Hot Shoppes' Onion Rings

Author
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2009/10/06 22:19:25 (permalink)

Hot Shoppes' Onion Rings

I attended a banquet function recently and which was prepared by a chef who often plays host to high school reunions in suburban Maryland (I believe home to the former Hot Shoppes) and where alumni at these reunions were often treated to foods they enjoyed "back in the day." One of these foods was Hot Shoppe's seemingly famous (or at least fondly remembered) onion rings. They were pretty darn good in the current form and, interestingly, use fresh or what the recipe calls "live bread crumbs." After a little research and apparently hailing from...

...below is the recipe from the same. Enjoy!

Hot Shoppe Onion Rings

Hot Shoppes French Fried Onion Rings  PREPARATION: 1. Use only large (at least 3" in diameter) round Spanish onions for rings. 2. Remove the solid root at the end. 3. Cut 1/4" slice from the end of each onion and peel. 4. Slice onions 1/4" thick and separate into rings. A full onion ring, broken on one side may be used. 5. Prepare egg wash: Combine 2 large beaten eggs with 1/2 cup cold water. 6. Dip sliced onions, a few at a time, in egg wash, then dip in flour. Let flour coated rings stand  on parchment or wax paper-lined trays in slightly overlapping rows to dry - for a minimum of 15 minutes. 7. Dip flour-coated rings again into egg wash and then into live bread crumbs (see recipe below). 8. If onion rings are not fried immediately, place rings on clean parchment or wax paper-lined trays  in slightly overlapping rows. 9. Hold refrigerated until time of service. 10. In vegetable oil preheated to 350° F, fry onion rings until golden brown. Separate onion rings  during frying process to keep them from sticking together. 11. Place only one layer of onion rings at a time in a deep fat fryer or a deep electric skillet. 12. Drain on paper towels or wire racks. 13. Slat lightly before serving.  Note: Do not cover onion rings when they have been prebreaded and refrigerated or they will become  soggy.  Live Bread Crumbs  Preparation 1. Use day-old bread. 2. Place bread in mixing bowl of heavy duty mixer and mix with a wire beater on low speed until fine  crumbs are formed.  3. Hold crumbs in a tightly closed plastic bag in the refrigerator until needed.  Note:   - If a heavy duty mixer is not available, bread may be finely grated on a hand-held grater.  (Marriott Hot Shoppes Cookbook)   

9 Replies Related Threads

russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re:Hot Shoppes' Onion Rings 2009/10/06 23:20:38 (permalink)
    i95

I attended a banquet function recently and which was prepared by a chef who often plays host to high school reunions in suburban Maryland (I believe home to the former Hot Shoppes) and where alumni at these reunions were often treated to foods they enjoyed "back in the day." One of these foods was Hot Shoppe's seemingly famous (or at least fondly remembered) onion rings. They were pretty darn good in the current form and, interestingly, use fresh or what the recipe calls "live bread crumbs." After a little research and apparently hailing from...

...below is the recipe from the same. Enjoy!

Hot Shoppe Onion Rings

Hot Shoppes French Fried Onion Rings  PREPARATION: 1. Use only large (at least 3" in diameter) round Spanish onions for rings. 2. Remove the solid root at the end. 3. Cut 1/4" slice from the end of each onion and peel. 4. Slice onions 1/4" thick and separate into rings. A full onion ring, broken on one side may be used. 5. Prepare egg wash: Combine 2 large beaten eggs with 1/2 cup cold water. 6. Dip sliced onions, a few at a time, in egg wash, then dip in flour. Let flour coated rings stand  on parchment or wax paper-lined trays in slightly overlapping rows to dry - for a minimum of 15 minutes. 7. Dip flour-coated rings again into egg wash and then into live bread crumbs (see recipe below). 8. If onion rings are not fried immediately, place rings on clean parchment or wax paper-lined trays  in slightly overlapping rows. 9. Hold refrigerated until time of service. 10. In vegetable oil preheated to 350° F, fry onion rings until golden brown. Separate onion rings  during frying process to keep them from sticking together. 11. Place only one layer of onion rings at a time in a deep fat fryer or a deep electric skillet. 12. Drain on paper towels or wire racks. 13. Slat lightly before serving.  Note: Do not cover onion rings when they have been prebreaded and refrigerated or they will become  soggy.  Live Bread Crumbs  Preparation 1. Use day-old bread. 2. Place bread in mixing bowl of heavy duty mixer and mix with a wire beater on low speed until fine  crumbs are formed.  3. Hold crumbs in a tightly closed plastic bag in the refrigerator until needed.  Note:   - If a heavy duty mixer is not available, bread may be finely grated on a hand-held grater.  (Marriott Hot Shoppes Cookbook)   

Mighty Mo BurgerMember 
    By Maria ScintoUser-Submitted Article Article Rating: (6 Ratings)

Few people know that the mighty Marriott corporation got its start as a small restaurant in Washington, D.C. That restaurant, founded in 1927, soon grew into a chain of Hot Shoppes restaurants all over the D.C. area. Sadly, the last Hot Shoppes closed its doors in 1999, but many who lived the D.C. area in the 50s, 60s and 70s still wax nostalgic about the one and only Mighty Mo. This recipe won't quite recreate the whole nostalgic Hot Shoppes experience, but at least it's a darn good burger.

