Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tywwia
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/11/13 21:17:59 (permalink)
all,

there is a new hot dog location in No VA - Windy City Redhots, http://www.windycityredhots.com/. It's a van located in a garden center on Rte 7 in Ashburn. I have been there once, had a Chicago style dog and fries. The dog was OK - I prefer chili dogs (of all the various types) or a spicy mustard dog, but since I have never had a Chicago dog before, I figured I would try it. It had all the ingredients, the dog was good, but for me, too many things getting in the way. I will leave it to real Chicago dog afficianados to decide if it's a good one or not...

rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/11/14 07:02:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tywwia

all,

there is a new hot dog location in No VA - Windy City Redhots, http://www.windycityredhots.com/. It's a van located in a garden center on Rte 7 in Ashburn. I have been there once, had a Chicago style dog and fries. The dog was OK - I prefer chili dogs (of all the various types) or a spicy mustard dog, but since I have never had a Chicago dog before, I figured I would try it. It had all the ingredients, the dog was good, but for me, too many things getting in the way. I will leave it to real Chicago dog afficianados to decide if it's a good one or not...

That just figures!!!!!!!!!!!!! I move to Culpeper for work and a new Dog/Beef joint opens up seven minutes from my old place in Sterling!!!! I think I'll make the drive up from Culpeper this Saturday for a Dog all the way and a Beef, I may even take a Polish back with me to Culpeper.
micciche57
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/11/18 09:31:58 (permalink)
As soon as i saw the post i headed down to Windy city Redhot's. He uses Vienna Beef hot dogs. Chicago style as the name suggests was built correctly but the ingredients were bland. Neon green relish was very bland. Also tried the chili dog and the Italian beef and cheese (known as the Cheef). i was really excited when he asked me "you want it dipped? " the beef was tender and juicy but the bread was not quite up to being dipped and literally fell apart. just a few fix's and the place really stands a chance of making it. Nice kid running the place.
micciche57
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2009/05/02 13:35:33 (permalink)

There is a new hot dog joint in Leesburg, Va.  Lesher's hot dogs.  Talked to the nice lady behind the counter  and asked her what style of dog they served and the guy in front of the roller grill said "have you ever heard of the Crystal Palace in Pennsylvania?"  I knew of the place but have never been there so i had no reference.  "well thats the kind of dog we serve".  Ordered 3 #1's   (chili, mustard, and onion) and 3# 2's (Sauerkraut and Mustard).  the other option was a plain dog or a Hamburger.  Unfortunately the burgers were not available yet.   I ate one of each on the spot and while rather small they were both pretty good.  Bun was a little moist from the toppings, but i've come to expect that in this neck of the woods.  They are using Berk's hot dogs, and their cili is not tomato based, just ground beef and seasoning.  My kids ate the other 4 dogs and were quite happy that i didn't eat them on the way home.  We might just make this place a regular stop.
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2009/05/02 15:35:32 (permalink)
micciche57

There is a new hot dog joint in Leesburg, Va.  Lesher's hot dogs.

How ironic as I was actually at Lesher's (28 South King Street, Leesburg, Virginia 703 / 777-3277) today after driving by the place in recent weeks and wanting to check it out. I hesitate to say this but my three-worded review is simply: WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT.

This is a shell of an operation in Leesburg's historic district and where its "kitchen" is in a would-be closet and its sole source of cooking hotdogs is one of those roller things ubiquitous to every 7-11 store in the U.S. The hotdog was seriously nothing special. This honestly looks like some type of "hobby business" serving the same darn thing I could find at any convenience store.

Too bad as Lououn County, Virginia could use a hotdog place or two -- especially as Leesburg continues to await the opening of its seemingly-delayed Five Guys franchise. If are in or traveling throuh this neck of the woods however, the aforementioned Windy City Red Hots trailer (no seating / all outside) is the place to go.

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4330
RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2009/05/03 09:28:44 (permalink)

That's sad.

When I lived in McLean, NOVA I always regarded Johnson's Charcoal House as where the "real Virginia" began.

