The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Hot Dog Tour of New England

Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 140 of 140
brickie

• Total Posts: 226
RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Fri, 04/11/08 9:47 PM (permalink)
Had my first White Hut dog today.
Great experience all around.

rumsongirl

• Total Posts: 31
    RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Sat, 04/12/08 10:15 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bigdog540

rumsongirl,
    last time I went by there it was open. I think they keep some strange hours, mostly during lunch. Might be open past 3pm one or two nights a week, I think they close Sunday and Monday. There never seems to be a crowd, usually two or three cars max in the lot. If you pull into the lot there is a sign posted with hours of operation on the door. I just don't recall exactly when they're open. BigDog.

bigdog540...thanks for the info...will try them tues and let you know...sounds good if they are open!

greenhalgh100

• Total Posts: 2
      RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Tue, 04/29/08 12:39 PM (permalink)
      quote:

John,

I like the Pearl. It's a spicy (for New England)all beef dog. They make a 8/1, 6/1, 4/1, 2/1 and a 1lb. dog. The thing I find different with them is the casing. Most of the NC franks I've had have a lamb casing. I find the Pearl a thicker, tougher casing, may be hog casing?? They are also a thicker dog. I think you'd find them mild. Compared to other beef dogs I've tried, Hebrew National, Sabrett's they are nowhere near as spicy.

By the way, BJ's recently started to carry the Thumann's blue and white pack, 5 lbs for $17.49. These are one of my favorites when fresh, the ones I froze picked up a perfumy taste. It may have been my freezer or the way I packed them.

Speeds in Boston serves Pearl, and he simmers in apple juice and brown sugar before he grills them. I've tried this by putting a tray of apple juice, mixed with brown sugar and horseradish mustard on indirect heat on the grill with foil on top. When they come to the simmer I remove the foil and let them simmer until I'm ready to serve. Then I move them to the direct heat, directly on the grill grates and brown them. This makes the casings nice and snappy, but not chewy.

There is a local chain, The Halfway Cafe, that serves the 1lb. dog. It's called the Safari dog, named after the HotDog Safari, a local charity event. This is one big dog. They grill it and serve in a special roll, like a sub roll, with a pile of handcut fries for $7.95. A real bargain as long as you have time for a nap after lunch.
      http://www.thehalfwaycafe.com/
      http://www.hotdogsafari.com/2006/index.asp

I buy the Pearl's at BJ's, but not all in my area carry them. When I asked the guy at the Westboro MA store why the Auburn MA store didn't carry them, he said they are not a warehouse item. Rather they are delivered by Pearl directly to the store. Recently the Auburn store started to carry them. They only sell a 2.5 lb. box, of 4/1. That's 10 dogs for $7.49.

If I ever make it to the NJ tour I'll bring you some.

greenhalgh100

• Total Posts: 2
        RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Tue, 04/29/08 12:43 PM (permalink)
        Believe it or not, the Market Basket brand NC dog is one of the best I have ever tasted for cooking at home. I don't know if they make it or if its a private label but nonetheless its really spectacular. It has a nice snap, its a perfect size and its spiced just right. Good Stuff!

I like the Pearl. It's a spicy (for New England)all beef dog. They make a 8/1, 6/1, 4/1, 2/1 and a 1lb. dog. The thing I find different with them is the casing. Most of the NC franks I've had have a lamb casing. I find the Pearl a thicker, tougher casing, may be hog casing?? They are also a thicker dog. I think you'd find them mild. Compared to other beef dogs I've tried, Hebrew National, Sabrett's they are nowhere near as spicy.

By the way, BJ's recently started to carry the Thumann's blue and white pack, 5 lbs for $17.49. These are one of my favorites when fresh, the ones I froze picked up a perfumy taste. It may have been my freezer or the way I packed them.

Speeds in Boston serves Pearl, and he simmers in apple juice and brown sugar before he grills them. I've tried this by putting a tray of apple juice, mixed with brown sugar and horseradish mustard on indirect heat on the grill with foil on top. When they come to the simmer I remove the foil and let them simmer until I'm ready to serve. Then I move them to the direct heat, directly on the grill grates and brown them. This makes the casings nice and snappy, but not chewy.

