Hot!Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
Three x a lady
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2006/06/14 14:45:37 (permalink)

Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch

When I was growing up in Port Jervis, NY there was a place called Texas Lunch, which is still there, that had the most wonderful sauce that you put on hot dogs. I can not locate what the sauce is or how it was made, but it was the best ever. Does anyone know what this recipe is?

194 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2006/06/14 15:02:01 (permalink)
    Poughkeepsie and Kingston both have places called Texas Lunch (actually the Kingston place is now called the Kings Valley Diner) and they both served the same sauce and it was and is very good.

As to recipes, I've tried several given to me by friends (every one guaranteed to be the Greek's own secret sauce) and I've tried recipes offered here on Roadfood, but none have ever worked for me. The best thing is to go to the restaurant and buy a quart of the sauce to take home - it freezes very well.

Cheers, John
    Three x a lady
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2006/06/15 14:03:22 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, I live in Kansas City now and never get back east so I can't just buy a quart and freeze it.
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Poughkeepsie and Kingston both have places called Texas Lunch (actually the Kingston place is now called the Kings Valley Diner) and they both served the same sauce and it was and is very good.

As to recipes, I've tried several given to me by friends (every one guaranteed to be the Greek's own secret sauce) and I've tried recipes offered here on Roadfood, but none have ever worked for me. The best thing is to go to the restaurant and buy a quart of the sauce to take home - it freezes very well.

Cheers, John
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2006/06/15 15:37:36 (permalink)
    Well, I guess you'll just have to console yourself with some Kansas City BBQ - and that cant be a tough consolation prize.

Cheers, John
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2006/06/15 15:47:28 (permalink)
    Welcome Lady!

There are some good posts here about making that kind of sauce. Sorry but I don't know how to do the link. You may have to do what I have done with some chili's I wanted to duplicate. I just had to keep experimenting. I'm still working on Shanghai Jimmy's chili. I'm getting close though.
    Joe
    Benzee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1878
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2006/06/15 17:23:21 (permalink)
    Hello there ,

Another Orange County NY native . Excellent !!
    Give me a few days and lets see what we can come up with for you .

Benzee from Monroe
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2006/06/17 11:49:28 (permalink)
    Try this:
    Onion Sauce that came from a Pittsburgh hotdog vendor.
    INGREDIENTS:
    · 3 cups thinly sliced onions
    · 2 tablespoon butter
    · 1 tablespoon olive oil
    · 2 tablespoons cornstarch
    · 1 can condensed beef broth, undiluted
    · 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    · 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
    PREPARATION:
    In a large saucepan or deep skillet over medium heat, cook sliced onions in butter and olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Stir in cornstarch. Add beef broth and Worcestershire sauce.
    Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and bubbly. Stir in Parmesan cheese and heat through. Makes about 2 cups of onion sauce or topping.

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2006/06/17 12:26:52 (permalink)
    Dr BBQ: That's an interesting sauce recipe, but it has no resemblence to a :"Texas Hot Wiener" sauce as served in New Jersey and the Hudson Valley of New York. (Port Jervis is actually in the Delaware Valley)

Our sauce is tomato based, with bits of ground hamburger meat, lots of spices
    (nutmeg is frequently dominant) , and the onion is diced and served raw on top of the sauce.

Cheers, John
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2006/06/17 14:21:27 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Interseting sauce Dr. , I will try that! Always looking for a good onion sauce. Last one I tried was pretty watered down and lame. It ended up down the garbage disposal with alot of my other concoctions. Your's definately sounds promising. I'll let you know.
    Myway

P.S. I love stinking up the house with onion sauces, it drives my wife crazy.
    RosalieE
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2006/06/25 09:06:42 (permalink)
    Ingredients:
    1 pound lean ground beef
    6 ounces can tomato paste
    6 beef bouillon cubes which have been dissolved in 3 cups hot water
    1 fresh onion, chopped
    or
    1 tablespoon dehydrated onion
    1/2 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
    1/2 tablespoon dried marjoram
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

Brown beef in large skillet. Stir in tomato paste and water-bouillon mixture. Add remaining ingredients; cover and simmer for one hour. Serve on hot dogs with mustard and chopped onion. Sauce may be frozen.

