Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/06 22:33:08 (permalink)
I forgot to add my little critique...

Galloping Hill- Nice pork/beef dog...excellent roll... 8 out of 10

Syd's- To me the best dog of the day..GREAT snap to it...tasty on its own with NUTHIN on it...(take THAT Chicago....lol)..I was impressed by the fact the little tie on the end of my doggie started to come undone! Nice home cut fries too BTW....and the burgers sure looked deelish too...lol 9.5

Charlie's- Not strictly a dog,but a sure different taste! The standard dog was ok....and those taters on the sandwich sure were good....8

Hot Grill...YUMMMY sauce...nice dog...what a great treat the freebie sauce is! Im going to try it on some Zweigles white hots I got here.... Great chocolate shake too...lol 9

Rutt's- Quite frankly,I have never been that much of a Rutt's Hutt fan...But it seemed to be OK....7

Someone say Connecticut??
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 10:14:30 (permalink)
I have pictures of attendees, not food, but now I can't seem to get them out of "my pictures" file and onto this forum.

After tackling the good dog at "Galloping Hill" and the excellent one at "Syd's", my wife and son convinced me that we needed to evaluate the other 3 and select just 1 more, even if it meant breaking away from the group. Sadly, we chose "Rutt's" because of the "5 grease stains" rating. The deep fried dog was just too greasy for our taste. We probably could have made the entire tour if we hadn't ordered a second dog (with a side order of coleslaw so the 3 of us could share this great dog North Carolina style)at "Syd's". Yes, it was as good as we had hoped.

IT WAS GREAT MEETING ALL OF YOU FOLKS AND PUTTING FACES TO SOME OF THE NAMES I KEEP SEEING ON "ROADFOOD.COM". Maybe I will again find myself in the area for some future roadfooder gatherings across this great country.
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 10:53:16 (permalink)
Hillbilly,

You were definitely missed on the rest of the tour. I'm glad I did the complete circuit, but next time I am in the area, Syd's will be my one and only stop. I could easily have eaten a few more of those skinny suckers, and next visit I will. I'll also have to remember to have one with slaw. Very good fresh cut fries and onion rings there too. The Egg Cream wasn't up to snuff, but you've got to credit them for having it on the menu. Throw in a stop next door at the Bakery for some wonderful Danish or Rugelach and finish things off with some take home delly from Tabatchniks, a perfect trifecta.
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 11:01:30 (permalink)
Yippee! Looking forward to the CT tour. Just to give me something to look forward to, can anyone tell me some of the places that might be considered? Danny's (of course), SDW (goes without saying), but how about The Cricket? Paul's? Swanky Frank's? Mr. Mac's?

October 30th is way too far away!
markolenski
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 308
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 11:16:52 (permalink)
Be sure to consider The Greeks in Milford. These are the same people that were in Bridgeport in the 60's
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 12:44:57 (permalink)
I am responding late due to craziness with my home computer.
Thanks to John for putting together a great tour.
It was a pleasure meeting and seeing
Hillbilly, Seafarer, Val and John, Signman and all the other hot dog aficiandos in attendance. Jane and Cheesewit, missed you guys.
Our party of four only went to Galloping Hill, Syds and Charlies, since we had a late afternoon committment. We do plan on completing our part of the tour with some hot dog eating at Jimmy Buffs, Hot Grill and Rutts.
My favorite for the dog was Galloping Hill. I liked the subtle flavor almost "brat" like. Syds dog has its place when in the mood for a spicy all beef dog. Since my youth was spent eating this type of hot dog, my current tastes are more toward the beef and pork, less spicy hot dog.
The Charlies Italian dog was fine. The "single" is huge, resplendent with it seemed like at least half a pound of potatos. And then there are the peppers, onions and oh yeah the hot dog.
The pizza type bread of a Jimmy Buffs or Dickie Dees is more substantial and holds up better to the ingedients. I like the somewhat greasier presentation of a "Buffs" dog, as well as the puffier, larger potatos.
All the stops we made offered quality hot dogs, all with unique flavors and styles and all very good.
I am looking forward to the Connecticut tour and seeing some of the same eager, happy faces awaiting more hot dog madness.
And thanks to the picture takers and pin givers, who helped make this another quality roadfood event.
crickett
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 14:41:38 (permalink)
I must say it sounds like you folks had a GREAT... sorry... time! I wish so much I could have been in NJ to join you. It made me homesick for some wonderful NJ "culture"! I really am enjoying this forum and will be watching and listening to all the conversation threads. Hopefully I can join up on one of the upcoming dog tours!

crickett : )
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 15:53:39 (permalink)
I am going to try tonight to put up some pictures - naturally my #$%&*! camera is acting up and so is my scanner. We lost power over the weekend and something went "kafluey" - I'll do my best!
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 16:03:49 (permalink)
Your "hot dog tour" sounds like it was a great success.........why not? Who can resist a good hot dog or two or three and meeting really nice people.
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 17:10:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

I have pictures of attendees, not food, but now I can't seem to get them out of "my pictures" file and onto this forum.

