Hot Dog Tour of New England

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
grynch
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/10/22 02:58:24 (permalink)
Star, Its a tiny bit out of the area but there is always Caseys in Natick ( south street I think it is )
grynch
Hamburger
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/10/22 03:00:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by grynch

Star, Its a tiny bit out of the area but there is always Caseys in Natick ( south street I think it is )

http://www.spotstory.com/spots/show/72
Star0082
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/10/22 17:59:13 (permalink)
Thanks Grynch, I was at Casey's about two weeks ago with a couple of friends from work. It's a great spot and always will be. Tom
garcher98
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/10/22 19:25:15 (permalink)
Conte's, Bridgeport Connecticut!
grynch
Hamburger
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/10/23 02:44:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Star0082

Thanks Grynch, I was at Casey's about two weeks ago with a couple of friends from work. It's a great spot and always will be. Tom

Tom, in that case do you think you could mail me a couple of "all arounds" from Caseys??? I live in Switzerland now and its a wicked trek for a decent dog.
" />
Star0082
Hamburger
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/10/24 15:57:19 (permalink)
Grynch, I wish there was a good way to send you some. I would probably expect some chocolate in return.
Take care, Tom
Red Sox Nation
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/11/01 12:39:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Star0082

I just wanted to tell everyone that two, that's right TWO of my favorite places to stop for hotdogs are either closed or closing. I thought that I was headed to Southborough for business the other day and wanted to check and see if the Hot Dog Truck was open on Wednesday. In his website the owner tells how he is going to be closing and moving by December! He lost his spot to a carwash that the owner wants to build. Then, I headed to Framingham to stop at the Hot Dog Trolley, pulled into the parking lot and it was gone. There wasn't even an indication that it had ever been there. I asked the guys at the muffler shop where he was set up and they said that he went out of business overnight, he was there the day before. Anyone know of any places around Framingham or Southborough for the future? Take care, Tom

Well I had the same issue. Went to Trolly Dogs with the bride 3 weeks ago and decided to take my 84 year old mom out the following week on this past sat. The trolly is gone from the site. On Sat night Oct 27th we ate across the street at LaCantina at the bar of course. While talking to the bartender he mentioned one of the investors backed out so it closed imeadiately. Also found out that the Trolly is owned by Lee M. owner of the LaCantina and also the land the trolly was located. The bartender said its for sale $50K. Any interest talk to Lee. The location is great on a busy street (RTE 135). I would suspect to get that location one would have to buy that Trolly but I do not know that for sure. The Trolly was new and used for 1 year wish the timing was right for me I live one mile from that location and you would not have to move it.
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 210
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/11/03 18:46:59 (permalink)
Here is an interesting story...two women opened a hot dog stand inFranklin and lost the site, then moved to Bellingham. I remember reading about this over the summer. Have not tried it yet.

http://www.towncommon.net/tcma/archive/index.php/t-1513.html
mrcspkrlpn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/11/06 16:24:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by garcher98

mrcspkrlpn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/11/06 16:26:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by garcher98

Closed for over a year.
Star0082
Hamburger
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/11/09 15:45:13 (permalink)
I want to let others know my experience with two hot dog restaurants over the last two weeks. I stopped in Holyoke at Nick's Nest with a friend. I had introduced him to Nick's about two years ago and we had been there about 5 times since. We sat down and started in on our dogs and I noticed that the appeared smaller, tasted and looked different. They had always been plump, smooth and great tasting and today they were small, bubbled and didn't have that old Nick's taste. They were bubbled and appeared overcooked and it was only 11:30 a.m.. I asked my friend if he noticed anything different and he immediately said that the dogs were smaller. Shame, the place was always great. Now stop two. I went to Long Island Hot Dog and Restaurant in Worcester today to see how their dogs measured up to Georges Coney Island. I ordered two CI Dogs with everything, they were served with french fries, nice change but the dogs were only slightly warm, and the coney sauce lacked that great spicy flavor. I think from here on out I'll stick with George's when in Worcester. That's my two cents worth. Tom
Star0082
Hamburger
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/11/15 18:22:11 (permalink)
Hi All, Just thought that I would drop a note and let everyone know that I stopped at the Hot Dog Truck in Southborough today. It's still there although there is a great deal of construction taking place in the parking lot where the truck was first located. The owner said that he would be there until the end of the month and might move to another spot down the road for the month of December. He promised that he would return in the spring and to keep an eye on his website for future announcements. As usual, great dogs and great conversation. I look forward to his return at a new location in the spring. Take care, Tom
HotDogDave
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/11/16 10:10:55 (permalink)
Hey All, I'm new to this but I do love Dogs. I hope you all come by and try my place in Hanson, Ma. Dave's Dogs, 1407 Main st. I like to think I have the best Chili Dogs on the south shore. If some of you have tried my dogs let me know what you think. I can take it.
bigdog540
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/12/21 15:20:55 (permalink)
I went to the Hot Dog Truck on Route 30 in Southboro for lunch today. Today is his last day for the season. I spoke with the Hotdogman about location for next season as there is a car wash being built where he used to be. He's up in the air on a spring locale. He said he has about five or six he's working on.

