The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Hot Links, where to find the best ???

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 78 of 78
Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9583
Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Tue, 03/2/10 11:31 PM (permalink)
I just Googled "Hot Links Sausage' and came up with a bunch of info. Including Bar S Hotlinks available at Sams Club as well as a link to make your own-
http://www.bbq-porch.org/recipes/html/r1657.htm
<message edited by Foodbme on Tue, 03/2/10 11:33 PM>

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
    Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Tue, 03/2/10 11:32 PM (permalink)
    Last month I made my first ( and I dearly hope not last ) visit to Louie Mueller's Barbecue in Taylor, Texas. Boy oh boy, what an incredible restaurant! The place is, architecturally, an amazing time machine, and the staff is one of the most friendly and accommodating that I've ever encountered. It's the food, however, that really knocked my socks off. Both the brisket and the hot links are simply wonderful, and the sides that I sampled were very good. Mueller's came close to displacing the original Doe's Eat Place in MS as my favorite eatery on planet Earth, but I finally decided that Louie's place would just have to settle for the #2 spot. Close contest though.

<message edited by Carolina Bob on Tue, 03/2/10 11:35 PM>

Pirate Paul

• Total Posts: 23
      Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Sat, 06/12/10 7:51 PM (permalink)
           To the other Paul from NY, I'm not a bit surprised your cousin didn't have a clue what a genuine Texas dog is, even though he's from here.  After I moved away to California for many years, I found barbecue hot links available at virtually all the barbecue and soul food places.
           Back here again, I find they are practically non-existent outside of grocery store meat sections!  Unbelievable.      The original poster didn't say, so I don't know if he wants to eat them in a restaurant or buy them for home.  First, you have to specify hot links, not "sausage links," which are long rings often called rope sausage. 
            Hot links look like fat hot dogs, and are referred to as Texas or Lousiana hot links, the latter sometimes being andouille.  I have made both at home.
            If you want to buy them, make sure to read the labels and insist on pork and/or beef only, not mechanically dismembered chicken parts or other stuff that once had feathers.
            My favorite commercial brands are Blue Ribbon and Johnsonville, both made in Texas, but there are many other good ones (and just as many that are not).

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Sat, 06/12/10 8:23 PM (permalink)
        I believe there is a major difference in the mass-produced links we find in markets all over the place, and the limited-production links made by the craftsmen/women in many of the Sausage making businesss around the country.

When you find a restaurant or meat shop that makes their own, it can be a real treasure to be treated with great respect. Even big operations can be known for very good products...I would put Usinger's Meats in that catagory.

For Supermarket Links, we have recently found the Louisiana Hot Links at Costco to be a real 'Winner Wiener". Plenty of snap in the casing when browned, a good coarse texture, and an excellent spice to flavor ratio make them a pretty good deal for us!

pimple2

• Total Posts: 90
          Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Tue, 06/15/10 2:58 AM (permalink)
          How [and by how much] does Johnsonville New Orleans Brand Smoked Sausage compare with/differ from their BOLD Beef Hot Links? We get the first but not the second in our area. Thanks.

Foodbme

Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Tue, 06/15/10 12:50 PM (permalink)
            pimple2

How [and by how much] does Johnsonville New Orleans Brand Smoked Sausage compare with/differ from their BOLD Beef Hot Links? We get the first but not the second in our area. Thanks.

Couldn't tell ya. We don't get either in AZ----at least I've not seen them anywhere.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
              Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Wed, 06/16/10 10:48 AM (permalink)
              FoodB, so you couldn't find out who made that jalapeno sausage? BarS makes at hot sausage that I get allot. They come in a BIG pack and are cheep. Hey, not bad. I have not seen their hot links.

P Paul, I'm bettin someone sells a cooked hot link somewhere around Houston. I also bet there are some meat shops that make them.

Mayor Al, those Louisiana hot links you found at Sam's sound great!!!! Sorta like the ones I mentioned at the start of this thread. But... who makes them???

Pimple, those JV New Orleans sausages are Andouille. Hard to comapare to anything else. I buy them all tha time. I have allot of sausage lovers in my familly. They all wrap them in a flour tortilla though. Many prefer my jalapeno mayo as a condament. Hey Guys, were in Texas so that is ok! Tha tortilla and... tha mayo!

Don't forget my tast test from earlier in this thread of store baught hot links. 30 folks voted. Hillshire Farm All Beef won. Earl Campbell came in 2nd.

Hilshire Farms, Eckrich, and Johnsonville are all pretty good store brand sausages. Oh, and Earl Campbell.