Hillbilly--photos have to hosted on a website before they can be posted here. Do you have a website you can post them on?

If not, I suggest using ofoto (http://www.ofoto.com/Welcome.jsp) or snapfish (http://www.snapfish.com/) or shutterfly (http://www.shutterfly.com/home/signin_newuser.jsp). Upload your pics there, and then post a link to the hot dog tour photo album here, like I did with the crabcake and cheesesteak pics.

Email me or The Mayor if you need help...

Meowzart
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15302
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 17:13:27 (permalink)
Hey Seafarer...Did you come away with some more quality Bourbon?
It does sound like you folks had a great time ...Again our Congratulations for making the event one to go into the Roadfood Journal !!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 17:27:30 (permalink)
Mr Mayor: No Bourbon this trip, but, if I come to the Cadiz songfest and ham eating soiree I'd sure be proud to help you do away with the juices from a good bottle of something made in Kentucky.

What i did get on the hot dog trip, besides a lot of good company and hot dogs, was a neat little hot dog pin.

Cheers, John
Bill M
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 19:07:33 (permalink)
It was great meeting people that have a mutual interest in hot dogs. My friend and I had a great time visiting Rutts, The Hot Grill, Tommys, and Jerrys. Thanks to everyone for a great time time and to the pin givers and John Fox for his coaching and transportation to the Elizabeth joints.

Bill
long dog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 21:38:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by booboobirdie

Yippee! Looking forward to the CT tour. Just to give me something to look forward to, can anyone tell me some of the places that might be considered? Danny's (of course), SDW (goes without saying), but how about The Cricket? Paul's? Swanky Frank's? Mr. Mac's?

October 30th is way too far away!

Be sure to consider The Greeks in Milford. These are the same people that were in Bridgeport in the 60's

BooBoo -
The thought is to do a variety of brands of hot dogs cooked different ways - not to get the same grilled Hummel's beef/pork dog from a bunch of different places. A family member told me last week that the Cricket is closing. I don't know the deatils.
Marc - The Greek may have its roots with Tomlinson's in Bridgeport, but there's no comparing them. I grew up on Tomlinson's, and the Greek's is nowhere near the quality of the old stand.

I'm open to suggestions from the board, but have a short list of far too many places in mind:
Rosco's Big Dog - Hartford
Capitol Lunch - New Britain
Guida's - Middlefield
Blackie's - Cheshire
Dino's - North Haven
Glenwood Drive-In - Hamden
Mr. Mac's Canteen - Milford
Legends Drive-In - Milford
Danny's Drive-In - Stratford
Cricket Car Hop - Stratford
Windmill Restaurant - Stratford
Super Duper Weenie - Stratford or Fairfield
Rawley's - Fairfield
Swanky Frank's - Norwalk
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/09/07 22:54:37 (permalink)
signman (or anyone else interested)

I love the dogs at Syd's, but they are fairly expensive ($3.29 including tax). What I would suggest, if you are in the area, is to buy some at the plant to cook at home. Best Provisions in Newark will sell them to you in 2 lb or 5 lb packages. They also own the store across the street. There you can buy the sturdier buns that they use as well as the mustard (Admiration deli mustard). In fact, Steve Keiner and his brother Dave bought some of these dogs before the tour on Saturday. To get the same dog served at Syd's, place the dogs in water (bring water to a boil, then shut off gas) and simmer for 7-10 minutes. Then put them on the backyard grill.

long dog

I agree that it would be a good idea to get different dogs cooked different ways. In Connecticut I've been to Capitol Lunch, Storrs, (grilled Rosol's dog, ok) Rawley's (deep fried Roesslers, ok) Swanky Franks (deep fried Hummels all beef I think, good) and Super Duper Weenie (Miller's split and griddled, very good). I have not been to Rosco's Big Dog, but I have had their dog (Thumann's on the griddle, excellent; best beef and pork dog I've eaten).

My vote for a few at least, would be Rosco's for one. It's a new place that has a great reputation as well as a great dog. I would also like to go to the Glenwood Drive Inn. They serve a long Hummel dog that is charbroiled. I had previosly thought that this was a Hummel beef dog, which, if it was, would be similar in size, style, and cooking method to Syd's and would make for a great comparison. I have since found out from the Glenwood and long dog that it is a beef and pork dog. Would still like to try it.

These 2 places I would very much like to visit. As for the others, any would be good including the places I've been to before. Long dog and the Connecticut people know these places well. I do recall one of the places, either Mr. Mac's Canteen, or something with a similar name that grew out of this one being named by long dog as one of the best. The Stern's also included one of these on their best of list if I remember correctly.

I can't wait!
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 837
RE: Hot Dog Tour 04 Recap 2004/12/05 22:58:45 (permalink)
It looks like the folks over at eGullet are trying to put together a NJ tour, if anyone is interested.

... http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=56763
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1