Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tywwia
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2008/04/27 10:45:37 (permalink)

Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD?

Thanks to this site, I discovered Weenie Beanie in Arlington, Sams Hot Dog Stands in Winchester, Jess' Quick Lunch in Harrisonburg, Joe's Hot Dogs in Herndon and the White Star in Frederick MD - but the Winchester Sam's and Joe's have closed in the last several months, and the other two places aren't always "on the way" - so I am wondering if anyone has other recommendations for good hot dog spots in Fairfax County, Loudoun County or points west of there in Northern VA, or in Montgomery, Washington or Frederick counties in MD? There HAS to be something better than Sheetz and 7-11... (I have used the search function, with no luck beyond those mentioned above)

(PS - of course there is Ben's Chili Bowl in DC, which is great, I'm looking for places more convenient to the Leesburg VA area)

Thanks!

54 Replies Related Threads

wrfc5
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/27 11:48:30 (permalink)
    Vienna Inn is famous for their dogs...I usually get 3 loaded, which is mustard, onions and chili.
    micciche57
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/27 12:31:05 (permalink)
    Unfortunately for us Northern Virginian's there are not many choices. Ben's Chili Bowl in Wash.DC is the real deal and they serve a great Chili Dog. Vienna Inn is ok but the dogs are not very good quality in my opinion, their hot dog sauce has a nice spicy flavor though. Beenie Weenie was a great place to go 20 years ago when i would bring my trucking crew there for lunch. they reminded me of the Hot Texas Weiner stands of my youth in New Jersey. Havn't been back though because of the distance...Unfortunately when i bring up the subject to my friends about not being able to get a great dog they point out Costco, or the hot dog carts in front of home depot. they are ok but nothing to write home about. That did it, now my mouth is watering for a Hot Texas Weiner all the way.
    tywwia
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/28 19:06:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info so far. Only went by the Vienna Inn once, too crowded to get in that evening.

I do wish there was more. Ben's is great when I am in the District, but I miss having something out here in the Leesburg area or further west.

One place that I had a pretty good half-smoke last week - Dogs Plus at Camden Yards.
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/28 20:25:06 (permalink)
    At the risk of earning the wrath which will surely come with such a suggestion (" />) -- however knowing that such is also a recommendation perhaps escaping the naked eye of the public at- large --[url='http://www.fiveguys.com/']Five Guys[/url] actually serves quite a decent hot dog.

I'll leave it to the usual albeit admired posters on this board whom have a PhD from Frankfurt to provide greater detail on the particular dog but safe-to-say that it's a Hebrew National, 100% beef and 100% Kosher hot dog that's split then grilled (griddled) and not bad at all when you need that hot dog-fix.

And while the Leesburg area puts you at quite the disadvantage when it comes to decent dogs, take comfort in the following two pending developments:

(1) there's a Five Guys planned in the shopping center being built right behind Leesburg's Home Depot;

(2) and that on the other side of Route 7 near the Goose Creek Golf Club, they're building the great purveyor of upstate New York hot dogs as in [url='http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomepageView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&langId=-1']Wegmans[/url] (cue [url='http://www.sounddogs.com/previews/2220/mp3/402678_SOUNDDOGS_MU.mp3']music[/url]).

FYI and welcome to RoadFood.com.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/28 21:52:24 (permalink)
    I95,

I'm in agreement insofar as 5 Guys's Hotdogability is concerned. It's a good, skinless Hebrew National, prepared nicely.

Actually, I posted about it some time back, stating that, by ordering it just right, one could obtain a reasonable facsimile of a Chicago Style Dog.

While my post pertains to N.J.'s dearth of Chicago Style Hot Dogs, and offers the 5 Guys formula as a solution, it, of course, pertains to hot dog aficionados in all states where there's a 5 Guys. The Post follows:

***********************The Chicago Alternative************************

While Central New Jerseyans still bemoan the loss of J's Beef in Linden, N.J., where owner Jack purveyed the very best Chicago Style Dog east of the Windy City, hot dog lovers willing to practice a little ingenuity and imagination can find a tasty solution at 5 Guys, Blue Star Mall, Watchung, New Jersey---at least until Jack opens his new place...perhaps in the Woodbridge area.

At 5 Guys, which serves a 1/4 lb. Hebrew National, skinless dog, split and cooked on a griddle (ask for it a tad seared), the toppings are numerous...the policy generous. That is, by stretching the rules a tad, you can at least simulate the Chicago experience.

Order your dog with pickle, mustard, relish, tomato, raw onion and Jalapeno peppers. Nope, they're not sport peppers; the roll isn't a poppy-seeded Rosen; the relish isn't quite neon. But if you bring your own shaker of celery salt, close your eyes and bask in the impossible joy of knowing the Cubs are within reach of first place, it's a decent substitute...at least until Jack comes Back.
    The Bear

i95
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/29 08:09:37 (permalink)
    Well put, ScreenBear. Sorry I missed your original posting of the same.
    i95
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/29 08:38:42 (permalink)
    tywwia, two other thoughts regarding your pursuit of a decent hot dog in the Leesburg, Virginia area:

(1) Johnson's Charcoal Beef House (401 East Market Street, Leesburg, Virginia, 703 / 777-1116) serves a decent split and grilled dog, as well, but you better hurry as the once great place is scheduled to soon be demolished to make room for yet another Chevy Chase Bank ;

(2) and the old Mighty Midget Kitchen used to also serve a good hot dog. You may want to check out their new location (noted[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2067&whichpage=2']here[/url]) to see whether they still do.