I had 3 with brown mustard and onions. He serves a Kayem N/C 8/1 steamed in beer and onions on a toasted N.E. style roll. Good dogs, hope everything works out for the spring opening. He said he'll keep us posted.

http://www.thehotdogtruck.com/
Star0082
Hamburger
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2007/12/23 10:20:07 (permalink)
Hey BidDog540, I spoke with the owner of the Hot Dog Truck in November and sure hope that he intends to open in the spring, he sounded a little skeptical at the time, hope it was all the construction going on around him that had him doubting. On a lighter note, I went to Coney Island Hot Dogs in Worcester the other day, they were just as I remembered them, tasty! Anyone who is ever in the area of Worcester should attempt to do a lunch there. Take care all, Happy Holidays !! Tom
wickedgoodhotdogs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/01/01 18:31:57 (permalink)
My newest, most favorite Hot Dog joint is the "WURST PLACE IN BELLOWS FALLS, VT". "FAT FRANKS". Several different size N/C dogs. Steamed or grilled. Great hand cut french fries and lots of different toppings to choose from. Beer and soda. Nice dining area. Located right on Main ST, they are a must stop if ever in the area.

HAVE A WICKED GOOD NEW YEAR!!!!!!!

WICKED
bigdog540
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/02/08 08:58:18 (permalink)
Just an update on the Hot Dog truck in Southboro. He announced on his website that he has found a new location, about two miles north on Route 85 in Marlboro. Planning a March 3rd opening. Info is here..
http://www.thehotdogtruck.com/
Hagrid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/02/19 05:38:26 (permalink)
One of the best and most unusual hot dog spots is Flo's on Rt 1 in York ME. The place is tiny and the service is a bit eraatic. The girl will let in about 20 people, ask each of them "How many?", then go right down the line and ask what you want on them. The standard order is at least 4 wit sauce and mayo. The dogs and rolls are steamed to order. Flo's "sauce" is a secret, sort of a sweet and tangy molasass type. Mayo seems to be a natural with the sauce. Its only open from 11am to 3pm. Get there early because in the summer the line is 20 feet out the door. The price is right too, last week, $2.25 a piece.
Hagrid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/02/19 05:43:36 (permalink)
For those near Bristol, CT, try Frankies on RT 6 ( Farmington Ave). They have been there more than 30 years. The chili dogs are the best.
nicolem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/02/19 11:11:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hagrid

One of the best and most unusual hot dog spots is Flo's on Rt 1 in York ME. The place is tiny and the service is a bit eraatic. The girl will let in about 20 people, ask each of them "How many?", then go right down the line and ask what you want on them. The standard order is at least 4 wit sauce and mayo. The dogs and rolls are steamed to order. Flo's "sauce" is a secret, sort of a sweet and tangy molasass type. Mayo seems to be a natural with the sauce. Its only open from 11am to 3pm. Get there early because in the summer the line is 20 feet out the door. The price is right too, last week, $2.25 a piece.

Flo's is wonderful-we have gone many many times. Yummy!
SRB
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/02/19 11:47:32 (permalink)
Surprised no one seems to have mentioned the White Hut in Springfield, MA. This may be heresy, but I recently had a chance to check out Rutt's Hut in NJ, and IMHO the dogs at the White Hut are better! Check out the review on this site.
bigdog540
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/02/20 15:54:35 (permalink)
Spent the weekend in Vermont. I was able to buy some McKenzie franks. I've yet to try them, will update when I do. But on the return trip I stopped at Nick's Nest in Holyoke. The dogs and beans were great. I saw an earlier post that said the dogs seemed smaller, but I didn't notice it. The rolls are always nicely steamed and the dogs were really tasty. The baked beans are a real treat on a cold day. Prices were higher than last time I was there. Dogs were $2.35 and kraut or chili was an extra .35. $2.70 per is a little steep for an 8/1 dog. But this is a one of a kind experience.

The thing I noticed about McKenzie franks, they are produced in the Kayem plant in Chelsea MA. Kayem really has a lock on New England.

I was near Springfield too, I should have checked out the White Hut...
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/02/20 16:57:46 (permalink)
BigDog,
If you bought the pork/beef natural casings, that's a good dog. In Vermont convenience stores, they're pretty much steamed in those steamer/displays. I've tried all sorts of other ways to cook them to best advantage (charred on the grill, etc.), but the steaming seems as good as any method.

The Bear
bigdog540
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/02/21 08:41:02 (permalink)
ScreenBear,
I did buy the N/C beef and pork. The store I was in also carried the McKenzie hot dogs which were skinless, but I'll take the natural casing over a skinless dog every time. I cooked them up last night, slow griddled in a cast iron pan until nicely browned but not split, they were very good. I couldn't help but compare them to the Kayem's I usually get and I think they are quite similar. I think the McKenzie have a little more spice, maybe some sweetness too. I enjoyed them. I'll try steaming the next batch, I'm sure they'll be good that way as well.
bigdog540
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/03/04 14:14:28 (permalink)
Found a new place for dogs in Shrewsbury MA. 'The Edge' the old Edgemere Diner is now a hotdog stand. The inside of the place is pretty much gutted and they are cooking out in the back room. Opened today, 11 am. I was there about 12:30. Pretty busy for the first day, and there was the usual confusion around the startup.

