Author
Dogs on Wheels
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
2006/06/04 10:11:34 (permalink)

Hot Pretzels on Hot Dog Cart, like NY style

How is this done?
What do you need?
Like the ones in NY. What do you need on your cart to serve hot Ny style pretzels?
Thanks for any info

6 Replies Related Threads

dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Hot Pretzels on Hot Dog Cart, like NY style 2006/06/04 13:37:23 (permalink)
    I don't have a real answer, but first you need a local supplier of soft pretzels. Perhaps google "soft pretzels"
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3309
    RE: Hot Pretzels on Hot Dog Cart, like NY style 2006/06/07 08:30:21 (permalink)
    DOW, if you want to sell pretzels from a cart, the first requirement will be electricity for the warmer display. I recommend selling only pretzels, should you decide to venture into this type of mobile vending. Selling hot dogs and pretzels from the same cart will create a competition between them. When customers approach the cart, they'll be expecting a specific item. One will sell, the other won't. J&J Snack Foods offers a complete line of food warmer displays, ovens, and a cart specifically for pretzels. Their soft pretzel products include: The Super Pretzel Soft Pretzel, Pretzel Fils which are stuffed soft pretzel sticks, SoftStix which are cheese filled soft pretzels, Gourmet Pretzel Rolls, and Gourmet Soft Pretzel Buns. www.jjsnackfoodservice.com/rbproject/products.asp?cat=s

CSD

Born in Chicago
    Escaped to Wisconsin
    Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs & Polish
    Business Instructor www.hotdogu.com
    PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: Hot Pretzels on Hot Dog Cart, like NY style 2006/06/07 08:53:23 (permalink)
    New York Pretzel Co. supplies the unbaked pretzels to the pushcarts in the greater NY area. I'm sure they'll ship.
    The key to a real NY pretzel is to use charcoal to heat them up. Most of the pushcarts have a "hole" in them that holds a couple of pounds of lump or briquettes. Over this goes a screen basket with the pretzels in it. You need to have the coals to give the pretzels that crusty, slightly black charring - kind of like a coal oven does for pizza.
    There are a couple of other pretzel bakeries in the area (Kings Bay Pretzel, and one whose name escapes me) that also supply the bake off items. I've used both NY and Kings Bay for events that I've run, and their product is very good.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3309
    RE: Hot Pretzels on Hot Dog Cart, like NY style 2006/06/07 12:15:34 (permalink)
    Paul, now we have a comparison between a New York and a Chicago pretzel. Our pretzel vendors just plug in and heat up. I've never seen a coal fired pretzel cart in the midwest. Just goes to show the regional differences.

CSD

Born in Chicago
    Escaped to Wisconsin
    Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs & Polish
    Business Instructor www.hotdogu.com
    Dogs on Wheels
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot Pretzels on Hot Dog Cart, like NY style 2006/06/07 21:45:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guys

Hey Paul, do you have a web address for the New York Pretzel Company.
    I cant find it. Thanks again
    Chris
    Dogs on Wheels
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot Pretzels on Hot Dog Cart, like NY style 2006/06/12 07:58:42 (permalink)
    Paul,
    Do you have links to those companies websites.
    Ive searched but can not find them
    Thanks
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1