I like to make it ahead of time and put it through the food processor

tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/19 14:42:20 (permalink)
    Hi, I just found this forum, this thread is pretty old, hope it's not dead. It is so funny I found this forum. I'm getting ready to make a batch of real "Texas hot wiener sauce". I lived in Kingston, NY
    for 13 years, my wife was born there. We live in Texas now, and no one here has ever heard of Texas hot wiener sauce. It seems like an upstate NY thing. I used to eat at Texas Lunch in Kingston all the time, I worked for IBM right next door. My favorite hot wiener joint was Dallas Hot Wieners in uptown Kingston, I would order five of those things and eat every one of them. One of my best friends family once owned a deli there, they had a top secret recipe for hot wiener sauce, he would never give it to me. He did let me in on the main secret ingredient, ground hotdogs. I was visiting Kingston several years ago and was able to get my hands on a jar of sauce one of the local families sold at Adam's market. The ingredients were listed on the jar. I simply "reverse engineered" it using the ground hotdogs as the key ingredient. After years of tweaking I have the sauce we all know and love. My wife begs me to make this from time to time, so I make up a batch and freeze cups of it, then vacuum seal them. They freeze well. I'm searching for my hand written cookbook right now. If there is any interest in the recipe I'll post it here. It is so good I almost started selling the recipe on ebay for $1, after doing some research I came to the conclusion, not to many people even know what this sauce is.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/19 15:56:19 (permalink)
    Post away! I collect chili dog sauce recipes.. Always happy to add another one to my vast collection..
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/19 17:21:42 (permalink)
    Welcome Tex ,

I lice in Monroe , fire away with the recipe it will be much appreciated by all on here .
    We had a Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour last spring and included
    Coney Island Rear , Middletown
    Petes Hot Dogs and Newburgh Lunch in Newburgh
    among others .

Our 2008 tour hopes to include one or more of the Kingston locations

Benzee

tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/19 18:02:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the welcome. No hotdog tour of the Mid-Hudson Valley would be complete without a stop at Dallas Hot Wieners on North Front street in Kingston. I'm not even sure if it's still open, haven't been up there in a while. I found my recipe book and started making the sauce this afternoon. I decided to video tape some of it, if it looks good I'll post some footage up on youtube.com, that way folks can see what the sauce should look like, and post comments.
    Buddy Dek
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/19 18:26:59 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Three x a lady

When I was growing up in Port Jervis, NY there was a place called Texas Lunch, which is still there, that had the most wonderful sauce that you put on hot dogs. I can not locate what the sauce is or how it was made, but it was the best ever. Does anyone know what this recipe is?

Try anyone of these receipes and see if they fit the bill.I have tried several with different meats,chopped chunks or ground beef and I have never tasted anything like them. They make any hot dog explode with flavor and the sauce itself is not too hot.I did make sure that I had all ingredients in advance.These receipes sound like the type you may be looking for.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?q=Ospidillo+%232

Buddy
    tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/19 18:53:05 (permalink)
    Sorry, none of these recipes are even close. Believe me I have been searching the web for years and have not found anything that is close to the real "Texas Hot Wiener Sauce" that folks here are talking about. The first misconception is that this is a "chili dog" recipe, it is not. The sauce is red-ish brown, with a hint of cinnamon, it is also thin. I've been making this sauce today, and video taping it. I'll post a video of what this sauce should look like, just wish I could post the taste ;-)
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/19 19:38:19 (permalink)
    tdj... Thought u where going to post the recipe??? All I see is alot of run around about everyone else's version..
    tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/19 20:48:15 (permalink)
    Take it easy man, I had to feed the family. My wife came home and smelled the sauce, and was very happy. I was editing some video of the making, to be posted later. Here is the recipe.

Texas Hot Wiener Sauce
    by Tom Jones 2007

8 cups water
    8 oz ground hotdogs (I prefer all beef)
    1/2 cup cornstarch (dissolved in a little cold water)
    1 tbls paprika
    1 tbls chili powder
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1 tsp sea or kosher salt
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp white pepper
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    a few grinds of fresh black pepper

Bring everything to a boil, except the cornstarch.
    Let simmer for 30 minutes, then slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly. Bring back to a boil, and keep stirring.
    Taste along the way, adjusting the salt or pepper as you like it.
    Serve on your favorite hotdog, with brown mustard, diced onion, in a steamed hotdog bun. This sauce will be thin, it is supposed to be, it is not a "chili dog" recipe. The sauce will thicken as it cools. It freezes well.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/19 21:43:26 (permalink)
    Thanks TDJ! (Tom Jones??)
    Recipe reminds me of the stuff the Indianapolis Zoo used to serve as Chili (by the bowl). Budget (cheap) minded chef used all the hot dog leftovers from the day before, ground them up and served it up... Hot dogs there where bad enough, but to convert the leftovers... Well, this is a family based forum...
    Also, 64 ounces of water, to 10 or so ounces of ingredients.. Dont think I'll be trying this mush out anytime soon..

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/19 21:53:35 (permalink)
    Thanks, Tom, for the recipe. We'll give it a try.

BTW: THW in Newburgh closed years ago. But, the fmily opened a new shop in Walkill last Spring and I enjoyed a few THWs there. When we drove thry Walkill last monday the place was dark, maybe they were taking a holiday off, or maybe they're closed. It's a shame that "The World's Best Hotdog" did not make it in Middlehope- not only a very good hotdog, but also an excellent hamburger.