They are serving Kayem, footlong skinless, 10/1 NC, and all beef NC. I had two 10/1 Naturals, one with chili, one with mustard and onion. The dogs are grilled, and were served nicely browned and HOT. The chili was mildly spiced, nothing exciting. The rolls are Coney style, not New England style and they were fresh, not steamed.

They don't serve fries or much else that I could see. No burgers or shakes, they serve bottled Pepsi products.

Prices were reasonable, $1.75 per dog and 2.50 for the all beef, which I will try next time.

I don't think this is any serious competition for Coney Island or HotDog Annine's but it is convenient on Rt. 20 just over the Worcester line.

Deadman31
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/03/09 22:02:31 (permalink)
NE Hot Dog Compnay in Everett, Ma. is gone. I went there two weeks ago and there was a sign on the door saying closed forever.
johnyquest
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/03/26 13:55:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bakman_01570

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just got back from Capitol Lunch in New Britain, CT. This place was recently reviewed by Roadfood editors.

I had a hot dog with their special sauce/mustard/onions and onion rings.

I am NOT going to knock the place but I wanted to say the special sauce was "different". It gave the hot dog a different "texture". The establishment definately seemed to have a lot of people coming and going. I found my onion rings to be quite yummy though I had to wait 3-4 minutes until they were done.

Its not a place that I would travel long distances to visit, however.

Just one guys opinion

quote:
Originally posted by bakman_01570

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just got back from Capitol Lunch in New Britain, CT. This place was recently reviewed by Roadfood editors.

I had a hot dog with their special sauce/mustard/onions and onion rings.

I am NOT going to knock the place but I wanted to say the special sauce was "different". It gave the hot dog a different "texture". The establishment definitely seemed to have a lot of people coming and going. I found my onion rings to be quite yummy though I had to wait 3-4 minutes until they were done.

Its not a place that I would travel long distances to visit, however.

Just one guys opinion

Unfortunately for most people if you didn't grow up on the stuff you just might not like it. I, however, did, and I love it. My mom was born in New Britain and even though it's a long trip from Fairfield, I go any time I can (good excuse to visit grandma, she still lives in NB).

My entire family can't get enough. I can eat eight. The dogs, sorry I forget the brand, are produced locally in New Britain, and the sauce has been stewing for 50 years (family joke). It is definitely, as the quote from bakman says, a unique flavor... But maybe just love hate. My brother went to central (CCSU) and used to bring all his friends. His roomates loved it, none of his (or my) girlfriends ever could stand it... It's kind of a must try thing, and I hope you all can love them as much as I can. You can take them home by the box, works is sauce (they get offended if you call it chili), onions, and mustard. My grandfather would always bring a box over to family events. Man I love the little suckers. The dogs 'snap' when you bite them like no others! ...the thought is making my mouth water.

Matt
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/03/31 09:19:54 (permalink)
I agree fully with DaveM on Speeds in Boston...great stuff. BUT, Sausage King in Nashua? The last time I ate there (3 months ago) I got a sausage from him & spent the rest of the night reading a book on the toilet. Not too impressed with frozen sausages thrown onto a hot grill.

There is a place on Rte 119 just south of Townsend MA nemed Larry Steamed dogs...pretty good for on the run dogs.

Speeds is a great place though...
rumsongirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/04/07 20:41:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bigdog540

Found a new place for dogs in Shrewsbury MA. 'The Edge' the old Edgemere Diner is now a hotdog stand. The inside of the place is pretty much gutted and they are cooking out in the back room. Opened today, 11 am. I was there about 12:30. Pretty busy for the first day, and there was the usual confusion around the startup.

They are serving Kayem, footlong skinless, 10/1 NC, and all beef NC. I had two 10/1 Naturals, one with chili, one with mustard and onion. The dogs are grilled, and were served nicely browned and HOT. The chili was mildly spiced, nothing exciting. The rolls are Coney style, not New England style and they were fresh, not steamed.

They don't serve fries or much else that I could see. No burgers or shakes, they serve bottled Pepsi products.

Prices were reasonable, $1.75 per dog and 2.50 for the all beef, which I will try next time.

I don't think this is any serious competition for Coney Island or HotDog Annine's but it is convenient on Rt. 20 just over the Worcester line.

is this place still open? i work just down the street, never see people there...what are the hours?
bigdog540
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England 2008/04/08 12:15:13 (permalink)
rumsongirl,
last time I went by there it was open. I think they keep some strange hours, mostly during lunch. Might be open past 3pm one or two nights a week, I think they close Sunday and Monday. There never seems to be a crowd, usually two or three cars max in the lot. If you pull into the lot there is a sign posted with hours of operation on the door. I just don't recall exactly when they're open. BigDog.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1