They had a waitress that was once featured in the Washington Post as driving to work 60 miles from West Virginia even through blizzards.  She was the best wait-person I ever had.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10517
RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2009/05/04 09:51:56 (permalink)
In Glen Burnie, MD is Ann's.  The hot dogs are fine, but nothing special.  A lot of bun for the wiener, I recommend getting two wieners in each bun.  My favorite thing about the place is the atmosphere.  Of course, I may be a little impartial since it was a teenage hangout of my mother.

http://www.hollyeats.com/AnnsDariCreme.htm
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/05/04 10:47:48
i95
RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2009/05/04 10:11:17 (permalink)
buffetbuster

...I recommend getting two wieners in each bun...

It's all teed-up for you, Travelin Man...

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10517
RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2009/05/04 10:14:50 (permalink)
i95-
I obviously need to be much more careful in any thread that has your attention!

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2009/05/04 10:22:38 (permalink)
i95

buffetbuster

...I recommend getting two wieners in each bun...

It's all teed-up for you, Travelin Man...

Dear Penthouse Letters -

I always thought that the people who wrote in to your magazine all made up their stories until this one night when I was out grabbing a couple of hot dogs.....
i95
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2010/05/23 15:23:12 (permalink)

Actually, two updates here:

(1) The aforementioned Windy City Red Hots (http://www.windycityredhots.com/) is opening a second location this Friday and in the location of the equally aforementioned and former Lesher's (28 South King Street, Leesburg, Virginia, 703 / 669-8606).

(2) And in the category of "when it rains, it pours," a second hot dog place just opened up last Thursday also in Loudoun County, Virginia this time in Purcellville. The place is Haute Dogs & Fries (http://www.hautedogsandfries.com/index.html) and is located at 609 East Main Street (540 / 338-2439).

As the name of the place indicates, the place serves both hot dogs (griddled all beef Kayem dogs -- think Fenway Franks) and fries (frozen, yes, but both fried and spiced delicately and nicely as well as accompanied by a selection of dipping sauces -- think Pomme Frites in NYC [great homemade curry sauce!]) as well as milkshakes (although their apparatus for doing the latter broke on their third day of business). Checked-out the place yesterday and while I could take or leave Kayem dogs, a split and grilled version of the same served in an equally grilled (and buttered) New England style roll proved quite tasty so too the freshly prepared toppings (coleslaw, onions, chili, cheese, relish, etc.).

It will be interesting to watch this place take off as their seemingly purposefully limited and tasty selection along with their enthusiastic staff shows both great promise as well as a filled void in Northern Virginia's dearth of decent dogs.  

chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6189
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2010/05/23 16:44:31 (permalink)
OK, I'll bite on this old thread and boast that my 1/4 lb Hebrew National grilled here with a toasted roll, homemade chili and all other toppings available is as good as a dog gets, If you bite my dog, you won't regret it...I also have a Kunzler Hot Link much like Ben's Half Smoke that will get you in a right frame of mind...no brag, just fact.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 721
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2010/05/24 15:42:30 (permalink)
chewingthefat

OK, I'll bite on this old thread and boast that my 1/4 lb Hebrew National grilled here with a toasted roll, homemade chili and all other toppings available is as good as a dog gets, If you bite my dog, you won't regret it...I also have a Kunzler Hot Link much like Ben's Half Smoke that will get you in a right frame of mind...no brag, just fact.
What is your place in Emmitsburg?  I'll soon be making my annual trip to Keystone for fireworks and would love to stop by.

I looked at your profile and  think I know, but am not sure.

chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6189
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2010/05/24 17:03:30 (permalink)
eruby

chewingthefat

What is your place in Emmitsburg?  I'll soon be making my annual trip to Keystone for fireworks and would love to stop by.

I looked at your profile and  think I know, but am not sure.

Yep, Rhymes with Hubby's but with a C...I don't want to get in trouble
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2010/05/25 08:31:59 (permalink)
chewingthefatYep, Rhymes with Hubby's but with a C...I don't want to get in trouble
As I thought.  I've been several times but have never strayed from the BBQ.  Perhaps this time in June.

BelRose
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2010/05/26 09:37:58 (permalink)
The bar at Alexandria's Del Merei Grille serves Vienna Inn chili on their dogs, and the hot dog tasted better than what I have had at VI.  I understand that the chili dogs at Bobby's Crabcakes in Rockville is also good, I have not tried them as he puts beans in his chili. 
i95
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2010/10/28 18:09:37 (permalink)

Good summary of current hot dog options
in Northern Virginia courtesy of the October
2010 issue of Northern Virginia Magazine...