Email Print Article   Add to Favorites Flag Article
    Difficulty: Moderately Easy
    Instructions

Things You'll Need:1 whole (uncut) sesame seed hamburger roll 1 tbsp. softened margarine 2 hamburger patties, each weighing 2 oz. Salt and white pepper to taste 1 tbsp. shredded lettuce 1 slice American cheese 4 tsp. Mighty Mo sauce 2 dill pickle chips
    How to Make the Mighty Mo SauceStep 1
    Mix the ketchup, chili sauce, and A-1. Stir in the Worcestershire and Tabasco sauces.
    Step 2
    Add the chopped sweet pickle to the ketchup mix. Stir in the mayonnaise until well-blended.
    Step 3
    Store in a tightly-capped jar. Refrigerate until ready to use.
    How to Put Together the Mighty Mo BurgerStep 1
    Cut the hamburger roll crosswise into 3 equal slices. Spread the bottom, top and one side of the center slice of the bun with the margarine. Grill the bun until it is lightly browned and warm throughout.
    Step 2
    Shape the hamburger into 2 thin 4" diameter patties. Grill the first patty very lightly on both sides, being careful not to overcook.
    Step 3
    Grill the second hamburger very lightly on one side. Flip it over and top it with American cheese, continue to grill lightly until the bottom is done.
    Step 4
    Spread 2 teaspoons of Mighty Mo sauce on the bottom of the roll. Top the sauce with the shredded lettuce, then add the hamburger.
    Step 5
    Top the hamburger with the middle layer of bun, grilled side up. Spread the top of this bun with the remaining Mighty Mo sauce.
    Step 6
    Top the middle bun with the cheeseburger. Place the pickle chips on top of the cheese, then cover with the top bun.

NOW BACK IN THE DAY THIS WAS THE BEST OF THE BEST IN BURGER LAND----ALWAYS EVOKES FOND MEMORIES OF BETHESDA AND ROCKVILLE ,MARYLAND WAS IMHO THE BEST OF ITS KIND EVER!!!!!!!! ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE REMEMBER..........................

RUSS

marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 369
    Re:Hot Shoppes' Onion Rings 2009/10/07 04:15:03 (permalink)
    it's too bad that both posts are un-readable....  might try a better job of formatting...:(
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re:Hot Shoppes' Onion Rings 2009/10/07 07:20:46 (permalink)
    Russ,

I enjoyed hundreds of Mighty Mo's during my youth, mostly at the Alexandria Hot Shoppes. Usually with fries/gravy and, of course, an Orange Freeze.
    russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Hot Shoppes' Onion Rings 2009/10/07 08:45:21 (permalink)
    marzsit

it's too bad that both posts are un-readable....  might try a better job of formatting...:(

Just mess with it and follow the  directional arrows ---------------------take tongue out of cheek and give it a shot-----either that or put your readers on---

Russ
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:Hot Shoppes' Onion Rings 2009/10/07 09:27:47 (permalink)
    It works for me. You have to use both the scroll bars for the entire browser window, and both the vertical and horizontal scroll bars inside Russ' first mesage. But, the recipe and directions are all in there.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Hot Shoppes' Onion Rings 2009/10/07 09:34:32 (permalink)
    Hot Shoppes owned the food concessions on the NYState Thruway for many years back in the 50s and 60s - they were awful!!!

Cheers, John 
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Hot Shoppes' Onion Rings 2009/10/07 11:07:22 (permalink)
    In High School I hung at the Connecticut Ave. Shoppes, every weekend, we would make thousands of laps around the place, hoping to see girls and be seen by them. Had many Burgers, and everything else on the menu. Named my Mastiff Mighty Moe!
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Hot Shoppes' Onion Rings 2009/10/07 12:58:23 (permalink)
    David_NYC

It works for me. You have to use both the scroll bars for the entire browser window, and both the vertical and horizontal scroll bars inside Russ' first mesage. But, the recipe and directions are all in there.

That said and to make it easier, here
    is a direct link to said recipe:

LINK

russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Hot Shoppes' Onion Rings 2009/10/07 14:13:17 (permalink)
    douginvirginia

Russ,

I enjoyed hundreds of Mighty Mo's during my youth, mostly at the Alexandria Hot Shoppes. Usually with fries/gravy and, of course, an Orange Freeze.

Hey Doug----with this recipe you now have Hot Shoppes heavenly trio complete........... 

Orange Freeze recipe is below.
    If you want the others you'll have to request them one at a time in separate e-mails. I will tell you that the onion rings and the mighty mo recipes are already on my website, and you can find them by using the search tool on the archives page at:
    Archives Phaed
    Orange Freeze  3/4 C orange juice 1 C orange sherbet 1 1/4" orange slice, twisted or maraschino cherry for garnish Freeze 14-16 0z soda glasses in freezer. Then remove when needed. Make sure  glasses are dry & not hot!! Place OJ & sherbert in blender and mix until well blended. consistency of  a milkshake. Pour into a frosted glass. If overblended, misture may be thin and watery,  If this occurs, add additional sherbert, one scoop at a time until the  desired consistency is reached. 

Russ
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1