FYI.

John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/29 08:39:13 (permalink)
    I also agree that 5 Guys serves a very good hot dog. Hebrew National is a quality beef dog and the people working at 5 Guys prepare it well. I went when they first opened and sampled the hot dog, hamburger, and fries. I've read a lot of posts bashing Five Guys hamburgers, but I love them. Well done, but still juicy and tasty. I like the softer bun as well. The fries (fried in peanut oil) are maybe my favorite french fry. Although the dogs are very good, most of the time I get a burger and fries.

I always try to go to new place with an open mind regarding hot dogs. Normally I wouldn't expect a good one from a chain hamburger restaurant. But 5 Guys is definitely an exception.
    i95
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/29 08:44:46 (permalink)
    Let the record reflect that I beat the esteemed John Fox to a specific hot dog recommendation.

tywwia
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/29 19:28:35 (permalink)
    I wil give 5 guys a shot.

As to the Mighty Midget Kitchen, the last time I drove by the new location, it looked like the kitchen was not yet open. And, to be, uh, frank, if I'm there, it's Friday night for ribs...
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/30 07:52:59 (permalink)
    I mention this only since you're looking for dogs and might be be tempted if you're driving on I-81.

A place to AVOID AT ALL COST! I'm unsure of the name, but it's listed on a "places to eat" sign along 81 in Martinsburg, WV. The dogs were skinless (which I expected), low quality, only luke warm, and they got the toppings screwed up. I'm ashamed to say this, but they were so bad I just threw them out of the truck onto the parking lot and drove away.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/30 22:37:01 (permalink)
    Hot Dog Hut? I'm betting. They only exist because of the video gambling machines. Definitely not worth a stop if you're traveling through.

Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/30 23:21:17 (permalink)
    Is anyone familar with Zack's hot dogs in the Baltimore area. I think they may have two or three locations?
    i95
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/04/30 23:41:48 (permalink)
    Former RoadFood poster hungovergourmet posted about such on his online "journal of food, drink, travel & fun" viewable online[url='http://hungovergourmet.blogspot.com/2007/04/zacks-hot-dogs-with-attitude.html']here[/url], FYI.
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/01 06:51:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

Hot Dog Hut? I'm betting. They only exist because of the video gambling machines. Definitely not worth a stop if you're traveling through.

Mike, that's the place. If I was starving, I'd hit any of the ff joints along the strip before returning there.
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/01 08:10:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Robearjr
    Is anyone familar with Zack's hot dogs in the Baltimore area. I think they may have two or three locations?
    Zach's is very good, I especially like the pickle/pepper/fixins bar (at least at the Carny location). I've never had the Chicago dog, but they do sell jars of the freakish green relish.

On the 'Not Dogs' menu they list an Italian beef. I had it a year ago and it was NOT an Italian beef but more like a bbq beef. The menu reads like its a real Italian beef so it may be worth a try again. Excellent natural casing dogs,

Kevin

http://zacksdogs.com/
    i95
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/02 13:37:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John Fox

Normally I wouldn't expect a good one from a chain hamburger restaurant. But 5 Guys is definitely an exception.

I just returned from a rather spontaneous lunch at the Falls Church, Virginia outpost (2960 Gallows Road) of this chain (" />) and it was only confirming to me as to how decent this dog is.

Hope tywwia finally finds his solace amongst the red and white checkerboard which is[url='http://www.fiveguys.com/']Five Guys[/url].
    micciche57
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/03 13:19:40 (permalink)
    Went straight to the 5 guys in Ashburn to try it again. Its ok, but definitely is not worthy of being placed in the same league as the greats (Rutts Hutt, Syds, Tommys,etc.).. they are known for their Burgers which are great. Use to be better when there were just the two originals down on Columbia Pike and i beleive the other one is in Falls Church. They also use to use a great potato bun for their burgers, stopped doing that for some reason. once a franchisee gets to changing things the product loses some of its appeal.
    Wish i knew why a great dog place hasn't made it in this area? any ideas out there as to why?
    i95
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/03 16:40:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by micciche57

Wish i knew why a great dog place hasn't made it in this area? any ideas out there as to why?

Uh...