There is a local chain, The Halfway Cafe, that serves the 1lb. dog. It's called the Safari dog, named after the HotDog Safari, a local charity event. This is one big dog. They grill it and serve in a special roll, like a sub roll, with a pile of handcut fries for $7.95. A real bargain as long as you have time for a nap after lunch.
        http://www.thehalfwaycafe.com/
        http://www.hotdogsafari.com/2006/index.asp

I buy the Pearl's at BJ's, but not all in my area carry them. When I asked the guy at the Westboro MA store why the Auburn MA store didn't carry them, he said they are not a warehouse item. Rather they are delivered by Pearl directly to the store. Recently the Auburn store started to carry them. They only sell a 2.5 lb. box, of 4/1. That's 10 dogs for $7.49.

If I ever make it to the NJ tour I'll bring you some.

bigdog540

• Total Posts: 101
          RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Tue, 04/29/08 4:17 PM (permalink)
          Market Basket / DeMoulas N/C dogs are a good dog. They are made by Old Neighborhood. They make a beef / pork dog and an all beef frank for MB. Old Neighborhood also makes all the Market Basket kielbasi, chourico, laconico and knockwurst. They are based out of Lynn MA. Two greek families that have worked together for years. My father retired from Market Basket about 15 years ago, he was a meat cutter for them for the tail end of his career. That's where my info comes from. BigDog

Edited to add
          Just found this website;

www.thinntrim.com

kinghotdogs

• Total Posts: 3
            RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Fri, 05/2/08 10:58 AM (permalink)
            quote:

I have heard of Morrison & Schiff, but have not found them locally. I remember them from the 70's and 80's, and read somewhere on Roadfood.com that they were making a comeback. I checked for a website but didn't find any. If someone knows where they are sold I would like to try them.

kinghotdogs

RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Fri, 05/2/08 11:00 AM (permalink)
              [You can get Morrison & Schiff Hot Dogs through City Packing 617-442-8100, I bought them through them.

Also at the Butcherie in Brookline or Canton. Some TSop & Shops had them

kinghotdogs

RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Fri, 05/2/08 11:39 AM (permalink)
                Just dug up a number for Morrison & Schiff 617-342-7447

They also said they are making Salami and Bolgna now. It is the original family back in business

bigdog540

RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Fri, 05/2/08 4:02 PM (permalink)
                  king,

thanks for the update on Morrison & Schiff. I'll look for them or give them a call. We're getting to the good weather and I'll be grilling up dogs all summer. I always like to try different brands. I recently bought a 3lb. package of Blue Seal hotdogs. They are made in Chicopee MA. I've yet to try them, most likely this weekend. Blue Seal makes an excellent kielbasi that I have bought for years at Tom's deli in Worcester. But Tom's didn't carry any Blue Seal dogs. Found these around the corner from Tom's at Fairway Beef. They were $9. for 3 lb pack.

Star0082

• Total Posts: 89
                    RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Thu, 05/8/08 11:01 AM (permalink)
                    Hey everyone, I took a ride to Marlborough and visited the Hot Dog Truck yesterday. He was doing a booming business in the 70 degree heat and told me that things are working out well at the new location. The new truck looks great also. The dogs are the same as they always were, very tasty. My recommendation would for folks to take a ride out to enjoy this great eatery. Tom

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                      RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Thu, 05/8/08 11:27 AM (permalink)
                      And for those that aren't in the Marlborough area here on the North Shore we have a guy doing a land office business.
                      www.fredsfranks.com

I understand his barkers are grilled on the BGE.
                      Wish I had the love for tube steaks that some here have, but I may try his "Q" one day.
                      There is also a great spot for cupcakes a pitching wedge away from Freds.
                      Long lines at lunch time, but they move quickly. Chow Jim

bigdog540

RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Fri, 05/9/08 2:18 PM (permalink)
                        Scored my tickets to the Hot Dog Safari today. This is an annual event, with all monies going to charity. It's held at Suffolk Downs, all you can eat dogs, sausages, brats, soda and loads of stuff for the kids. $10 per ticket in advance, $15 at the door, kids under 12 FREE. It's happening on Sunday June 1, this year. All foods are donated and all proceeds go to Cystic Fibrosis. Hope some other NE roadfooders attend.

