make on the Texas lunch sauce, it is not a chili sauce. It is a hotdog sauce.

Claude
RHutch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2013/04/01 22:53:55 (permalink)
Maybe time has changed, maybe it's a twitch in my memory. Forty-Five years ago, in Poughkeepsie, a weekend grocery trip of 30 or so miles one way, usually led to lunch at various places, Texas Lunch, Carroll's, Lum's and then a quick dash down by the Mid-Hudson Bridge to eat and watch activity on the river. My recollection of that sauce was I spicy sauce over sliced onions that had been brewing for hours. the onions were the star because of the cross migration of flavor with the sauce which was on the thin side. the bunned dog was laid over with this combo that was thick enough to hang onto the onions but not saturate the bun. Even a 10-15 minute ride left a fairly sturdy bun, although one-handing it might not be possible, I forget. But the long simmered onions on the dog and whatever sauce that came along for the ride, plus mustard was da nutz. If their was ground beef in it, it was a minor component, Nothing else was needed or missed. My sporadic visits back there since left me with very rare chance to visit there. And in searching the Inet, I rediscoverd Roadfood and this thread. Other condiments could be added but a simplistic joy as is presented above.
Now, living in TX, I'm gonna peruse this thread and see if my taste buds can help me recall then and present to new tasters something different.

Now, beat this site for "Texas" outta Portchester which was good and open late with it's gang of characters. One visit  there, the woman behind the the counter threw a a bowl of their Chili con Carne in front of me with a kinda "wrap your lips around this" comment. She was sooo right.

H

gmanbw
Junior Burger
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2013/06/30 18:52:50 (permalink)
Getting back to the original post regarding the Port Jervis Texas Lunch
 (Port Jervis) recipe - the Case family decided to sell the business (for the first time since the 40's).  For those who remember and were fond of Texas Lunch food,  it was closed in December and didn't reopen until March with the new owners.  It is now owned by the Lutfy family of Milford. I'm not sure but I think they may have been involved with the Tom Quick Inn.  I have not tried it yet but they have SLIGHTLY expanded the menu.  I few people say it's not the same but just as many say it's great.  Just check facebook on it.  I know it is difficult to keep the topic on Port Jervis, but for us this is a big change.  Wishing them luck!
FergieSoCal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2013/08/01 18:20:19 (permalink)
Once mixture re-boils added cornstarch slurry is finished thickening.
FergieSoCal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Port Jervis pics from Jimmy's Texas Lunch 2013/08/01 18:28:59 (permalink)
   Great photo from Jimmy's Texas lunch in Port Jervis, NY.  Query "Texas Lunch Facebook" and click on Jimmy's photo.
I went there as a little kid and have great memories.  I see his hairstyle and dogs up his arm like yesterday. I can even smell it.  

post edited by FergieSoCal - 2013/08/01 18:31:59
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1