Cheers, John
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/19 22:07:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tdj_tx

Take it easy man, I had to feed the family. My wife came home and smelled the sauce, and was very happy. I was editing some video of the making, to be posted later. Here is the recipe.

Texas Hot Wiener Sauce
    by Tom Jones 2007

8 cups water
    8 oz ground hotdogs (I prefer all beef)
    1/2 cup cornstarch (dissolved in a little cold water)
    1 tbls paprika
    1 tbls chili powder
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1 tsp sea or kosher salt
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp white pepper
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    a few grinds of fresh black pepper

Bring everything to a boil, except the cornstarch.
    Let simmer for 30 minutes, then slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly. Bring back to a boil, and keep stirring.
    Taste along the way, adjusting the salt or pepper as you like it.
    Serve on your favorite hotdog, with brown mustard, diced onion, in a steamed hotdog bun. This sauce will be thin, it is supposed to be, it is not a "chili dog" recipe. The sauce will thicken as it cools. It freezes well.

I though this was a tomatoe sauce based recipe. Was the tomatoe sauce left out?
    tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/19 23:54:16 (permalink)
    Sorry for any confusion. I only replied to this forum because of the Texas Hot Wiener sauce reference. If you've never had a Texas hot wiener from the Kingston NY area you will not know what they are. You can't just look at the recipe and say, "Don't think I'll be trying this mush out anytime soon". I have also mentioned, this is not a "chili dog" recipe, there is no tomato sauce, puree, or paste.

Ok, video is done and uploaded to youtube.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlLpxHzJg-4
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/20 07:41:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for clearing up the issue of this recipe being "tomatoe" (sauce or paste) based. All references that I had read about this hot dog sauce indicated it had a tomatoe sauce base.

As for this not being a "Chile" sauce, that could be debatable. The old style “chuck wagon” chile was simply made by cooking (boiling) dried chile pods and adding the meat and other seasonings (no tomatoes or paste). Much the same as you have done.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/20 07:43:19 (permalink)
    My first dog at Dallas Hot Weiners on North Front street was about 50 years ago, my last was this past May. That looks like the same thing, will give it a try. Thanks for the recipe.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/20 14:46:16 (permalink)
    TDJ.. That video did your recipe justice! Ok, so now I'm gonna have to try it out.. Looked darn tasty there! My apologies for calling it a mush... My favorite sauce is of the thinner variety, but looking over your recipe, I felt it was WAY too thin.. Just curious, does this sauce have a bite to it, or just a flavor burst?

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/20 15:44:11 (permalink)
    I have'nt had time to try TDJs sauce yet, but that type of sauce can be as hot as you want it to be - just add more red pepper flakes. When Macho was inbusiness here he made his sauce much hotter than the Greeks in Kingston do, and he told me he had learned the sauce from Uncle George in Kingston. But most of the sauces I've had in the Hudson Valley, North Jersey, and Southern Conecticut have been quite mild in terms of hot pepper flavor.

Cheers, John
    tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/20 16:35:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

TDJ.. That video did your recipe justice! Ok, so now I'm gonna have to try it out.. Looked darn tasty there! My apologies for calling it a mush... My favorite sauce is of the thinner variety, but looking over your recipe, I felt it was WAY too thin.. Just curious, does this sauce have a bite to it, or just a flavor burst?

Thanks Uncle, I had wanted to video this sauce for sometime, this was a good opportunity. You are right, just looking at the recipe you'd think this is nothing but hotdog water. It doesn't really have a bite, you can add as much crushed red pepper flakes as you want. My wife doesn't really like hot sauces, she loves this one, so it's not to hot. It does have a good flavor burst, and a good after taste. Like I said in the video, the sauce is just a component to the whole "Texas Hot Wiener" experience.
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/20 16:35:18 (permalink)
    It seems to me if you reduce the water and cornstarch you could have the same product with more flavor concentration and maybe a little less messy. I think I'll give it a try.
    tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/20 16:41:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

My first dog at Dallas Hot Weiners on North Front street was about 50 years ago, my last was this past May. That looks like the same thing, will give it a try. Thanks for the recipe.

Wow, I'm glad to hear Dallas is still open. I haven't been up there in years, that's why I've been trying to perfect a sauce. I've even had to find a recipe for "Black and White" cookies. I make them at Christmas time as gifts for the neighbors.
    tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Texas Lunch 2007/11/20 16:46:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

I have'nt had time to try TDJs sauce yet, but that type of sauce can be as hot as you want it to be - just add more red pepper flakes. When Macho was inbusiness here he made his sauce much hotter than the Greeks in Kingston do, and he told me he had learned the sauce from Uncle George in Kingston. But most of the sauces I've had in the Hudson Valley, North Jersey, and Southern Conecticut have been quite mild in terms of hot pepper flavor.

Cheers, John

OMG Uncle George's Hot Wieners! I haven't heard that name in years.
    I agree most sauces are pretty mild, they go for flavor not really heat.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1