rumsongirl

• Total Posts: 31
                          RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Fri, 05/16/08 3:43 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Star0082

Hey everyone, I took a ride to Marlborough and visited the Hot Dog Truck yesterday. He was doing a booming business in the 70 degree heat and told me that things are working out well at the new location. The new truck looks great also. The dogs are the same as they always were, very tasty. My recommendation would for folks to take a ride out to enjoy this great eatery. Tom
                          is this the guy that use to be on rt 20 by williams pond?
                          if so, where is he....miss him! went to the guy on rt 117 in lancaster by the pond there towards rt 190....good dogs, not bad prices....have you tried him?

Star0082

RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Sun, 05/18/08 5:13 PM (permalink)
                            Nope, the Hot Dog Truck was on Rt 30 in Southborough for years and had to move this year because the old location became the site of a new carwash. Have to have a chuckle over his new location, he's in the parking lot of a Gold's Gym. Hot dogs build muscle!

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                              RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Sun, 05/18/08 8:45 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Jimeats

And for those that aren't in the Marlborough area here on the North Shore we have a guy doing a land office business.
                              www.fredsfranks.com

I understand his barkers are grilled on the BGE.
                              Wish I had the love for tube steaks that some here have, but I may try his "Q" one day.
                              There is also a great spot for cupcakes a pitching wedge away from Freds.
                              Long lines at lunch time, but they move quickly. Chow Jim

I went recently and I can say that not only is Fred a great guy, but his dogs are FANTASTIC! The charcoal & wood grilling is delicious (and the smell alone is heavenly!). Yes, long lines at lunch but worth it (or go a little early or late). YUM!

bigdog540

RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Tue, 05/27/08 11:07 AM (permalink)
                                A little update on the Blue Seal franks I recently purchased. I grilled these outdoors for Memorial Day. They were excellent. Snappy natural casings (sheep) very nicely spiced. They are beef / pork with veal and bacon, 7/1. The bacon adds an extra smokiness. One of the better dogs I've had. I found a website, and they offer online purcheses. Not sure what the shipping costs. As I mentioned in an earlier post they are known for their kielbasa, which is great. The dogs are also top shelf. I'm sure these are widely available in western MA. But in Worcester area I hadn't seen them until recently at Fairway beef.
                                http://www.bluesealkielbasa.com/

Star0082

RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Tue, 07/15/08 12:23 PM (permalink)
                                  Hi everyone, hope the summer is going well. I just wanted to let you know of a hot dog stop that I just discovered. It is named "Wag's Delicious Hot Dogs". It is located in Sturbridge just off of Route 20 West behind Burger King at the Yankee Spirits plaza. It is attached to the right side of the Yankee Sirits building. It is a "small" clean operation. They serve Kayem skinless dogs, steamed on steamed New England style buns. Their special is two dogs, a soda and a bag of chips listed at $4.80, comes out to $5.04 with tax. So the next time you are out in the Sturbridge area and don't want to spend lots of time and money at the tourist restaurants give this place a try. Enjoy!

trolleymass

• Total Posts: 55
                                    RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Fri, 07/25/08 11:36 PM (permalink)
                                    Hi all. Im new here but enjoy reading what you all have to offer...my wife and I just bought the trolley trailer that used to be called "trolley dogs" outside of the la cantina restaurant in framingham...we have renamed it "the trolley stop" and are hoping to open soon...will have pretty simple menu to start, but might spruce it up as we get our feet wet...alot of red tape to go through first, but hopefully it will all be worth it...hope to see you at THE TROLLEY STOP....Ed

bigdog540

RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Mon, 07/28/08 9:13 AM (permalink)
                                      trolleymass,

bigdog540

RE: Hot Dog Tour of New England Mon, 07/28/08 9:16 AM (permalink)
                                        trolleymass,
                                        welcome to roadfood. I work in Framingham and used to go to the Trolley Stop. One day it was there, next day gone. Glad to see you're reopening. What kind of dog are you serving? And post the hours you're open. I'll stop bye to check it out.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                          Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 140 of 140

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com