Earl's sausages have their own FB fan page!
              Joe

Caymandoc

• Total Posts: 1
                Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Wed, 11/30/11 7:26 PM (permalink)
                Greetings everyone, I am a new user so bear with me.  I just had to chime in on this one.  I have family living in East Texas and have since forever.  I have been known to make special trips to East Texas JUST to "get linked" as it's become known in my family.  Essentially, there are two East Texas hot link purveyors of note.  I'm not talking about mass produced Earl Campbell types of links here.  In fact, if the EC type of link is your thing you may not like East Texas hot links.  E.T. Links are smaller, coarser in texture, and not really all that spicy until they're served with the accompanying hot sauce made specifically for them.  The owner of Pittsburg Hot Links told me that the sauce was simply equal parts water, cider vinegar, and cayenne pepper, but they bottle and sell it there.  These link makers also make a "chili" from the links  that many folks insist is a must as an accompaniment--I agree.  As far as which one is best, my personal opinion is Doc's Hot Links, Gilmer, Texas.  They are larger, tastier, and juicier, than Pittsburg's (not to mention less expensive) and they serve the best whole jalapenos around.  That said, Pittsburg Hot Links has more on the menu--and their hot link chili is better--but, if we're talking about who has the best links, I go with Doc's every time.  A bit of trivia: There used to be a pharmacy in Pittsburg, TX, named Fredrick's, I believe.  Their links were awesome.  Their "secret" was that they used Doc's, but cooked them in an old wood-burning oven.  On this note I have to say that cooking ANY East Texas Link is always better on the grill, over cool smoke.  Regardless how you cook them, I suggest you preheat them in an oven until they plump up and then stick them with a fork or knife to drain the copious amounts of grease out of them before you grill or eat them or you will either end up with a pool of oil in your plate or a bonfire in your BBQ pit--or both! Just remember to always order and serve them with the hot sauce or they just aren't the same.  They should both be willing to ship.  I know a little mexican market on Singleton in West Dallas that sells Pittsburg brand hot links, but I can't vouch for the freshness (although I buy them when I'm in the area anyway).  

Foodbme

Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Wed, 11/30/11 8:28 PM (permalink)
                  CaymanDoc,
                  Welcome to Roadfood! It's good to have a resident expert on Hot Links on Board. A very good report!
                  Since you are a Newbee and are on Double Secret Probation and can't post links yet I'll help you out. Couldn't find a web site for Doc's Hot Links since they probably don't need one and live by their reputation, I'll post a urbanspoon link for them.
                    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/202/1045016/restaurant/Longview/Docs-Hot-Links-Gilmer
                  Pittsburg, without the "H" youze yenzers, does have a web site. http://www.pittsburghotlinks.net/
                  We have commercial hot links out here but nothing like the real deal.

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
                    Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Thu, 12/1/11 6:09 AM (permalink)
                    Nice report, Welcome!

Michael Stern

Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Thu, 12/1/11 9:40 AM (permalink)
                      Caymandoc, might the pharmacy in Pittsburg have been Franklin's?

Foodbme

Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Thu, 12/1/11 11:45 AM (permalink)
                        Michael Stern

Caymandoc, might the pharmacy in Pittsburg have been Franklin's?

The push bar on the door says Butter-Nut Bread. Hadn't heard or seen that name in a long time! Do they still make it? 
                        <message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 12/1/11 11:46 AM>

Michael Stern

Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Thu, 12/1/11 12:35 PM (permalink)
                          Foodbme

[The push bar on the door says Butter-Nut Bread. Hadn't heard or seen that name in a long time! Do they still make it? 

I just checked the Hostess website and, yes, it is listed among "regional favorites." That picture, BTW, was taken about 25 years ago.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4900
                            Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Thu, 12/1/11 1:03 PM (permalink)
                            Although they're not from "East Texas" I'm nuts for the smoked links (sausage?) from Louie Mueller BBQ in central Texas.
                            But, the next time out Tyler way, I'll look for some of the above mentioned "East Texas hot links".

Michael Stern

Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Thu, 12/1/11 2:14 PM (permalink)
                              Twinwillow

Although they're not from "East Texas" I'm nuts for the smoked links (sausage?) from Louie Mueller BBQ in central Texas.
                              But, the next time out Tyler way, I'll look for some of the above mentioned "East Texas hot links".

...which are completely different from porky Chicago South Side hot links (just to add a bit of confusion) with barbecue sauce and French fries:

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4900
                                Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Thu, 12/1/11 6:15 PM (permalink)
                                Thanks, Michael. The fries look especially yummy smothered in sauce.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                                  Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Fri, 12/2/11 12:15 AM (permalink)
                                  Those porky Chicago South Side hot links are talking to me, informing that they are the best of everything squeezed into a casing. Had I known about them when I was in the Windy City in July I would have added them to my itinerary of Chicago Hot Dogs and Deep Dish Pizza. 

The Bear

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 792
                                    Re:Hot Links, where to find the best ??? Fri, 12/2/11 12:37 PM (permalink)
                                    Any sources in the Delaware area?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                      Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 78 of 78

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com