...including write-ups on this thread's
mentioned Haute Dogs in Purcellville.

John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2010/10/28 19:45:55 (permalink)
Thank you for the link. I enjoyed reading about the places in the article even though I probably won't get to any of them. I appreciate the fact that the writer mentioned the brands of hot dogs served at these hot dog joints. Too many people writing about or reviewing hot dog establishments talk about everything but the brand of hot dog which is of utmost importance. Many also fail to include how the dog is prepared.
McJeff
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2010/10/29 16:34:55 (permalink)
The only good hotdog place in Maryland that I'm familiar with is Zack's, located in the White Marsh/Dundalk area.  They do a wide variety of hotdogs, including Chicago dogs.  Having never tried a Chicago dog actually from Chicago I can't say for sure, but Zack's dogs look like the genuine article, they advertise Vienna Beef franks on the walls, and they're delicious.  

Pollock Johnny's might be worth a try though.  I've never had the hotdogs there before though, only the polish sausages.  And go to the Lexington Market or Washington Avenue locations, not the one in Security Mall.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2010/11/01 08:14:43 (permalink)
McJeff -  Give a try to Weenie World in Dundalk.  They have skinless and natural casing dogs in a wide variety (I like the slaw dogs there) as well as foot longs and Polish  Italian sausage.  The fries are good as well.

Weenie World
1099 Merritt Blvd
Dundalk, MD 21222
(410) 284-9495
i95
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2011/02/06 10:09:09 (permalink)
*** THIS THREAD'S PROBLEM NOW SOLVED COURTESY OF: ***

Opened up just three months ago and conveniently located in the Barracks
Row section of Washington, D.C. (Capitol Hill at 423 Eighth Street, SE), DC-3
is a most-welcomed off-shoot from the folks whom brought the city Matchbox
(touted on this site). Most importantly -- and as confirmed by an inaugural visit
to the place yesterday for lunch -- THEY SERVE 20 TYPES OF REGIONAL HOT DOGS!

Oh, I know what you're saying: sure, 20 of the same dogs but with different
"toppings." Nope. Eight different dogs (Zweigle's, Kayem, Nathan's, etc.), custom
rolls, four different cooking mediums (grill, griddle, deep fry and boil) and 20 different
regional specialties including that served in Chicago, Coney Island, L.A., Tucson, etc.

Along with delicious, house battered and fried pickles and fries, our five-top
ordered the: Tucson Sonoran (bacon-wrapped beef dog in a carved-out, locally-
made roll and topped with pinto beans, onions, tomatoes, white spicy mayo, jalapeno
relish and deli mustard); Maine Red Snapper (Kayem red hot on a butter-grilled locally-
made bun topped with jalapeno white sauce, homemade vidalia onion sweet relish and
celery salt); and NY Coney (Nathan's beef hot dog topped with chili, onions and mustard).
All delicious and, while not cheap, averaging @ $ 5.00 per dog. See DC-3's menu here:

DC-3 has largely received favorable, local  reviews and I hope they survive
these trying times. (BTW, the place also serves Boylan's sodas, fresh cotton candy,
ice cream and frozen yogurt.) Check 'em out!   
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2011/02/06 11:27:43 (permalink)
DC-3 was featured in the Roadfood Digest:
http://www.roadfood.com/Digest/29/dc-gets-upscale-roadfood

They do feature regional styles but often get them wrong using the wrong kind of dog. See comments below.
i95
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2011/02/06 16:58:47 (permalink)
Oops. My bad. I always thought that "Roadfood Digest" was a chewingthefat thread likely inquiring, "what's the worst thing you ever digested?" Again, oops. That said, good comments. That also said, this part of the world is so desperate for decent hot dogs that even if DC-3 got it half right, they'd have my business.
IntelligentT82
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2011/02/15 16:45:22 (permalink)
Thank you i95 for posting info on DC-3.  I have to go there.  The pictures on their website looks too tempting for me to resist.  The Tucson Sonoran looks really good.   I must try...
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
Re:Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2011/02/15 17:27:52 (permalink)
I just walked past there yesterday during my lunch hour and, unfortunately, has just purchase a sandwich at Marvelous Market, and I was thinking, I should go there, take pics and post on Roadfood.

I just wished they use Hofmann's from syracuse rather than Sweigles from Rochacha. For a coney (white snappy), Hofmann's is better.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1