...because 535 weiners in town is enough?
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/03 16:56:06 (permalink)
    ROTFLMAO
    tywwia
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/03 17:26:40 (permalink)
    540. You forgot the 5 delegates, resident commissioners, etc...
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8488
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/03 17:30:30 (permalink)
    Excellent,i95,just excellent!!!
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/04 00:45:28 (permalink)
    I had a Chicago style hot dog from Zacks in White Marsh just last week. Somehow this place just doesn't impress me. They are using genuine Vienna Beef brand products, even have the neon relish and giardinera (sp) for sale, but they served me a Chicago Dog with no mustard. I was very surprised at this, but upon reading their description of the Chicago dog, it doesn't mention mustard. Their only mustard offerings are French's yellow and a brown horseradish mustard, and apparently they expect you to add them yourself. Not such a good idea on a Chicago dog which have a certain order to them. No Guldens or good deli mustard are available.
    micciche57
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/12 11:47:47 (permalink)
    Well, let me ask you guys (and gals) something. if someone was to build a Hot texas weiner stand in Northern Virginia. based on the traditional NJ/NY style dogs do you think it would have a chance of making it? Is there a large enough base of customer's in this area to support it in your opinion?
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/12 15:19:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by micciche57
    Well, let me ask you guys (and gals) something. if someone was to build a Hot texas weiner stand in Northern Virginia. based on the traditional NJ/NY style dogs do you think it would have a chance of making it? Is there a large enough base of customer's in this area to support it in your opinion?
    I think a place like that would do well. About the only places I can think of that are similar are Ben's and Weenie Beanie. When I worked in D.C., I went to Weenie Beanie every couple of months because it's good, but not that great that I'd go to weekly. I wasn't convenient to Ben's to make it except a few times a year.

A place like Rutt's Hut, or any NYC Papaya type place would thrive, IMHO.

Kevin
    i95
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/13 07:07:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by KOK

A place like Rutt's Hut, or any NYC Papaya type place would thrive...

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/13 09:46:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by douginvirginia

A place to AVOID AT ALL COST! I'm unsure of the name, but it's listed on a "places to eat" sign along 81 in Martinsburg, WV. The dogs were skinless (which I expected), low quality, only luke warm, and they got the toppings screwed up. I'm ashamed to say this, but they were so bad I just threw them out of the truck onto the parking lot and drove away.

I do believe that is the lowliest thing you could've done.

There are things called trash cans. Use them. Stop littering - you're only ruining the environment and aesthetic beauty of the world for the rest of us.

Have some respect for the world and civilization you live in, and show it. You should be ashamed!

I honestly, have no idea why you would admit to littering on a public forum. Next time, fess up to the police and pay your fine.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4199
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/13 18:40:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tywwia

Thanks to this site, I discovered Weenie Beanie in Arlington, Sams Hot Dog Stands in Winchester, Jess' Quick Lunch in Harrisonburg, Joe's Hot Dogs in Herndon and the White Star in Frederick MD - but the Winchester Sam's and Joe's have closed in the last several months, and the other two places aren't always "on the way" - so I am wondering if anyone has other recommendations for good hot dog spots in Fairfax County, Loudoun County or points west of there in Northern VA, or in Montgomery, Washington or Frederick counties in MD? There HAS to be something better than Sheetz and 7-11... (I have used the search function, with no luck beyond those mentioned above)

(PS - of course there is Ben's Chili Bowl in DC, which is great, I'm looking for places more convenient to the Leesburg VA area)

Thanks!

Welcome to Roadfood!!!

We moved to the Dallas area three years ago after living in McLean for 25 years. I miss many of my NOVA roadfood-type places, especially Weenie Beenie! Along with the half-smokes and chili dogs they serve a great N.C. BBQ sandwich. I'd order a large, hold the slaw, add hot sauce and wash it down with Mountain Dew. OMG! Try a grilled cheese with ham or bacon for breakfast. Any hangover will disappear instantly! Did you know that they have a "sister" in Alexandria? It's on the corner of Pickett & Yoakum Pkwy. Same food with an eat-in area.

The Vienna Inn is several notches below Jess' Quick Lunch where I ate many a dog and drank a few Schlitz back in the 1970's before playing in a high-stakes game in Harrisonburg that was worth the trip from DC.

I prefer sausage to hot dogs; try Willard's in Chantilly. http://www.dcbbq.com/

I've seen a few Food Channnel shows on the Chicago Hot Dog and it occurs to me (with some help from the mention above) that you could "build one" at Five Guys. In fact, I'll do that myself when they open their first Texas store in (of all places) the Galleria-Dallas (think Galleria-Tyson's + Pentagon City and add an ice rink). Just contemplating their rent makes me dizzy, but their Manhattan store has been a success.

BTW: the ultimate Roadfood in DC is Mario's on Wilson in Arlington. Get a slice with pep and a slice with BBQ and munch on them while Lefty preps you ham, steak & cheese with grilled onions & shrooms. Like Weenie Beenie, the feast is best enjoyed on one of their outdoor picnic tables. WARNING: like Weenie Beenie, their food does not travel. Eat on the spot!
    i95
    RE: Hot Dogs in No. Virginia or Central MD? 2008/05/20 08:29:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by i95

tywwia, two other thoughts regarding your pursuit of a decent hot dog in the Leesburg, Virginia area:

(1) Johnson's Charcoal Beef House (401 East Market Street, Leesburg, Virginia, 703 / 777-1116)...

Too late. Closed for good
    last Wednesday.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1