The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee

yumbo

• Total Posts: 330
Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Mon, 08/18/03 4:10 PM (permalink)
Hi All -

I just had my first Hot Italian Beef sandwich (ever!) at JJ's Subs in Milwaukee (N 35th and Wells). I was so completely blown away. I was dining alone and I almost started singing.

Anyway, being a new resident of Milwaukee I'm wondering if there are any other similar restaurants that I should check out. Suggestions?

-Yumbo

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
    RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Mon, 08/18/03 4:37 PM (permalink)
    Head down to Chicago- Italian beff stands are a dime-a-dozen here. I believe that Chicago is where Italian beef was founded.

John

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
      RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Tue, 08/19/03 1:07 AM (permalink)
      The 2 top Italian Beefatoriums in Chicago are Mr. Beef on Orleans and Al's on Taylor. I like mine mild and wet.

seafarer john

RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Tue, 08/19/03 9:39 AM (permalink)
        Please describe just what is hot Italian beef for this ignorant New Yorker?

Michael Stern

RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Tue, 08/19/03 9:58 AM (permalink)
          Here's one, as served at[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1307']Mr. Beef[/url]

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
            RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Tue, 08/19/03 10:38 AM (permalink)
            Yum! That looks great! I like mine a little jucier and with sports. Portillos is my fav but I live in the far west 'burbs and thats the best of choices I have.

yumbo

• Total Posts: 330
              RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Tue, 08/19/03 10:40 AM (permalink)
              Michael - that's exactly what I had. But with some sort of melted cheese. Do they put that on the real thing in Chicago? -Yumbo

Michael Stern

RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Tue, 08/19/03 10:50 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by yumbo

Michael - that's exactly what I had. But with some sort of melted cheese. Do they put that on the real thing in Chicago? -Yumbo

Hmmm, I don't ever remember getting melted cheese on an Italian beef sandwich. There are few things that a mantle of cheese doesn't improve, but I suspect this sandwich might be one of them. I don't want anything smothering that brilliant beefy flavor (which the giardiniera only accentuates, IMO).

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
                  RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Tue, 08/19/03 10:51 AM (permalink)
                  They usually don't put cheese on them in Chicago. The only place I've seen that done is at a small chain the Northwest suburbs. The usual toppings are either roasted or sauteed sweet peppers, or mild or hot giardenera, which is usually chopped carrots, olives, jalapenos, celery, and olives in oil.

My favorite places are Mr. Beef on Orleans in Chicago, Johnnies in Elmwood Park on North Avenue (they have great sausage and excellent Italian lemon ice), and a little place in the Western suburbs in Westmont, IL called Johnny's (no relation to the above) in a strip mall of of Cass and Ogden Avenues.

John

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                    RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Tue, 08/19/03 1:12 PM (permalink)
                    I've seen some of the local pizza places offering them with cheese...yuk.....why ruin all that good beef juice!

glennpan

• Total Posts: 90
                      RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Mon, 09/29/03 12:17 PM (permalink)
                      Big I-beef fan here. My 2 personal favorites are Al's (several Chicago area locations), and Pop's (several south suburban locations). Pop's has the bigger wetter spicier sandwich of the two. I have heard some good things about Buona Beef although I have not personally gone there yet.

Melted cheese is offered in many places, although I do not care for it. Some places serve their I-Beef on a garlic bread version of a roll which I do like very much. Sometimes, it I want the flavor but not all the calories I will just order a gravy bread.

Julia I

RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Wed, 10/1/03 6:38 PM (permalink)
                        Italian beef question here. I've had I-beef sandwiches at various places, including one of the main Chicago stops (can't remember which one). But there's a place in Milwaukee that surprised me. Instead of ladling juice on the finished sandwich, they dipped the whole thing in a vat of juice, making it very soggy and really difficult to eat. Has anyone else seen this variation? This place does big business.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                          RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Thu, 10/2/03 8:20 AM (permalink)
                          When I was in Chicago in the mid-eighties, I had an italian girl friend whose brother worked in St Paul-Minneapolis. He was going crazy for a beef sandwhich, to the point where he was talking about buying a cart to sell them on the street,"Therese, nobody sells them here, I'll make a mint...".

Well he never did do it, and frankly I can't imagine Minnesotans getting down and dirty with a sloppy beef on a sidewalk in the winter. I could be wrong.

An adventursome couple recently opened a Chicago-style hot dog and italian beef stand in my home town of Cortland, NY. Unfortunately, the beef was small, and tasted old, I'm not sure it'll catch on around here enough for them to have fresh roast beef on hand all the time. I'll have to try it agin before they go out of business.

Ah Chicago.....

glennpan

• Total Posts: 90
                            RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Thu, 10/2/03 5:22 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Julia I

Italian beef question here. I've had I-beef sandwiches at various places, including one of the main Chicago stops (can't remember which one). But there's a place in Milwaukee that surprised me. Instead of ladling juice on the finished sandwich, they dipped the whole thing in a vat of juice, making it very soggy and really difficult to eat. Has anyone else seen this variation? This place does big business.

That is my personal favorite way to have a beef. Places like Pop's serve it that way without having to ask. Otherwise just ask for your I-beef "wet" to get it that way.

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
                              RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Fri, 11/21/03 4:13 PM (permalink)
                              Any true Italian Beef stand (say Mr. Beef) won't even offer cheese on its sandwiches. I've been to places that do, and all I can say is, it's sacrilegious! All you should taste is the beef and the peppers. (I prefer mine with sweet peppers, but Stern's photo shows it with hot)

St. Louis Browns fan

• Total Posts: 129
                                RE: Hot Italian Beef in Milwaukee Thu, 12/4/03 9:24 AM (permalink)
                                If you're looking for Italian beef in Milwaukee, try Martino's on Layton Ave. near the airport. They serve Vienna hot dogs and Italian beef.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com