Hot Italian Cutlet Sandwich

Author
Graham Duncan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2005/02/09 15:49:55 (permalink)

Hot Italian Cutlet Sandwich

Have you seen this sandwich? In Toronto we call it an Italian sandwich. It features a breaded fried cutlet, usually veal but also chicken or sometimes pork, served hot on a large crusty hamburger shaped roll (I’d call it a kaiser) with tomato sauce and peppers: sweet medium or hot. Common extras include mozzarella or sauteed mushrooms. The whole thing is like a very heafty, broad hamburger in shape and with the tomato sauce – quite sloppy. If you have encountered this sandwich or a veriation thereof, please let me know

4 Replies Related Threads

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Hot Italian Cutlet Sandwich 2005/02/09 16:00:27 (permalink)
    Switch the bread to a long split french or italian roll, and my answer is yes. I also order it with sauced breaded and fried aubergine. That and a Dr Pepper or a cold beer and I'm full till suppertime.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Hot Italian Cutlet Sandwich 2005/02/09 16:02:21 (permalink)
    Pardon my bad manners. Welcome to Roadfood Graham Duncan.
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Hot Italian Cutlet Sandwich 2005/02/09 16:16:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ballpark Roadtripper

Every pizzaria worth it's salt in the northeast has both Veal and Chicken cutlet parmesean heros on their menus. Breaded and fried cutlets of veal or chicken, marinara sauce, and melted mozzerella cheese on a long hero roll. Veal Parm from Luigi's on 88th and 1st is my all time favorite "sangweech".

I wish we had these in the South, I remember them from my "yout" in PA.
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Hot Italian Cutlet Sandwich 2005/02/09 16:20:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

Switch the bread to a long split french or italian roll, and my answer is yes. I also order it with sauced breaded and fried aubergine. That and a Dr Pepper or a cold beer and I'm full till suppertime.

Your sandwich sounds like a dish I make. I bread and fry the eggplant and put it in the baking dish; spread sauce over and then my top layer is breaded veal cutlet fried. I pour sauce over the veal (not as much as over the eggplant) and then lots of parm and mozzerella cheese. Our family loves it.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1